Page 918 of 1026 FirstFirst ... 913914915916917918919920921922923 ... LastLast
Results 27,511 to 27,540 of 30774

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

I watched La Cara Oculta. Spanish film set in Colombia; good suspense flick about a girl trapped inside a house watching her boyfriend (who thinks he's an ex-boyfriend) go on with his life. Ultimately the 3 main characters end up being terrible and selfish but at least they're all very easy on the eyes.

The thing that stood out for me is that the english subtitles were VERY well done. I can't remember a film in spanish i've watched where the english subtitles weren't completely butchered translations.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex

Been binging on movies and tv shows while I'm sick.

Xanadu: about as awful as I expected, and not really in that over the top way that makes it entertaining, save for a scene or two. The Apple still remains the quintessential disco musical camp fest.

Bad Timing
    : I feel like Nicholas Roeg films are always at least a little bit questionable, and this one is more than just a little, and not just because of the excessive screen time dedicated to Art Garfunkel's ass (really, any at all is excessive). It's like the sex scene from Don't Look Now stretched out to a feature. The film seemed to have some interesting things to say about sexual obsession, co-dependent sadomasochistic relationships, emotional insecurity, and so on, but in the end, I don't think it really worked. I had a hard time buying into Garfunkel and Theresa Russell as a couple who burned so brightly for each other that it was bound to turn destructive. Russell does the best she can but Garfunkel is such a non-presence that when she goes off the deep end over him, it seems more like arty nerdy white boy wish fulfillment than a plausible exploration of toxic love. Also, whatever the hell was going on with Harvey Keitel's detective character in relation to Garfunkel's character wasn't developed enough to make any fucking sense. Most everything worth recommending this has been done better in other Roeg films I feel like (the cross cutting and other stylistic flourishes). It's not terrible, but it falls far short of its aims in my opinion.

Arthur: Not sure why, but I felt an urge to re-watch this, guess I wanted something light and entertaining and not too excessively bad, and it was all of those. For all its cliches, it's still fun to watch Dudley Moore throw off a line of self impressed one liners while pretending to be drunk.

Winter's Bone: This was awesomely bleak. I'm a sucker for harsh realism like this. It was a potent reminder that some parts of this country are still relatively "uncivilized" and working off a wild west mentality. I was impressed with a lot of the details they got right regarding the lives of the working poor. There was definitely a danger of being cartoonish or condescending about these characters, so it was a relief that it didn't ever sink into that.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post

Xanadu: about as awful as I expected, and not really in that over the top way that makes it entertaining, save for a scene or two. The Apple still remains the quintessential disco musical camp fest.
    I adored Xanadu as a kid and still watch it now and then on a lark, some of the scenes are hilarious, PLUS the soundtrack rocks and I know it by heart. All that ELO! I remember reading somewhere in the last couple of years that the producers had to have been doing handstands in mountains of cocaine when it was conceived.

I remember seeing The Apple and also had the soundtrack on LP too, but don't remember the film as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

I love the duet/dance routine with Olivia Newton-John and Gene Kelly in Xanadu. And God all the ELO! It had great music anyway and horrible early 80's outfits. My sister and I used to listen to the soundtrack on cassette for hours as children and dance around the house.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I love the duet/dance routine with Olivia Newton-John and Gene Kelly in Xanadu. And God all the ELO! It had great music anyway and horrible early 80's outfits. My sister and I used to listen to the soundtrack on cassette for hours as children and dance around the house.
    This was pretty much my childhood as well. Remember when they were trying on the outfits and Gene Kelly walked through the door that was two dancers legs that opened up at the top? Awesome!
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I tried to watch Xanadu about a year ago, really expecting it to be fun, and I thought it was just flat out boring. It took a lot of effort to get through that.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Most of the non-music dialogue is pretty boring, I agree. I hate the lead guy -- he's so useless.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Most of the non-music dialogue is pretty boring, I agree. I hate the lead guy -- he's so useless.
    The whole thing is pretty laughable. The lead guy was the main character in The Warriors too. Xanadu certainly didn't help his street cred.

He doesn't have a lot of charisma, but he works really well in The Warriors, which would never have worked if they didn't have a straight man in the middle of all that lunacy. Which reminds me, i am really overdue for a re-watch of The Warriors, i LOVE that movie.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    He doesn't have a lot of charisma, but he works really well in The Warriors, which would never have worked if they didn't have a straight man in the middle of all that lunacy. Which reminds me, i am really overdue for a re-watch of The Warriors, i LOVE that movie.
    "You're just a part of everything that's happening tonight. And it's all bad." CLASSIC

While I can understand your criticisms about Bad Timing, Soul, I still think Theresa Russell gives an extremely underrated performance. It's so tough to really get ahold of what my true feelings on Roeg's films are. I think Walkabout is his masterpiece but after that it's hard to put which one would be my second favorite. Maybe The Man Who Fell to Earth, though I do like Bad Timing.
    Last edited by iv3rdawG; 09-12-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Quote Originally Posted by iv3rdawG View Post
    While I can understand your criticisms about Bad Timing, Soul, I still think Theresa Russell gives an extremely underrated performance. It's so tough to really get ahold of what my true feelings on Roeg's films are. I think Walkabout is his masterpiece but after that it's hard to put which one would be my second favorite. Maybe The Man Who Fell to Earth, though I do like Bad Timing.
    Insignificance was pretty good as well

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Yeah, I liked Insignificance too. I would probably put Don't Look Now ahead of it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Quote Originally Posted by iv3rdawG View Post
    Yes, I think Russell did the best she could with the material given to her. The character is just written so erratically, she goes from offbeat yet charming to suicidal wreck far too quickly. I think Performance might actually be my favorite Roeg film, but only after watching it like five times to get a handle on it. Walkabout probably is his masterpiece, but I still need to give it a re-watch to further absorb it. Don't Look Now is largely pretty great, but it's so hard to take that ending seriously. The Man Who Fell To Earth hardly left an impression on me, so that's probably worth a re-watch as well. The Witches is all kinds of fun.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Coachella Junkie

Fuck Lincoln. Power ballads.

TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

I haven't been this excited for a new film since The Tree of Life last year.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The past few years I've been really behind on my movies, after seeing Samsara last night, it was really refreshing to not see a pile of shit on the big screen. Unfortunately to start the show, we (the theatre) had to listen to a man who was 5lbs past the weight limit for his seat mouth breathe and snore. Fortunately the Dome was pretty much empty on a Wednesday night, so my friend and I were able to snag some seats on the other side of the theatre. The pacing of this film, mixed with the soundtrack make this film experience similar to a sound bath. Seeing the different faces of the world, the poverty and absurdity of some of the places you visit in the film, the criticism of american consumerism...it was all very intense and breathtaking at some moments. I had my mouth open in awe quite a few times, the shots they got... The birds view of Los Angeles' freeway system at night was spectacular. It made this awful city look like a system of wonder.

I think the most interesting thing I took from this film was the part with the processing of chicken, milk and pigs. I've seen plenty of PETA videos and shit on the internet that makes you consider not eating meat, but holy shit, this film really made you think for a second about the stress and terrible order your food goes through before it gets to you. Since you had to sit through the imagery, it definitely took a stronger effect on me. Interesting when compared with seeing a video you can just click X on and curse your friend for sending you. Going with fish and veggies for a while. Thanks a lot Samsara

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Fuck Lincoln. Power ballads.
    Yep. If they play that shit before The Master this weekend, I might walk out.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I'm seeing the Master in the Dome at 1:45 today.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I watched The Deep Blue Sea last night. It's a strange film. i had a really hard time getting involved with it, though it does have some very strong performances in it.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I'm seeing the Master in the Dome at 1:45 today.
    4:45 for me, tomorrow. Giddy.

Day early screening of Perks of Being A Wallflower. Q&A and book signing with the author, writer, and director. Have to b to see this page I believe. https://www.arclightcinemas.com/movi...omo=spotlightD

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    4:45 for me, tomorrow. Giddy.
    The same showing as me! I really should have been more on top of this, and gotten as good of seats as I did for The Dark Knight Rises. Still, it's going to be awesome, and since it's hot as hell today and tomorrow, I will gladly take it.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Damn you LA peeps, gotta wait a week more to see The Master up here.

Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    Damn you LA peeps, gotta wait a week more to see The Master up here.
    You had an announced early screening, and PTA was at the screening, you cannot cry about waiting a week.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    You had an announced early screening, and PTA was at the screening, you cannot cry about waiting a week.
    True but I think that was the night after I drove back up from LA for the Breaking Bad gallery opening so I was too tired.

Plus he introduced "There Will Be Blood" when I saw my first (of many) early screenings of it in San Francisco.

Upcoming shows
    Events

The Master is wild. Unlike There Will Be Blood, I need more time to digest how I feel about it, but it was definitely a big work. I probably want to watch it again before saying anything more.

I will say it's probably the most impressive Phillip Seymour Hoffman performance I've seen, and Synechdoche, NY is amongst my favorite films ever.

Absolutely. I knew Phoenix would be stellar, but PSH was just flawless. The best role I've ever seen him in. And yeah, a lot to process. Jonny's score was incredible once again.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Overall, I had very high expectations, and they were met. Not necessarily exceeded, but definitely met.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare