http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/ma...anted=all&_r=0

Wow... just wow.
    God I hope it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    God I hope it works.
    Yeah, I kinda do too... weird, because I thought going into the article, it'd be all about how this thing fell apart. I can't believe there wasn't a more epic meltdown on set, but wow, the picture it paints of Lohan makes a case for a bio-pic (a nice one, instead of the trashy one you know we'll get from Lifetime, E!, so some other bottom-feeding television network).
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Hell, I need to get around to reading a Bret Easton Ellis novel. He's sleazy.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

VigoTheCarpathian

Holy shit Django. It's like seeing Pulp Fiction for the first time. Best acting ever. Can't even begin to articulate.

Quote Originally Posted by VigoTheCarpathian View Post
    Holy shit Django. It's like seeing Pulp Fiction for the first time. Best acting ever. Can't even begin to articulate.

VigoTheCarpathian

Dude, Waltz's character was so fucking sharp and hilarious. And DiCaprio was the epitomy of a spoild, sadistic plantation owner. And Samuel L. played his character so well that I didn't even realize it was him till it was explained to me after the movie.

So violent and so well made. And the rap music! Just awesome

Agreed. It's sad the academy hates Leo so much cause he easily could've snubbed an oscar with that performance.

VigoTheCarpathian

Totally

Has anyone seen Hitchcock yet? I have all the screeners and was thinking about watching that one tonight...thoughts?

Besides this....

Go on...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Coachella Junkie

It's a recreation of a scene from a movie called Psycho. It's about moms.

VigoTheCarpathian

Yeah... Mother

Hell, I need to get around to reading a Bret Easton Ellis novel. He's sleazy.
    The Rules of Attraction and Less Than Zero are pretty good places to start. Unless you want to go with American Psycho, which is pretty graphic at times (the book's violence is much worse than what was in the movie).
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

The live actor Bates motel portion of the Universal Studios tour was hands down the best part of the entire park. Psycho is playing this Wednesday at the South Coast Village if you’re arsed. I may be arsed.

And there is a new TV show coming out showing a proposed pre-film Mother/Son relationship: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bates_M...28TV_series%29

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Congratulations! You are the 2013 recipient of my annual "Why are you talking about the Oscars in here? They have nothing to do with movies!" comment.
    Speaking of the Oscars, good to see Beasts of the Southern Wild get some love. As noted on NPR this evening, the movie had a smaller budget than Daniel Day Lewis' personal wardrobe in Lincoln. If there was one group of people who weren't gonna hold Benh Zeitlin's whiteness against him, it was the Academy. Amirite, Gabe?

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Not remotely. It's NOT good to see it getting awards love (outside of the acting), and if you will remember, I didn't hold Zeitlin's whiteness against him. His privileged background only registered because the movie is horseshit. But I have passionately defended his effort in spite of his execution.

In spite of some genuinely brilliant moments, I loathed Amour. I'll try to talk about it tomorrow. My Haneke problem is alive and well.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Past few weeks I've seen

Django Unchained
    Looper
    Zero Dark Thirty
    Compliance

Enjoyed all of them and would recommend. Especially django and zero dark thirty. Favorite movies of the year
    2013 Wishlist
    OUTKAST, Black Hippy, Ryan Hemsworth, Pleasurekraft, Shlohmo, TNGHT, Action Bronson, Flylo/Captain Murphy, Jamie xx, DJ Funeral, Lone, Cashmere Cat, De La Soul, Chief Keef, Flosstradamus,

Nothing like revisiting 400 Blows... Has to be in my top 5 of all time. I hadn't seen it in like 4 years and I missed it so much.

About to go on a huge Truffaut kick I can feel it. Amazing storyteller, amazing sense of humor

Okay, let's try this now.

It says a great deal about my experiences with Michael Haneke that I could walk out of Amour feeling it's the best of his four films I've seen....and yet my first public comments on it are

In spite of some genuinely brilliant moments, I loathed Amour. I'll try to talk about it tomorrow. My Haneke problem is alive and well.
    I was repulsed by the US version of Funny Games (admittedly, a poor entry point), got comically little out of The White Ribbon, and mostly disliked Time of the Wolf; each of these films has moments of overwhelmingly powerful filmmaking, but are burdened by what I see as a contemptuous, rotten worldview that seeks to suffocate the viewer to virtually no constructive end, compounded by an aversion to the inner lives of its characters. Amour appeared, for long stretches, to refute this interpretation; indeed, there are a few sequences here - the first long scene in the kitchen, the arrival of the electric wheelchair, the scene where Anne tickles the ivories, and the final bit with the pigeon - that I would rate as some of my favorite in recent cinema. But around the halfway mark of the film, it occurred to me that Haneke was still more interested in the scenario than in Georges and Anne (played, in two of 2012's finest performances, by Jean-Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva) as human beings; there are some brief moments that contradict that, but I felt the majority of the film took a superficial view of the characters. I was trying to put this out of mind....and then there are a couple instances of vintage Haneke cruelty late in the film that sent me into a fucking vitriolic spiral. Each of them has an intellectual purpose that I don't feel escapes me: the face slap conveys the growing burden on Georges, a moment of vulnerability under the immense weight on his shoulders; the sudden suffocation of Anne being perhaps an inevitable conclusion that may not have been possible under less urgent circumstances. Yet I simply (perhaps simplistically) refuse believe that there doesn't exist a less vicious way for either of these emotions to be expressed, and thus I'm left yet again exiting a Haneke film impressed with his skill but overwhelmed by anger and suspicion toward his motives. I'm starting to wonder how much more time I can spend trying to like/understand/appreciate this guy's work.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Not remotely. It's NOT good to see it getting awards love (outside of the acting), and if you will remember, I didn't hold Zeitlin's whiteness against him. His privileged background only registered because the movie is horseshit. But I have passionately defended his effort in spite of his execution.
    I'm sorry I couldn't resist.

Just for that, I might take the Falcons.

Just for that, I might take the Falcons.
    Go with your heart, Gabriel.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Finally going to New Beverly to see Django tonight. Any advice on parking or anything I should know about? Is there a lot? What's the deal?
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

It's streets only and fucking horrible altogether unless you get there after meter hours and catch a break. I ended up parking on Oakwood and Formosa last time I was there. Also, don't forget that it's cash only.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I always enjoy reading through notable people's Criterion picks, you can check out Guy Maddin's picks here.

I haven't seen a single one of those.
    I had not seen those lists but they are great. I mean I think they would be more great if I had seen more than 10 percent of the films they have available but alas. That is what the future is for!

I also have not seen any of Guy's picks. Looking through it with Tiffany (who loves Maddin) she had seen 9 of them. One of them (thanks, Patrick) made her top 10 and another 4 were close. She also wishes Bill and Coo and I Am Suzanne could be on his list.

I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Just got back from seeing Django. First off, loved the locations: they filmed a good amount in the Eastern Sierra, where I'm living currently, and it was awesome to see local haunts all throughout the film. I thought Foxx did a bang-up job as his character and loved the development that he had throughout the film. Watching him inspire the hard slave towards the end (tear in eye) was such a symbol of how far he'd come. Waltz killed it, DiCaprio was just so damn demented and Samuel L. had me laughing and cringing in equal measures. The KKK scene had me rolling, certain others had me infuriated and I thought it tied together incredibly well.

And it's not too long at all. Get an attention span, hippies.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Ok. Kurosawa's High and Low might have the greatest last 25 minutes of all time. Seriously. Just fucking brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Ok. Kurosawa's High and Low might have the greatest last 25 minutes of all time. Seriously. Just fucking brilliant.
    Toshirô Mifune is a God

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015, SDCC 7/9-12/2015