Page 949 of 1027 FirstFirst ... 944945946947948949950951952953954 ... LastLast
Results 28,441 to 28,470 of 30802

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Just watched Searching For Sugar Man an absolutely loved it. It is an incredible story and the movie does a fantastic job of telling it. It is absolutely heartbreaking that Rodriguez didn't take off in the 70's, because he was an incredibly gifted songwriter and he really deserved it. With that being said, seeing the story unfold and seeing him take the stage again was incredibly uplifting. He just seems like he is the coolest fucking guy in the world and all the attention that this documentary bring him is incredibly justified. I urge all of you to not only watch Searching For Sugar Man, but to also listen to both of Rodriguez' albums, because he is a talent that should not go unknown and it is story that should not go untold.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Saw North By Northwest for the first time tonight. Out of the few Hitchcock movies I've seen, this one was probably my favorite. Actually it's been awhile since I've seen any so I am planning on going back and re watching some. I guess there is a reason why his movies are considered classics though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    Saw North By Northwest for the first time tonight. Out of the few Hitchcock movies I've seen, this one was probably my favorite. Actually it's been awhile since I've seen any so I am planning on going back and re watching some. I guess there is a reason why his movies are considered classics though.
    NXNW is a great film, but nothing compares to Vertigo. I'm such a junkie for San Francisco that I notice something new every time I watch it. That and Jimmy Stew makes a much better leading man.

I'm gonna agree; Vertigo is the ultimate. I love everything Hitchcock though... He's had so many classics.

Make sure you watch Rebecca and Notorious! Two older B&Ws that definitely deserve mention for a Hitchcock top 10. Rope too. Of course the obvious NXNW, Strangers on a Train, Psycho, Rear Window. I've been recently rounding out all the Hitchcock's I haven't seen and seriously every single movie is fucking genius. There's still about 5-10 that I need to see.

I recommend watching Vertigo, Sunset Blvd, and Mulholland Dr in quick succession though (not necessarily that order). So much opens up within Lynch's masterpiece if you closely watch those two classics... and vice versa. I don't know that I'd love Vertigo/Hitchcock as much as I do if it wasn't for Lynch's treatment of dreams, obsession, the Hollywood illusion. Perfect example of an artist working with and within tradition to showcase his own individual talent.

The Universal Classic Monsters Blu Ray set FINALLY dropped in price!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Uni...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    I'm gonna agree; Vertigo is the ultimate. I love everything Hitchcock though... He's had so many classics.

Make sure you watch Rebecca and Notorious! Two older B&Ws that definitely deserve mention for a Hitchcock top 10. Rope too. Of course the obvious NXNW, Strangers on a Train, Psycho, Rear Window. I've been recently rounding out all the Hitchcock's I haven't seen and seriously every single movie is fucking genius. There's still about 5-10 that I need to see.
    One of my fondest moviegoing experiences was a big-screen Hitchcock retrospective at a small theater in Dayton, Ohio, in the early 90's. Ten films on consecutive weekends, with a nice mix of his early work and his big hits. Let's see if I can remember them all:

The 39 Steps
    Sabotage
    Shadow of a Doubt
    Lifeboat
    Rope
    Rear Window
    Vertigo
    North by Northwest
    The Birds
    Marnie

They were shown in that order, too, which gave me a nice overview of his trajectory, even though there are some obvious big titles missing. If nothing else, it gave me a real appreciation for Hitchcock's early, lesser-known stuff, a lot of which is easily as good as the films everyone's familiar with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    I recommend watching Vertigo, Sunset Blvd, and Mulholland Dr in quick succession though (not necessarily that order). So much opens up within Lynch's masterpiece if you closely watch those two classics... and vice versa. I don't know that I'd love Vertigo/Hitchcock as much as I do if it wasn't for Lynch's treatment of dreams, obsession, the Hollywood illusion. Perfect example of an artist working with and within tradition to showcase his own individual talent.
    I will try this. I find it interesting that you think Mulholland Dr. is Lynch's masterpiece. I enjoy it more each time I watch it, but I must admit that I still don't "Get it" after more that a dozen viewings in the decade plus that its been out, maybe it's just my non artistic soul grappling for an answer when there really isn't one to be had. I find a majority of David's post Blue Velvet work to be much in the fashion of abstract art and open to a lot of user interpretation.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Django needed to lose 15 minutes. Once Waltz was dead things got drastically less interesting. Everything up to that point was spectacular Tarantino as always, though probably not in his top four.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

The last part is all worth it just to see the ridiculous backwards propulsion when he shoots the lady in the house. I laughed so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

That was fucking awesome, I gotta say. I died. But that was the first laugh I'd had in about a half hour in a movie that was otherwise fucking hilarious. But yeah, that's gotta be like the best gunshot moment of all time. I love Tarantino's ability to make violence hilarious.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

VigoTheCarpathian

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The last part is all worth it just to see the ridiculous backwards propulsion when he shoots the lady in the house. I laughed so hard.
    Yup, and the horses and rap music.

thinking back on Candy, he was kind of progressive, with African art, and his speach about 1 in a millions like Jango becoming more common, the general way he lived with his Slaves, and how he grew up around black people. His speach about the skull dimples was intense and sociopathic.

That moment is totally hilarious. It's so very exaggerated, it got me to wondering afterward, when/where/who is first responsible for that whole film/special effects conceit anyway? In old westerns and action movies, when someone is shot, they do what people do IRL do, they drop like marionettes with the strings cut. At some point over the years, someone decided defying the laws of physics would make much more of a visual impact, and everyone followed suit. Who was it? I'm genuinely curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Well, that's not entirely true. I mean it doesn't apply to that scene because Django wasn't using a shotgun, but if you hit somebody with a barrel of shot from close range... they fly.

No, they don't. Otherwise, the shooter would fly back as far as the victim.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

... okay. Whatever you say, HtD.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    One of my fondest moviegoing experiences was a big-screen Hitchcock retrospective at a small theater in Dayton, Ohio, in the early 90's. Ten films on consecutive weekends, with a nice mix of his early work and his big hits. Let's see if I can remember them all:

The 39 Steps
    Sabotage
    Shadow of a Doubt
    Lifeboat
    Rope
    Rear Window
    Vertigo
    North by Northwest
    The Birds
    Marnie

They were shown in that order, too, which gave me a nice overview of his trajectory, even though there are some obvious big titles missing. If nothing else, it gave me a real appreciation for Hitchcock's early, lesser-known stuff, a lot of which is easily as good as the films everyone's familiar with.
    Jealous. I've yet to see any Hitchcock on the big screen. (Just my projector "big screen") There's still quite a few titles I haven't seen (mostly early stuff) but I'm working on it. So many great flicks... it's overwhelming at times.

Quote Originally Posted by latexsolarbeef View Post
    I will try this. I find it interesting that you think Mulholland Dr. is Lynch's masterpiece. I enjoy it more each time I watch it, but I must admit that I still don't "Get it" after more that a dozen viewings in the decade plus that its been out, maybe it's just my non artistic soul grappling for an answer when there really isn't one to be had. I find a majority of David's post Blue Velvet work to be much in the fashion of abstract art and open to a lot of user interpretation.
    I don't think it's his only masterpiece. The dude is a complete maniac genius.

There's a lot of stuff on the internet to help make sense of Mulholland Dr. (though it is kind of the easy way out) Obviously don't click these links if you don't want help/spoilers.

http://badassdigest.com/2012/03/04/f...holland-drive/

http://www.mulholland-drive.net/studies/references.htm
    Some Mulholland Dr. spoilers:
    The Hulk write-up, although tough to read, is the best interpretation I've seen so far. I generally agree with everything he said, but I haven't read it in a while. I can't remember how much he talks about all the film references in MD though, and to me that's the most interesting part. Once the plot is pretty much figured out, the dissecting of Lynch's imagery and weirdness can really begin.

Sunset Blvd's treatment of Hollywood illusion and Hollywood women (specifically the using of women) really gets at the heart of Mulholland Dr, I think. There's even a young naive girl named Betty hell-bent on getting noticed in the industry.

Vertigo's got the dreams, the obsession on a woman, the transformation of that woman from blonde to brunette to blonde, etc. There's so much in Vertigo... I'll have to watch it again. That gray suit! Literally the exact suit Betty wears.

Lynch also uses so many Hitchcock items in MD: the purse full of money (Psycho), the mysterious/secretive key (Rebecca, Notorious), everybody's got a robe to sleep in. It's hilarious. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Just watched Searching For Sugar Man an absolutely loved it. It is an incredible story and the movie does a fantastic job of telling it. It is absolutely heartbreaking that Rodriguez didn't take off in the 70's, because he was an incredibly gifted songwriter and he really deserved it. With that being said, seeing the story unfold and seeing him take the stage again was incredibly uplifting. He just seems like he is the coolest fucking guy in the world and all the attention that this documentary bring him is incredibly justified. I urge all of you to not only watch Searching For Sugar Man, but to also listen to both of Rodriguez' albums, because he is a talent that should not go unknown and it is story that should not go untold.
    I haven't seen the documentary yet, but I got Cold Fact a few years ago when I had heard he was going be at Austin City Limits Fest in '09. It's a great album. His performance was a bit scary to watch - he seemed really frail and fragile up there on stage, he was being helped on and off (later on I found out he's almost blind). His band more than picked up the slack though. I'm glad he's getting more attention.

Since this is the movie thread, I watched Ted last night. I didn't laugh a whole lot, but Mark and Mila really did a good job in their roles, which elevated the film above its predictability. Also I thought Walter Murphy's score was a refreshing change of pace from the usual pop songs that get inserted into these young people comedy/dramas.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Django needed to lose 15 minutes. Once Waltz was dead things got drastically less interesting. Everything up to that point was spectacular Tarantino as always, though probably not in his top four.
    agree with this, my only critique of the movie. Seemed like Tarantino lost a bit of control of the script and opted to just kill everyone on screen. Which he's done before (kill bill, inglorious basterds) but other than that really enjoyed it.

i'd place it right at the end of his top 4 in my opinion.

1. Pulp fiction
    2. Reservoir Dogs
    3. Inglorious Basterds
    4. Django
    2013 Wishlist
    OUTKAST, Black Hippy, Ryan Hemsworth, Pleasurekraft, Shlohmo, TNGHT, Action Bronson, Flylo/Captain Murphy, Jamie xx, DJ Funeral, Lone, Cashmere Cat, De La Soul, Chief Keef, Flosstradamus,

VigoTheCarpathian

You don't believe you are fetishizing the vintage and minimalism of Resivoir Dogs ?

It's just a personal preference with me. Lots of memorable moments. The tipping scene, the mr pink dialogue. Stealers Wheel stuck in the middle with you. Plus the ending was satisfying, more so than django at least.
    2013 Wishlist
    OUTKAST, Black Hippy, Ryan Hemsworth, Pleasurekraft, Shlohmo, TNGHT, Action Bronson, Flylo/Captain Murphy, Jamie xx, DJ Funeral, Lone, Cashmere Cat, De La Soul, Chief Keef, Flosstradamus,

How anyone can claim Basterds over Django is beyond me
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

We're really splitting hairs at this point, these are both two of my favorite movies. But i prefer Christopher Waltz as a villain over a hero. The scene where he finds the Jews hidden under the floorboards was great. I've always been more interested in WWII films over westerns and civil war era movies. But both were great flicks.
    2013 Wishlist

Just saw Silver Lining Playbook. It was good. Jennifer Lawrence did a good job like usual and surprisingly so did Bradley Cooper. I didn't know if I'd be able to take him seriously but he pulled it off. I keep wanting to say things about it but don't want to give anything away....but I would recommend it!

I ended up being pretty ambivalent about Django. Even setting aside the politics of the film (which for me were troublesome), I found it to be overlong and a retread of his last film.

Quote Originally Posted by alyssaf12 View Post
    Just saw Silver Lining Playbook. It was good. Jennifer Lawrence did a good job like usual and surprisingly so did Bradley Cooper. I didn't know if I'd be able to take him seriously but he pulled it off. I keep wanting to say things about it but don't want to give anything away....but I would recommend it!
    Loved this, every minute of it.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Yeah I watched SLP last night as well. I had a bit of a tough time getting into it - it felt kind of forced at first. But the second half won me over, and overall I liked it a lot. And yeah, Cooper was surprisingly good in a dramatic role.

Oh, and Gabe the theory you posted way back when is definitely an interesting one, but I really think the film is much more literal than that. If your theory was true, I imagine there would have been some revelation at the end.
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    I ended up being pretty ambivalent about Django. Even setting aside the politics of the film (which for me were troublesome)
    What the fuck are you talking about, hillbilly?

Also, the fact that none of you douchebags put Kill Bill 1 up there is horrible. That movie was fucking brilliant.

Look, I'm sure there are plenty of analyses out there about how the film punctured all these long-standing racial archetypes about revenge and justice, and how it exposed the visceral reality of slavery for audiences who had never really considered it before. I guess you can find reasons to argue it was redeeming.

But for me, it was a just a pothead making an exploitation shoot-em-up spaghetti western about the darkest stain on our nation's history. Rather than being offensive, it was silly.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Also, the fact that none of you douchebags put Kill Bill 1 up there is horrible. That movie was fucking brilliant.
    Agreed. It seems like in general people prefer 2 to 1 too, which I never understood. KB1 is probably third in my book behind PF and JB.
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

And sure, I'll do the Radiohead thing for Tarantino:

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Kill Bill with a preference for the second film over the first
    3. Jackie Brown
    4. Death Proof
    5. Reservoir Dogs
    6. Inglorious Basterds
    7. Django Unchained

Wow. I think Death Proof is the worst thing he's ever done. Guess I gotta revisit that. I'll play:

1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Kill Bill 1 and 2 (They're tied for me... I kinda see it as one epic)
    3. Reservoir Dogs
    4. Jackie Brown
    5. Inglorious Basterds
    6. Django Unchained
    7. Death Proof

I'd even count True Romance and Dusk til Dawn above Death Proof.

2-5 change all day. I don't see Django moving up anytime soon. A lot of fun and a wild homage but it's definitely lacking. Jackie Brown always seems to slip down the list for me, until I rewatch it and remember Ordell's glorious ponytail.