Page 915 of 1028 FirstFirst ... 910911912913914915916917918919920 ... LastLast
Results 27,421 to 27,450 of 30838

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    How often to tickets get released for sold out Cinefamily shows? I need to get on their mailing list, i can't believe i'm going to miss a documentary on G.L.O.W. (Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling). Guess i'll post an ad on CL, but any help would be great.
    They just added a second show of this on Tuesday night - 11 pm. Not sure if you can swing this and then drive home to Ontario that night, but just in case...
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

The Master is screening in San Francisco tomorrow night

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/Sal...ventId=4866025
    10/12/14 Gerard Way - the Fillmore
    11/07/14 The Matches - Slim's
    11/08/14 The Matches - Slim's
    11/09/14 Julian Casablancas + the Voidz - Regency Ballroom
    11/17/14 Bastille - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    11/23/14 Sky Ferreira - the Independent

Coachella Junkie

Shut up.

Coachella Junkie

Shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up!

Lucky San Francisco assholes, again.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    They just added a second show of this on Tuesday night - 11 pm. Not sure if you can swing this and then drive home to Ontario that night, but just in case...
    Thank you! My friends and I are going to try to squeeze into the 8pm show. if we don't get in we'll have dinner/drinks in the area then come back at 11. luckily my job is flexible about me coming in late as long as i stay late.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

To be fair, LA had a screening already... granted, it was part of a secret double bill as part of an advertised as single bill screening at the Aero a few weeks ago...
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    To be fair, LA had a screening already... granted, it was part of a secret double bill as part of an advertised as single bill screening at the Aero a few weeks ago...
    That shit doesnt count.

So is there no hint at something here before the release date at all?

Other than screening it in Santa Monica? Probably.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    Yeah, that in no way compares. I mean, I love The Shining, but I was never going to the Aero for a DCP screening on a random August night (that I happened to be in Colorado that weekend for a family reunion is irrelevant). The overall point is those theaters (the Aero and Egyptian) need "benefit" screenings also, and yet they haven't been graced with announced (read: profitable) screenings of either this one, or PTA's last one (which also had an announced screening at the Castro).

That said, the American Cinematheque houses have, I'm sure, seen increased attendance over the past few weeks from people hoping to land the next one; I myself bought a ticket for Grand Illusion this Wednesday in part because of this very factor. Although, as much sense as it would make for PTA to bring that credits-less print down the coast and bookend his mini-tour in his own back yard, I am starting to think that the LA advance sneak thing is played out.

(The advanced logic needed to unravel the complex matrix of jinxes and reverse jinxes I've initiated in this post is beyond current human capabilities.)

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Just finished watching Margaret, finally. So much to digest. it's pretty amazing, as many here have said.

EDIT:

Also, this. I don't really know what to say.

Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 08-21-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Which version did you watch Andrew?

Hmmm, I don't know. I didn't realize there were different releases. Netflix only has one option and it has no notation on either the page or the dvd itself. It was 2.5 hours long. I did notice some funky edits and at least one moment that to me looked like an obvious re-shoot - really weird cut and totally different lighting. I know the movie was in the can for a while because of something, but I don't know much other than that,
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

That's the theatrical cut. The editing is a bit scattershot - some if it seems to be intentional, some seems to be a function of Lonergan being contractually obligated to cut a 186-minute movie down to 150 minutes (the source of the film's lengthy post calendar).

Glad you dug it. I still need to get off my ass and see the extended cut on BD.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecEiffel View Post
    The Master is screening in San Francisco tomorrow night

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/Sal...ventId=4866025
    fuck. missed out on these tickets.

if anyone is going to try and snag one at 6PM at the theater, you should grab me one too... i can make it to the screening, but there is no way i can get to the theater at that time. grrrrrr.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 08-21-2012 at 08:25 AM.

I watched the netflix DVD version (2.5 hours) of Margaret and I think the entire cast outside of Anna Paquin made it such a better movie. I went from liking her, to respecting her, to loathing her back to feeling sorry for her (maybe not in that order), and that was probably the point since she's supposed to be this teenager swimming in a sea of emotions she can't understand. I did think it was hilarious when the dead lady's friend put AP in her place by telling her off, kicking her out of her apt and telling her she's just a dumb kid. Also, Anna Paquin has amazing tits.

<insert gif of Anna Paquin walking down the street in short skirt and being harassed by minorities while crying>
    Last edited by JorgeC; 08-21-2012 at 08:53 AM.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

ParaNorman was surprisingly dark. If anyone saw the "Season of the Witch" teaser trailer, that pretty much sells the movie as it is. It's a little uneven, but the 3D is gorgeous (seriously, Laika does 3D better than anyone), the animation is gorgeous, and the story punched me in the gut. This isn't Neil Gaiman goth cutesy-dark. There are bits of this made me think that I if I had children I would have to do some serious thinking before I brought them.

Surprised we don't have any reviews of The Master from you SF bastards who went last night...
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Just watched Eating Raoul for the first time. I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by atom heart View Post
    ParaNorman was surprisingly dark. If anyone saw the "Season of the Witch" teaser trailer, that pretty much sells the movie as it is. It's a little uneven, but the 3D is gorgeous (seriously, Laika does 3D better than anyone), the animation is gorgeous, and the story punched me in the gut. This isn't Neil Gaiman goth cutesy-dark. There are bits of this made me think that I if I had children I would have to do some serious thinking before I brought them.
    I'm taking my kids and nephew on Saturday! My kids are okay with horror, but I'm not exactly sure about my nephew.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

They'll be fine. Kids need to get scared. I thought it was amazing. So many individual moving characters at any given moment. Laika are the kings of stop motion at the moment. And lots of love for the b-movie horror movement.

Also perhaps the most fitting credit song I've seen in a long time. O, and stick around through the credits and enjoy that music along with a nice little moment.

^Amen. One of my favorite movies of the year. When it was over, i just had to say "Well, damn. Wasn't that great!" 3D is excellent. Hopefully you have a theater that has proper projection going on so you can enjoy the extra dimensions.

Samsara was pretty incredible. This won't surprise anyone but it's possibly the most visually amazing film I've seen in a theater, and that's due to some unbelievably crisp digital transferring they were able to do from 70mm. As for the merits of the film, it really treads much of the same ground that Baraka did, but does a really good job of exploring its themes and establishing a rhythm through editing. There are a couple ham-fisted moments but some really wonderful ones too. I don't feel like I need to say this but I'll reiterate - go see this if you can, preferably on the finest quality digital projection system possible.
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    Samsara was pretty incredible. This won't surprise anyone but it's possibly the most visually amazing film I've seen in a theater, and that's due to some unbelievably crisp digital transferring they were able to do from 70mm. As for the merits of the film, it really treads much of the same ground that Baraka did, but does a really good job of exploring its themes and establishing a rhythm through editing. There are a couple ham-fisted moments but some really wonderful ones too. I don't feel like I need to say this but I'll reiterate - go see this if you can, preferably on the finest quality digital projection system possible.
    I'm seeing a free screening of it at USC on Wednesday. Not the finest quality anything, but for free 99 I couldn't pass it up.
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Compliance was pretty strong - gripping, well-written, terrifically acted for the most part. It felt like an American version of a Haneke film, but with a more intimate viewpoint and perhaps a slightly less diseased touch with some of the more icky moments, so it's a little easier to not be throughly turned off by it (though that's not to say I was turned on by it, either). I think that it could be found guilty of starting an interesting conversation without necessarily adding much of resonance beyond the prompt; however, I found its view of a populace that coddles itself on shitty fast food and soda to be more potent than its take on obedience before presumed authority.

Finally saw Tree of Life last night. Really not sure what to think. it's quite an experience.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Finally saw Tree of Life last night. Really not sure what to think. it's quite an experience.
    I think that's the norm. There's plenty to love and lots to feel uncertain about. It's appropriate to be thankful someone had the clout to make that quality of film with that cast and that subject matter, if nothing else.

Liked Borat and whatever the other faggy one was called, but half-watching The Dictator the jokes seemed as stale as Midwestern summer catshit. Where is the Costa Rican rainforest pile? Long, wet, lasting.

And I guess Avengers is the only movie they play on airplanes nowadays.

So did everyone just jizz themselves to death from getting their tickets for The Master or is no one really talking about the the dome 70mm screenings being onsale at the arclight?

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    So did everyone just jizz themselves to death from getting their tickets for The Master or is no one really talking about the the dome 70mm screenings being onsale at the arclight?
    My whole Twitter feed is going apeshit about it. I'll be going that weekend but I'm not yet sure when.