Page 942 of 1023 FirstFirst ... 937938939940941942943944945946947 ... LastLast
Results 28,231 to 28,260 of 30680

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    I think I caught it on IFC or Sundance back when I had cable and they showed that all the fucking time. Any flick that's got Nic Cage, Dennis Hopper, JT Walsh, and Lara Flynn Boyle in it is automatically better than 80% of everything else out there, but that movie's got a ton of wit and style. I'm about due for a re-watch. It's up their with Blood Simple as far as noir influenced indies go.

EDIT: And it looks like the whole thing's on YouTube.
    Thoughts on The Last Seduction (if you've seen it)? It's been ages since I saw it, but I remember liking it quite a bit and thinking it was nearly as good as Red Rock West. Interesting (and unfortunate) that John Dahl's career now mainly consists of directing episodes of Dexter and Californication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Agreed. Plus, it's got Linda Fiorentino, who almost makes me want to renounce my life of sin.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Just saw Crumb late Friday night on Turner Classic Movies. It says a lot when R. Crumb is the least messed up person in his family. Also, I could also see why Ghost World was a natural choice for Zwiggoff to direct next.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Agreed. Plus, it's got Linda Fiorentino, who almost makes me want to renounce my life of sin.
    She is the perfect evil bitch in that movie. She's hardly been in anything since that Paul Newman movie Where the Money Is, I wonder what happened to her? Always thought she was a pretty good actress.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Saw "Jack Reacher" yesterday... it was a terrific time at the movies. Lots of suspense, good car chases (with Tom Cruise actually doing his own stunt driving) and procedural investigation. The ending was a little bookish, but it's based on a book, soooo... okay.

Fair warning, there's a fair amount of murdering innocent women and children that seemed to shock and dismay the crowd I watched the film with on the heels of the recent school massacre. I credit the studio for not delaying the film's release as a result of the killings... but there was a fair amount of gasping in the theater.

Most interesting moment of the afternoon was seeing the trailer for the new Marky Mark-Michael Bay "Bad Boys" style flick "Pain & Gain" back to back with the "Broken City" trailer. Two completely different Marky Marks..... one gigantic Hulkish Mark, and the normal size Mark. Example:

mark-wahlberg-shirtless-body.jpg

Scrooged is pretty fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

The Queen of Versailles - documentary about the rise and fall of an american millionaire (billionaire?) and his wife who thinks they are "normal" people. It's quite interesting to see such a life of excess and see how trashy they can still be (dog poop everywhere, kids can't even take care of their pets, etc). It's like Real Housewives, minus all the fake drama. The husband and wife don't necessarily seem like bad people, but anyone that thinks their 26K square foot home is too small should just die already.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

Family movie day.. Django Unchained.

Loved it. It was very tonally similar (in its peaks and valleys) to Inglourious Basterds, but just like IB, the performances and high-tension situations make it all work. Of course it was filled with the n-word, gratuitous violence, and fairly horrific torture situations... but the movie was everything it set out to be.

To be fair, I'm a big QT fan, so there will be some that don't like the violence, the modern wordplay, the use of the n-word... but as a fan, I was extremely pleased.

Family Movie day also. All wanted to see different things and only thing we agreed on was Parental Guidance. It was actually pretty funny. Not a great movie by any standards but worth the price of admission. Laughs through out the whole movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Saw Les Miserables and mostly enjoyed it. Some very odd choices throughout, though, that occasionally distracted from everything else.

For being a musical it wasn't much for singing... or at least the powerful style of singing I like most (and strongly associate with Les Miz). Anne Hathaway could pull off the half-singing, half-crying acting with the face bit, Hugh Jackman, for example, could not.

I was concerned about Russell Crowe and confident in Hugh Jackman, the latter was had a weak, ugly sound and weird accent drift throughout while the former has a limited voice but used it well and was effective overall.

I posted in here saying at least Eponine will be good... but while Samantha Barks actually projected and has a good voice she stuck out, her singing for the stage sounded out of place and when Tom Hooper did close ups of her face (as he did for pretty much everybody in every song) little was seen. She also had a number of lines cut making the character even more thin.

My friend who didn't know the musical liked it enough and found it rather cinematic; I found that while it did a lot of close-ups (to good effect, at times) it rarely took advantage of films ability to show us more, give us a clear sense of place and perspective.
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

My friend brought over a few pre-screeners last night and we decided on This is 40 after much deliberation within the group. I LOVED IT. Obviously, much of it is cutesy funny/awkward and there is the Apatow-patented depressing 3rd act, but overall I was laughing soooo much. Albert Brooks is fucking unreal, I couldn't stop whenever he was on the screen. Jason Segel puts in a great cameo as well.

Nothing too special but a lot of laughs for sure. 1000 times better than Funny People (which I really disliked) and definitely on par with Knocked Up.

Aside from Christoph Waltz's absolutely wonderful performance, I was really let down by Django Unchained. I'll leave it at that for now until more see it, and look forward to some discussion about it.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Aside from Christoph Waltz's absolutely wonderful performance, I was really let down by Django Unchained. I'll leave it at that for now until more see it, and look forward to some discussion about it.
    MARGINAL SPOILERS:

Pretty much my assessment as well. Leo was great too, but it was poorly structured, overlong and literally oozed ugliness. I'm a huge Tarantino fan and can stomach more filth and obscenity than 99% of the movie-going public, but when you've built your reputation on writing exceptional dialogue it's pretty lazy and disappointing when you assemble such a fine group of actors and hand them a script that consists primarily of the word ****** uttered in every conceivable variation. Most of all I hate that he forced me to agree with Spike Lee's assessment of a movie he never even bothered to watch. To me Django kind of felt like what Inglorious Basterds would have been like if he'd skipped the whole Jew Special Forces plot and just set the movie in a concentration camp. If the film would have been better then maybe I'd feel differently, but maybe some subject matter deserves a little more respect and shouldn't be marketed as a Christmas Day popcorn movie with 2pac on the soundtrack. Also, Quentin's cameo was the worse scene in any movie he's ever made. No one bats 1.000, I guess.

What was some of your guys' best surprises this year? I have to go with Chronicle. Thought it was gonna be horrible but ended up being very dark and good.

Cabin in the Woods has to be up there. 21 Jump Street as well. Didn't expect either to be as great as they were.

Still haven't seen Chronicle though... looks a little cheesy to be honest. I'll check it out sometime; I've seen the trailer a few times.

Yeah definitely agree with 21 Jump Street, shit was pretty hilarious. All of "skinny Jonah's" movies seem to blow except for that one.

It definitely is a tad cheesy, but never too overbearing. I just liked how I thought it was gonna be a typical superpower movie, but it was really dark. The main kid is so fucked in the head and I thought he did a great job acting.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    The Queen of Versailles - documentary about the rise and fall of an american millionaire (billionaire?) and his wife who thinks they are "normal" people. It's quite interesting to see such a life of excess and see how trashy they can still be (dog poop everywhere, kids can't even take care of their pets, etc). It's like Real Housewives, minus all the fake drama. The husband and wife don't necessarily seem like bad people, but anyone that thinks their 26K square foot home is too small should just die already.
    Watched this last night on Netflix on demand. Really good movie. The director must have said Jackpot when everything went south and the family allowed them to keep filming. For all the obnoxiousness of the family, you still have to give them props for allowing the crew to keep filming.

Best surprise movies of 2012:
    21 Jump Street
    Project X
    Pitch Perfect
    Haywire
    Bernie

I'm looking forward to seeing This is the End in the spring. It looks pretty hysterical, hope it's not a disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i posted my thoughts about les miz on facebook, but will type up a review at some point. all i can say is russell crowe probably drank himself to death after seeing his shitty performance.

while getting carried away on IMDB, i found this again. hey film industry buffs, is the freddie mercury movie ever going to happen?!?!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727824/
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Wow, Looper was really fucking stupid.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Wow, Looper was really fucking stupid.
    Finally someone said it.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Echo & the Bunnymen 8/2, #BEENTRILL#/Jesse Andrews OSL Afterparty 8/8, Sir Paul McCartney 8/14, Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Charli XCX 10/25
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

If it wasn't already known, and it should be known, Malick's Days of Heaven is playing in The Dome at the Arclight Hollywood, February 3rd.
    https://www.arclightcinemas.com/movi...mo=spotlightM2

I really liked Looper; it might top my very limited 2012 list.

Though I may see Django Unchained this afternoon and will most certainly see Holy Motors on Sunday.
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Fuck Spike Lee and forget some of you pansies, Django Unchained was fantastic! Although, I would have been happier if it had ended 20 minutes sooner then it did.

Looper is great as well and will certainly be in my top ten for the year.

My biggest surprises of 2012?

21 Jump Street - Thought that would be awful and it turned out to be very enjoyable.

The Hunt - I knew it would be good, but didn't expect it to be my favorite film of 2012.

Holy Motors - Expected it to be one of my favorites of the year and turned out to be one of my least favorites.

The Hobbit - Lowered expectations and the fact that Peter Jackson decided to split this into 3 films, made me believe it would be a boring mess. I was happy to find it was quite the opposite, although a bit exhausting and was not a fan of the HFR. The kid inside me thoroughly enjoyed this movie however.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Django was good. Not giving a review but it was worth my 10 bucks
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

It seems since post Jackie Brown that Tarantino films have mostly served the purpose to please himself, which is fine, but maybe cut down on the over two hour films.
    Last edited by buddy; 12-29-2012 at 09:47 AM.

I finally saw Skyfall last night. The first part was awesome, but once they got on the island it turned into some crappy Batman and Joker revenge-capade. It lost me when the girl got shot in the head. James Bond would have never allowed that girl to die.

They killed off james bonds wife in the sir roger moore era .I
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

But he didn't let it happen. It's not as if women don't die in Bond movies, but she did nothing but what he asked her to do and she was already a victim of the slave trade. Bond is a gentleman. He would have saved her, and then to add insult to injury that awful one liner that followed was painful. A waste of whisky? What crap.
    Last edited by algunz; 12-29-2012 at 11:11 AM.

They killed off james bonds wife in the sir roger moore era .I
    Lazenby.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare