Page 934 of 1034 FirstFirst ... 929930931932933934935936937938939 ... LastLast
Results 27,991 to 28,020 of 30998

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I saw Holy Motors last... This is a really great art flick yet you must remember there isn't a moral or solution or anything your going as a relief to get out of the conclusion.
    I loved it, thanks.

I did take something away from it, even if it wasn't exactly a moral. Actors have a psychological tie to their work. It must be very draining to be very good at acting. If you're not careful.. it must fuck you up pretty bad too.

That is more of a assumtion but whatever .I'll post what questions and assumtions I got from the movie when I get on a computer so i can not spoil the movie for other people.
    Translation

Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15

Last.fm

Ate some paper and decided to have a Netflix night marathon. Saw some really good movies and some corny ones.

First up was Superfly, found out a buddy's dad directed it and it was a great flashback to early "urban" cinema. The language and over the top characters made it even better. The final fight sequence looked horrendous but Priest' wits do earn the title of the movie. Slow paced and oddly shot at some parts, this till wasn't the "worst" film of the night.

Superfly led into a suggestion for "Paid In Full", I was distracted with work, dinner and girlfriend on phone for the first few scenes, until the murder of Ace's connect made me tell my girlfriend I had to get off the phone and watch this movie. It had me gripped the whole time. The harsh realities shown in the Harlem drug game are ghastly, makes you appreciate being a surburb youth. Anyone who likes a hood hustle movie would love this .

Next was a movie I'd recommend to my. Christian grandmother: Gerard Butler is "Machine Gun Priest". The storyline, progression, dialogue and even the cinematography feel like an extended Sally Struthers commercial, mixed in with sole good Ol fashion American violence. Basicslly an ex con drug dealing addict finds Jesus and then starts Helping kids in Africa, eventually to the extent of fighting Rebels and destroying the evil the is Kony. It's based On a true story and the purpose of the main character is a Good one, I just felt like I left a church season after the movie was over. Also George Mueller/ Van Walder plays the lovable heroin addict Donnie. Spoiler: He dies and Jesus didn't save him.

Next was a movie that makes you remember what falling in love is like, deep love: "Like Crazy" is a film written and directed by a friend of mine. It's the third feature he and his partner Drake have created together and it won Grand Jury Award at Sundance in 2011 (basically best pic) and was picked up immediately by Paramount Vantage. Watching the movie, I just wanted to ask so many questions about budget, actor chemistry and it was really refreshing to see my friends humor and dialogue flow seamlessly on the screen between Anton and the British gal (I'll fix that later). Anyone feeling lonely or distant from a partner should watch this with them. The book of love created for Anton characters was just deep and it really brought out te importance and sincerity of hand written notes and gifts that have meaning rather than just value. I never had time to see it on the big screen and I do regret that as its refreshing to see peers soaring. Watch this.

Finally the paper was well over, and I thre on some crap horror movie shot at one location and using pathetic digital fx. "Hidden" is another formula horror movie that encourages me that even with minimal effort I can create a PR Teo quality film and somehow make a profit. Getting on that one this week.

Like Crazy and Paid in Full were my two "must sees" out of this night of netflix

I highly recommend watching both "Monterey Pop" and "Gimme Shelter"... you could even make a fun double feature out of it!
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    2012 is the year of shitty movies with guys riding around in limos. First Holy Motors, now Cosmopolis. Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Was not a fan of Holy Motors. Granted I was tired from not being able to get into the Amour screening yesterday, then having to waiting for Motors to start an hour & a half late. It was a trouble keeping focus on the film. However, I think I saw enough of it to believe I don't really need to give it another chance. Did not live up to the hype.
    I'm super bummed to say that I basically fall in this category as well. I was maybe a little less hostile to Holy Motors than Chris and Joe were - I mean, I feel like I understood and admired some of what this film is after, both in a larger thematic sense (it's definitely, at some level, about the experience of acting) and in some subtler details. But I think a movie that so severely fucks with all notions of law and order has to turn you on in some visceral, primal way, if you're going to really roll with it....and this one left me ice cold. I liked many of the visual flourishes, but there was virtually nothing in this film that transmitted its ample enthusiasm and liberation of spirit in a way that I could connect with. That said, I agree with Zack that basically anyone who cares about cinema should at least give it a shot.

I've seen 7 interesting movies since Post Tenebras Lux (a great example of a self-legislative movie that totally consumed me with its emotional and intellectual weight) and haven't really loved any of them. I'm starting to worry that this might become a long-term problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Skyfall was aiight

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I've seen 7 interesting movies since Post Tenebras Lux (a great example of a self-legislative movie that totally consumed me with its emotional and intellectual weight) and haven't really loved any of them. I'm starting to worry that this might become a long-term problem.
    I just went back and counted, and I've seen 8 interesting movies since PTL, but definitely haven't loved any of them either. I did just start watching Assayas' Carlos last night though, the first part was really good. And note to all future filmmakers: opening any film (or in this case, miniseries) with a song like The Feelies' "Loveless Love" is one of the best ways possible to hook the viewer and have him/her on your side right off the fucking bat. That was so great.
    12/04 - Angel Olson - El Rey (?)
    12/06 - Dr. John - Royce Hall (?)
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/20 - Stevie Wonder - Forum (?)
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Carlos is amazing. The OPEC scene and all the stuff on the airplane is spectacular
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Joe, did you see Something in the Air? As a long-time Assayas guy, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
    Yes. I did catch this at AFI. I really liked it, but it wasn't my favorite by Assayas. Part of what I love about Assayas is how natural and real he makes his films/characters seem. There's something about the natural state and mood of his films that make them easy for me to warm up to. I'd like to go back and watch Something in the Air as it's now been a few weeks since I've seen it & to be honest I can't say enough has stayed with me to give it a proper review right now. I do know I admired the film on a certain level. I believe it was a nice love letter to Assayas' own coming of and how he came to love film. I'm not so sure there needed to be depth to the political story as I felt it was more about youth wanting to make an everlasting mark in the world without fully understanding why or how. I may be off on that insight, but I found the message of the film to be inspiring in a way that it made me want to get off my lazy ass, grab a camera and get out there to make something meaningful.

I wouldn't give up on Assayas there though. You need to give Irma Vep a shot and then maybe Demonlover, Clean, Summer Hours and Carlos.

As for Holy Motors, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that didn't love it.

I was recommended Irma Vep by a friend who is big into Assayas, it's sitting here at home from Netflix for when Carlos is done. Really excited to check it out.
    12/04 - Angel Olson - El Rey (?)
    12/06 - Dr. John - Royce Hall (?)
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/20 - Stevie Wonder - Forum (?)
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Silver Linings was great

I want 2 bone Jennifer Lawrence
    That movie was good, but Jennifer Lawrence is obese, way too chub for me.

VigoTheCarpathian

^ virgin

Not since my sophomore year when I drilled the Cheer leading captain on Homecoming when I threw the winning TD.. We would have won state if coach put me in.. And I'm good looking enough where I don't have to bone ugly and chubby girls like all the ones in the post your pic thread.

VigoTheCarpathian

Oh boy do you have some shit in store for you!

VigoTheCarpathian

Good luck

never having given them a thorough, bought the Alien blu ray box for $25 and watched the first two films to enjoyment. Did prefer Alien over Aliens, but haven't taken in III yet as I've heard it's the weak link of the bunch. Maybe tonight as we on a roll, acidic blood roll.

I have shit in store for me? Good luck? You know this is a message board right boy? I think I'll be OK.

VigoTheCarpathian

Riggins, at first I thought you were 15 years old but that just can't be - considering that you'd have been going to coachella since you were 9 - so you must be atleast 21 - and for a 21 year old to think and write the things you dodo: you must have a very low IQ. Now, you're a southpark fan, as you constantly remind us that you are the insufferable ProfChaos jan. 2010 member, and so I'm sure you've seen the episod on what happens to the pretty kids and the ugly kids in adulthood, have you not?
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 11-27-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Hey Vigo, I rewatched that movie with you in it this weekend. Hadn't seen it in years and wanted to see what I thought of it years later. Not as bad as some people have said, the script is good and the characters are entertaining to spend a few more hours with. Fun fact: Pauline Kael liked the sequel more than the first one.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Peter MacNicol is a real treat

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    The panel for this at Comic Con was too fucking sick, can't wait.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015, SDCC 7/9-12/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    That movie was good, but Jennifer Lawrence is obese, way too chub for me.
    Jennifer Lawrence obese? Does anorexia sexually arouse you or something? Jennifer Lawrence is certainly not fat.
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    The panel for this at Comic Con was too fucking sick, can't wait.
    What movie is this for?
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Baltic Tossed Salad

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    What movie is this for?
    Del Torro's Pacific Rim. I got a bit of footage but I ended up forgetting to tag most of my SDCC videos this year including all the Hobbit panel footage I got.

Upcoming shows
    Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events

OOOOO SNAPS midnight screening of Repo Man Jan fourth.

http://www.cinefamily.org/films/heav...ites/#repo-man
    Translation

Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15

Last.fm

If you want to hear what was said about the new Godzilla film here is that:

Upcoming shows
    Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    Baltic Tossed Salad
    Ah shit. This really made me laugh.

I Grandma
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Saw Moonrise Kingdom last night. The hubby always rolls his eyes whenever I watch a Wes Anderson film (he's more of a bland rom-com guy...bless his heart), but he ended up enjoying it as did I. Not my favorite WA film (that would be Fantastic Mr Fox), but the kids we're very likeable and much easier to root for than most other characters in his other films. Glad that their young love was still alive and well at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    11/29 2 Bears @Avalon - 12/5 Flight Facilities @Regent - 12/27 IAMX @Complex - 12/31 IAMX @Slims