Page 953 of 1015 FirstFirst ... 948949950951952953954955956957958 ... LastLast
Results 28,561 to 28,590 of 30425

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Silver Lining and Juno....interesting....

I went to a screening of Les Mis last night, I didn't want to see the movie in theaters because I thought it was too long and I'd get bored, but went because of the Q&A after and man am I glad I went. I know so many people hate this movie. But I loved it, the performances were incredible and it was so well done that it felt like an hour and a half. I also forgot there was even singing, it was so not the main focus for me. I think there was maybe one scene where someone actually talked and I was just like "holy shit I forgot they've been singing, how odd of them to talk..." I loved it.

VigoTheCarpathian

Thank you, Bryan.

I'm going to get back to the movie now.

I'm predicting right now that we'll see a Criterion treatment of Zodiac by the end of 2014
    Last edited by Grandma; 01-16-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Hey guys looking for some recommendations on where to start for a few directors. Never seen a movie from any of them.

Where to start for Ozu? I was gonna just jump in with Tokyo Story but maybe there's a better entry point.

Jean Renoir?

Tarkovsky?

Dreyer?

Bresson?

Rossellini?

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Hey guys looking for some recommendations on where to start for a few directors. Never seen a movie from any of them.

Where to start for Ozu? I was gonna just jump in with Tokyo Story but maybe there's a better entry point.
    You can start with Tokyo Story if you want, it's accessible but it moves kind of slow. I really like Floating Weeds, which is about a traveling theater troupe. It's a color remake of A Story of Floating Weeds, which is a b&w film Ozu did earlier in his career. Criterion has both of these in one package, the color one is the remake.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    I'm predicting right now that we'll see a Criterion treatment of Zodiac by the end of 2014
    No, I'm tired of having to upgrade my DVD collection!
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Tarkovsky?
    My ideal starting place would probably be Stalker. I prefer the Mirror as a film ever so slightly, but Stalker is a more bizarre and more intense film. That said, once you do one of his films you'll likely want to watch the rest soon after.

The only ones you shouldn't start with would be Ivan's Childhood (good, but his first and not reflective of his body of work) or Andrei Rublev (fantastic, but extremely long.)
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Thanks guys, got some watching to do. Excited to dig into a bunch of new (to me) directors this year; it's about time.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    According to David Prior, Fincher's producer of home theater releases, it seems unlikely, as welcome as it would be be.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Jean Renoir?

Tarkovsky?

Dreyer?

Bresson?

Rossellini?
    Respectively, I started with Good Morning, Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, Ordet and Diary of a Country Priest. I haven't yet seen any Rosselini.

With Tarkovsky, I watched his too-short filmography in mostly chronological order - started with Rublev, then Solaris, then back to his first film Ivan's Childhood, and then picked up with Mirror and so on. I would recommend this approach. Every film after Ivan's feels like the best film ever made.

With Bresson, I would not recommend Diary of a Country Priest as an entry point; A Man Escaped or Pickpocket would probably be better choices. That said, you'll need to be patient with him and probably watch a few of them before you get a handle on his style. It's absolutely worth the investment.

As for Dreyer, some would probably suggest starting with one of his silent films instead - probably The Passion of Joan of Arc (which I haven't seen) or Vampyr, which I have seen and love.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Coachella Junkie

Rossellini is easy, Rome, Open City. In my experience you could just start there and work forward in time.

Sweet, thanks guys. Much appreciated

OH yeah, The Rules of the Game. Just watch that first of all these. And laugh.

Where to start for Ozu?
    Late Spring & Tokyo Story

Jean Renoir?
    Rules of the Game is my favorite and the one I watch almost every year.

Grand Illusion is known as one of the greatest of all time and is the main influence on the characterization of Darth Vader

Tarkovsky?
    I have yet to see his films but I know the two essentials are Andrei Rublev (Waiting on the Criterion Blu!) and Solaris

Dreyer?
    THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC go watch this twice, like right now. Seriously.

Bresson?
    All of his films! But here is the order I suggest for a top 3:

1. Au Hassard Balthazar
    2. Mochette
    3. Pickpocket

Rossellini?
    I need suggestions for him as well

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1),12(2),13(1),13(2)
    Upcoming shows
    Neutral Milk Hotel 4/9, The Knife 4/15, The Dandy Warhols 4/23, First Aid Kit 5/26, Parquet Courts 5/27, The Faint 6/1, Lady Gaga 6/3, Robyn/Röyksopp 6/29, Sharon Van Etten 6/29, Deafheaven 7/2, Cloud Nothings 7/7
    Events
    Knifechella 4/11-13&18-20, SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Respectively, I started with Good Morning, Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, Ordet and Diary of a Country Priest. I haven't yet seen any Rosselini.

With Tarkovsky, I watched his too-short filmography in mostly chronological order - started with Rublev, then Solaris, then back to his first film Ivan's Childhood, and then picked up with Mirror and so on. I would recommend this approach. Every film after Ivan's feels like the best film ever made.

With Bresson, I would not recommend Diary of a Country Priest as an entry point; A Man Escaped or Pickpocket would probably be better choices. That said, you'll need to be patient with him and probably watch a few of them before you get a handle on his style. It's absolutely worth the investment.

As for Dreyer, some would probably suggest starting with one of his silent films instead - probably The Passion of Joan of Arc (which I haven't seen) or Vampyr, which I have seen and love.
    Diary of a Country Priest is the only Bresson film I've seen that hasn't really left an impression on me. I should really give it another chance.

Upcoming shows
    Neutral Milk Hotel 4/9, The Knife 4/15, The Dandy Warhols 4/23, First Aid Kit 5/26, Parquet Courts 5/27, The Faint 6/1, Lady Gaga 6/3, Robyn/Röyksopp 6/29, Sharon Van Etten 6/29, Deafheaven 7/2, Cloud Nothings 7/7
    Events
    Knifechella 4/11-13&18-20, SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    I have yet to see his films but I know the two essentials are Andrei Rublev (Waiting on the Criterion Blu!) and Solaris
    I would completely disagree with this. Those two are great, but the two essentials are The Mirror and Stalker.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I would completely disagree with this. Those two are great, but the two essentials are The Mirror and Stalker.
    Thanks! I should do a Tarkovsky marathon soon.

The only thing I liked about the Soderbergh Solaris was that George Clooney was listening to Insane Clown Posse in space.
    Last edited by xanman86; 01-17-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Upcoming shows
    Events

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Wow. So I just watched Pickpocket by Bresson. I seriously loved it... The camera's movements astounded me the entire time. So gorgeous. And that last line? Amazing.

Coachella Junkie

Harmony Korine Confuses Tweens, March 2013

I would partially disagree with this. Those two are my favorites, but the seven essentials are all of them.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    According to David Prior, Fincher's producer of home theater releases, it seems unlikely, as welcome as it would be be.
    outdated, but he's half right.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I would partially disagree with this. Those two are my favorites, but the seven essentials are all of them.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by iv3rdawG View Post
    What I am supposed to be taking from this trailer? I have never seen a Harmony Korine movie before... but I have a feeling this movie won't be like how the trailer is advertising it.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    What I am supposed to be taking from this trailer? I have never seen a Harmony Korine movie before... but I have a feeling this movie won't be like how the trailer is advertising it.
    "Four college girls who land in jail after robbing a restaurant in order to fund their spring break vacation find themselves bailed out by a drug and arms dealer who wants them to do some dirty work."

"The movies he directs rarely have a linear plot and are often made up of pieces of events that are highly symbolic and/or metaphorical."

naked girls, sex, drugs and money is what i think you should take from the trailer.

I think Spring Breakers might be worth seeing just to see that James Franco character alone. Other then that looks real stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by alyssaf12 View Post
    "Four college girls who land in jail after robbing a restaurant in order to fund their spring break vacation find themselves bailed out by a drug and arms dealer who wants them to do some dirty work."

"The movies he directs rarely have a linear plot and are often made up of pieces of events that are highly symbolic and/or metaphorical."

naked girls, sex, drugs and money is what i think you should take from the trailer.
    It will have those things, but almost certainly not as they appear in the trailer.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Do you feel that the trailer is advertising an unbearable piece of shit from a talentless sucker of cock? Cause if not, then it is misleading.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

I'll watch that shit.

lol

It's gotta be better than Savages