Page 982 of 1015 FirstFirst ... 977978979980981982983984985986987 ... LastLast
Results 29,431 to 29,460 of 30425

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

  1. #29431
    Loveable Curmudgeon TallGuyCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach
    Posts
    19,675

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I should have phrased that differently - "as far as that kind of film with Kidman in it goes." I thought she was fine in the film, and it had its moments (the hair brushing fading into the field), I just didn't like it overall.

    The films' comparisons end at Kidman being in a horror or quasi-horror film.
    4/17 - Mogwai - El Rey (?)
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall


    Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

    Twitter, if you dare

  2. #29432
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    11,955

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    High five, gunz. That's the first thing that came to mind when I mentioned tension and atmosphere being scarier than jumpy moments. The Ring remains, to this day, the single most terrifying film I've ever seen. I saw it in the theater at 22 years of age, and slept with the lights on for two nights afterwards.
    Blair Witch Project did that to me. Was alone in my house after getting back from the theater, every little bump or scratch had me wide awake, lights on.

  3. #29433
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    20,591

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I watched the Evil Dead "remake" on Friday. I definitely haven't seen a mainstream horror movie with that much total brutal gore in a while. This thing is much worse in the category of torture porn than the Saw or Hostel movies, and it's strange to me that i haven't really heard anyone complaining about it. I guess if people aren't strapped into a chair and the violence isn't being committed by a weird fetishist than it's okay? I actually had to close my eyes and wince a few times, the close ups of limbs being sawed through linger a lot longer than necessary, this shit is just pure gross-out gore.

    It's also a bit of a stretch to even call this a remake - it's very loosely takes the idea of the evil being released from the text of the book and then taking over people's bodies from the original and that's about it. The characters and situation are totally different, and totally wooden and boring. It's really only entertaining if you are into an insane amount of violence and gore - which I am sometimes, but there really needs to be a humor behind that kind of movie to work (which is why Eli Roth's Hostel movies are so entertaining - they're really funny and really weird), and this one plays it pretty fucking straight, so in the end it's kind of punishing to watch.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

  4. #29434
    Member FEELS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA
    Posts
    2,019

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    can't wait for this!


  5. #29435
    Loveable Curmudgeon TallGuyCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach
    Posts
    19,675

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I watched a really wonderful doc last night called Ladies and Gentlemen...Mr. Leonard Cohen on Netflix. It expires on 7/23, it's only 45 minutes long, and it covers his early poetry/writing years, before he had ever really attempted music. Highly recommended, especially if you're a fan of the man's lyrics.
    4/17 - Mogwai - El Rey (?)
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall


    Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

    Twitter, if you dare

  6. #29436
    Member Grandma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Putting the "ass" in assisted living
    Posts
    1,751

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner


  7. #29437
    old school xanman86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    4,638

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    The footage they showed for the Godzilla film at the panel was so awesome. I missed the encounter thing though...

    Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1),12(2),13(1),13(2)
    Upcoming shows
    Neutral Milk Hotel 4/9, The Knife 4/15, The Dandy Warhols 4/23, First Aid Kit 5/26, Parquet Courts 5/27, The Faint 6/1, Lady Gaga 6/3, Robyn/Röyksopp 6/29, Sharon Van Etten 6/29, Deafheaven 7/2, Cloud Nothings 7/7
    Events
    Knifechella 4/11-13&18-20, SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015

  8. #29438
    Member tyles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hollyweird, CA
    Posts
    2,128

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    They are releasing Predator on blu-ray for the THIRD time. What are the odds that picture quality will be good this time? How many times can you screw up a transfer of a movie, especially that one?
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

    Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

  9. #29439
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    11,955

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    The footage they showed for the Godzilla film at the panel was so awesome. I missed the encounter thing though...
    No one cares. All we care about is pictures of you with pseudo celebs.

  10. #29440
    Member Grandma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Putting the "ass" in assisted living
    Posts
    1,751

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    I missed the encounter thing though...

  11. #29441
    old school xanman86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    4,638

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    I had a ticket for 8:30AM on Sunday and juuuust missed it by the time I got back to downtown :-(


    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    No one cares. All we care about is pictures of you with pseudo celebs.
    This is the only one I got this time around ;-)


    Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1),12(2),13(1),13(2)
    Upcoming shows
    Neutral Milk Hotel 4/9, The Knife 4/15, The Dandy Warhols 4/23, First Aid Kit 5/26, Parquet Courts 5/27, The Faint 6/1, Lady Gaga 6/3, Robyn/Röyksopp 6/29, Sharon Van Etten 6/29, Deafheaven 7/2, Cloud Nothings 7/7
    Events
    Knifechella 4/11-13&18-20, SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015

  12. #29442
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    14,995

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    That's pretty fucking cool ... cr
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  13. #29443

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Latest Grandmaster trailer does a better job...



    Also, is there any slowing Donnie Yen down? This looks bad ass.



    and this could be good?



    and this just looks ridiculous

    Last edited by KungFuJoe; 07-23-2013 at 06:28 PM.

  14. #29444
    old school ods..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,114

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    The Descent is one of the best horror movies of the last 10 years. Expecially the first half of the film. Also liked Martyrs quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    Drag Me To Hell was pretty great in 2009.
    I feel like these two movies are so overrated... I hated Drag Me to Hell in theaters and I thought the Descent had a great first half but the plot got so fucking boring and stupid by the end.

  15. #29445
    Coachella Junkie cutterbutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,330

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Hot off LACMA's tail; perhaps of some interest to LA folks in here. Mark has put out some fantastic film/tv show landscape prints since he started releasing stuff last year and Kubrick is going to be a great pairing for him I think.

    He does 12x36" stuff like this one which will be in the show:

  16. #29446
    Loveable Curmudgeon TallGuyCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach
    Posts
    19,675

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    It's pretty amazing how expectations can affect things. After being really astounded by Bronson and especially Valhalla Rising, I couldn't contain my excitement when Nicolas Winding Refn announced he was going to be releasing Drive. But the film didn't nearly meet my expectations, I should go back and watch it again but I pretty strongly disliked it.

    So, after hearing nothing but really negative things about Only God Forgives, I went in not expecting a whole lot at all. I thought it was spectacular. I totally get why it's been a really poorly received film, though. It's very alienating, incredibly violent, and the script is laughable at times. But this film is impeccably made - stylistically it reminded me a lot of The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut, of all films (I later found out the latter was shot by the same person). There were several scenes with very little dialogue and drawn out stares between characters, something that can become almost farcical if not done right, but it was really affective in this. The score and sound design were absolutely harrowing...the characters were these petrified shells that rarely spoke, but when they did it was often with complete silence around them, reminding me of David Lynch at times as well. Vithaya Pansringarm played one of the most ruthless villains in recent memory, and Kristin Scott Thomas was sensational as the crime family matriarch. This isn't a comfortable film to watch. It'll make you squirm several times throughout. But go into it with an open mind and let it overtake you.
    4/17 - Mogwai - El Rey (?)
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall


    Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

    Twitter, if you dare

  17. #29447
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    20,591

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Speaking of which, i just completed ADR for Bryan Cranston for the television broadcast of Drive about 15 minutes ago. He only swears in 2 quick lines so it was a piece of cake...I feel bad for the people that are going to have to dub Ron Pearlman's lines.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

  18. #29448
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Drive is also the name of the X Files episode that launched Cranston's career. /boring aside

  19. #29449
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    20,591

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Ha, I actually was looking at his wikipedia page yesterday to see if another project I worked on had been announced and read that.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

  20. #29450
    Member tyles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hollyweird, CA
    Posts
    2,128

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    What did they change his lines to?

    I miss the days of bad curse word substitutes, such as:

    "Yipee-Kiyay, Mister Falcon!"

    "He told me to go stuff myself, and then he called me a maggot."

    "I used to call the old man funny names. 'Iron Butt.' 'Boner.' Once I even called him... 'airhead.'"

    and my personal favorite,

    "This town is like one big chicken, just waiting to get plucked."
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

    Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

  21. #29451
    Member zircona1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    1,268

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    What did they change his lines to?

    I miss the days of bad curse word substitutes, such as:

    "Yipee-Kiyay, Mister Falcon!"

    "He told me to go stuff myself, and then he called me a maggot."

    "I used to call the old man funny names. 'Iron Butt.' 'Boner.' Once I even called him... 'airhead.'"

    and my personal favorite,

    "This town is like one big chicken, just waiting to get plucked."
    Don't forget this one, from The Big Lebowski:

    'This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!'
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

  22. #29452
    Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brentwood, CA
    Posts
    6,150

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Latest Grandmaster trailer does a better job...
    I caught The Grandmaster at the Academy theater (with Wong Kar-Wai Q&A moderated by Matthew Weiner) on Monday night. I think it's inarguably a mess...but it was still pleasurable for me, and a definite course-correction from the dreadful My Blueberry Nights.

    First thing to establish - it's not a biography of Ip Man (a character whose blankness is supplemented by the virtually-guaranteed charisma of Tony Leung) regardless of what the press notes, Wong, or even some parts of the film claim it to be. In fact, Wong omits so much of Ip's story (and I'm talking huge life events that would immediately count as set pieces in almost any non-Haynes biopic) via voiceovers or title cards that it reminded me of Bresson, so singular is the director's focus on the segments that play directly to his lifelong thematic obsessions (you guessed it - unrequited love over a long stretch of time). There are also prolonged stretches where his exquisite visual stylings are as potent as ever, especially in a jaw-dropping fight sequence at a train station that serves as a microcosm for the whole film - gorgeous, poetic, and wholly uninterested in its purported subject (Ip Man isn't even in the scene). Where the film fails to earn the Bresson comparison on a qualitative basis is in its lack of restraint toward the pieces that don't fit into Wong's wheelhouse; most of the scenes that don't involve Ip's lingering non-relationship with Gong Er (the ever-radiant Zhang Zhiyi) have a palpably low pulse, and probably should have been excised altogether. Moreover, the half-hearted commitment to biographical convention manifests in several emphatic, Cinderella Man-style scenario establishments - voiceover identifies the location/date of the next storybeat, followed by a cut to that location with a title card that repeats the same info - which exist for no discernible reason, and only serve to highlight the yawning chasms in the narrative when viewed from the prism of Story of Ip Man. I'm not sure how the blame for this conviction deficit is to be distributed between Wong's legendary indecisiveness, and Harvey Weinstein's legendary intolerance for screen time; as much as Wong's allegiance to each scene varies, the movie definitely feels fucked with in the same way that recalls nearly every other Weinstein film that doesn't read as Oscar bait (also, any film from Asia).

    The result, as I said, is anything but clean, but it's still absolutely worth seeing for any longtime WKW fan. I suspect that applies to many of those who will read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

  23. #29453

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Probably doesn't matter a whole lot, but what cut was it/how long was it?

    I know there was a ton cut to begin with, but I've read that it's been chopped down even more from the original 130 minute HK release.

    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I caught The Grandmaster at the Academy theater (with Wong Kar-Wai Q&A moderated by Matthew Weiner) on Monday night. I think it's inarguably a mess...but it was still pleasurable for me, and a definite course-correction from the dreadful My Blueberry Nights.

    First thing to establish - it's not a biography of Ip Man (a character whose blankness is supplemented by the virtually-guaranteed charisma of Tony Leung) regardless of what the press notes, Wong, or even some parts of the film claim it to be. In fact, Wong omits so much of Ip's story (and I'm talking huge life events that would immediately count as set pieces in almost any non-Haynes biopic) via voiceovers or title cards that it reminded me of Bresson, so singular is the director's focus on the segments that play directly to his lifelong thematic obsessions (you guessed it - unrequited love over a long stretch of time). There are also prolonged stretches where his exquisite visual stylings are as potent as ever, especially in a jaw-dropping fight sequence at a train station that serves as a microcosm for the whole film - gorgeous, poetic, and wholly uninterested in its purported subject (Ip Man isn't even in the scene). Where the film fails to earn the Bresson comparison on a qualitative basis is in its lack of restraint toward the pieces that don't fit into Wong's wheelhouse; most of the scenes that don't involve Ip's lingering non-relationship with Gong Er (the ever-radiant Zhang Zhiyi) have a palpably low pulse, and probably should have been excised altogether. Moreover, the half-hearted commitment to biographical convention manifests in several emphatic, Cinderella Man-style scenario establishments - voiceover identifies the location/date of the next storybeat, followed by a cut to that location with a title card that repeats the same info - which exist for no discernible reason, and only serve to highlight the yawning chasms in the narrative when viewed from the prism of Story of Ip Man. I'm not sure how the blame for this conviction deficit is to be distributed between Wong's legendary indecisiveness, and Harvey Weinstein's legendary intolerance for screen time; as much as Wong's allegiance to each scene varies, the movie definitely feels fucked with in the same way that recalls nearly every other Weinstein film that doesn't read as Oscar bait (also, any film from Asia).

    The result, as I said, is anything but clean, but it's still absolutely worth seeing for any longtime WKW fan. I suspect that applies to many of those who will read this.

  24. #29454
    Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brentwood, CA
    Posts
    6,150

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Probably doesn't matter a whole lot, but what cut was it/how long was it?

    I know there was a ton cut to begin with, but I've read that it's been chopped down even more from the original 130 minute HK release.
    I think the runtime was listed at 122, but it felt like it may have been even shorter. And I do think it matters to at least some degree - perhaps the areas I felt were lacking in attention were not so in Wong's former cut(s).
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

  25. #29455
    old school RageAgainstTheAoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,614

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    It's pretty amazing how expectations can affect things. After being really astounded by Bronson and especially Valhalla Rising, I couldn't contain my excitement when Nicolas Winding Refn announced he was going to be releasing Drive. But the film didn't nearly meet my expectations, I should go back and watch it again but I pretty strongly disliked it.

    So, after hearing nothing but really negative things about Only God Forgives, I went in not expecting a whole lot at all. I thought it was spectacular. I totally get why it's been a really poorly received film, though. It's very alienating, incredibly violent, and the script is laughable at times. But this film is impeccably made - stylistically it reminded me a lot of The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut, of all films (I later found out the latter was shot by the same person). There were several scenes with very little dialogue and drawn out stares between characters, something that can become almost farcical if not done right, but it was really affective in this. The score and sound design were absolutely harrowing...the characters were these petrified shells that rarely spoke, but when they did it was often with complete silence around them, reminding me of David Lynch at times as well. Vithaya Pansringarm played one of the most ruthless villains in recent memory, and Kristin Scott Thomas was sensational as the crime family matriarch. This isn't a comfortable film to watch. It'll make you squirm several times throughout. But go into it with an open mind and let it overtake you.
    Man, you totally sold me on this. Gonna have to try and catch it this week.

  26. #29456
    Member tyles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hollyweird, CA
    Posts
    2,128

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    Don't forget this one, from The Big Lebowski:

    'This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!'
    Oh man, do I love that one!
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

    Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

  27. #29457
    old school buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,526

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Man, you totally sold me on this. Gonna have to try and catch it this week.
    Don't. Nothing reedeeming or originial to see here.

  28. #29458
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    20,591

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    It's definitely extremely polarizing. i can't wait to see it - i imagine I'll really like it.

    Also, i finally got to see Stoker last night and really, really loved it. it is such a technical marvel - the cinematography is incredible, the production design immaculate (the colors in this movies are insane!), some of the most impressive sound design and sound mixing I have come across in ages, and some of the most elegant editing I have ever seen. It's filled with great performances - I'm a huge fan of Matthew Goode in general and he is such a delight in this role, and Mia Wasikowska really surprised me, she really lived that role. it's a weird script to be sure, but it's such an impeccably well put together film and mood is so haunting and weird and troubling that I found it totally compelling and fascinating from the very beginning.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

  29. #29459
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    27,680

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Don't. Nothing reedeeming or originial to see here.
    How do you feel about Refn in general?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  30. #29460
    old school buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,526

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I like most of his work, even Drive, but not this.
    Last edited by buddy; 07-25-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Bring back the Coachella Movie Lounge.
    By bballarl in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 08:34 AM
  2. Where's the movie thread?
    By amyzzz in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 09:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •