Page 938 of 1026 FirstFirst ... 933934935936937938939940941942943 ... LastLast
Results 28,111 to 28,140 of 30774

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Rust and Bone was really good. It kind of lost me a bit toward the middle, but the final act was fantastic and it definitely redeemed itself. Excellent, excellent soundtrack as well, bookended by Bon Iver.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I saw Django Unchained last night and it was incredible. Better then Inglorious Bastards, possibly his best.....and I have a hard time saying that because Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are so incredible......definitely a must see.

Jealous of you guys seeing it early...Matt saw it the other night as well.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Make it your christmas gift and go see it the second it comes out!!! Or find someone who is part of a union and tag along with them to an early screening

I like where your head's at. My birthday's actually the day after Christmas, so I'm making it my birthday gift!
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

That's perfect! Definitely a good birthday gift!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alyssaf12 View Post
    I saw Django Unchained last night and it was incredible. Better then Inglorious Bastards, possibly his best.....and I have a hard time saying that because Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are so incredible......definitely a must see.
    How did you manage to see an early screening?
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    How did you manage to see an early screening?
    Los Angeles has mad screenings, SAG-AFTRA/DGA/PGA/WGA/ADG

LA Times/Variety has free screenings that start around September

One more reason we get to be pompous assholes

Speaking of DGA screenings...

Avengers screening with Joss Whedon Q&A (and others to be confirmed). RSVP gets you a +1. People hold tickets in their cart but it'll let you get one if you refresh a bit (hopefully).
    http://go-12-18-avengers-2.eventbrite.com

My sister and I are going through the Criterion samurai films. It's been a lot of fun so far (except for when we tried watching the Samurai Trilogy), and we've seen films ranging from an atmoshpheric ghost story to classic, straight-up adventure. One thing is constant, though: being a peasant sucks. Life consists of eating millet and then it's death by starvation, or death by bandits, or death by raiding samurai.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Los Angeles has mad screenings, SAG-AFTRA/DGA/PGA/WGA/ADG

LA Times/Variety has free screenings that start around September

One more reason we get to be pompous assholes
    Can't say I'm not jealous.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Where can I go to find out about LA screenings so I don't miss them? Is there a blog or RSS feed that posts them?

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    4 - Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl
    8-10 - Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park
    14 - Death From Above 1979 - Troubadour
    20 - The Strokes - Chelsea at Cosmopolitan

Quote Originally Posted by atom heart View Post
    My sister and I are going through the Criterion samurai films. It's been a lot of fun so far (except for when we tried watching the Samurai Trilogy), and we've seen films ranging from an atmoshpheric ghost story to classic, straight-up adventure. One thing is constant, though: being a peasant sucks. Life consists of eating millet and then it's death by starvation, or death by bandits, or death by raiding samurai.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Tonight I watched and enjoyed Shane Carruth's Primer quite a bit, although I feel it was a bit too convoluted for its own good.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

no.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    no.
    Thing is, back in 2004 I understand something being made that required multiple viewings to fully grasp or whatever. There are several different films that come to mind in that regard. But, like it or not, things have changed a lot since then. Between music, television, and film, these days we are so constantly bombarded from all angles (with higher quality content than before imho) that it's a lot harder for the consumer to find time to revisit things. Primer may very well be something that requires that. I just don't know that I cared about it enough to make the time for it in the near future.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Are you sure you're not just dumb? 'Cause I'm almost positive that's going to give you a problem comprehending things.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Thing is, back in 2004 I understand something being made that required multiple viewings to fully grasp or whatever. There are several different films that come to mind in that regard. But, like it or not, things have changed a lot since then. Between music, television, and film, these days we are so constantly bombarded from all angles (with higher quality content than before imho) that it's a lot harder for the consumer to find time to revisit things.
    I don't see that 8-year period as any different from any other recent 8-year period. Hell, I might have said something along those lines in 2004 about something that came out in 1996 when I was younger and knew less about what was up, what was around, what was available and how to get at it. Folks have been saying that forever; it's about them personally, not about the external world.

Also while I would agree that there is more content available now and that the average is likely better than before I would also say there is still a lot of shit that isn't worth considering and there's probably just as much great stuff as ever.

Primer may very well be something that requires that. I just don't know that I cared about it enough to make the time for it in the near future.
    This is something else entirely. There being a lot of great stuff out there means we can focus on what we want and if you didn't like it enough to think about it more and give it another close viewing that's reasonable. But the reason you're not doing that is that you don't like it enough and not that this is a new era and film should be made differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Thing is, back in 2004 I understand something being made that required multiple viewings to fully grasp or whatever. There are several different films that come to mind in that regard. But, like it or not, things have changed a lot since then. Between music, television, and film, these days we are so constantly bombarded from all angles (with higher quality content than before imho) that it's a lot harder for the consumer to find time to revisit things. Primer may very well be something that requires that. I just don't know that I cared about it enough to make the time for it in the near future.
    I love it when an artist gives presents to an audience a work that keeps giving to a fan the more they revisit the subject. I don't think it works for everything and it is always better to have an easy to digest surface layer for the masses but it ultimately comes down to the viewers choice to keep diving into it or not.

A film like the Notebook keeps getting rewatches from people but surely no one learns anything new from it each time, they just enjoy it enough to keep going back.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    Where can I go to find out about LA screenings so I don't miss them? Is there a blog or RSS feed that posts them?
    It's a little late now, you can just keep your eyes open for studio screenings of films, basically until the Oscars there will screenings all over LA. Check the Variety website and LA Times website. Also, go by major studio websites ie Paramount/Sony - search for the phrase "For your consideration"

Quote Originally Posted by atom heart View Post
    It's been a lot of fun so far (except for when we tried watching the Samurai Trilogy)

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    This site aggregates all public screenings (i.e., not guild or other exclusive groups):
    www.moviesinla.org
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

The three 50's films about Mushashi Miyamoto, the legendary swordsman? They're rather generically called the Samurai Trilogy. Do you know it? Because gooooood lord I could not watch it. They're all based off a novel and the films seem to take scenes from it and present them with no connective tissue, edited together in a disorienting mash. The second film even has explanations of what's going on mixed into the subtitles. On top of that Mushashi is a crazy douchebag who's too good at kiling people. He basically kills people at random for getting in his way, without even using a steel blade. He fucking bludgeons people to death. Once I figured out the what the overall story was (crazy fucked up man learns to NOT KILL PEOPLE, becomes Zen master) I gave up watching it.

Samurai II was kind of worth watching for this shot though:

Yeah, this is not some kind of modern phenomenon. I can't think of many great films of any era that don't demand multiple viewings, whether it's Sunrise or Primer or The Master. I thought Primer was amazing both times I've seen it and I would happily watch it anytime I got the chance.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

i've probably watched Primer 6 or 7 times... and not because it is some impenetrable mystery (i think two viewings are probably all you need to put the pieces together), but because it is just really damn fun and unlike anything else out there in terms of its dynamics and pacing. can't wait for his new one.

Yesterday I watched Killing Them Softly. It was OK, there are a handful of great scenes, but a few of the talky dialogue sequences got me bored. Also, I had a hard time keeping track of who was who. I loved the opening credits sequence. Maybe I need to watch it again.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Folks have been saying that forever; it's about them personally, not about the external world.
    This is true. I thought about it again today (and while being much more sober haha) and that's definitely the case.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Klaus Kinski allowing himself to be humiliated for a role in 'Woyzeck', then delivering the end all murder scene on his wife. It's hard to recommend this film as it is not to.

It's difficult for me to imagine many people liking The Color Wheel as much as I did. It's one of the more abrasive comedies in recent memory, mining some of the nastiest sentiments imaginable for increasingly bruising laughs....and yet it ultimately involves into a somewhat devastating study of intimacy. I don't know how to describe it further without fucking up the experience, but if you have Amazon Instant Video or iTunes synched to your TV, I would highly recommend this one. I'm pissed I didn't see this 16mm gem on film when it played the Downtown Indie last summer.