Page 9 of 1027 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

i heard the novel was decent

thomas harris is the new anne rice.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    so, jack's post in the TV thread reminded me...

how come on the 300 trailer the guy says "tonight, we dine in hell!!!" shouldn't it be hades?!?! i see that trailer almost everytime i go to the movies and it makes me wonder.
    Shouldn't it all be in Doric Greek and Old Persian?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by thinnerair View Post
    my friend Bill was a projectionist there. He just left like 3 weeks ago.
    Ive never actually gone. I hear its a pretty cool little theater.
    That's a shame. Great little theater if you like asian cinema. There are even asian snacks. They are now host to my favorite film festival in the world, the NYAFF (New York Asian Film Festival)

It's organized by a fun group of guys over at Subway Cinema. www.subwaycinema.com

Some of the most entertaining films are screened there. It's a very fun festival. You should check it out this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by lindseyb View Post
    i can't stand nicolas cage. although wild at heart is a great movie, i'd like to think that david lynch had his reasons for not re-casting him in any of his other films, which he usually will do with actors he likes.

on a semi-related note, i'm going to the premier of inland empire in SF tonight, which is also the kickoff of SF indie fest. apparently our tickets also get us into an "after-party" with food & drink. i'm more interested in seeing the movie though...i've never seen a david lynch movie on the big screen before!

what new hannibal film is coming out? i thought they had done a movie for each of the books in the trilogy.

saw "sherrybaby" last weekend. maggie gyllenhaal was superb, as expected, but probably the most depressing movie i've seen.
    Nicholas Cage is a jackass. My dad worked on a set with him and he wouldn't talk to any of the technical people. He would come out of his trailer, shoot his scene and then return to his trailer. His PA brought him alll his food and he didn't interact with anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

heres a trailer for that new FACES OF DEATH movie everyones been going apeshit about...
    http://www.d13network.com/videosp/fod2.html
    looks like its going straight to video...

metal gear solid movie finally in development
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31516

I'd be down to watch a Marshall Applewhite bio-pic starring Burt Reynolds directed by Michael Bay.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Shouldn't it all be in Doric Greek and Old Persian?
    ha ha ha, good point. i don't know why it bothers me so much, but everytime i see the trailer i get pissed off. i think it's the angry music they play, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    heres a trailer for that new FACES OF DEATH movie everyones been going apeshit about...
    http://www.d13network.com/videosp/fod2.html
    looks like its going straight to video...

metal gear solid movie finally in development
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31516
    I didn't get the "Faces of Death" trailer....is that about the guy who started the "Faces of Death" series? I saw "FoD 2" in high school....it upset the shit out of me. It included a video of a guy being torchered by witches and they cut his cheeks with a pair of garden shears. It was pretty fucking realistic, too. I hated that shit. It was like "Irreversible" without the artistry or the point.

In slightly-less-fucked-up movie news - I finally saw "Blue Velvet" for the first time last night. I thought it was awesome. It was slightly more conventional than the two Lynch films ("Mulholland" and "Inland") that I've seen before it, but I can see what was so audacious about it. It was a great example of how Lynch's masterful visual and audio techniques can work wonders on a relatively-normal plot about a young boy investigating potential foul play in his small town. The acting was terrific as well.

Hopefully I'll make it to "Wild at Heart" tonight. Then I've got a lot more Lynch ahead of me ("Lost Highways", "Elephant Man", "Eraserhead", etc.).
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Ha ha ha ha ha.....any of you who read Ain't It Cool News regularly may be familiar with Neill Cumpston, who writes some of the funniest reviews of action movies and comedies that are humanly possible.

His take on "300".
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Ha ha ha ha ha.....any of you who read Ain't It Cool News regularly may be familiar with Neill Cumpston, who writes some of the funniest reviews of action movies and comedies that are humanly possible.

His take on "300".
    that was fucking hilarious!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

In slightly-less-fucked-up movie news - I finally saw "Blue Velvet" for the first time last night. I thought it was awesome. It was slightly more conventional than the two Lynch films ("Mulholland" and "Inland") that I've seen before it, but I can see what was so audacious about it. It was a great example of how Lynch's masterful visual and audio techniques can work wonders on a relatively-normal plot about a young boy investigating potential foul play in his small town. The acting was terrific as well.

Hopefully I'll make it to "Wild at Heart" tonight. Then I've got a lot more Lynch ahead of me ("Lost Highways", "Elephant Man", "Eraserhead", etc.).
    blue velvet is great, isn't it? apparently laura dern and kyle mclachlan dated briefly after they filmed that movie. i saw inland empire last night...it was amazing. i can't wait to buy the dvd and watch it over and over again. did you know twin peaks season 2 is out on dvd in april?

you haven't seen eraserhead, yet? man, you're in for it. i like this the least of his films. not because its any less creative or brilliant, but because the gross-factor made it so hard for me to watch. it literally made me sick to my stomach.

Eraserhead is an intense viewing experience. Get the Lynch-approved copy of the film if you can; the transfer is pristine and really captures the disgusting glory of the film. As with most of his, it's definitely not conventional. It's also more twisted. I really liked it.

yeah i read that review earlier today and it was great. he doesnt disappoint. i honestly dont know what that faces of death film is about, all i know is that it caused hotshit because theyre people actually dying in the film. blue velvet man...what a fucked up film...

jeff: Heineken???
    Frank Booth: Heineken!???...FUCK THAT SHIT! PABST BLUE RIBBON!!!

and, that review of 300 is top notch

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Eraserhead is an intense viewing experience. Get the Lynch-approved copy of the film if you can; the transfer is pristine and really captures the disgusting glory of the film. As with most of his, it's definitely not conventional. It's also more twisted. I really liked it.
    yeah get the lynch signature version...the way it should be viewed. i heard elephant man was coming to criterion, maybe theyll do the same for eraserhead.

I don't think he'd do a criterion for it, since he's already released a similarily priced definitive edition. The packaging on it is awesome as well; well worth the 30 some odd bucks.
    I will buy Elephant Man criterion. I love the Criterion collection; so many awesome movies.

i didnt know what the criterion collection was until somebody left Brazil at my house, ever since then you could say ive been addicted. yeah youre right, a release on criterion would be pointless, they really couldnt do any better than the one thats already out.

So, against all odds, I not only made it to the midnight (well, technically 1 am) screening "Wild at Heart" tonight, but I made it through the whole thing without dozing off. I got a little sleepy towards the middle, but I fought it off with the help of some Red Bulls (and a cappuccino....and a pack of Nitro2Go energy pills) and saw it through to the end.

Holy shit, it was awesome. I had no idea what I was in for. An indescribable and surprisingly sweet cocktail of lovers on the run, Elvis, and "The Wizard of Oz", this film has a diabolically funny surprise at every turn. As a big fan of "Natural Born Killers", this obvious predecessor to that film was a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    As a big fan of "Natural Born Killers", this obvious predecessor to that film was a blast.
    That was one big reason I figured you'd love this one but I didn't wanna screw up your expectations.

Domino was rented by other people last night and I watched it. It moved enough and had enough going on to be passable but there was nothing special there, nothing new. Better than I expected, I guess.

I liked "Domino" a lot. I know it was a mess in many ways, but I thought there was some strong satire in there. I took it as a parody of biographical movies that are "based on a true story" as well as "reality" TV shows; that might be reaching somewhat, but I found enough justification that the theory holds. And I've yet to see a movie with Mickey Rourke that isn't at least somewhat fun to watch.

It was def entertaining. As a satire... maybe but it's hard for me to feel that from Tony Scott and, well, I don't know - subjects that are that ridiculous in themselves are difficult to satirize. Ian and BAG were nice touches, though.

In my on-going adventures with Oliver Stone I watched Platoon again. My dad bought it and I had been wanting to re-watch anyway. I liked it a lot more than before (I hated, hated hated it last time) but I still didn't really like it. I have much more respect for it as the things I don't like aren't important things to Stone; he's doing other things, he's not trying to make the kind of movie I want it to be.

(Possible) SPOILERS for PLATOON (1986) follow....

...SPOILERS...

I see Stone's movies as full of sloppy plotting, hamfisted acting and overimportant overemphasized moments that are supposed to be powerful but strike me as ludicrous. Like the slow motion pauses on Barnes and Elias culminating in extreme closeups of the eyes of Barnes and then Elias... I mean, fucking hell. It just boggles my mind why he would want to beat us over the head like that.

Stone to me always fees rushed. I mean, yes, I love the pacing of 2001 but I also love the pacing of Baz Luhrmann's films. Stone is actually after the same sort of expressionism, a mystical, mythical evocation... but Luhrmann's subject matter is lighter so overblown sillyness is a good thing.

There was much that I liked about Platoon. The movie as a whole could be seen as an expressionistic encapsulation of the US's time in Vietnam... maybe. The fresh faces right off the plane walking right into dead bodies being loaded onto another aircraft. The initial feeling of not knowing what the hell was going on was appropriate. You never quite understand why they go one place or another... which is appropriate, I figure. But then again for me I tend to prefer contrast in such situations. There was some real tension in the early battle scenes - where the purpose was accurately expressing the battles compared to later on when the purpose shifted to the Barnes/Elias duality and such which disrupted the pacing thus killing the tension.

The story was stupid and simplistic and, as stated previously way overblown. The acting was uneven. There were so many characters and so little time to do anything with them but they were given moments when they were treated as the most important characters in the movie. Also Corey Glover from Living Colour was in the movie. Matt Dillon's brother was in it and he distracted me by looking familiar without actually being familiar. The voiceover pretty much sucked.

The Barber was good though it was used over and over and over.

OK, I'm not sure I got much across there. I feel as if I understand Stone better and respect him more but I still don't like him. So now it's not that I hate this movie it's just that I wish it was a lot different.

Banned

I'm watching Taxi Driver right now.

E

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4 View Post
    I'm watching Taxi Driver right now.

E
    Great fucking movie.

Harvey Keitel just destroys as a pimp.

Banned

Word. I think Martin Scorsese tries too hard as the seriously deranged husband taxi passenger.

But it's still one of my personal favourites in the film.

E

I'm halfway (i.e., still capable of driving, probably not capable of coherent conversation) drunk right now, so please forgive the following review.

Earlier this evening, I watched "Factory Girl", a portrait of one-time Warhol "It Girl" Edie Sedgwick. I thought it was a fantastic movie that slightly suffered from a lackluster ending.

Basically, Edie Sedgwick was a girl from a very rich, prominent American family who, in lieu of capitalizing on her own artistic talents, became the face of Andy Warhol's self-created empire of lost souls. And let me tell you, Sienna Miller - formerly best known as Jude Law's cheated-on ex-girlfriend - plays her swinging for the fences. She gets inside Edie and turns her sadness and emptiness into a Brando-(not to be confused with Brandon -esque performance. I'm not going to be able to do this justice right now, but she is flat-out fucking brilliant, taking Edie from her damaged, trust-fund beginnings at the Cambridge School of the Arts to her career pinnacle as the face of "The Factory" - a loft in which Warhol makes ordinary confused people into individual art projects - to a tragic end at the age of 28. Director George Hickenlooper - who made the fantastic Rodney Bingenheimer documentary "The Mayor of the Sunset Strip" - captures the hedonism and emptiness of Warhol World with poignancy and authenticity, and he's aided by a cadre of recognizable, skilled actors playing historical characters of various significance. After Sienna, the film belongs to Guy Pearce (whose Warhol is a model of self-deprecation-gone-wrong) and Hayden Christensen (who does the finest work of his career as a Bob Dylan stand-in who romances Edie until the point he realizes she will never break free of Warhol's grasp). The centerpiece of "Factory Girl" is a Pantheon-level scene in which Dylan is invited to The Factory to stand as the subject of a new Warhol film, and ends up exposing Warhol (to the audience, if nothing else) for the overrated parasite that he is. I'm a fan of Andy Warhol's work, to be sure, but I found this vampire portrayal of him to somehow make complete and perfect sense.

"Factory Girl" is eventually undone by a lazy ending that breaks some of my most hallowed rules for film denouement - namely, don't tell me the ending of a story via subtitles, and don't have interviews about your film's subject as the closing credits roll - but it's not offensive enough to spoil the film's significant accomplishments. It's still one of the best films of (technically) 2006, and one that anyone with a desire to feel the cruelty of fleeting fame should seek out immediately.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    so, jack's post in the TV thread reminded me...

how come on the 300 trailer the guy says "tonight, we dine in hell!!!" shouldn't it be hades?!?! i see that trailer almost everytime i go to the movies and it makes me wonder.
    Remember that old analogy section of the SAT's?

Hell is to English as:
    A) Blue is to color.
    B) Gluttony is to sin.
    C) Hades is to Greek.
    D) Bakersfield is to California.
    E) Elmo is to Sesame Street

They're not speaking ancient Greek in "300". I know Hades and Hell aren't 100% equivalent concepts, but we all get the idea. Action movies are generally meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator. There are likely far bigger historical innacuracies in that movie than "hell".

EDIT: just saw John's post. What he said.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 02-11-2007 at 01:26 AM.

Children of Men was the best movie I'd seen in years. Cant wait for 300 on Imax

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by full on idle View Post
    I'm watching Idiocracy tonight. I don't have high hopes but who knows.
    This movie was overall horrible, but I did manage a mild chuckle when President Dwayne Elizando Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho addressed the U.S House of Representin' after a WWE-style entrance, then led the parade down Pennsylvania Ave on his massive trike.

I can't believe real money was laid out to produce that movie.

Children of Men...good, though I feel like there could've been a little more to it.