Page 965 of 1023 FirstFirst ... 960961962963964965966967968969970 ... LastLast
Results 28,921 to 28,950 of 30678

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    "a fever dream" is a pretentious asshole's way of saying "nothing really makes any sense and there's no cause and effect, shit just happens and it's really weird but since I'm an asshole I'm not going to call it out."
    Ha, that can be true sometimes, yeah. But in this particular case it all makes sense and there is definitely cause and effect. I actually really think even you would like this, Randy.

lol, I just read something that described the film as "a Ke$ha video directed by Terrence Malick."
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

There is no way I would like it because there is nothing talented in any way involved in it.

I challenge you to describe three plot steps that carry any progression whatsoever. It's a feature length movie so there should be at least five tentpole moments that actually relate. All I want is three.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Coachella Junkie

Thanks Screenwriting 101.

Coachella Junkie

PS Steve Vai is the best guitar player.

Yngvie Malmsteen you rube.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie

Vai plays way more notes per second than your gay Nordic hero lol

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I am without a doubt a Harmony Korine skeptic, but Spring Breakers was fantastic. Simply put, it was a mesmerizing, existential fever dream of a film that was borderline meditative at times. The soundtrack/score worked absolutely perfectly. James Franco was nothing short of brilliant. It also comes as no surprise that this is Korine's most accessible work to date. Regardless of whether you're a fan of his past work or not, go see this as soon as you can.
    This makes me want to commit random sexual acts of violence upon you. I want to stab you so badly. Repeatedly.

do the reviews of spring breakers talk about the male gaze? do they talk about haneke on lsd?

Seriously though, what happened in this piece of shit movie? Can anyone tell me anything that actually fucking happened besides an "existential fever dream?" Anybody got a description that doesn't use the most pretentious bullshit excuse for a description I've ever heard?
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

To my understanding what "happens" in this movie involves some young girls committing robbery to pay for a spring break trip, getting arrested, and James Franco's crazy character taking them under his wing or something.

recently watched Argo and The Master.
    I was actually pretty disappointed in the Master, especially because im a big Paul Thomas Anderson fan.
    Argo was terrific of course and i think it deserved the oscar!
    a great film all the way through

i would be shocked if spring breakers was "existential." that would be radically at odds with everything else he has ever done (films, art, music, writing, all of it).

Coachella Junkie

Bzzz. False. Existential is an all-encompassing label for anything I don't like that seems arty.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I watched Anaconda for the first time since the 90s last night. it is spectacularly bad in such a good way.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Would you say, "it was a mesmerizing, existential fever dream of a film that was borderline meditative at times."

I feel like John Voight's performance could at times be described that way

last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

"It was a mesmerizing, existential fever dream of a film that was borderline meditative at times" is the new "They play electronic dance music, but with a kind of cool and swagger that predates Justin Timberlake's sexyback phase."
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I always knew someone would snatch the crown from Passive. I just didn't think it would happen here.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Godzilla (2014)
    confirmed preliminary cast

David Straitharn
    Juliette Binoche
    Bryan Cranston
    Elizabeth Olsen
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    +

Also, I dragged a boning knife along the bottom of the copy of Flight I rented from redbox a few nights ago. There is no excuse for anybody who was smart enough to fill out their credit card application without error to devote any time to that sun-whitened piece of shit.
    Last edited by Grandma; 03-18-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Couldn't manage squeezing in Hunger this weekend but I did make sure to go see Stoker after hearing it hit theaters. It was a bit hammy at parts which turned my friend off from the film but I thought it kind of helped me to swallow the absurd story and focus on the themes Park was trying to showcase. I wonder how much was lost in translation between Chan-Wook Park and the actors/writers/rest of the Americans working on this film.

The cinematography and music were great and classically Park's style. However, some of the techniques that he and his editor used to display India's hunting prowess ended up looking like the way the Twilight films showed the audience how it felt to be a vampire and that took me away from the point he was trying to make.

The parallel between India and her mother worked really well IMO. Nicole Kidman did a great job with her role. Charlie is the source of most of the cheese in the film and it's mainly because of those creepy smiles he has throughout the whole thing.

I want to say more in spoilery detail but I can't figure out how to use the invisible text...

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Echo & the Bunnymen 8/2, #BEENTRILL#/Jesse Andrews OSL Afterparty 8/8, Sir Paul McCartney 8/14, Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Charli XCX 10/25
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Does anyone know which version of Blade Runner that the Cinefamily is showing at the Million Dollar Theater?

Also, a side note, but dammit if the menu screen for the Die Hard blu-ray (which I finally caved in and purchased, since it was only $10) is the WORST menu screen for any dvd/blu-ray I have every seen... Flames, vague images, and a wire-frame model of the Nokatomi Building spinning around like a top? Horrific beyond the imagination.
    Last edited by tyles; 03-18-2013 at 04:24 PM.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

I got confused looking that up because it's actually presented by Cinespia (who does the Hollywood Forever screenings) and not Cinefamily (who run the Silent Movie Theater). But there doesn't seem to be any word anywhere but how the movie is being presented.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    Also, I dragged a boning knife along the bottom of the copy of Flight I rented from redbox a few nights ago. There is no excuse for anybody who was smart enough to fill out their credit card application without error to devote any time to that sun-whitened piece of shit.
    How mature of you

Look, i think we can all agree that tallguy's summation of that movie is the most pretentious thing ever written. Let's not dwell on it. (psst. Let's dwell on it.)

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I always knew someone would snatch the crown from Passive. I just didn't think it would happen here.
    Really? While i enjoy this thread, this is the one thread I think of comprising of such things.

I finally saw "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" for the first time tonight. It was on Encore, so I decided to watch it (I live under a rock, so I'm always the last person to see a movie... if I see it at all). I thought it lived up to the hype. I liked it a lot. But I've never read the book. How similar are they? Does the movie do the book justice?
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post
    I finally saw "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" for the first time tonight. It was on Encore, so I decided to watch it (I live under a rock, so I'm always the last person to see a movie... if I see it at all). I thought it lived up to the hype. I liked it a lot. But I've never read the book. How similar are they? Does the movie do the book justice?
    Which version did you watch - the original Swedish one or the Fincher one? The general consensus from readers of the series seems to be that the Swedish trilogy lived up to the source material pretty well. I haven't heard much feedback in regards to the English language one, but it's essentially the exact same movie with better overall production value and bigger name actors.
    last.fm

I didnt even know there were different versions. I saw the one with Daniel Craig in it.
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

As was to be expected, I thought Spring Breakers was fantastic. I don't know that I would call it a work of existentialism, though it certainly has some fascinating phenomenological currents both in the filmmaking (which emphasizes the purity of experience and the unreliability of truth beyond it) and in the way that Korine wishes the audience to approach it (i.e., without presupposing his motives). I also wouldn't classify it as meditative; there's simply too much Skrillex blasting to get much thinking in. It DEFINITELY qualifies as a fever dream - a hazy, candy-colored, intentionally disorienting carousel of sad fantasies and sadder waking states. As someone who has always found the element of empathy to be deeply undervalued in Harmony Korine's work, this was almost exactly in line with what I anticipated - which is part of why I loved it. I'm sure Harmony doesn't worship the scene this film takes place in, but I don't exactly agree with some of the prevailing thought that he's out to shred it, either; he clearly gets who it appeals to and why, and as absurd as it may look, I don't think we're meant to judge them for it. The ending rings a Taxi Driver bell for me - high praise that is well-earned. I wish Harmony would have lost the montage that opens the film; these images recur several times throughout, and had the second instance been the first, it would have had much greater impact. Franco was excellent, and the girls were equally so.

Because no discussion here of any Harmony Korine film can be complete without acknowledging Randy's take...make no mistake, he would hate the shit out of it. He may find it more appealing than Trash Humpers, but there are too many atmospheric detours in this for him not to pull out the same arguments about Harmony's inability to tell a Story. The film certainly has enough "tentpole" moments to satisfy this rigid criteria, but it functions as perhaps the biggest neon-lit signpost of its uselessness.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.