Page 916 of 1027 FirstFirst ... 911912913914915916917918919920921 ... LastLast
Results 27,451 to 27,480 of 30805

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

I guess I need to follow better people on twitter. I'm going Saturday 15th at 4:45pm. Got a dead center seat and am really excited since the other time I went to the dome I was off too the side and it was not as pleasant as I had heard it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    Samsara was pretty incredible. This won't surprise anyone but it's possibly the most visually amazing film I've seen in a theater, and that's due to some unbelievably crisp digital transferring they were able to do from 70mm. As for the merits of the film, it really treads much of the same ground that Baraka did, but does a really good job of exploring its themes and establishing a rhythm through editing. There are a couple ham-fisted moments but some really wonderful ones too. I don't feel like I need to say this but I'll reiterate - go see this if you can, preferably on the finest quality digital projection system possible.
    I saw it last night, and liked it a lot. I have to say though, definitely a substantial drop from Baraka for me. All of the nature/animals/pre-modern civilization shots in Baraka were absolutely stunning, and didn't seem to have an agenda behind them. This felt different. Not only the blatant indictments of modern America (fast food, guns), but just the more current day and age urban/city life focus this one had wasn't nearly as transcendent. It was shot beautifully, and on a technical level it's every bit the marvel that Baraka was. But I don't care what kind of music you play behind it, or what angle you shoot it from, I'm just not going to think much of a hispanic dude covered with tattoos from head to toe clutching an infant or find it appealing in any way.

All that might sound like I didn't like the film, and I did like it quite a bit. It just didn't have nearly the same effect on me that Baraka did a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    So did everyone just jizz themselves to death from getting their tickets for The Master or is no one really talking about the the dome 70mm screenings being onsale at the arclight?
    I got a text yesterday before the Samsara screening when I was up at USC last night and secured row GG tickets for the 8pm showing on opening night on my phone!
    Last edited by TallGuyCM; 08-30-2012 at 06:43 PM.
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Kubrick exhibition at the Eye in Amsterdam was pretty cool. One room dedicated to each movie.

Also, It'll be in LA in Nov.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

One of the reasons it sucks where I live is never getting access to this kind of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I've been very excited for that Kubrick exhibit to get here. Looks great!
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Watched The Raid and Porco Rosso last night. It's amazing how much more i cared about an animated pig and his would-be lover than any of the characters in The Raid. Fight scenes were cool though.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Porco Rosso is my favorite Ghibli movie! So fun.

I'm going to watch The Raid on my day off today.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Cannibal Holocaust. If you are going to venture far away from home and shove yourselves in the native's faces, don't be too obnoxious about it. Or you may get fucked, butchered, and eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    Cannibal Holocaust. If you are going to venture far away from home and shove yourselves in the native's faces, don't be too obnoxious about it. Or you may get fucked, butchered, and eaten.
    The scene with the tortoise. *shudders*
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

lol, friends of mine and I rented that in college. I was pretty intoxicated, don't remember much of it.
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

In the interest of the forum, I'm watching the Alien3 Director's Cut right now.

My wife bullied me into watching "Lawless" yesterday. I immediately perked up when I realized it was the "The Proposition" crew - Nick Cave wrote it and the director was the same director from that earlier film, and Guy Pearce had a juicy role. "The Proposition" is an excellent and unpredictable movie Unfortunately, Lawless is not. Some great visuals and interesting sequences, but pretty much paint-by-numbers story, fueling a whole conversation about the impact Hollywood has had on *everything* - Nick Cave isn't a Hollywood kind of guy, so I'm presuming the source material (a book by the grandson of the protag) was structured like a blockbuster movie.

They packaged Lawless with the trailer for "The Master". It sucks when the movie you want to see from the trailers is so much better than the one you're watching.

I was hoping that wasn't the same Nick Cave, I haven't heard a single good thing about that movie
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Went to John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday night and towards the end, they live scored the last entire last reel of E.T. (from the Escape on the bikes to the end of the film ). They used the brand new HD version that will be on the blu-ray, and for you old schoolers out there, yes, the guns are back in the film - no more walkie talkies held like pistols.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Supposedly they aren't even putting the 2002 version on the Blu-ray, so no need to worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

PTA's next is an adaption of Inherent Vice? interesting.... really, really wish he would take on a more daring Pynchon adaptation, but this is still exciting.

Watched VHS on demand today. Definitely worth the 10 bucks!

Some of it was quite scary!

9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    In the interest of the forum, I'm watching the Alien3 Director's Cut right now.

My wife bullied me into watching "Lawless" yesterday. I immediately perked up when I realized it was the "The Proposition" crew - Nick Cave wrote it and the director was the same director from that earlier film, and Guy Pearce had a juicy role. "The Proposition" is an excellent and unpredictable movie Unfortunately, Lawless is not. Some great visuals and interesting sequences, but pretty much paint-by-numbers story, fueling a whole conversation about the impact Hollywood has had on *everything* - Nick Cave isn't a Hollywood kind of guy, so I'm presuming the source material (a book by the grandson of the protag) was structured like a blockbuster movie.

They packaged Lawless with the trailer for "The Master". It sucks when the movie you want to see from the trailers is so much better than the one you're watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    I was hoping that wasn't the same Nick Cave, I haven't heard a single good thing about that movie
    Jessica Chastain's tits. Boom. /Lawless review
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

Coachella Junkie

Troma have been quietly adding the majority of their catalog to Youtube, so if it's it been too long since you soaked in it here's your fast access to crowd favorites like Killer Condom and Dead Dudes in the House.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Tromamovies

Someone I knew as a teenager loved that fucking movie and I never saw it. Is it good shitty or shitty shitty?
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I'm glad you asked, Patrick. I'm curious too.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i can't believe i lost over two hours of my life watching the tree of life. fucking dinosaurs?!?! constant whispering?! it was pretty, but jesus christ was i bored. i'm obviously not smart enough to get it or something.

premium rush was a fun popcorn/sneaking in captn morgan movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Coachella Junkie

Yeah.

I enjoyed Tree of Life. I think you have to be more patient and open to what the filmmaker is doing -- a lot of it plays out like some sort of nostalgic dream the lead character is having about his childhood, his family, and his place in the universe.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Someone I knew as a teenager loved that fucking movie and I never saw it. Is it good shitty or shitty shitty?
    No idea.

Culture.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I enjoyed Tree of Life. I think you have to be more patient and open to what the filmmaker is doing -- a lot of it plays out like some sort of nostalgic dream the lead character is having about his childhood, his family, and his place in the universe.
    The Day amyzzz Was Right.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

that makes sense, i think i just don't have the patience for that sort of thing. especially all the over-idealized shots of the mother. some very pretty shots of space though!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Coachella Junkie

But did they find love?

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    that makes sense, i think i just don't have the patience for that sort of thing.
    Did you not know what you were in for going in to it?
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare