Page 971 of 1030 FirstFirst ... 966967968969970971972973974975976 ... LastLast
Results 29,101 to 29,130 of 30880

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

THEY FINALLY ADDED IT TO NETFLIX

RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Article about Terrence Malick, including a lot on what he worked on in the missing 20 years. Which, as it points out given his standard time between releases only would suggest we missed 2 or 3 films.

Not entirely unrelatedly, at least in style, I saw Post Tenebras Lux yesterday. It was consistently interesting, frequently beautiful, had great sound design and was very well directed. His least narrative film, it bounced around in time, mood and mode of effectiveness enough that I didn't quite connect as strongly as I had hoped. It was a strong, amazing film and I'd recommend it wholeheartedly but it's missing something.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

I've been around the house lately (a million resumes to Texas), and watching a ton of movies. Here's a rundown.

The Great GatsbyI liked this a great deal more than any of the critics. Yeah, I'm a Luhrmann and Leo fan, so this was an easy like... but I hated the book and felt like the movie is a little "behind the times" - in that if it came out a decade ago people would have shot their loads all over the screen, but in the age of big, bold, nice looking movies, it's kind of forgotten. All the performances were terrific, it looked great, and I actually gave a crap about the outcome, unlike when I read the book. If you haven't seen it and are considering it - do it. At the very worst it's a great looking 3D picture that should be seen in a theater. Probably would have been better as a musical by Luhrmann.

The latest Final Destination movie I don't remember which number it is, 5 or whatever, but it was good. I mean, dumb, but they always cast well and make the near-murders edge-of-your-seat stuff, and the tie-in to the other movies was well-placed. It's not rocket science, but if you like cringing every time someone moves, walks, stands up, etc... it's effective. Like a silly roller coaster.

Texas Chainsaw Surprisingly not awful. I mean, awful, but not awful. Major tie-ins to the original movie made it kind of interesting, the lead actress was very effective (and she has great eyes/contacts/whatever), and it looked good. I've seen pretty much all of these chainsaw movies, and I expected worse. Granted, the bad guys were completely absurd in the movie, but it's a horror movie. It happens.

Killer Joe Watched this because the strong cast and William Friedkin. It was compelling, but mostly because Matthew McConaughey was so crazy and wide-eyed. I would not so much recommend this movie as not recommend it - it was one of those "stupid people committing crime" movies - but the hyper-violent craziness had an edge some folks might be intrigued by. Note that I didn't say "enjoy".

Abraham Lincoln Kills Some Vampires Oh my God, what a deathly boring thing. It was there, playing in the background, and I barely wanted to look up. It was more of a Lincoln biopic than "Lincoln". Blah. What a waste of millions of dollars of CG.

Hansel and Gretel Kill Some Witches Garbage. Totally a sequel to "Van Helsing" or something, which was also garbage. What's more, it was extremely mean-spirited, with lots of really violent sequences involving dudes beating up women and people getting their heads squashed. It was bad, really bad. Never mind that Hansel and Gretel were bro and sis and he had an American accent and she was British. Yuck.

Room 237 Here we go! Something worth watching! I loved this documentary, even though it's half horseshit. Being a fan of the whole "Kubrick and the Moon landing" babble, it was awesome to see it in an accessible format. Beware - watching this will make you want to watch more Kubrick movies, and good movies in general. Not for the faint of heart, or for anyone who hasn't seen "The Shining" yet.

Hotel Transylvania Silly. Looks fantastic. Entertaining in the way that your nephew is over and you wanna surf the net while he's watching the tube, so you put it on and laugh once in a while. Adam Sandler's annoying voice could have ruined the movie, but it didn't. Nice job to all the artists and sound designers and stuff. I'd still rather have the kids watch "The Emperor's New Groove" or "Fantastic Mr. Fox", but it's not as bad as some of the forgettable animated junk.

Oh, and I watched the entire "Freaks and Geeks" series. Obviously you should all do that, since it's on Netflix and only 18 episodes.

Star Trek was awesome. That is all.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Star Trek was a mess. A super fun mess.

Heck yes. ^
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

oh god I can't wait to see Star Trek and The Great Gatsby, but I have to see Oblivion before it leaves the theatre. Glad to see the positive reviews.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

So I just recently finished reading The Count of Monte Critso and decided to watch the movie of it last night, the one that came out in 02 I think. I remember it being pretty bad when I first saw it but after reading the book holly shit that is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I can't believe how they just completely ignored the book so much. I understand movies often change parts and cut things out of books for time constraint reasons but seriously holy shit I've never seen a movie just butcher a book up so much. Maybe if you never read the book then it wont be as bad but I just feel like this movie was a slap in the face to Dumas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Heck yes. ^
    Seconded. Particularly the duct tape over Lars' mouth.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

and in related news, Godzilla will fuck up San Francisco

Noah Baumbach's new one, Frances Ha, is phenomenal. It's several things (cute, endearing, charming, funny, clever) without overdoing any of them. Go see it!
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Noah Baumbach's new one, Frances Ha, is phenomenal. It's several things (cute, endearing, charming, funny, clever) without overdoing any of them. Go see it!
    Is this the one where Greta Gerwig acts sincere and damaged, but awkwardly attractive nonetheless?

Just kidding. I enjoy Baumbach's stuff. It's mildly disposable but good for a couple hours.

It's so much more enjoyable than Greenberg, if that will sway anyone towards seeing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Seconded. Particularly the duct tape over Lars' mouth.
    What is this?
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Woah, I distinctly thought that Lars Von Trier was a lot older than that for some reason.

Also: I failed to see Frances Ha last night because it was sold out and I was running late. But Daniel did and hopefully will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by iv3rdawG View Post
    It's so much more enjoyable than Greenberg, if that will sway anyone towards seeing it.
    I actually enjoyed Greenburg, and all the positive reviews for his new film are promising.

Yeah, I agree with Chris about Frances Ha. It's Baumbach's best film since The Squid and the Whale, and it's not nearly as bitter as Margot at the Wedding or Greenberg, which is refreshing. The choice of B&W was interesting but it works pretty well. It gives the film a very French New Wave feel, with shades of vintage Woody Allen.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

EVERYONE SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT WHATEVER YOU'RE NOT SHUTTING THE FUCK UP ABOUT, TRAILER FOR THE NEW JODOROWSKY

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

love

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

I suppose this belongs here. I have never watched the Michael Bay Transformers movies, but I just caught the tail end of one on cable.

I mean, the design of the robots is completely horrible, right? They all looked kind of alike and it was impossible to tell what was what. Each Transformer looked like a Rorschach test.

And also, I couldn't understand a fucking thing any of the robots were saying. Is that how it is in all of them? what is this? WHAT IS THIS?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Did you ever watch transformers?
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Perfume Genius @ The Independent 10/21/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14
    The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore 11/20/14
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/14

Last.fm

They have some Transformers in the 2nd one that talk with very bad Hispanic accents. There is also a giant Decepticon composed of several construction vehicles, with a pair of wrecking balls as the robot's testicles.

Did you ever watch transformers?
    As a kid? Religiously. It and Masters of the Universe dominated my formative years. I'm just kind of shocked by the character designs. It's really hard to tell what is going on with any of the robots. Megatron is just like an amorphous silver blob.
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I think the movie shit but theyre talking about the spark of life.
    Translation

Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14

Last.fm

Terence Malick's The Spark of Life

Also hockey pucks move too fast.
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    EVERYONE SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT WHATEVER YOU'RE NOT SHUTTING THE FUCK UP ABOUT, TRAILER FOR THE NEW JODOROWSKY

This looks fucking unbelievable. It's hard to believe that he's coming off a hiatus that eclipses Malick's, but it appears his comeback will be every bit as seamless.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Where should i start for Jodorowsky.i want to watch the most difficult to watch film hes made like i did with Satantango for Béla Tarr.
    Translation

Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14

Last.fm