Page 917 of 1027 FirstFirst ... 912913914915916917918919920921922 ... LastLast
Results 27,481 to 27,510 of 30801

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

why the holy hell would i care if they found love? just because i think it's a motivating factor for walt on breaking bad, which is somewhat proven by the fact that he won't leave skylar? and i knew it was going to be a long, artsy movie, i just didn't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    premium rush was a fun popcorn/sneaking in captn morgan movie.
    I couldn't enjoy this movie even if I was blitzed out of my mind... Maybe we watched different movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    I couldn't enjoy this movie even if I was blitzed out of my mind... Maybe we watched different movies.
    ha, yeah it wasn't anything special, but for a last-minute trip to the movies suggested by someone else with some spiked soda, i enjoyed it. moreso for the bike riding; i have a lot of friends that are super serious about it which made that whole "FIXIE OR DIE" thing funny to me.

*edit* plus compared to the other horrible sci-fi/action movies my date makes me watch, this was funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

horrible sci-fi
    An oxymoron.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

horrible sci-fi
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    An oxymoron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Face!

I don't consider that sci-fi.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Ugh man the ambassador was fucking boring.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

i can't believe i lost over two hours of my life watching the tree of life. fucking dinosaurs?!?! constant whispering?! it was pretty, but jesus christ was i bored. i'm obviously not smart enough to get it or something.

premium rush was a fun popcorn/sneaking in captn morgan movie.
    I watched this for the first time yesterday!
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I enjoyed Tree of Life. I think you have to be more patient and open to what the filmmaker is doing -- a lot of it plays out like some sort of nostalgic dream the lead character is having about his childhood, his family, and his place in the universe.
    I don't like to comment on other viewers' experiences affecting their appreciation of a movie, but having lost my mother a couple years ago (who raised me with an absentee dad) I really connected with the film as a remembrance of the struggles to understand what life gives us and takes away from us, all while trying to figure out our place in all of it.

I realize that sounds like horse crap, but I would've probably fallen asleep or turned it off a few years ago. Watching it today I was transfixed and annoyed when my attention was taken away from it (saw it at home, not in the theater). But I'm not aching to watch it again.

And for the record, Alien3 still bored me to tears (but I didn't fall asleep this time). Some of it was just awful and ham-handed... Fincher was in way over his head and it showed. It didn't move the mythology forward an inch, and wasn't nearly as scary as Alien or as crisp as its sequel. What a letdown from Aliens, my favorite film through my high school years. At least Alien 4 was bad, so it's not alone in the cellar. And I loooove Fincher.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

People's personal memories can certainly affect how people view films.

For example, I cite my own experience being the oldest of 3 brothers and having a rocky relationship with my father as having quite an impact in why Darjeeling Limited was one of my favorite Wes Anderson movies immediately, when it turned out to be a lot of people's least favorite movies of his.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I love that movie, am the oldest of three, and have up and downs with my dad (who doesn't). word

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

I loved Alien3 but it was probably because when I first saw it I was living on an all male prison planet
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

That was very courageous of you to come out and say that malc. I'm proud of you.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    I love that movie, am the oldest of three, and have up and downs with my dad (who doesn't). word
    I love the movie, am the oldest of three brothers as well, I've always gotten along well with pops though. What does that mean?
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Uh, wow. I watched The Cabin in the Woods tonight. Not at all what I was expecting. I was expecting a typical horror flick, but that was so batshit, so incredibly creative. I loved it.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Uh, wow. I watched The Cabin in the Woods tonight. Not at all what I was expecting. I was expecting a typical horror flick, but that was so batshit, so incredibly creative. I loved it.
    Somewhere in Arizona, Pearry Reginald Teo takes a break from visiting his children to shake his head in disapproval.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

I saw a screening of The Inbetweeners last night, followed by a Q&A with series' co-creator Iain Morris and James Buckley, who plays Jay. It's dumb and vulgar and pretty funny, and if you're a fan of the original British series (which I am) it's definitely a natural extension. Like the series, the film has surprisingly genuine moments of humanity and warmth amid all the jokes about fanny and clunge. Plus I got a free "Pussay Patrol" t-shirt which I will likely never be able to wear in public. I believe there are also screenings with cast members tonight in New York, Boston and Los Angeles.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    Somewhere in Arizona, Pearry Reginald Teo takes a break from visiting his children to shake his head in disapproval.
    I was hoping the head shake occurred in mid-climax with Bai Ling.

I've seen several films lately so I'll run through them quickly.

Nicholas Ray's We Can't Go Home Again played at USC last week, and for me it was one of those rare movies (like 2001, Satantango, Weekend, and a few others) that seriously impacted the way I view cinema as an artform. The shortest way I can explain the film's existence is: after Ray's Hollywood career had effectively been over for a decade, he resurfaced as a professor at a small state college in Upstate New York where he spent two years shooting home movie footage that poetically reinterprets his students' lives and his interaction with them, and then he assembled it into a feature in which the majority of the runtime features 3-5 shots playing at the same time. Oscilloscope is releasing this long-lost masterwork alongside a documentary by Ray's widow about its making, which happened to play first at my screening; as I watched the doc, I became increasingly uncertain as to how the feature would play. But like the best experimental films, its formal inventiveness is not only exhilarating but also vital to expressing its themes; it quickly becomes apparent that the assault of images and overlapping soundtracks is designed to evoke the mental state of people at the most confusing, vulnerable and mind-expanding stage of life - and also during one of the most turbulent junctures in American history. I can't overstate how much I loved this film, and how passionately I implore you to seek it out when OScope eventually releases it. My one tip - don't watch the doc first. I felt cheated on some very powerful moments that were explained at length there, although the impact is relative.

Sleepwalk With Me was an excellent little autobiographical comedy. I wasn't an enormous Mike Birbiglia fan coming in, but I left with a deeper appreciation of his comic stylings. He also has some basic narrative instincts that I wish a lot of other comic filmmakers would pay attention to.

Cosmopolis was mostly enjoyable as far as it went. Pattinson's work was the sort of thing that fit this film well, but also convinced me that he basically has negative talent as a screen actor. Much of the dialogue was delicious, although it felt like it was probably imported directly from the novel (which I have not read). I don't know why I've been so devoted to seeing new Cronenberg films (most of which I haven't been totally on board with) when I've seen so few of his older ones (basically nothing prior to Naked Lunch).

I think I already talked about Compliance in here. I was bummed I didn't make it to Cinefamily for The Ambassador, so I guess I have to slum it with VOD one of these days. I plan on seeing Red Hook Summer this coming week. And I will be seeing The Master in the Dome on Saturday night - obviously the film event of the year for me. I've done a fine job of staying away from reviews/Tweets on that one so far. To the Wonder, also, though it's only been out there for a week. I have impossibly high hopes for AFI this year.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I don't know why I've been so devoted to seeing new Cronenberg films (most of which I haven't been totally on board with) when I've seen so few of his older ones (basically nothing prior to Naked Lunch).
    Yeah, what the fuck Gabe? Those early Cronenberg films, especially Dead Ringers, Scannners and Videodrome, are just out of this world good.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I'm glad to hear you liked Sleepwalk With Me. I still haven't seen the movie, but I enjoyed the book and the preceding radio stories/stage show and I find Mike Birbiglia to be extremely endearing, both in terms of his lighter comic work and his somewhat darker storytelling - I guess SWM falls somewhere in between? - Either way, I think it's a fantastically interesting and tragic window into comedy. Or a fantastically interesting and comic window into tragedy. Take your pick.

Yeah, what the fuck Gabe? Those early Cronenberg films, especially Dead Ringers, Scannners and Videodrome, are just out of this world good.
    Yes, also his remake of The Fly is one of my favorite films ever. Won an Oscar for Best Makeup too I believe.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

There isn't really a thread for this sort of thing, but if you are a fan of Mark Haddon's book The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Britain's National Theatre is currently presenting the world premiere theatrical adaptation. And in September you can see the filmed version in cinemas across the world. They've been doing this for a few years. I was skeptical about these kinds of presentations until I saw my first one last year. These aren't just stage plays filmed from the back of the house, but really carefully and artfully shot cinematic broadcasts of live stage productions. Nothing can replace being there in the theatre, but this is as close as it gets. In LA they're screening Curious several times in September. They're also doing an encore run of the very popular Danny Boyle production of Frankenstein with Benedict Cumberbatch and Johnny Lee Miller alternating the lead roles.

Coachella Junkie

Uuuuh yeah. Wow.And like zircona, I'm a huuuuge fan of The Fly.
    last.fm

I, for some reason, thought The Fly came out after Naked Lunch and thus may have been viewed by Gabe. I'm wrong it seems, but agreed. The Fly was the first Cronenberg I ever saw, and one of the first horror films I ever watched as a kid. My dad loved it and showed it to me when I was 8 or 9, and it freaked me out in such a great way. Definitely either that or Arachnophobia for my first horror film.

I also saw it when i was really young...probably on HBO after the initial theatrical run. The birthing nightmare in particular is still an image that terrifies me. I still need to see Rabid, The Brood, The Dead Zone, and M. Butterfly.
    last.fm

Same on all four.

Just watched My Week With Marilyn - what a charming little movie! Michelle Williams was marvelous, as was the entire supporting cast. Really nice.
    last.fm

I watched Melancholia the other night and can't get it off my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.