Page 969 of 1028 FirstFirst ... 964965966967968969970971972973974 ... LastLast
Results 29,041 to 29,070 of 30835

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

That second review is one of the worst poems I've ever read.

Saw Upstream Color last night..not entirely sure what happened though...

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I mentioned Place Beyond the Pines - the problem is that it kind of sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Well kids, the movie year is still young, but we have an early front-runner for biggest disappointment of 2013. The Place Beyond the Pines - Derek Cianfrance's follow-up to my Best of 2010 pick Blue Valentine - is mostly a wipeout.

The film lends itself easily to a Twitter joke equating it with my last Gosling-fronted whipping boy, but the truth is it fails for me in almost the opposite fashion of Drive, and ultimately a bit moreso. While Refn's last seemed almost defiant in its refusal of anything approaching substance, Pines is lousy with effort to say something big; problem is, its thesis on the connection between fathers and sons leads to a suffocating, sometimes groan-inducing sense of predetermination, reductive enough to rob both male and female psychology of any real complexity. I admire Cianfrance's attempt to expand his range - in particular, his eschewing of the cross-cutting that dominated Blue Valentine yields an engrossing structure - but it's pretty clear that his strength is not melodrama; it's difficult to fully enjoy this film even on a superficial level when nearly every major beat is explicitly telegraphed visually and textually. It's somewhat watchable for the things that work - Cianfrance is still a master director of actors, and the grainy 35mm lensing by Sean Bobbit is mostly appealing - but I can't find a way to classify this as anything but a major letdown.

I saw Upstream Color again on Saturday - my love is confirmed.

I also saw To the Wonder on Friday night. I'm really not sure what I thought of it.....I know that some things (cinematography, obviously) worked, that some things (the performances by most of the professional actors, Affleck and McAdams in particular) did not work, and that there's a hell of a lot more to it than I had maybe anticipated. I feel like it's about something (or many things) drastically different than I got out of it on first viewing, so I'm planning to catch it again next week to see if I can get a better handle on it. It may be another The Master, where it reveals itself as a masterpiece on second spin.....or else it may just be the first Malick film I don't really care for, and I have to hope that Knight of Cups works for me (and also, that the day's footage I worked on makes it into the film).
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I don't see how that is surprising considering the fact they they already announced a while back the new trilogy + at least three standalone solo-character films. All that article does is set a bit of a timeline for it.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

yay! more Star Wars =o)
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

ATTENTION LOS ANGELES:

The best film I saw in 2012 finally has a proper release, and at the place it was meant to be seen:
    http://www.cinefamily.org/films/carl...enebras-lux-67
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Holy shit! So there. Can't wait to see it again.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Ladies and gentlemen, Alejandro Jodorowsky has a new film, and it's playing in the Director's Fortnight.

Ladies and gentlemen, Alejandro Jodorowsky has a new film, and it's playing in the Director's Fortnight.
    I saw that the other day too, and I about jumped out of my chair. And there's a doc premiering about Jodorowsky's failed Dune project. So rad.
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

I saw that the other day too, and I about jumped out of my chair. And there's a doc premiering about Jodorowsky's failed Dune project. So rad.
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Can't wait to see Post Tenebras Lux again. And here's a new trailer from Strand Releasing for it:

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Woohoo! It is playing at Film Forum in NYC May 1 - May 14. I will be there!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

MBV, Bowie, The Knife, and now fucking Jodorowsky. God bless you reclusive weirdos.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I mentioned Place Beyond the Pines - the problem is that it kind of sucked.
    Yeah, we saw "Pines" last weekend, and I just... uh... didn't have anything to say about it. *SPOILERS* It wasn't very good. The first act was spectacular, shot well, acted f'ing terrific, and I really wanted to know what was going on with the dude. The second act was definitely a step back... kinda a cop drama that didn't really deliver. The third act was an after-school special. I hated the kids and didn't want anybody to succeed at anything, ever.

I think the main problem with the film is that it's not really about anything, but it acts like it is. Like you're supposed to have some amazing experience watching what happened to these kids, feel the drama and get that this thing impacted that thing... but it didn't. The "Chronicle" kid is a wild card, but why? Because he didn't know his dad? He did know his dad - his step-dad was there from the drop. I just didn't give two shits about either one of those little pricks and the third act left me wishing I hadn't seen the movie at all.

On the plus side, the movie looked good, it was acted fantastically by everyone (if I hated those kids, they must've been doing their jobs well), and the screenplay was exquisitely well-written in that everyone talked the way real mofos talk. Gosling and Mendes were both fantastic - it was the best I've ever seen Mendes, and damn she's fine. But in the end, the movie didn't work. It just wasn't that good. But kudos to the Mike Patton score, which made me want to see the movie in the first place (it was used in the trailer - I didn't even realize it was Patton, I was just like "Damn, what's that song?") Check my avatar. LOL.

It made me reflect on "The Tree of Life" which we've argued about here. That movie said something about a boy's relationship with his father. I thought it was freaking spectacular and I was on the edge of my seat (emotionally) and felt something throughout. This movie could've been the same if it kept going like the first act, it just didn't.

Also saw "Pain and Gain" this weekend. Now before you all start shoveling coal on me for purposely watching a Michael Bay movie, you have to appreciate the two size-0 cuties in the group who wanted to see Wahlberg and The Rock. Sometimes you see the movie the girls want to see.

Anyhow - it was dumb. It had funny moments, and looked f'in great, and the female casting had to have been just Michael Bay staring at asses all day... but that man has no CLUE how to tell a story. It was absurdly long, didn't feel like there was any natural flow to the story (no peak, all valleys), and it was dark as hell (thematically, not visually). Definitely not a good movie, but as a fan of heist flicks I was willing to go along for the ride. It reminded me a lot of Tony Scott's "Domino", which is also not a good movie, but it looked great and had some interesting actors and some genuinely funny moments.

But all in all, it was Michael Bay. Dude is a robot who means to see us all harmed. So don't consider this a positive review unless you have some super-cute ladies who are picking the movie... it's survivable.

I saw Trance last week and thought it was the worst movie I have seen all year and with the exception of Slumdog I am a pretty big Danny Boyle fan. Luckily I saw the best movie I have seen so far this year on Friday, Mud with Wooderson from Dazed and Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Also saw "Pain and Gain" this weekend. Now before you all start shoveling coal on me for purposely watching a Michael Bay movie, you have to appreciate the two size-0 cuties in the group who wanted to see Wahlberg and The Rock. Sometimes you see the movie the girls want to see.

Anyhow - it was dumb. It had funny moments, and looked f'in great, and the female casting had to have been just Michael Bay staring at asses all day... but that man has no CLUE how to tell a story. It was absurdly long, didn't feel like there was any natural flow to the story (no peak, all valleys), and it was dark as hell (thematically, not visually). Definitely not a good movie, but as a fan of heist flicks I was willing to go along for the ride. It reminded me a lot of Tony Scott's "Domino", which is also not a good movie, but it looked great and had some interesting actors and some genuinely funny moments.

But all in all, it was Michael Bay. Dude is a robot who means to see us all harmed. So don't consider this a positive review unless you have some super-cute ladies who are picking the movie... it's survivable.
    Sounds like it was Total Bayhem

It's the best Michael Bay movie I've ever seen, and that's not saying much
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

[*]Jeff, Who Lives At Home
    Did you ever end up watching this? I just finished it, and while the end was a little TOO neat and hokey, I really enjoyed it if for nothing but the extremely well written dialogue between Pat and Linda in the climactic confrontation.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

If you scroll this page fast enough, you get people talking about Post Tenebras Lux w.r.t. its Michael Bay-ness. Discuss.

Did you ever end up watching this? I just finished it, and while the end was a little TOO neat and hokey, I really enjoyed it if for nothing but the extremely well written dialogue between Pat and Linda in the climactic confrontation.
    I eventually started it, and turned it off with about half an hour remaining. Though I'm not qualified to write a review, I felt the first hour was some of the worst storytelling I've encountered in a long time. Also, though I've only previously seen Cyrus out of the Duplass Bros.' catalog, I can confidently say that their use of documentary technique trails the modern single-cam sitcom (those that aren't portraying an actual documentary, such as "The Office") in both application and authorial logic. I have to really enjoy and care about the characters to get past all the gratuitous zooming, whip pans, etc. Basically, Cyrus::"Parks and Recreation; Jeff, Who Lives At Home::"Modern Family"

Enjoyed Mama. Some amazing special effects and a bit scary in parts. Going to try his Devil's Backbone later (catholic orphanage in Spain horror story).

Dr. Strangelove showing at the Regency 3 Santa Ana tomorrow night if anyone's arsed.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Mama was not directed by Guillermo Del Toro.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I liked Trance quite a bit. The performances were strong and it was a good deal of fun.

Basically, Cyrus::"Parks and Recreation; Jeff, Who Lives At Home::"Modern Family"
    Ha, I like this analogy. And I'd say that it carries through the last half hour of the film, too.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Trance had good actors in it, but the plot was pure shit, one of the worst screenplays I've ever had to sit through. There was only one good scene in the entire movie and you know what scene I'm talking about, the part where the black guy from the office got his dick blown off.

If that's actually in the movie, thanks a lot asshole
    last.fm

No problem, and hey I just saved you two hours of your life that you no longer have to waste by seeing trance

Okay, Trance and Pain and Gain are Citizen Kane compared to this freaking god-awful Twilight movie on the television right now.

I've been working on my laptop and left it on in the background out of morbid curiosity... damn, how does anybody like these movies? It's the final one with the chick as a Vampire, and probably the worst high-budget movie I've ever partially seen. It makes me want to watch a "Bonfire of the Vanities", "Wild Wild West", and "Hudson Hawk" triple header. Sheesh. Just awful.

And why in the flock did they use a CGI baby face instead of a real baby? Creepily retarded.