Page 966 of 1024 FirstFirst ... 961962963964965966967968969970971 ... LastLast
Results 28,951 to 28,980 of 30715

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

24 of Kurosawa's films are free this weekend on Hulu to celebrate his birthday today. Happy Birthday to the legend, Akira Kurosawa!

http://www.hulu.com/browse/picks/hap...akira-kurosawa

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Echo & the Bunnymen 8/2, #BEENTRILL#/Jesse Andrews OSL Afterparty 8/8, Sir Paul McCartney 8/14, Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Charli XCX 10/25
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

I wish Stallone would make Cobra 2. It's one of my favorite Stallone movies.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Maximum Overdrive!
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    do the reviews of spring breakers talk about the male gaze? do they talk about haneke on lsd?
    this was definitely a big part of it, but i didn't expect the race stuff that completely took over the narrative... not that it surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I wish Harmony would have lost the montage that opens the film; these images recur several times throughout, and had the second instance been the first, it would have had much greater impact. Franco was excellent, and the girls were equally so.
    i don't really agree here. i actually think it was an appropriate way to get at the ideal being sought before we actually see the social machinations wrapped up in the seeking... korine has always been a big fan of bookending his establishing segments in that way. I'm not sure "impact" was what he was going for... given that anyone going into the movie expected that to be a part of the film. It definitely fits within korine's approach to want to make sure that the audience is latched onto that same ideal as we follow the girls on their initial escapade. he's never been one for revelations, subtle or not.

loved the film though. as always, korine nails musical segments. also, the soundtrack was perfect. franco was incredible. on first viewing, might be second only to julien donkey boy in my book.

also, thrilled to see it made back its money on the first wide release day.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 03-23-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I'm anxious to see it again and focus more on the racial material. I was caught off guard by it (which, in retrospect, doesn't make any sense given the knowledge of who Franco was playing), so I'm still a bit unclear on the perspective it was taking.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Went to see Olympus Has Fallen this afternoon. It was edge of your seat, very violent but tons of good action. The first 1/2 hour to 45 minutes was really great. It was predictable in the end, but there are several A list actors and a couple of really solid performances.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

"Edge of your seat"? As in, you were on the verge of walking out the entire time?
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Which version did you watch - the original Swedish one or the Fincher one? The general consensus from readers of the series seems to be that the Swedish trilogy lived up to the source material pretty well. I haven't heard much feedback in regards to the English language one, but it's essentially the exact same movie with better overall production value and bigger name actors.
    I didn't like the Swedish version at all, by way of comparison... and I was bored to tears by the Swedish sequels. Like, completely, gotta do my taxes whilst I watch bored. Granted, I never read the books... but they were pretty bad. I think someone told me they were made for Swedish TV, so the budget was crap... and it looks it. Other major complaints are that all the actors are horribly ugly compared to American movies (boy are they), and the main complaint about the sequels are tied to the story and spoilery.

Suffice it to say my opinion is far from the popular opinion with film people, who lick the balls of the original version. Take it or leave it!

Real "film people" hate everything involving girls with dragon tattoos.

I just watched Brave. Fuckin' Pixar, they always do such an awesome job.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I think ParaNorman should have gotten the Oscar over Brave though.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I wish Stallone would make Cobra 2. It's one of my favorite Stallone movies.
    or Oscar pls

Coachella Junkie

I think I might have been wrong about Korine all along, or he's changed fundamentally with age. Not to play into the sexy swagger debate, but I did find his outlook to be refreshingly existential. I thought he was clear of the narrative pull. I though Spring Breakers would be largely a popcul prank. I'm not so sure anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV698VMwBQ4

The aspects I desperately needed to be dismissive jokes were played straight. The rolling tears on the bus departure seem to have been sincere storytelling. It came off as amateurish and cliched on a level I didn't want to encounter. The philosophy inherent in Gummo isn't present in Spring Breakers outside of select scenes like the Britney Spears montage. There's far too much Earnest Drama on display for my taste.

I applaud him for the ability to transition into a wide release on the back of the Mickey Mouse Club, but I'm just not confident anymore that Korine was crafting the cosmic joke I hoped for out of this film.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

... okay, I seriously gotta hear this because whether or not I agree with your opinions I can generally at least understand the logic you use to arrive at your conclusions.

What exactly is the "philosophy" that was present in his other movies?
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    What exactly is the "philosophy" that was present in his other movies?
    Fuck it let's put it on camera.

Oh okay, I thought you meant that there was like actually a point to what he was filming.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Coachella Junkie

I elevate uniqueness above quality. I'd rather a film/album/book/etsy be completely unexpected than it be of "value." I thought Korine was out to make something that's never been made before, for the sake of that enterprise. I don't know whether that's still his goal. It seems to have been before Mister Lonely. It's disheartening to me.

Coachella Junkie

Oh okay, I thought you meant that there was like actually a point to what he was filming.
    There absolutely was a point in the past. You may reject it as a valid use of film or time or etc., but creating a thing that has never been created is above and before the ability to competently craft. Fill up the spaces.

Alright, fair enough. I don't agree with the value you place on it but I can dig the premise.

So basically Spring Breakers was Korine's usual incredibly annoying content wall-to-wall except this time he turned his terrible sensibilities towards trying to actually inject a genre/plot as well?

Coachella Junkie

And just to seal this up, the point is there. It's been there. A collection of moving images shouldn't have to boil down to something you can put on paper. The slavishness to the process of transitioning from script to screen is a cancer that crowds out the real ability of cinema.

Okay but was that really something he invented? I mean c'mon. I'm not a film history buff by any means, but for fuck's sake I'm pretty sure that people were making movies that were eschewing the need for a script/plot and just trying to using images in motion to convey emotions long before Korine. It just seems to me like he took that and made it something... I dunno, gross and uncomfortable.

Coachella Junkie

Alright, fair enough. I don't agree with the value you place on it but I can dig the premise.

So basically Spring Breakers was Korine's usual incredibly annoying content wall-to-wall except this time he turned his terrible sensibilities towards trying to actually inject a genre/plot as well?
    Eh. Julien Donkey-Boy and Mister Lonely fit that description as well, but I'm not angry at their attempts. He's playing with narrative in those films but staying true to what I believed was a central tenet of his filmmaking; e.g. there is no cause and effect, just varying levels of deprivation. That's on me. It might have been me reading too much into Gummo and Trash Humpers all along. Spring Breakers on first reaction destroys those sensibilities. We'll see.

Coachella Junkie

Okay but was that really something he invented? I mean c'mon. I'm not a film history buff by any means, but for fuck's sake I'm pretty sure that people were making movies that were eschewing the need for a script/plot and just trying to using images in motion to convey emotions long before Korine. It just seems to me like he took that and made it something... I dunno, gross and uncomfortable.
    I'm not suggesting he was the first person to throw a script away. But you need to put him in that group to properly assess his ability. Gross and uncomfortable? Yes please.

I dunno, man. Any time I encounter artists going out of their way to make the audience squirm I feel like there really needs to be a reason. Otherwise it just reeks of trying too hard to be counter-culture and failing to realize that in order to truly serve a counter-culture you need to have some kind of ethos. I'll take something like Irreversible which very narrowly walks that line any day. Korine's way just reminds me of all the really untalented filmmaker friends I had who said shit like, "Fuck a story man, that's some Hollywood formula bullshit. I'm just gonna make a movie about two guys trying to hide a dead girl's corpse in a laundromat all night and one of them keeps trying to fuck her and that's it." Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    I think I might have been wrong about Korine all along, or he's changed fundamentally with age. Not to play into the sexy swagger debate, but I did find his outlook to be refreshingly existential. I thought he was clear of the narrative pull. I though Spring Breakers would be largely a popcul prank. I'm not so sure anymore.
    i was incredibly hesitant about spring breakers because i thought it would tap out at the joke level and not have anything more to offer. the film undoubtedly had some bizarre moments where sentimentality reigned in a kind of hyperreal way... korine has always taken the logic of people's circumstances and whittled them down ad nauseum. using these kinds of subjects necessitates descending into that kind of melodrama. it was a little less extreme in that the film remains a bit more tethered than any of his other films, but his other films share a similar kind of sentimentality... i think it just feels a bit more foreign because the circumstances are a bit more foreign (to most people I suppose) and less steeped in pop culture.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 03-23-2013 at 10:52 PM.

It DEFINITELY qualifies as a fever dream - a hazy, candy-colored, intentionally disorienting carousel of sad fantasies and sadder waking states.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Not to play into the sexy swagger debate, but I did find his outlook to be refreshingly existential.
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)
    8/08 - Spoon - Hollywood Forever
    8/10 - Paul McCartney - Dodger Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

"Edge of your seat"? As in, you were on the verge of walking out the entire time?
    Haha no, meaning there was great tension and excitement, especially in the first half.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

whyz youzz spiciouszzz

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    This made me laugh quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Just saw the trailer for The Wolverine. It honestly looks even worse then the first Wolverine movie if that is even possible. After how bad the first one was how did they get the green light to make a second Wolverine movie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?