Page 871 of 1027 FirstFirst ... 866867868869870871872873874875876 ... LastLast
Results 26,101 to 26,130 of 30805

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

That's really cool. I need to check out more Russian film and literature. I think that the only Russian film I've ever seen is Ivan's Childhood, which I liked pretty well (and I hope it is released in blu-ray sometime soon).
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Oh my god Tim. Ivan's Childhood is beautiful and tragic, and the least of Tarkovsky's films. Andrei Rublev, Stalker, The Mirror and Solyaris are all masterpieces. The Mirror is quite probably my favorite film of all time.

Go ahead and watch it.

Embedding's disabled, but you can follow that link.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Yeah, get on Stalker and The Mirror ASAP.
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    Whit Stillman..................
    ........................is back

http://www.sonyclassics.com/damselsindistress/
    Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    Yeah, I've heard about that. Good news indeed. I really liked The Last Days of Disco and Metropolitan.
    I am excited he has made another film but that trailer doesn't make me excited about the film, specifically.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Holy cow!

The studio in Moscow that put out all the early Tarkovski films (the Soviet studio that basically released most Russian films during communist rule) has been uploading a bulk of their films. They're in really good quality as far as I can tell, and at least The Mirror had subtitles. Can't guarantee for any of the others.
    This is awesome. I am so glad our TV can stream from YouTube!

I am also excited to rewatch Alexander Nevskij!

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Yeah, get on Stalker and The Mirror ASAP.
    I may be a spoiled rotten fuck for saying this, but - while this is awesome in theory, there's absolutely no way Tarkovsky's work should be discovered via YouTube. Do it right - if you don't live in an area that regularly offers big-screen viewings of Tarkovsky films (which Los Angeles does), get an all-region DVD player from eBay for $50 and check out the boxed set from Artificial Eye. These movies are too goddamn great for the first viewing to be subpar.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Yeah, I'll probably see what Netflix has, rather than view them on YouTube. I'm going to switch back to their DVD service next month.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Not to be a complete populist here, but saw The Hunger Games this morning. Enjoyed it a lot, a competently made version of the books with some good "oooh" and "ahhh" moments. The kids at the theater seemed to be impressed, a definitely step up from the humdrum repetition of the Harry Potter pictures and the super-dullness of the Twilight things.

(I have two teenage kids, so don't come crashing me for seeing teenage movies)

The Snow White and the Huntsmen trailer and Avengers looked cool, Prometheus looks awesome, and the new Twilight trailer is probably the most horrible teaser trailer I've ever seen. I cannot imagine wanting to see that movie based on solely the trailer.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I will probably check out The Hunger Games sometime in the next couple weeks, if for no other reason than to see how Jennifer Lawrence fares as a blockbuster lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I may be a spoiled rotten fuck for saying this, but - while this is awesome in theory, there's absolutely no way Tarkovsky's work should be discovered via YouTube. Do it right - if you don't live in an area that regularly offers big-screen viewings of Tarkovsky films (which Los Angeles does), get an all-region DVD player from eBay for $50 and check out the boxed set from Artificial Eye. These movies are too goddamn great for the first viewing to be subpar.
    Agreed, someone linked me to those youtube videos a few months ago and the extent to which I've used them is to fuck around with Stalker on mute while I drank and played Underworld out of my speakers or something, hahaha.
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I saw The Hunger Games this morning, too. It is definitely in a much higher league than the Twilight films. I saw the soundtrack listing and figured it was going to be a bunch of music videos, like Twilight, but was pleased to see that they didn't actually use the soundtrack in the film. A Taylor Swift song dropped in the center of dying children would not have worked well... I haven't read the books, but it seems like they could have easily turned this story into a shitty movie, yet they managed to make something enjoyable.

It helps that Jennifer Lawrence is an actress that Kristen Stewart couldn't even dream of being.

Hunger Games - $155 mil, third highest opening weekend ever.
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Absolutely adored Casa de mi Padre.
    I don't know if there's much of an audience out there for it, but that limited narrow appeal is certainly part of its shabby charm.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    Absolutely adored Casa de mi Padre.
    I don't know if there's much of an audience out there for it, but that limited narrow appeal is certainly part of its shabby charm.
    My wife wants to see it, but it seems like a perfect movie to watch at home. Am I wrong? We're often underwhelmed by Will Farrell in the theater and wish we'd seen something else.

What happened to Zeta-Jones?

Last I heard, she was undergoing therapy for bipolar disorder? Or something like that. Maybe I'm just creating a rumor.

or The Gay Fans of Michael Douglas sucked all the life out of her. Either way.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    My wife wants to see it, but it seems like a perfect movie to watch at home. Am I wrong? We're often underwhelmed by Will Farrell in the theater and wish we'd seen something else.
    Well its so different from really everything he's done before that your feelings about his other stuff might not really apply.
    HE doesn't really employ the Will Ferrell "style" here.
    Theres no shouting, etc.
    I laughed a lot but it was primarily driven by the feel of the film and it's overblown melodrama and low budget style.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

21 Jump Street is completely fucking hilarious. I had tears running down my face from laughing several times. It surprised the hell out of both my girlfriend and I with how funny it is. Awesome.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Really? I thought it would be lame -- judging by the trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    21 Jump Street is completely fucking hilarious. I had tears running down my face from laughing several times. It surprised the hell out of both my girlfriend and I with how funny it is. Awesome.
    I keep hearing this, but my brain refuses to believe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    My girlfriend and I had the same experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

I saw the Hunger Games on Saturday. I didnt want to put a damper on how my friends felt about it, but i wasnt as impressed. Maybe because i was slightly hungover.

I understand that it wasnt going to be as dark as "Battle Royale", but there were way too many cheesy lines for those that have read the book (me). It was as if the director tried to hit all the book's details and made sure that you saw those details, instead of keeping them in the background and going along with the storyline.
    It is a PG-13 rating, but the camera work was so zoomed in and spinning that you didn't even know what was going on if there wasn't 'blood' being thrown around the camera during the games.

Obviously it would take away from Lawrence being attractive, but shouldn't Katniss appear to be malnourished? How can you show Katniss starving in the rain if she has a curvy body with a booty? I mean, really though, she has a booty.
    FYF 08/23-08/24
    Chvrches 09/19
    Banks 10/16
    Digitalism 11/08

The Cabin in the Woods was great fun. Some great twists on a genre that has been done to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrank View Post
    I saw the Hunger Games on Saturday. I didnt want to put a damper on how my friends felt about it, but i wasnt as impressed. Maybe because i was slightly hungover.

I understand that it wasnt going to be as dark as "Battle Royale", but there were way too many cheesy lines for those that have read the book (me). It was as if the director tried to hit all the book's details and made sure that you saw those details, instead of keeping them in the background and going along with the storyline.
    It is a PG-13 rating, but the camera work was so zoomed in and spinning that you didn't even know what was going on if there wasn't 'blood' being thrown around the camera during the games.

Obviously it would take away from Lawrence being attractive, but shouldn't Katniss appear to be malnourished? How can you show Katniss starving in the rain if she has a curvy body with a booty? I mean, really though, she has a booty.
    Wait, you read the book and you thought the movie had cheesy lines? That was one of the most painfully unimaginatively written youth lit I've ever read.

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

How often do you read youth lit?

Anyway, I think it's easier to get away with cheesy lines in books because its not being acted out on a screen in front of you, so its not as obvious. I realized I had the same reaction to this movie as when I saw Nickelodeon's adaptation of Animorphs.
    FYF 08/23-08/24
    Chvrches 09/19
    Banks 10/16
    Digitalism 11/08

Would you pay $105 to see a movie? In this situation i would. Unfortunately i don't live in the SF/Oakland area and have to werk this weekend:

The Many Lives of Able Gance's "Napoleon"

It's playing this weekend at the Paramount Theater in Oakland for the SF Silent Film Festival with a full orchestra. If i can get off work and secure a ticket, i might be doing the 8 hour drive.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    Would you pay $105 to see a movie? In this situation i would. Unfortunately i don't live in the SF/Oakland area and have to werk this weekend:

The Many Lives of Able Gance's "Napoleon"
    I have some friends that flew in from the East Coast to see it. I have not yet heard what they thought, though.

Also I enjoyed The Hunger Games enough. I haven't read any books and was under the mistaken impression that the actual games were spread out across the trilogy, thus I kept expecting things to end, on a cliffhanger of some sort. I was also told Katniss didn't win and thus was also expecting her to die at any time. Maybe this contributed but I thought the film had a lot of tension. It also kept me thinking of times she could have died. I mean more than I otherwise would have, cause, really, it would've been better (for me) if, say, they had eaten the berries.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by DFrank View Post
    Anyway, I think it's easier to get away with cheesy lines in books because its not being acted out on a screen in front of you, so its not as obvious. I realized I had the same reaction to this movie as when I saw Nickelodeon's adaptation of Animorphs.
    What in the fuck.

Coachella Junkie

Quick tip everyone: calling something "youth lit" doesn't change the fact that you're an adult reading children's books. By choice.