Page 921 of 1028 FirstFirst ... 916917918919920921922923924925926 ... LastLast
Results 27,601 to 27,630 of 30825

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Yes, hopefully you got to see Samsara in 70mm before it was moved over by The Master. Really refreshing to see two really great films two weeks in a row after seeing all the crap that was released this year. Last thing I saw was Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. That movie proves if you can just do bullet time for 40% of a movie, you can get a studio to buy/sponsor it.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Oh wow, bummer for everyone else not in NYC or LA. LA people connected in the industry through unions: There are screenings of it right now in 70mm. So you don't even have to pay to see it.
    Well, but only a bummer for one more day. Oakland, Seattle, Austin, Boston, DC and Toronto get it tomorrow, and I know Chicago is trying to bring it back to the Music Box later in the winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Yes, hopefully you got to see Samsara in 70mm before it was moved over by The Master.
    I saw the screening they had at USC. Are you sure it was in 70mm? I thought it was just regular 35mm in the Dome.
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'm pretty certain Samsara was shot in 65mm (same as The Master) but only distributed digitally.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Ah, ok. Thanks.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Speaking of 70mm, looks like the Egyptian Theatre will be screening Ghostbusters in the format on October 26th and 27th.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Think I'll be doing Regency South Coast Village 3 a few times next month. The Master, Casablanca (if I can find the right date), The Shining.

The Perks of Being A Wallflower is a rare example of an author maintaining complete control over the adaptation of his work and bringing a story written 15 years ago into a new medium. The only compromise made, which he spoke about during the q&a, was to reach a PG-13 rating so that all of the book's fan base would be able to view it but I dont see it causing the film any fault. As a huge fan and supporter of the book for many years I was not only moved to see this story come to life in a new-yet-still effective way but to hear this first time filmmaker be so positively changed by his experience making it apposed to the horror stories you usually hear in these situations. Perhaps a bit "young" for some of this forum's crowd but I couldn't recommend going to see it more.

Showing at the Arclight HW and Landmark for now. The 7:30pm screening tomorrow at the Landmark also has a Q&A following.

Heathers starts on Movie Central in half an hour. God yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Saw the Master in 70MM at Landmark - they went off with the cigarette burns in that film! Some parts felt like it they were dragging their feet, but overall there are two main themes in this movie to really explore: Bromance and Filipinos: Are they really that scary when 3-5 are chasing after you?

Hats off to the set design and art department for the time period, I know PTA loves his accuracy of time periods, the department store model makes one question when that job was dropped for manequins.... I'll definitely want to watch this again, Joaquin Phoenix is the man, so chaotic, lonely and dim all at the same time. I really felt when he was near what he desired, the beast within settled down, only to find another reason to lash out at the world. His character and the rest of the cast really reflect PTA's skill as a director. Amy Adams' performance is one that many may overlook, but I felt every time she had a moment on screen she gave a portion to the rest of the cast, but when she had her moment, she fucking made it known. The bathroom HJ with PSH. That's a fucking wife.

I know I'm not the only one who enjoys having a director like this apart of our generation. Definitely a film maker who gives his audience some material to digest.
    Just watched The Master tonight. Without too many spoilers - I agree with Roger Ebert's 2.5 star review. I'm not sure the film was effective for what it was trying to be... because I don't know what it was trying to be. There are so many competing themes - and some of them are PTA standards (SEX! People are crazy when it comes to jizz!) that I'm not sure the end result was anything greater than an interesting night at the movies.

The performances were all fantastic - more on that in a second. The sets and costumes and stuff were great. It looked terrific. I wasn't enamored with the Jonny Greenwood score - at times it was incredibly spare while other times it felt like the sounds were just banging me for no reason.

Getting back to the performances... Joaquin is insane. He obviously sold out completely in this role, and I don't understand his decision to go all McFly with his character's posture, but there's a point where crafting a character so completely overwhelms what story the character is trying to tell. I wasn't sure how much of his character's motivation was personal loathing, mental incompetence, alcoholism, etc... and his anarchist lean just made me kind of wary of caring about the character too much. It was tough, and he didn't have a big wind-up like the similar Daniel Day Lewis weirdo in "There Will Be Blood" - no big "I drink your milkshake!" to act as the tentpole for his weirdness. So it was great to watch the acting job Phoenix did... but I'm still not sure what and why and huh?

Before you attack me for being a hater, I'm a huge PTA fan. I was totally stoked for this movie, I'm just not certain it's effective as anything past being a night at the pictures. I can't imagine going back to it like I have Magnolia or Boogie Nights, movies that are a little more traditional in a storytelling sense (all raining frogs aside). I recommend the film, but it's as an interesting experience more than a great film. I wonder what the Oscar folks will do with it.

*Edit and spoilers* My wife is convincing me that the movie completely works, so I might have to retract my above statements to some degree. Her argument is that all the side issues (insanity, drinking, sex) are just tied into the animal nature of PSH's Master character. He's drawn to JP's character because he wants to conquer his own animal urges, and in the end he simply accepts that he can't - instead of hating his animal side, he embraces it and separates himself from it. In retrospect it's pretty blatant, and maybe I got too caught up in the performances and the cinematography to see it... which kind of proves my point that the great acting overwhelms the story for me.

So maybe it is a great film and I was just being obtuse. This is why it sucks to be a movie critic - it's watch one, then on to the next one... no time to reflect and internalize and figure out what the movie was really trying to say to you if it's not inherently obvious. Ebert might reflect later and find that he missed the point... like the entire group of folks I saw "The Big Lebowski" with in the theater. Like 6 confused people who thought it was terrible. (Not me)
    Last edited by TomServo; 09-22-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Her argument is that all the side issues (insanity, drinking, sex) are just tied into the animal nature of PSH's Master character. He's drawn to JP's character because he wants to conquer his own animal urges, and in the end he simply accepts that he can't - instead of hating his animal side, he embraces it and separates himself from it.
    I dunno...what I took away from the film was a general feeling of being very impressed by how PTA captured the needs and requirements that made the PSH-JP relationship work. In Lancaster, Freddy found someone who accepted him for who he is, who didn't give him too much of a hard time for being an idiot, for being compulsive, for his drinking. And in return, Freddy provided for Lancaster a friend who went along with him and didn't ask questions, and certainly didn't throw out big accusations that so many others did in the film. At the end of the day, when you think about it, the really interesting thing here is that Freddy didn't give two flying fucks about the religion/ideology of it all, he couldn't have cared less. He found acceptance, and that was enough for him, and because of this he was willing to defend Dodd and stand up for him unconditionally, as we saw several times throughout the film.

The animal urges aspect could have blatantly been there, but that's not what I got out of it after an initial viewing.
    Last edited by TallGuyCM; 09-23-2012 at 12:01 AM.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Just watched The Master tonight. Without too many spoilers - I agree with Roger Ebert's 2.5 star review. I'm not sure the film was effective for what it was trying to be... because I don't know what it was trying to be. There are so many competing themes - and some of them are PTA standards (SEX! People are crazy when it comes to jizz!) that I'm not sure the end result was anything greater than an interesting night at the movies.

The performances were all fantastic - more on that in a second. The sets and costumes and stuff were great. It looked terrific. I wasn't enamored with the Jonny Greenwood score - at times it was incredibly spare while other times it felt like the sounds were just banging me for no reason.

Getting back to the performances... Joaquin is insane. He obviously sold out completely in this role, and I don't understand his decision to go all McFly with his character's posture, but there's a point where crafting a character so completely overwhelms what story the character is trying to tell. I wasn't sure how much of his character's motivation was personal loathing, mental incompetence, alcoholism, etc... and his anarchist lean just made me kind of wary of caring about the character too much. It was tough, and he didn't have a big wind-up like the similar Daniel Day Lewis weirdo in "There Will Be Blood" - no big "I drink your milkshake!" to act as the tentpole for his weirdness. So it was great to watch the acting job Phoenix did... but I'm still not sure what and why and huh?

Before you attack me for being a hater, I'm a huge PTA fan. I was totally stoked for this movie, I'm just not certain it's effective as anything past being a night at the pictures. I can't imagine going back to it like I have Magnolia or Boogie Nights, movies that are a little more traditional in a storytelling sense (all raining frogs aside). I recommend the film, but it's as an interesting experience more than a great film. I wonder what the Oscar folks will do with it.

*Edit and spoilers* My wife is convincing me that the movie completely works, so I might have to retract my above statements to some degree. Her argument is that all the side issues (insanity, drinking, sex) are just tied into the animal nature of PSH's Master character. He's drawn to JP's character because he wants to conquer his own animal urges, and in the end he simply accepts that he can't - instead of hating his animal side, he embraces it and separates himself from it. In retrospect it's pretty blatant, and maybe I got too caught up in the performances and the cinematography to see it... which kind of proves my point that the great acting overwhelms the story for me.

So maybe it is a great film and I was just being obtuse. This is why it sucks to be a movie critic - it's watch one, then on to the next one... no time to reflect and internalize and figure out what the movie was really trying to say to you if it's not inherently obvious. Ebert might reflect later and find that he missed the point... like the entire group of folks I saw "The Big Lebowski" with in the theater. Like 6 confused people who thought it was terrible. (Not me)
    Listen to your wife. Mine also got a bit more out of it on first viewing than I did.

I'm going to keep repeating it - it's okay to not love this immediately. Just don't give up on it, especially if you generally like PTA.

Criterion-
    For only twenty-four hours, until noon tomorrow, all in-stock Blu-rays and DVDs will be 50% off the suggested retail price (SRP). Just enter the promotional code FLASH on your shopping cart page at Criterion.com to apply the discount.

OOooooh I like that. Any suggestions? I've got Paris, Texas, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Schizopolis, and Cronos in my cart based off of searching the website for a little.

Ahhh too many to choose from!

La Strada is a favorite I was shown back in college, a tale of a woman sold to a traveling side show brute. 120 Days of Sodom looks very interesting (Marquee de Sade stuff), the trailer for it, although corny and old, had some of the more provocative scenes I've seen in a while.

Of course if you haven't seen Being John Malkovich, Dazed and Confused or Fear and Loathing (Sold out in Blu-ray ) I would recommend those also for more contemporary films.

House perked my interest too, the cheesy horror effects kinda got me. Plus how its described as a "psychedelic ghost tale"
    Last edited by Mugwog; 09-24-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Oh God this is not good, my wallet can't take much more.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Salo is horrid. I bought it because I was really interested in seeing it, and it's just depraved and pitiless. I don't know that I'd recommend watching it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Is it just a montage of evil?

Quote Originally Posted by cansei de ser sexme View Post
    OOooooh I like that. Any suggestions? I've got Paris, Texas, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Schizopolis, and Cronos in my cart based off of searching the website for a little.
    Three Colors Trilogy for $40~ is a steal. I got Harold & Maude and Quadrophenia that both recently came out this year as well. Cronos is pretty sweet! Have not seen that in a while.

Salo/120 Days is definitely in the category of movies to never watch again for me, let alone own.

Thinking about picking up Repulsion, Contempt, Breathless, all the Wes Anderson shit, and the Thin Red Line.

Solaris and Andrei Rublev are both incredible, and M is one of the most fascinating and intense stories about a serial killer ever. It will blow your mind that it was one of the early talking films. Others that I have that I really love are Unfaithfully Yours (a darkly hilarious movie about a man who suspects his wife is cheating on him by Preston Sturges, one of the great comedy directors of all time) The Third Man (Orson Welles acting crazed in Vienna, written by Graeme Greene, directed by Carol Reed and much funnier than it should be due to the ridiculous and captivating score) and The Rules of the Game (Renoir's classic tale of aristocratic absurdity that is frequently mentioned as one of the best movies ever made. "Would you like my rabbit?")

They need to reissue Alphaville. Probably my favorite Godard, a huge shame it's out of print.

Fuck me, The Friends of Eddie Coyle and House of Games... Ugh.

Is it just a montage of evil?
    Yeah, pretty much. There are three stages: the rape stage, the stage where they engage in consumption of bodily fluids and the torture/mutilation/death stage. That's the whole movie, with stories and lots of twisted shit to flesh it out.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

House perked my interest too, the cheesy horror effects kinda got me. Plus how its described as a "psychedelic ghost tale"
    Assuming this is the Japanese one, YES. it's amazing. the Criterion disc has some great special features too. The director is a wacko and the history behind the movie is pretty fascinating.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Which Godard should I get? I loved Contempt and Breathless.

House Of Games is one of the most awkward things I've ever seen.

Absolutely essential Criterions (aside from what's already been mentioned): 8 1/2, Grey Gardens, Videodrome, Seven Samurai, Do The Right Thing, Brazil, Withnail & I, Carnival Of Souls, The Exterminating Angel, The Ruling Class, George Washington, Down By Law, Man Bites Dog, By Brakhage, Naked Lunch, 3 Women, Branded To Kill, Naked, Chungking Express, Science Is Fiction, Last Year At Marienbad. I also second Paris, Texas, Schizopolis, Fear & Loathing, John Malkovich, House, Repulsion, The Third Man, M, and the Rules Of The Game.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Which Godard should I get? I loved Contempt and Breathless.
    Band of Outsiders

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Breathless would be my recommendation.

This would be a good time to get the America Lost And Found: The BBS Story box set. I have been wanting to get it after reading Easy Riders, Raging Bulls.

Also tempted by Belle De Jour, Carlos, The War Room, and the Phantom Carriage.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Looks like Geologist from Animal Collective was rocking a "House" t shirt at the Hollywood Bowl last night. It is in the Criterion collection if anyone is interested.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Yeah, I was just looking at that like 10 minutes ago, only up to XL and they "run small". Buying clothes as a big boy fucking sucks.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.