Page 927 of 1034 FirstFirst ... 922923924925926927928929930931932 ... LastLast
Results 27,781 to 27,810 of 30998

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

I just saw Argo as well. I liked it, although after hearing people gush about it on FB all weekend and just this morning hearing that Roger Ebert is predicting it'll win Best Picture, I think I may have made it out to be something more than it was in my head.

And "tension" is the one word that keeps being applied to it, again and again. That last sequence was incredibly tense, but the film didn't seem to have that much of it aside from that.
    12/04 - Angel Olson - El Rey (?)
    12/06 - Dr. John - Royce Hall (?)
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/20 - Stevie Wonder - Forum (?)
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Oh, and I know it's been a bit now, but can I politely ask for wmgaretjax and Down Rodeo reviews of The Master? I was really curious to hear your two takes on the film, and don't remember seeing anything posted.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Now I have to go watch Dracula again. I agree that it is incredibly beautiful throughout, althought the story does not make sense, but I love that dracula/beast and Lucy sex scene. I don't really care for Keanu Reeves in that role.
    I had an ex-girlfriend get extremely angry with me for saying that sex scene was the #1 reason to watch the movie. Turns out her the actress looks just like her sister (who I'd never met).

I stand my ground.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I just saw Argo as well. I liked it, although after hearing people gush about it on FB all weekend and just this morning hearing that Roger Ebert is predicting it'll win Best Picture, I think I may have made it out to be something more than it was in my head.

And "tension" is the one word that keeps being applied to it, again and again. That last sequence was incredibly tense, but the film didn't seem to have that much of it aside from that.
    How does it compare with "Munich" to you? (Assuming you've seen it) I'm a big fan of that film, especially the incredibly tense kidnapping sequence, which felt real as hell.

I'm a big Spielberg fan, though... and Gone Baby Gone was my favorite movie of that year, so I've apparently forgiven Ben for ruining Daredevil and Jack Ryan both.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Woah, that would be incredible with the Arclights. Three movies and you're covered.
    If you guys want to start a MoviePass chain - they claim you'll get an invite faster if your friends sign up. Here's my link: http://movi.ps/QoPOfm

I think I have a couple people signing up already, but I'll use someone else's link if you post it!

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    How does it compare with "Munich" to you? (Assuming you've seen it)
    Much, much easier to follow. That's one of the things the film does best - it avoids the convoluted black hole that so many political thrillers seem to fall into.

I'm pretty sure I knew what was going on almost the entire time.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Munich is a miserable piece of self-important dogshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Argo was fantastic. Dragged a bit in the 2nd act but besides that was totally awesome. Loved Goodman and Cranston's smaller roles and all of the hollywood stuff was really great.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    If you guys want to start a MoviePass chain - they claim you'll get an invite faster if your friends sign up. Here's my link: http://movi.ps/QoPOfm

I think I have a couple people signing up already, but I'll use someone else's link if you post it!
    I added my email address last night and immediatly got an invite email this morning. Maybe they are looking for people in different counties. I'm thinking of doing it as it has 7 or 8 theaters I go to. Arclight is really the only one but I only go to the hollywood one for the special occasion I'd be willing to pay for.

I just came in here to echo the Argo praise. A woman behind me stood up and started applauding when the plane took off while the rest of the theatre took a deep sigh in relief. It was quite funny. Definitely one of the most intense movies I have seen in a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

there's a bootleg of the trailer for the EVIL DEAD remake out there!

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Oh, and I know it's been a bit now, but can I politely ask for wmgaretjax and Down Rodeo reviews of The Master? I was really curious to hear your two takes on the film, and don't remember seeing anything posted.
    Yeah, I was holding off because I wasn't sure how I thought about the film after seeing it and I just forgot to post anything in here about it. Well, I've let it simmer long enough now and it has definitely grown in stature in my mind. I struggled at first with some of the same issues people have brought up already - and I actually felt that the Scientology-ish narrative was undercooked - but now I'm of the opinion that it works perfectly fine with the surrounding social and political atmosphere left in the periphery of the narrative. That allows Anderson to boil down the relationship between Phoenix and Hoffman to an almost abstract examination of male loneliness and the intangible connection between leader and follower. The points that others have made about the characters being two sides of the same coin (Phoenix embodying Hoffman's Id, if you will) are valid, and I think the fantastic performances by both actors make this dynamic fully engrossing.

I definitely want to see it again at some point, probably after the Blu-Ray release. I do appreciate that this is a film that has generated a lot of critical discourse, so it's possible that it's reputation will evolve over time (although most critics seem to regard it highly already). I also know from first-hand accounts that Jared enjoyed the film, but I'll let him elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

I also meant to mention this a while ago, but the Criterion release of The Phantom Carriage has a score by KTL on it. It's dark, drony and completely awesome. The movie is great too.
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

I saw Samsara on Friday and I can't say enough good things about it. Bakara was mentioned a few months back and I gave it a try. I ended up writing up a whole review, but never posted it. Ron Fricke's newest creation is not lacking but very similar to its predecessor. Again, it felt like a visual meditation; a yin and yang if you will, proving how marvelous humans can be, along with the justification we're destructive, consuming creatures. I felt myself scowling and feeling guilty we take so much for granted and adversely consumed with humility and tingling with pride for the wonders our great country holds (geographically speaking). For instance, I knew instantly by the first shadow that I was witnessing a time-lapse of the Delicate Arch in Arches National Park. It was such a warming feeling. I'm strongly recommending watching Samsara while it's still in theaters because it's hard to describe it without being overly vague. These two films are on my "to-buy" list!
    EDIT: flawed at fucking idioms
    Last edited by Originalbob; 10-22-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Originalbob View Post
    we take so much for granite
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Coachella Junkie

I wouldn't suggest taking anything for granite, little lone the triumph of the human spear it.

Hay know, hay know..Dont dreem its over.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

I mean like...don't assume it's set in stone? You know?

Mockery aside, has anybody seen this? I'm on a Jon Ronson kick and the written piece that predated the documentary is fascinating.

Quentin Q&A at the New Beverley tonight for the 20th anniversary screening of Reservoir Dogs. YEEEEEEE.

Also, for The Master fans there are screenprints from the 70mm preview tour on sale here. $40+$10 shipping.
    http://www.dustinstantoncreative.com...c1=merchandise

So Matthew Vaughn is out of making the X-Men: First Class sequel, but they may get Bryan Singer to take his place:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/matth...ure-pas,87964/

My favorite comment left on this article, by "toasterlad":

"Both Singer's X-Men movies are great. And Apt Pupil is good as well.
    Superman Returns is a movie."
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Oh god please no, keep Singer the fuck away from them. They finally rebooted the series and got out of his shitty excuse for a take on the franchise, don't let him ruin it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Coachella Junkie

Universal Pictures has made a deal for The Legend Of Conan, an action film that will star Arnold Schwarzenegger in one of his signature roles as Robert E. Howard’s mythic barbarian. The deal brings Conan and Schwarzenegger back to Universal, which released the first film that launched Schwarzenegger’s movie career back in 1982. Universal has world rights on the film.
    http://movies.yahoo.com/news/arnold-...210752780.html

Conan the aged barbarian.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Spray tan.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Tonight has taught me that Slither is a way underrated horror movie, it is basically like one of the best troma films with a budget and half decent acting. From Dusk til Dawn is also far and away the best vampire movie ever. Now I'm watching Ghosts of Mars, I didn't realize how zany this cast is, Peter Jason, Pam Grier, Jason Statham, and Ice Cube, the music is also credited to John Carpenter and Anthrax \m/
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    From Dusk til Dawn is also far and away the best vampire movie ever.
    Um... Nosferatu??

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    From Dusk til Dawn is also far and away the best vampire movie ever

Cloud Atlas made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    Cloud Atlas made me cry.
    Can't wait to see it.

Against my better judgement I watch The Avengers because I was bored. One of the worst movies I have ever seen.