Page 975 of 1035 FirstFirst ... 970971972973974975976977978979980 ... LastLast
Results 29,221 to 29,250 of 31039

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Amazon and Best Buy are having sales on Criterion discs currently.
    Damn. I really didn't need to hear this. I better stay away from both of those until the sale is over.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    ATTENTION LOS ANGELES:

The best film I saw in 2012 finally has a proper release, and at the place it was meant to be seen:
    http://www.cinefamily.org/films/carl...enebras-lux-67
    This needs to be bumped.
    12/22 - Beachwood Sparks, et al - Echoplex
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Update from SIFF:
    David Gordon Green's latest effort, Prince Avalanche, may not quite be the return to form that many have hoped for but it's pretty damn close. It's sometimes sunk by some of the braindead macho sensibilities of Judd Apatow, but it has many scenes approaching the lyrical beauty that made George Washington so special. Paul Rudd does some nice work using his usual smugness to hide his concealed insecurities, while Emile Hirsch doesn't have quite as much to work with and sometimes comes across as cartoonish. Overall I'd say it's fairly close to reaching the artistic peak of the bromance.

P.S. Green was in attendance and didn't add too much other than revealing that he wrote the film in about three days and they used melted gummy bears to approximate a run-over turtle.

P.P.S. There is also quite a nice score by Explosions in the Sky.
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    Overall I'd say it's fairly close to reaching the artistic peak of the bromance.
    Love this.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    This needs to be bumped.
    Yes, it does!

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    Update from SIFF:
    David Gordon Green's latest effort, Prince Avalanche, may not quite be the return to form that many have hoped for but it's pretty damn close. It's sometimes sunk by some of the braindead macho sensibilities of Judd Apatow, but it has many scenes approaching the lyrical beauty that made George Washington so special. Paul Rudd does some nice work using his usual smugness to hide his concealed insecurities, while Emile Hirsch doesn't have quite as much to work with and sometimes comes across as cartoonish. Overall I'd say it's fairly close to reaching the artistic peak of the bromance.

P.S. Green was in attendance and didn't add too much other than revealing that he wrote the film in about three days and they used melted gummy bears to approximate a run-over turtle.

P.P.S. There is also quite a nice score by Explosions in the Sky.
    I'm a little disappointed to hear it's not great, but I guess that's to be expected. I also wouldn't have thought DGG to be great at Q&A's, but in discussing his quick script, did he acknowledge that it's a remake of a recent Icelandic film?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I'm unable to make it that night but figured some people might be interested in this...

http://cinespia.org/event/princess-bride/
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

I also wouldn't have thought DGG to be great at Q&A's, but in discussing his quick script, did he acknowledge that it's a remake of a recent Icelandic film?
    Yes he did, and that film in fact played at SIFF last year.
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Had an opportunity to see the new Ben Stiller version of "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty". No comparisons to the earlier, since I've never seen it, but it's a dramedy very similar to Will Ferrell's "Stranger Than Fiction", and I liked both a great deal. It's definitely not a broad, dull comedy, it's more of an exploration of how lives work and how we all rely on each other to have a fulfilling life.

Anyhow, I only bring it up here because the movie is music-savvy as all hell. The Pixies, Arcade Fire, Jane's Addiction, and Rogue Wave all have songs in the film (and others I've forgotten), and one of the big actors has a line about how sometimes you need to step away from the camera and just live in the moment... something guys like Eddie Vedder have been requesting a lot recently. There was even a cameo by the Icelandic volcano that erupted a few years ago and cost us some Coachella acts! (Gary Numan still hasn't come back, right?)

Oh, and if anybody thinks I shouldn't be sharing this information, just assume I'm a compulsive liar and none of this really happened. The sky is pink, water is dry.

I watched VHS 2 on demand tonight! If you liked the first, you will like this one. Definitely worth the 10 bucks.

Upstream Color, arguably the best film of 2013 so far, is now available on Netflix Instant.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

gah, i need help. I have to critically analyze a cross cultural documentary and present relations of filmmaker/subject/viewer in terms of reflexivity, ethics and blah blah blah for my class as a final. I really wanted to do it on the new Pussy Riot doc but I can't find access to it anywhere. All my picks are taken. Born into Brothels, Cannibal tours, Devil's Playground, Titicut Follies, Man With the Movie Camera, Chronicle of Summer, Reassemblage, State of Mind and Promises are the movies we've seen in class as references.

Anyone have any scholarly ideas for a good doc to examine?

Upstream Color, arguably the best film of 2013 so far, is now available on Netflix Instant.
    YESSS. I'll have to add that to my queue. Thanks, Chris.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Slacker film student mode: Triumph of the Will

Quote Originally Posted by djbionik View Post
    gah, i need help. I have to critically analyze a cross cultural documentary and present relations of filmmaker/subject/viewer in terms of reflexivity, ethics and blah blah blah for my class as a final. I really wanted to do it on the new Pussy Riot doc but I can't find access to it anywhere. All my picks are taken. Born into Brothels, Cannibal tours, Devil's Playground, Titicut Follies, Man With the Movie Camera, Chronicle of Summer, Reassemblage, State of Mind and Promises are the movies we've seen in class as references.

Babies. Fuck those San Francisco hipster parents and their raising of child in a culturally diverse environment while the Asian and African babies crawl on dirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    12/21 Dillon Francis @Shrine - 12/27 IAMX @Complex - 12/31 IAMX @Slims - 1/3 Foxygen @Roxy - 1/4 Buddy Nielsen @Constellation Room - 1/14 Run The Jewels @Regent

Yeah, Babies is great. Very humbling.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Thanks for the heads up, almost rented this the other night.

Quote Originally Posted by djbionik View Post

There's an interesting Thai hooker/brothel documentary - "Whore's Glory" - on Netflix. I don't know if that suffices, but it was interesting background stuff while I played Halo 4.

Recently watched Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, two amazing, incredibly well done movies. Even in more in love with Ethan Hawke!

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Babies. Fuck those San Francisco hipster parents and their raising of child in a culturally diverse environment while the Asian and African babies crawl on dirt.
    Babies! I did watch that once. And it is a pretty great film for the purpose of this class. No words, even. Much easier. Didn't the Asian baby have it the best though? Hipster japanese parents with everything to give? Thanks for reminding me!

Is anyone seeing MAN OF STEEL next weekend?
    Seems like ages waiting for this movie...
    but no critic reviews yet have me worried...
    Hopefully they won't wait for opening day for critics to review it.

There's an embargo placed by WB until the 12th.

I cannot wait to see Man of Steel. Hopefully it's good

It will be, have faith. Im hoping that there is a huge plot twist at the end and WB is trying to keep it secret for as long as they can.
    09,10,12w1,13w1,14w1

Saw "Now You See Me" today on a whim. Went to the theater planning to see the new Star Trek, but at the last second went with the former after the guy in front of me grabbed a ticket for it. Walked in with absolutely no idea what it was about and must say that was one of the most enjoyable movie experiences I have had in a long while.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 06-08-2013 at 07:01 PM.

A second viewing of Post Tenebras Lux at Cinefamily this afternoon confirmed my adoration for the film. The new projector looks absolutely stellar, and it was a real treat to see it on the big screen again.

Highly, highly recommended.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Post Tenebras Lux was absolutely gorgeous. Though, the EXTREMELY shallow depth of field was very distracting to me at times given the film is in 4:3 ratio. A lot of the side distortion would encroach in on the subject and make it hard to keep track of movement, even at times doubling objects. When it was working it was extremely effective in drawing you into the dream like haze of children's POV or the naturalist scenes of the county side, but it felt extremely unneeded for the full film.

Plot wise, need some more time to think upon it. Reminds me of how I felt walking out of Tree of Life more then anything recently. But yeah, go grab a couch and enjoy it while you can.

Monday, June 10th: 4:00pm
    Tuesday, June 11th: 10:40pm
    Wednesday, June 12th: 10:15pm
    Thursday, June 13th: 7:30pm
    http://www.cinefamily.org/films/carl...-lux-69-1045pm

Quote Originally Posted by flaminggodlikecreature View Post
    Is anyone seeing MAN OF STEEL next weekend?
    Seems like ages waiting for this movie...
    but no critic reviews yet have me worried...
    Hopefully they won't wait for opening day for critics to review it.
    Reviews are pouring in. Mostly very very positive. I've excited, going Thursday night!

How is anyone excited for anything Snyder puts out at this point?
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

I loved Now You See Me as well. Although it definitely requires a major suspension belief. But it's worth it.
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    How is anyone excited for anything Snyder puts out at this point?
    Bro, are you seriously not excited for 300: Rise of an Empire?!?

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare