Page 973 of 1027 FirstFirst ... 968969970971972973974975976977978 ... LastLast
Results 29,161 to 29,190 of 30802

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

I'll go first - it makes me mad that the pretty lady that Gad-spy wants is in the new Coen Bros. film, because she's fucking Kryptonite for me as a viewer?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I agree on Leo's accent and his rage scenes. But the guy has got charisma! I can't wait to see Gatsby -- it's in 3D???
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I'll go first - it makes me mad that the pretty lady that Gad-spy wants is in the new Coen Bros. film, because she's fucking Kryptonite for me as a viewer?
    I understood about as much of this as I did Vigo's.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I thought you liked her in Shame? I have a similarly tough time with her, and this is the first performance of hers where she wasn't like "I'm ACTING!!!"
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The actress is married to someone in Mumford and Sons. Sorry I'm boring.

I do like Leo also; I became a big fan after seeing the Departed.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Apparently, this critic i've never heard of doesn't like Refn's new film.

Movies really don't get much worse than Nicholas Winding Refn's 'Only God Forgives. It's a shit macho fantasy — hyper violent, ethically repulsive, sad, nonsensical, deathly dull, snail-paced, idiotic, possibly woman-hating, visually suffocating, pretentious. I realize I sound like Rex Reed on one of his rants, but trust me, please — this is a defecation by an over-praised, over-indulged director who thinks anything he craps out is worthy of your time. I felt violated, shat upon, sedated, narcotized, appalled and bored stiff.
    http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2...e-morning-air/
    Last edited by buddy; 05-22-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Then again, most people "meh'd" over Moulin Rouge, which we found absolutely excellent.
    I've never heard anyone describe Moulin Rouge as meh. Personally, I couldn't sit through more than 15 minutes of it, but it's admittedly not my style of movie. Everyone I've talked to has loved it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    I've never heard anyone describe Moulin Rouge as meh. Personally, I couldn't sit through more than 15 minutes of it, but it's admittedly not my style of movie. Everyone I've talked to has loved it.
    I didn't mind Moulin Rouge, it was meh for me too. Typically I love musicals but one thing I never understood was why Chicago was so celebrated. I thought it was awful.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I didn't mind Moulin Rouge, it was meh for me too. Typically I love musicals but one thing I never understood was why Chicago was so celebrated. I thought it was awful.
    Chicago was another one that I only saw 15 minutes of... and then I fell asleep. I was wide awake before starting the movie.
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

i turned off Chicago after 20 minutes out of pure hatred. Fucking movie fucking sucks.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Chicago was another one that I only saw 15 minutes of... and then I fell asleep. I was wide awake before starting the movie.
    Tried to watch it while visiting my parents and after about 15 minutes we all asked each other, anyone enjoying this? Nope. Off.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post

This dude liked it. http://twitchfilm.com/2013/05/cannes...-forgives.html

Few films are as anticipated around Twitch as Nicolas Winding Refn's follow-up to Drive and re-teaming with Ryan Gosling, Only God Forgives. The film has had its premier at Cannes and boy is it going to be divisive. More art film than drama, this is an immaculately constructed production where every shot is a masterpiece. Just try to look away.

From Cliff Martinez's score that alternates between full orchestral and electronic piano to some of the most exquisite production design and cinematography ever put to film, this is a cinematic feast for the senses. Even the special effects makeup work is brilliant with every sliced off body part squirting out just the right amount of practical blood. Oh and there is plenty of blood.

While many will surely argue that this is all at the expense of story, there is enough of one here to keep things moving, even if barely, and Kristin Scott Thomas is everything she's advertised to be. Get ready, the most badass art film ever is coming your way.

I posted it because I found the the review funny. I actually enjoy Refn's work, and am interested to see the new one.
    Last edited by buddy; 05-22-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Pretty much sums up my feelings about Drive. I do plan on giving Only God Forgives a fair shake, though.
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Jeff Wells is not a critic.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I understood about as much of this as I did Vigo's.
    It's a new high (low?) for me to be as disagreeable as Vigo is incomprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I thought you liked her in Shame? I have a similarly tough time with her, and this is the first performance of hers where she wasn't like "I'm ACTING!!!"
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Pretty much sums up my feelings about Drive. I do plan on giving Only God Forgives a fair shake, though.
    Uniting these two conversations....I liked Mulligan in Shame, and I like looking at photographs of her, but I strongly dislike every one of the five films I've seen her in (and her performances in the other four), including the one in current release. Only God Forgives may prove to be more hollow bullshit with Gosling on autopilot, but not having her in it will automatically endear it to me.

Well, it got no love from the Academy, didn't make much at the box office, and was much less loved than "Chicago!", which was completely forgettable in comparison. That spells "meh" to meh.

Throw in these kind of reviews: "[Luhrmann] gives you way too much of what you didn't really want in the first place: soulless high jinks." "But its sense of fun is so relentless and excessive, it all ends up being extremely tedious and shallow." "The net result of all this cinematic whirling, of the "wrong" music and of the parodic plot, is that nothing at all in the film moves us."

Really excited for VHS2. Loved the first one and this one looks to be on the same level.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ih0AseYg4s

Yeah, Moulin Rouge got panned at the time. All the girls I knew in high school loved it, so I've seen it dozens of times and pretty much love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Justin170 View Post
    Really excited for VHS2. Loved the first one and this one looks to be on the same level.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ih0AseYg4s
    I just watched the original over the weekend. It was fairly entertaining and jumpy but the entire time, and especially at the end, I couldn't help but wonder...what was the point of all of it?
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Definitely no point, but a fun ride none the less. Really liked the exorcism story at the end.

Lawrence of Arabia finally playing in 70mm at the Egyptian: http://www.americancinemathequecalen...ce-of-arabia-8
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Well, it got no love from the Academy, didn't make much at the box office, and was much less loved than "Chicago!", which was completely forgettable in comparison. That spells "meh" to meh.

Throw in these kind of reviews: "[Luhrmann] gives you way too much of what you didn't really want in the first place: soulless high jinks." "But its sense of fun is so relentless and excessive, it all ends up being extremely tedious and shallow." "The net result of all this cinematic whirling, of the "wrong" music and of the parodic plot, is that nothing at all in the film moves us."
    The movie has a 7.6 rating on IMDB with over 164k votes. So, while critics and the "Academy" find it meh (although it won 2 oscars and was nominated for several more, including Best Picture), it would seem that most people do not. I have a very hard time sitting through musicals, which makes me feel meh about most of them.

It also grossed over 57m in the US, which is more than it's budget (but not by much). I would say it was pretty successful, and doesn't really spell "meh", even if I disagree.

I loved Chicago. I actually need to buy another copy because my kids scratched up the old one. And Moulin Rouge was amazing! So ridiculous but heartfelt as well.

Please help - is there any site that will list ALL showings of a movie in Southern California? I desperately need to see Evil Dead but it's only playing at a 1.5 star theater in City of Commerce.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

I just got back from seeing The Great Grandpa Gangbang, weird crowd for that one...

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Please help - is there any site that will list ALL showings of a movie in Southern California? I desperately need to see Evil Dead but it's only playing at a 1.5 star theater in City of Commerce.
    If you have the Flixster app, you can search by movie, then "Get Showtimes" and change the distance and go as far out as 100 miles. I just checked and that Commerce theatre is the only one that comes up.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

maybe you should have seen it 6 weeks ago when it came out
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

his okcupid girl doe; she likes the gore