Page 914 of 1024 FirstFirst ... 909910911912913914915916917918919 ... LastLast
Results 27,391 to 27,420 of 30697

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Live down in Newport so the IMAX at Irvine Spectrum is my local screen and only one I have been to. Is there a difference between different theaters?

Did go for the IMAX version, amazing...and the theater was packed for the mid afternoon showing, thought it would have let up a little by now, glad I showed up a little early.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 08-04-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Imax. Nolan's vision. Ope, just saw it was way earlier today you posted. Hope you enjoyed it.

Which LA Imax theater do you all prefer: Citywalk or Rave18
    Rave. A million times out of a million. Mainly because I think CityWalk is the scourge of American civilization.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Can already understand, ha. Trying to go see DKR with my father at one of the areas "real IMAX" screens since he hasn't caught it yet. Gotta seating recommendation? I was told center last row but I dislike being too far back in other theaters. Don't know about a 7 story imax screen though.

It's fine anywhere in the middle. The real IMAX is the way to do it.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

real imax is always subpar in terms of projection quality in my experience... i'll take minimax any day of the week over it. quality over scale.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    real imax is always subpar in terms of projection quality in my experience... i'll take minimax any day of the week over it. quality over scale.
    plus, the bigger the screen, the more the dirt/dust/shit on the lens is implicated as a character in the film.

God damn.

7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Cronenberg's kid's movie looks promising:

Oooh that looks fun.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

"why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Oooh that looks fun.
    Watching that made me reeeaally uncomfortable so I'm sure it's something I'll like.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Excellent November slate for Criterion:

• Godard's Weekend
    • Pasolini's Trilogy of Life (Decameron, Canterbury Tales, Arabian Nights)
    • Heaven's Gate (a morbid curiosity)

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I watched Will Friedkin's Sorcerer from 1977 earlier this week. It's a remake of a 1950s film. it centers around a group of men who have found themselves self-exiled in the same South American town only to take the job of transporting extremely volatile nitroglycerin and explosives on trucks through 200 miles of nearly impenetrable jungle to blast out a burning oil well. It's a truly first rate thriller that had me gasping at parts. it takes a rather long time setting up each guy's personal story before getting to the jungles, but it's terrific. Unfortunately this movie is in serious need of a makeover. As it is, it only exists on home video in 4:3, which is a fucking shame because it's a gorgeously shot movie. The locations are as much of characters as the human actors are. the current picture is very grainy too. I've reading about a current lawsuit over right that Friedkin has going on right now to try and get this thing restored and released, which i really hope gets done. This movie is a monster.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I just saw the original, The Wages of Fear, a week or two ago for the first time. It really was pretty spectacular and had me on the edge of my seat for about two thirds of its running time. I've got to see the Friedkin version, but I want to try and hold out for a little while until there is a better viewing option.
    08/22/14 The Murder City Devils - Great American Music Hall
    11/07/14 The Matches - Slim's
    11/08/14 The Matches - Slim's
    11/09/14 Julian Casablancas + the Voidz - Regency Ballroom
    11/17/14 Bastille - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium

Haven't seen Sorcerer but I'm pretty sure The Wages of Fear is better. That's a pretty much unbeatable thriller.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    My schedule (no way I will see all of them, probably a third reasonable)... I'm missing some key ones, but Boss of it All, One11 and 113, Still Alive, 30th Century Man, Opera Jawa, and Max Havelaar are at the top of my list.

The Bothersome Man
    Neptune Theatre
    BOTH1107A
    I don't know if you ever ended up seeing The Bothersome Man... I watched it on netflix last night because it sounded interesting. I highly recommend anyone watch it. It is really amazing.

Last edited by Starraven; 08-15-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

ATTENTION CHICAGO PEEPS:

THE MASTER IS BEING SCREENED IN 70MM TOMORROW IN YOUR CITY. THAT IS ALL.

http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-cultu...ons-the-master
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The Jaws blu-ray is glorious.

Also, if you make the purchase or rent a version that has also the special features on it still, the new making of/influence documentary on it The Shark Is Still Working is really awesome.

How often to tickets get released for sold out Cinefamily shows? I need to get on their mailing list, i can't believe i'm going to miss a documentary on G.L.O.W. (Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling). Guess i'll post an ad on CL, but any help would be great.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I watched Will Friedkin's Sorcerer from 1977 earlier this week. It's a remake of a 1950s film. it centers around a group of men who have found themselves self-exiled in the same South American town only to take the job of transporting extremely volatile nitroglycerin and explosives on trucks through 200 miles of nearly impenetrable jungle to blast out a burning oil well. It's a truly first rate thriller that had me gasping at parts. it takes a rather long time setting up each guy's personal story before getting to the jungles, but it's terrific. Unfortunately this movie is in serious need of a makeover. As it is, it only exists on home video in 4:3, which is a fucking shame because it's a gorgeously shot movie. The locations are as much of characters as the human actors are. the current picture is very grainy too. I've reading about a current lawsuit over right that Friedkin has going on right now to try and get this thing restored and released, which i really hope gets done. This movie is a monster.
    I saw this in high school, and I remember my friend and I went in completely cold, not knowing what it was about at all. It's genuinely heart-stopping in places, especially the bridge scene. We were cowering in the dark with our hands over our mouths. Very intense movie for a couple of teenage girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that Sorcerer also features the first Tangerine Dream film score, and it is awesome.

And yes those two bridge scenes were driving me fucking bonkers. Even with the side panel letter box of a 4:3 presentation i was squealing in my seat during that.
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    The Jaws blu-ray is glorious.

Also, if you make the purchase or rent a version that has also the special features on it still, the new making of/influence documentary on it The Shark Is Still Working is really awesome.
    Seconded.
    08/22/14 The Murder City Devils - Great American Music Hall
    11/07/14 The Matches - Slim's
    11/08/14 The Matches - Slim's
    11/09/14 Julian Casablancas + the Voidz - Regency Ballroom
    11/17/14 Bastille - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    How often to tickets get released for sold out Cinefamily shows? I need to get on their mailing list, i can't believe i'm going to miss a documentary on G.L.O.W. (Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling). Guess i'll post an ad on CL, but any help would be great.
    Never. They usually have a rush line to let people in when there are no-shows, but I don't think they ever hold tickets for late release.

And yes, you (all of you) need to be on their mailing list.

Apparently Keanu Reeves is doing Q&As at the Laemmle NoHo this weekend and there are still tickets available.

And the movie theater posted this on facebook, which makes me incredibly happy.

last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Never. They usually have a rush line to let people in when there are no-shows, but I don't think they ever hold tickets for late release.

And yes, you (all of you) need to be on their mailing list.
    Thank you. Guess i'll be waiting outside on Tuesday.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

For the record, people should put the Wages Of Fear on their "must watch" list.

Ok, screw that. It's MANDATORY now.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Finally saw The Turin Horse last night (its on Netflix on demand FYI) mainly due to the hype from this board. It was visually beautiful in a bleak way, but man was it slow. I understand the point, but it felt like a chore to watch. I like my 2.5 hour movies to have a little more development. I'm sure starting it at 12:30 am was probably the wrong decision.

The Wages of Fear is one of my favorite Criterion releases. Truly essential viewing.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I'm a little disappointed that Moonrise Kingdom's blu-ray/dvd release is not going to be a Criterion Title.

On the flipside, those new Criterion releases of Rashomon and Heaven's Gate sound awesome.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

The Darjeeling Limited release didn't come from criterion right off the bat but we got one eventually. So maybe they'll gve up the rights for mr fox and moonrise sometime in the future. Though probably not fox since they don't have any animated film releases.

Tenenbaums blu ray showed up yesterday. Yippee