Page 943 of 1016 FirstFirst ... 938939940941942943944945946947948 ... LastLast
Results 28,261 to 28,290 of 30462

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Just watched Samsara on my new projector. So fucking incredible.

The performance artist? The colored-sand mandala? The shots of Mecca?

Fuck.

Have you seen Baraka?
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Nope; already downloading.

This movie fucked me up though. Unbelievable.

Watch Baraka in the highest resolution possible on the biggest screen possible.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

We'd had In Darkness PVRd for a while and finally watched it last night. It was very well done but some really disturbing content, and the closing commentary right before the credits rolled was very sad. Still really worth the watch however.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I totally loved Django Unchained. it's not something I would bother critically analyzing or even really attempt to take seriously though. it is a completely ridiculous, fetishistic, big-bugdet exploitation/B-movie. it had me laughing the whole time and the length didn't really bother me. i never felt bored at all.

Heather and I decided to really do a 180 and saw Lincoln the very next night, which we also both really loved.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    It seems since post Jackie Brown that Tarantino films have mostly served the purpose to please himself, which is fine, but maybe cut down on the over two hour films.
    That's why Jackie Brown is still my favorite Terantino film. I'll always give his movies a chance, but PF and JB are just amazing movies. I'm sure this has been brought up already.... but how about God Bless America? My eyes got wet the first time I watched it ha

Terantino should give it up.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I really liked Looper; it might top my very limited 2012 list.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Wow, Looper was really fucking stupid.
    My problems with Looper are identical to my problems with Inception. They're both primarily action movies that drastically over-explain their admittedly clever premises, and take the science out of sci-fi by choosing to engage with their ideas exclusively via simplistic genre tropes (the Bond-derived dream settings in Inception, the time-travel-as-device-for-mob-vengeance-only here) rather than scenarios that require actual imagination or intellectual complexity. They also share an affinity for underdeveloped romances; this was only a minor irritant in Inception, but Looper actively uses the "love story" to destroy its credibility. Not only does it slow the second half of the film to a crawl and demand investment in a depthless relationship, with a stock female who doesn't have a shred of personality besides "feisty and horny" (I like Emily Blunt, but she's got nothing to do here)...and after all that water-treading, the climax completely shuns the few interesting notions the film has raised (for starters, the JGL character's knowledge and injuries transfer repeatedly to the Bruce Willis version; yet somehow his emotional transformation and growing bond with mom and son has no effect on Willis the angry killing machine) so that Rian Johnson can end the movie with Another Christ Sacrifice.

I enjoyed it as I watched it, but every time I've thought, spoke or written about it afterward has made me hate it. Which is exactly what happened with Inception.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I don't care about y'all snobs who'll probably dislike it, Lincoln was fantastic. Daniel Day-Lewis does an incredible job of capturing the doubt, quiet intellectualism and populism of Lincoln during the toughest fight of his presidency. There aren't easy answers; when a former slave asks him what he thinks of black folk, his honest response boils down to, "I'll learn to live with you." House minority leader Wood is (in my mind correctly) portrayed as a loud-mouthed caricature, but it would have been nice to have some sort of cut-away scene like they gave for Thaddeus Stevens, who is similarly portrayed as a loud-mouth and iconoclast, to more fully understand his motivations. That is somewhat covered by other House Democrats whose reasons for opposing the 13th amendment are more fleshed out. Those are pretty much my quibbles though, as DDL has a masterful performance and the film seemed highly researched and fairly accurate in its depictions of the time.

Oh, except for the fact that Ulysses S. Grant is never drunk and much less ugly than he was in real life.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

For as much information as Lincoln has to present to its audience, that film really moves, which i appreciated. From the get-go it has a very deliberate pace, and even though it's extremely talky I was quite captivated at just about everything that was happening. It is a wonderfully shot movie too.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

Does the film cover Lincoln's assassination?

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Is "Gay Bar" on the Lincoln soundtrack?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Does the film cover Lincoln's assassination?
    It is primarily about the passage of the 13th amendment, but it covers the last 4 weeks of his life.
    last.fm

Saw The Hobbit in HFR 3D yesterday. Loved both the visuals and the movie. I thought the acting was good, the action sequences well executed and the pacing of the story fine. If anything, maybe the "fight, flight, repeat" motif gets a bit old. But expanding the story out to fill up a trilogy did not bother me. I was disappointed when it ended because I was ready for more.
    Darkside| Spiritualized| Spiritualized| Pixies| Lord Huron| This Will Destroy You| Tool| Kraftwerk| The National| Neil Young| Coachella| Mogwai| Black Sabbath| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| NIN/Soundgarden| Fleetwood Mac

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Terantino should give it up.
    Wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    kvnty offered me 2 fists for one companion parking pass

It was a Zafo-typo joke.

WHOOSH

Anyway, watched Mean Streets the other night for the first time. Classic Scorcese vibes, the music is absolutely incredible, and it features two of the best performances I've seen from DeNiro and Keitel. It's amazing watching these dudes go at it... True geniuses. And seeing them so young and passionate is a treat. Highly recommended. The plot is a bit wishy-washy but the style and vibes of this movie are out-of-control perfect.

Superman IV: Quest For Peace

most inspirational Superman movie

Christopher Reeves greatest role
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    It seems since post Jackie Brown that Tarantino films have mostly served the purpose to please himself, which is fine, but maybe cut down on the over two hour films.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    That's why Jackie Brown is still my favorite Terantino film. I'll always give his movies a chance, but PF and JB are just amazing movies.
    Both Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction were over 2 1/2 hours by the way.

It's not good when it's long.
    It's not long when it's good.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1),12(2),13(1),13(2)
    Upcoming shows
    First Aid Kit 5/26, Parquet Courts 5/27, The Faint 6/1, Lady Gaga 6/3, Robyn/Röyksopp 6/28, Sharon Van Etten 6/29, Deafheaven 7/2, Cloud Nothings 7/7
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Both Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction were over 2 1/2 hours by the way.
    I didn't mean to agree with the criticism of the length of the films. It shouldn't matter how long a movie is, if it's done properly. That's probably why I couldn't stand the LOTR movies. Let's make a movie three hours without progressing the story much. Sounds like a stellar plan for making three movies out of one. If a movie is good enough, you won't care that it was sixty minutes, or that it was four hours long. It'll make sense, and you'll want to watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    It's not good when it's long.
    It's not long when it's good.
    Says the man who lost a cock contest to the Naked Wizard

The murder capital where we murder for capital

What does it mean when he mostly makes movies that please himself? I honestely didn't understand either part of what you were agreeing with, Zafocaine.

Prior to seeing Lincoln I read a lot of hype about Daniel Day Lewis' performance and he lived up to it. Great movie and it was captivating from start to finish.

The Hobbit was was also very good. I enjoy the adventures and have loved each and every one of these movies and i'm looking forward to more. It's such a rich story that I would prefer it be drawn out rather than hurried through. The landscapes that are filmed continue to make me want to visit New Zealand.

All three of these movies (including Django here) were well worth the price of admission.

Jackie Brown has been my favorite of his films since the first time I saw it, after having seen Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. Pulp Fiction was his master work, in my opinion. It's all his. Jackie Brown owes a debt to Elmore Leonard that Pulp Fiction does not owe. Pulp Fiction marked the end of Tarantino as an artist, and the beginning of his life as a pop director. Everything since PF has been marred by sudden popularity without review. In other words.... his movies are just good based on being Tarantino films. Kill Bill was cool. Inglorious Bastards was cool. Everything he does is just cool. Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown? Those are films you can put in whenever, and people will be drawn in whether they've seen it a hundred times or once. I've liked all of his films for various reasons, but I have yet to see Django Unchained. I've heard from people who aren't really into movies that it's a good movie.... so I'm guessing it's another pop sensation just because. I hope I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Zafocaine; 12-31-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: EA sports. Get into the game.

Remove your head.

From out your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    What does it mean when he mostly makes movies that please himself? I honestely didn't understand either part of what you were agreeing with.
    Making movies that his satisfy his own desires for a movie, spaghetti westerns, revenge flicks, samarai films, rather than taking an audience into account with something like character development. And, i don't care if the movie is over two hours, but if you're going to jerk yourself off maybe keep it under two hours. Just me, though.

Or, you could just not watch it if it's not your style. I like that he's a little outside of the box.

You're right.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Remove your head.

From out your ass.
    With all your piled up witticisms, it's a surprise you're of no real world repute...