Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

I need to watch Roman Holiday again. ♥

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    I disagree. Lawrence is one of the those movies that should ONLY be seen in the theater. Its scope is lost in almost all other settings. 70mm on the biggest screen you can get to. There will certainly be an intermission as well.
    Yeah, and what does "in one sitting" mean when you're talking about a movie with a built-in intermission, anyway?

Superman was aight. Didn't love it. Cavill was good. I love Michael Shannon, but his character was too whitebread compared to the Supes 2 version. Some villains need to twirl the moustache to be memorable, and Shannon didn't do that. The best line from S2 was nowhere to be found, either. Sigh.

I did like the idea of showing us more of Krypton, I liked the look at Smallville and Clark in "First Blood" hitcher mode, and the lack of slow-motion fight scenes was preferable after all the other Snyder stuff. But yeah, the fight scenes went on long and the sequences are becoming too familiar... small town big bad guy fight... Thor. Destroy the big city... Avengers. Spunky girl outsmarting the military... Thor and Hulk. Superhero smiles creepy while figuring out how to jump/fly... Spider-man.... TWICE.

I was glad to hear Chris Cornell's "Seasons" in the movie, though, and the drum corps they collected for the drum scenes included Danny Caray, Jason Bonham, Sheila E, and Josh Freese, so that was groovy. But where was Batman when the whole world was at stake? Jerk elitist.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    I was glad to hear Chris Cornell's "Seasons" in the movie, though
    Wow, really? That's one of my favorite songs, but it had such a special place in Singles that I'm not sure I'm crazy about the idea of it being used in another film.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Probably keeping Gotham safe from the latest fuckton of destruction. Or maybe he'd already retired, so he was in France banging Catwoman.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Wow, really? That's one of my favorite songs, but it had such a special place in Singles that I'm not sure I'm crazy about the idea of it being used in another film.
    It was a fantastic moment, I think, and they didn't shaft the song with a single verse. I do lurv Singles, though.

Dear Sofia Copola,

If you are going to continue making movies for 17 year old girls you might want to start pandering to them. The showing of "The Bling Ring" I was at everyone walked away disappointed (little to my surprise), and even my gf who loves your movies thought it was shallow and uninspired. I will give you that you had a couple decent shots (much to my surprise), but that does not make up for a 90 minute movie that felt as if it were 2 hours.

Love,
    Someone who would rather be watching "Jack"
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

Dear Uncleanahole,

I’ll always live for seventeen as my Father killed me at that age, remember? The longer the film, the longer the seventeen. You mustn’t have any idea what it means to lose everything at seventeen and the power to share it back. Now add a soundtrack song, preferably one of my hip ones, and take a shower.

Forever,

Sofie
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Didn’t enjoy Oblivion either.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    It's difficult for me to imagine many people liking The Color Wheel as much as I did. It's one of the more abrasive comedies in recent memory, mining some of the nastiest sentiments imaginable for increasingly bruising laughs....and yet it ultimately involves into a somewhat devastating study of intimacy. I don't know how to describe it further without fucking up the experience, but if you have Amazon Instant Video or iTunes synched to your TV, I would highly recommend this one. I'm pissed I didn't see this 16mm gem on film when it played the Downtown Indie last summer.
    Yeah, I just watched this and didn't care for it at all.

I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Last week of the Kubrick exhibit at lacma. June 30 is the last day. Don't be an idiot.

I went yesterday. It was incredible. So much to read and look at.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I watched Deepa Mehta's Water tonight. It expires on Netflix Instant in a few days, I don't remember how I heard of it in the first place, but it was really good. A story about widows in 1938 India living in a temple, and how religious oppression affects their lives, brainwashes them, etc. A very powerful film, and the cinematography was just gorgeous.

Check it out if you've got some free time between now and Sunday night, I probably would have never watched it if I had let it expire.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

In other news, NYMPHOMANIAC SNEAK PEAK MOTHERFUCKERS

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I watched Deepa Mehta's Water tonight. It expires on Netflix Instant in a few days, I don't remember how I heard of it in the first place, but it was really good. A story about widows in 1938 India living in a temple, and how religious oppression affects their lives, brainwashes them, etc. A very powerful film, and the cinematography was just gorgeous.

Check it out if you've got some free time between now and Sunday night, I probably would have never watched it if I had let it expire.
    I loved this movie. The other two in trilogy (Fire and Earth) are supposed to be fantastic as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

For those who weren't able to make it to the Kubrick exhibit
    http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsono...bit-video-tour
    Last edited by buddy; 07-01-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I loved this movie. The other two in trilogy (Fire and Earth) are supposed to be fantastic as well.
    I saw this back in 2005 at the San Jose film festival with the director there to introduce the film yet I had no idea it was part of a trilogy. I'll have to go back and revisit.

What I watched in June:

Cloud Atlas - Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski, Lana Wachowski - 78
    Man of Steel - Zack Snider - 78
    Monsters University - Dan Scanlon - 89
    Goldfinger - Guy Hamilton - 90
    The Killing - Stanley Kubrick - 88
    Killers Kiss - Stanley Kubrick - 85
    Sunrise - F. W. Murnau - 100
    Thunderball - Terence Young - 72
    Moonrise Kingdom - Wes Anderson - 90
    Rumble in the Bronx - Stanley Tong - 82
    Before Midnight - Richard Linklater - 96
    This is the End - Evan Goldberg, Seth Rogen - 84
    X Men: First Class - Matthew Vaughn - 93

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1),12(2),13(1),13(2)
    Upcoming shows
    The Dandy Warhols 4/23, First Aid Kit 5/26, Parquet Courts 5/27, The Faint 6/1, Lady Gaga 6/3, Robyn/Röyksopp 6/28, Sharon Van Etten 6/29, Deafheaven 7/2, Cloud Nothings 7/7
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    For those who weren't able to make it to the Kubrick exhibit
    http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsono...bit-video-tour
    Very nice. i just put up some pictures as well.

We're more than halfway through the year and I'm bored, so what the heck. Here are my favorite movies of the year so far.

1. The Grandmaster
    2. Before Midnight
    3. Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons
    4. Stoker
    5. Trance

As usual, there are at least a half dozen films I wanted to catch but still haven't that would maybe make this list, but I enjoyed all of the above and am sure at least two of them will make my year end list.

Edit: My favorite film of 2012, The Hunt, opens next week. Go see it.
    Last edited by KungFuJoe; 07-06-2013 at 10:22 AM.

I haven't seen a ton from this year so far, but here are my rankings:

1. Upstream Color
    2. Frances Ha
    3. Before Midnight
    4. Spring Breakers
    5. The Great Gatsby
    6. To the Wonder
    7. Sound City
    8. Side Effects
    9. Stoker

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I watched Luis Bunuel's The Exterminating Angel last night. That has got to be the greatest ending to a film I've ever seen. Although I liked it, I wasn't completely enamored with the rest of it, but that ending. Completely blew me away.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I fucking hated Frances Ha - or at least, the first 20 minutes before I walked out in disgust. Still need to see Before Midnight, and also Laurence Anyways and You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet! - hopefully this week.

I don't like to make lists until it's time to publish it and leave it alone, but Upstream is definitely the class of 2013 so far, along with Spring Breakers, Mud and To the Wonder. Keeping in mind, of course, that I considered Post Tenebras Lux a 2012 film even though it came out this summer.

I caught Ben Wheatley's Sightseers On Demand yesterday and found it quite entertaining. I don't want to say too much about what it entails, but if you're looking for a violent dark comedy with style to burn, it's a worthy choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

That guy is churning out movies quick. His newest just debuted last week in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

1. Monsters University - Absolute bliss. Smile on my face the entire time. Wrapped up in a world only Pixar can weave. Could never ask for more going to the theater.

2. Upstream Color - From the cinematography, sound design, and screenplay this movie was an absolute breath of fresh air. A jump forward in film making if I ever saw one in this age. Relentless in its balance of keeping you in the dark but throwing you bits to keep you captivated. Viewed it 5 times now, still as if it was the first time.

2. Before Midnight - Beautifully painful. The journey goes to its next logical place, for better or worse. Acting and dialogue are as top notch as the other entries in the series.

3. Stoker - Dripping violent stunning style. Had no expectations of this movie other then my prior exposure to Park Chan-wook's films, and when I left the theater I was frozen and scared. I felt the way I had heard people walking out of Psycho in 1960.

4. Trance - A unique psychological romp through the british underground. Surprising turns and entertaining filmmaking I expect in every Boyle film. Really good time with this one.

5. Francis Ha - A lovely little film. Captures the confusion of identity, place, and life importance through fun character interactions. A more down to earth film version of HBO's GIRLS. Have not enjoyed a Baumbach film as much since The Squid and The Whale.

6. Spring Breakers - What more can be said. A wild ride. Rainbow infused cinematography showing a world completely parallel to any that we see on the day to day. Can not think of a film that shows the dark side of decadence in such an effective manner. DEFINITELY not what it appears on the surface.

7. This Is The End - An insane comedy that does everything and THEN SOME to be over the top AND actually hits its mark? Had a ton of fun with this one with a bunch of friends. Shockingly good.

8. Mud - What felt like a fresh approach to the coming of age story. Fantastic child actor performances and easily the best of Matthew McConaughey's career. In a sea of movies where even the "indie flicks" are trying to be bombastic, the pacing and level headed approach of this one really gained a lot of my admiration. Don't skip it!

9. Much Ado About Nothing - On a whim I checked out a movie I thought I would have zero interest in (or ability to sit through), but Joss Whedon used his stable of actors to their fullest here. Assembling the words of Shakespeare in a fun and manageable setting is a feat on its own, but providing new modern humor and style along the way deserves everyone's attention.

10. Post Tenebras Lux - The movie that could easily sit at #1 for many reason or be ignored entirely for many reasons. A beautiful sprawl through the fragments of a director's childhood recollections, current life, and what I assume to be religious based fears. Really something else, that I find truly indescribable... for better or worse.

Honorable Mention:
    Pain & Gain - Fuck it. Saw it on a whim when I was bored one day. Absolute insanity, accomplishes everything a misogynistic pig like Michael Bay could ever want to do within the limits of his career he has created for himself. A stunning wild ride not to be missed. Everything that was pent up by filming CGI robots for the last decade is released in a fury of insanity.

Would still like to see To The Wonder, just keep missing it and the home video release day could not come quick enough.

the fuck?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Holy shit hahahahaha
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

wow

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1),12(2),13(1),13(2)
    Upcoming shows
    The Dandy Warhols 4/23, First Aid Kit 5/26, Parquet Courts 5/27, The Faint 6/1, Lady Gaga 6/3, Robyn/Röyksopp 6/28, Sharon Van Etten 6/29, Deafheaven 7/2, Cloud Nothings 7/7
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015

I know someone who worked on it. She said it's awful. Which is a shame, the original is one of my all-time favorites.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare