Page 951 of 1028 FirstFirst ... 946947948949950951952953954955956 ... LastLast
Results 28,501 to 28,530 of 30831

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

VigoTheCarpathian

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

How about Car Wash.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Also, shit like this is exactly why I can't stand white people. Where the fuck is Ally, goddammit? I wanna Mandingo fight her.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    The fantasy kills are presented as ultra-graphic and stylized and often hilarious, but the violence that mirrors actual slave practices is the opposite.
    Here's part of the problem though: actual slave practices turn out to not be nearly entertaining enough, so Tarantino invokes the historically-dubious practice of mandingo fighting to drive the plot at Candyland. Like all QT films, it becomes less about history, more about an homage to some exploitation film or b-movie he saw one time. Which is fine, I'm not going to roast the guy for making the kinds of movies he wants to, and I don't think it's fair for me as the viewer to impute bad faith on his part. However, I also don't think it's fair for his partisans to then turn around and claim he is doing something especially redeeming or empowering in all of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

VigoTheCarpathian

It's probably futile to argue this, but one man's exploitation is another man's empowerment. If you believe Tarantino's only reasons for making Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained are to pad his bank account and glorify himself - which would require you to ignore the fact that he put his own salary on the line in order to get the latter made, among other things - then you'll be prone to believe that he's trivializing atrocity. If you understand that a fundamental motivation for exploitation cinema/cinema in general/art in general is to give voice to those who don't always have one in reality, you'll understand that while the film may be a humorous fantasy, it's not for lack of respect to the severity of history. The fantasy kills are presented as ultra-graphic and stylized and often hilarious, but the violence that mirrors actual slave practices is the opposite.

Personally, I wouldn't rank Django or Basterds higher than his top/first four (and I will always count Kill Bill as a single work, though I do find the second half slightly more glorious than the first). But if those two are #5 and 6, that's a quality fucking filmography.
    It's funny how Spike Lee can't see it in this context especially considering that his only good flick, Do The Right Thing, accomplishes just this to a T, which is the reason that it's such a good film.

Oh Jesus Christ why don't you just suck Spike Lee off you jerkbag.

edit: referring to Mirior. Vigo, shut the fuck up.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Miror would you be saying any of this if Django was made by a black man?
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by VigoTheCarpathian View Post
    It's funny how Spike Lee can't see it in this context especially considering that his only good flick
    Banned and ignored.

VigoTheCarpathian

But you're still a fat lonely bitter pussy, Pot.

I've met Pot many a time and can confirm that he is not fat.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I've met Pot many a time and can confirm that he is not fat.
    "Bitter pussy" was accurate though, right?

VigoTheCarpathian

Huh.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Here's part of the problem though: actual slave practices turn out to not be nearly entertaining enough, so Tarantino invokes the historically-dubious practice of mandingo fighting to drive the plot at Candyland. Like all QT films, it becomes less about history, more about an homage to some exploitation film or b-movie he saw one time. Which is fine, I'm not going to roast the guy for making the kinds of movies he wants to, and I don't think it's fair for me as the viewer to impute bad faith on his part. However, I also don't think it's fair for his partisans to then turn around and claim he is doing something especially redeeming or empowering in all of this.
    "Historically-dubious" misses the point. Tarantino's work has always used mythology and legend-building as....it's barely even subtext, it's a major component of many of his films and best characters. Mandingo fighting may not be historically documented, but clearly it has become part of the cultural narrative of American slavery - therefore, it bears inclusion in Tarantino's film.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

In fact, a LOT of the characters in his movie are, believe it or not, fictional people. Shocking, I know.

DID YOU KNOW THAT THERE'S NO FIVE POINT PALM EXPLODING HEART TECHNIQUE IN MARTIAL ARTS?!

VigoTheCarpathian

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    "Bitter pussy" was accurate though, right?
    He didn't have a father to slap him correct and say "act like a man goddamn it"
    for the death of such sluts I go rejoicing

"Historically-dubious" misses the point. Tarantino's work has always used mythology and legend-building as....it's barely even subtext, it's a major component of many of his films and best characters. Mandingo fighting may not be historically documented, but clearly it has become part of the cultural narrative of American slavery - therefore, it bears inclusion in Tarantino's film.
    Not to mention the fact that, as his movies develop more and more, they seem to be operating in a single, consistent alternative universe, as characters share last names and family traits throughout the periods. I can't wait to see how people link Django to the rest of the films.

When did Mandingo fighting become part of the cultural narrative of American slavery?

Well Django and Broomhilda Von Shaft are supposed to be be great great great grandparents of John Shaft
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

VigoTheCarpathian

Honestly, It was the first I heard of it, but it seemed like something that would've been.

I thought mandingo meant huge black cock

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Well Django and Broomhilda Von Shaft are supposed to be be great great great grandparents of John Shaft
    I just read this article claiming that Tarantino has defined two distinct universes for his films: the Realer than Real universe, where Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Death Proof and Inglorious Basterds occur, and the Movie Movie universe, where From Dusk Til Dawn and Kill Bill occur. The Movie Movie stuff apparently draws from other films and is more ridiculous in its violence. I could see Django being included in that universe based on that idea (and it makes sense, with her last name.)

And Jackie Brown is just separate.

VigoTheCarpathian

It's surreally real

... wait, Basterds is in Realer Than Real?

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    When did Mandingo fighting become part of the cultural narrative of American slavery?
    Probably when it was a best seller.

I don't see Basterds or Death Proof in the real category. I think that theory would make sense if they said that Jackie Brown was the transition point, because everything after that has been over the top.

There's apparently a strong argument for Inglorious Basterds being the defining moment as the turning point for his alternate universe. People have pointed to the fact that the bear jew has the same last name as some characters in the regular universe and that there are apparently some other connections to be found. The argument for it being in the real category goes that, as Hitler was killed by a crack American squad in a movie house in a big massacre, it tended to provide more credence to violence and pop culture as normal things in society. As a result, people in Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are more comfortable with violence and pop culture as important parts of everyday society.

I'm writing this poorly, but this has been dissected at length in multiple places. Edit: a quick google search brought this up.
    Last edited by bmack86; 01-14-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Probably when it was a best seller.
    Da Vinci Code was a best seller it doesn't make Jesus was married to Mary part of the cultural narrative.

No, that became part of the cultural narrative back around the time of (if we want to be conservative with it) The Last Temptation of Christ.

It's probably futile to argue this, but one man's exploitation is another man's empowerment. If you believe Tarantino's only reasons for making Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained are to pad his bank account and glorify himself - which would require you to ignore the fact that he put his own salary on the line in order to get the latter made, among other things - then you'll be prone to believe that he's trivializing atrocity. If you understand that a fundamental motivation for exploitation cinema/cinema in general/art in general is to give voice to those who don't always have one in reality, you'll understand that while the film may be a humorous fantasy, it's not for lack of respect to the severity of history.
    Quentin Tarantino has an undeniable obsession with the word n*gger. In nearly every one of his movies, he indulges in this obsession to varying degrees. "Sicilians were spawned by n*ggers." "Did you see the sign on my house that says dead n*gger storage." "Break out the beeper number, n*gger." He even snuck a n*gger joke into Inglorious Basterds where the Nazi incorrectly guesses an American slave in charades (King Kong was the correct answer.)

Now, I'm not implying that Quentin is racist - hell the Dennis Hopper monologue in True Romance is some of the funniest shit he's ever written. But to me it seemed like Django was nothing more than a feature length excuse for him to wallow in this obsession for nearly three hours. Maybe I'd have felt differently if Django wasn't the most boring character in the whole movie. Fox was mainly just asked to sit there looking hard and menacing in his sunglasses, while Dicaprio and Waltz got all the great lines. And that was my biggest issue with the movie: SPOILERS: if you're going to kill your two best characters with nearly 45 minutes remaining in the film, your "hero" had better interesting enough to carry the movie by himself. It's not enough that all the bad people get their comeuppance in the end if they're far more compelling than the man you're supposed to be rooting for. If this movie was truly empowering to blacks he would have written Jamie Fox a better character.

Hmm, that's actually kind of an interesting point. Not the beginning but the Jamie Foxx issue. That really was the biggest problem with the movie, Django wasn't nearly interesting enough of a protagonist.

VigoTheCarpathian

You touched on this when Woltz died and you got bored