Page 950 of 1028 FirstFirst ... 945946947948949950951952953954955 ... LastLast
Results 28,471 to 28,500 of 30830

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Just watched Searching For Sugar Man an absolutely loved it. It is an incredible story and the movie does a fantastic job of telling it. It is absolutely heartbreaking that Rodriguez didn't take off in the 70's, because he was an incredibly gifted songwriter and he really deserved it. With that being said, seeing the story unfold and seeing him take the stage again was incredibly uplifting. He just seems like he is the coolest fucking guy in the world and all the attention that this documentary bring him is incredibly justified. I urge all of you to not only watch Searching For Sugar Man, but to also listen to both of Rodriguez' albums, because he is a talent that should not go unknown and it is story that should not go untold.
    My bf and I were both enthralled with the ending. Thanks for the recommendation!

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I'm not counting Death Proof. I'm also not splitting Kill Bill into 2 movies.

Pulp Fiction
    Kill Bill
    Resevoir Dogs
    Jackie Brown
    Inglorious Basterds
    Django

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

• jackie brown
    • pulp fiction
    • reservoir dogs
    • django unchained
    • inglorious bastards
    • deathproof
    • kill bill or "the dick sucking of violence and uma thurman"
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Kill Bill
    Pulp Fiction
    Jackie Brown
    Reservoir Dogs
    Inglorious Basterds
    Django Unchained
    Death Proof
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I am always surprised at how little people like Death Proof. I love that movie.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    What the fuck are you talking about, hillbilly?

Also, the fact that none of you douchebags put Kill Bill 1 up there is horrible. That movie was fucking brilliant.
    Had I had listed a top five, Kill Bill would have been right behind django at number 5.

I also really like death proof so that'd be my honorable mention.
    2013 Wishlist
    OUTKAST, Black Hippy, Ryan Hemsworth, Pleasurekraft, Shlohmo, TNGHT, Action Bronson, Flylo/Captain Murphy, Jamie xx, DJ Funeral, Lone, Cashmere Cat, De La Soul, Chief Keef, Flosstradamus,

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    So do I.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    SPOILERS
    Zero Dark Thirty was abysmal. Genuinely shocked at the praise this film has gotten. I had nothing good to say about it by the end.
    this! atrocious in terms of cinematic quality (e.g., problems with editing->lacking lingering emotionally cogent moments where appropriate) , character portrayal (e.g., terrible/overly-affected acting by the female lead & yelling CIA guy, dialogue was terribad, casting was iffy (see Chris Pratt)), and content (unabashedly biased/nationalistic: mentioned drone strikes once, perfect example of this is the scene where the hotel is blown and the two CIA agents don't even make an attempt to help anyone but themselves). If this is an accurate portrayal, fuck the CIA (as if this weren't already my sentiment), if not, fuck the Bigelow hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    As am I. Kurt Russell killed it. I would love to see him in another Tarantino film.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

The last bit in Death Proof is wonderful. It's the rest of the movie with the bloated coked out Tarantino dialogue that made it hard to watch, which also made it hard to enjoy Inglourious Basterds. I assume Django is more of the same.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Look, I'm sure there are plenty of analyses out there about how the film punctured all these long-standing racial archetypes about revenge and justice, and how it exposed the visceral reality of slavery for audiences who had never really considered it before. I guess you can find reasons to argue it was redeeming.

But for me, it was a just a pothead making an exploitation shoot-em-up spaghetti western about the darkest stain on our nation's history. Rather than being offensive, it was silly.
    So you think it trivialized the plight of the slaves? Or you just don't think that a movie should be allowed to have both slavery and humor?
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Essentially, yes. I'm not concern trolling Django like a lot of people on the right have been doing, but at the end of the day, this was the American holocaust. It trivializes the historical horror of the event by turning it into a Sergio Leone-meets-Shaft flick. I realize QT skated around similar issues in his last movie, but even there he didn't go so far as to set it in fucking Auschwitz or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by boxofbox View Post
    this! atrocious in terms of cinematic quality (e.g., problems with editing->lacking lingering emotionally cogent moments where appropriate) , character portrayal (e.g., terrible/overly-affected acting by the female lead & yelling CIA guy, dialogue was terribad, casting was iffy (see Chris Pratt)), and content (unabashedly biased/nationalistic: mentioned drone strikes once, perfect example of this is the scene where the hotel is blown and the two CIA agents don't even make an attempt to help anyone but themselves). If this is an accurate portrayal, fuck the CIA (as if this weren't already my sentiment), if not, fuck the Bigelow hype.
    This movie didn't make me as angry about everything as it clearly did you. But I also don't see all the hype. I thought Hurt Locker was much better, Zero really did NOTHING with the characters, which always bothers me. I only really enjoyed the last 10 minutes.

Essentially, yes. I'm not concern trolling Django like a lot of people on the right have been doing, but at the end of the day, this was the American holocaust. It trivializes the historical horror of the event by turning it into a Sergio Leone-meets-Shaft flick. I realize QT skated around similar issues in his last movie, but even there he didn't go so far as to set it in fucking Auschwitz or something.
    So the South is Auschwitz?

No, it's okay, Mirior, I get it. Nazis are funny but slave masters aren't. Because Jews are kinda white so your guilt doesn't kick in.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

VigoTheCarpathian

It's not a documentary. It creates a black hero out if it. It talks about a sore subject in a pomo way.

Actually, i hated it not for the depiction of violence, how long it was, or the use of the n-word. I just thought it was a shit movie, with no substance.

VigoTheCarpathian

A shit movie? Really?

I hate it when fools be talking shit on QBs and running backs and shit. You go do it.

It was an entertaining for what it was. A revenge and rescue flick. How's that?

So the South is Auschwitz?

No, it's okay, Mirior, I get it. Nazis are funny but slave masters aren't. Because Jews are kinda white so your guilt doesn't kick in.
    Candyland, not the whole South.

Look I didn't feel great about Basterds, either. I'm only drawing a distinction to point out that Django goes much further than Basterds did in turning the particulars of an awful historical event into fodder for a revenge flick. I mean, no one in that movie throws a can of Zyklon B at a Nazi or conducts medical experiments as part of an elaborate revenge fantasy.

VigoTheCarpathian

I thought I was very well made. The Master was better. Haven't see Zero Dark yet. More than a speghetti western to say the least.

Its like everyone talking shit on cloud atlas. Ok sure it wasn't great, but to put something like that together is a major fucking accomplishment.

Ive tried to write a screenplay and make a film before. Even short, one camera, three actor films are hard to make somewhat not completely shitty.

I mean I don't care if you didn't like the film or not we all have our own taste but it was very good filmmaking and writing and acting and everything.

I don't recall Candyland being particularly funny so I don't see how it was treating it trivially. I think slave traders getting shot is fucking hilarious. I would watch a loop of racist assholes being murdered in hilarious fashions all day long if there was a channel for it. And I think your primary problem with both those movies is that you don't know any Jews and you don't know any blacks either.

VigoTheCarpathian

Candyland, not the whole South.

Look I didn't feel great about Basterds, either. I'm only drawing a distinction to point out that Django goes much further than Basterds did in turning the particulars of an awful historical event into fodder for a revenge flick. I mean, no one in that movie throws a can of Zyklon B at a Nazi or conducts medical experiments as part of an elaborate revenge fantasy.
    Yet this was the movies charm whether you liked it or not. The foreign press obviously liked it very much

Well, sure, Vigo. But at a certain level, you expect the formalistic aspects of quality cinema to be competent if not excellent. That's why I'm moving on to ideology; my point isn't that QT shoots his films poorly or that Jamie Foxx couldn't carry his role.

I don't recall Candyland being particularly funny so I don't see how it was treating it trivially. I think slave traders getting shot is fucking hilarious. I would watch a loop of racist assholes being murdered in hilarious fashions all day long if there was a channel for it. And I think your primary problem with both those movies is that you don't know any Jews and you don't know any blacks either.
    Something can be trivialized even if it's not being played for yuks, Randy.

VigoTheCarpathian

So you found it historically degrading and wish someone would make the Schindlers List of American slavery? Understandable, but Django simply isn't that film nor is QT that kind of filmmaker.

I don't think we need a Schindler's List of American slavery. And I'm not asking Tarantino to make a different kind of film to satisfy me. I am pointing out what I found troublesome about the film that he did make. That is all.

Explain to me what was being trivialized in Candyland exactly.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

It's probably futile to argue this, but one man's exploitation is another man's empowerment. If you believe Tarantino's only reasons for making Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained are to pad his bank account and glorify himself - which would require you to ignore the fact that he put his own salary on the line in order to get the latter made, among other things - then you'll be prone to believe that he's trivializing atrocity. If you understand that a fundamental motivation for exploitation cinema/cinema in general/art in general is to give voice to those who don't always have one in reality, you'll understand that while the film may be a humorous fantasy, it's not for lack of respect to the severity of history. The fantasy kills are presented as ultra-graphic and stylized and often hilarious, but the violence that mirrors actual slave practices is the opposite.

Personally, I wouldn't rank Django or Basterds higher than his top/first four (and I will always count Kill Bill as a single work, though I do find the second half slightly more glorious than the first). But if those two are #5 and 6, that's a quality fucking filmography.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

In particular I would like to hear how Django is offensive and Blazing Saddles is not.

And neither are.

VigoTheCarpathian

"people typically don't get it so sometimes you have to shove it down their throats"
    John Cale