Page 869 of 1023 FirstFirst ... 864865866867868869870871872873874 ... LastLast
Results 26,041 to 26,070 of 30678

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Not yet. They're working on it. Soon, they say.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Of course the encore of On The Sliver Globe is on a weekday and showing late enough where i can't go.Is Angel City or La Femme Publique a better choice to see? I have to see Klown the trailers are hilarious.

Sound of Noise is about talented Avant-garde musicians who for the most part are percussionist.The grand Scheme is four different pieces involving places within the city while being pursued by a tone deaf music hating policeman. 8.8/10 I would recommend this for if your a fan of Brandt Brauer frick.It's a Music and heist film.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

If you ever wanted to read Andrei Tarkovsky's book Sculpting in Time but never got around to it, here ya go:

http://ftf.vsmu.sk/files/Andrey_Tark...ition_1987.pdf

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

cant wait until the Raid Redemption! Looks awesome! Its by the same people that did Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    If you ever wanted to read Andrei Tarkovsky's book Sculpting in Time but never got around to it, here ya go:

The book is tremendous. It's a lot of film theory, but it's also a lot of life theory.

Also, I'm not sure who all qualifies under "the people that did Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", but Ang Lee doesn't appear to have had any hand in The Raid.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

There is absolutely no connection between the two. Countries of origin are different, production companies are different, writers are different, fight choreographers are different, the actual type of martial arts is dofferent...is there advertising somewhere that say "from the makers of?"
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

if you watch the trailer :
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1899353/
    it says:
    "From the Company that brought you Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon & Kung fu Hustle"

Yes, Sony Pictures Classics was also the American distributor of these foreign films, among many others. Obviously their deceptive advertising is working.

ALL THAT SAID THOUGH, I do want very much to see The Raid. All 3 films are from directors with very distinct filmmaking languages.
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Thanks! I just read the intro and am already completely spellbound.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Experiencing Andrzej's Zulawski's On the Silver Globe was like having Matthew Barney sit on my lap and feed me acid while gently whispering Tarkovskyesque monologues into my ears with scenes from The Cremaster Cycle being played on random shuffle in front of me while listening to Pop Tatari for the first time all the while.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Experiencing Andrzej's Zulawski's On the Silver Globe was like having Matthew Barney sit on my lap and feed me acid while gently whispering Tarkovskyesque monologues into my ears with scenes from The Cremaster Cycle being played on random shuffle in front of me while listening to Pop Tatari for the first time all the while.
    I don't know what this is but I want it.

I liked On the Silver Globe quite a bit more than Chris did, I think. It is unequivocally one of the most bonkers films I've ever encountered - the kind of movie that dares you to doubt its existence even as it unspools in front of you. I've put that description on a variety of films from the masterful The Holy Mountain to the in-no-way-masterful-but-thoroughly-entertaining Southland Tales; yet this one outpaces either of those (and anything else that comes to mind) in its commitment to formal and philosophical audacity and hallucinatory originality. There were stretches where I could have believed that it was literally made on a different planet.

It's a film that has survived a rare degree of butchery. Legend has it that production was shut down in the late 70's by the Polish Minister of Culture (no doubt fearful of Zulawski's complex viewpoints and affinity for the extreme) with a considerable amount of material left to shoot, with costumes and sets and many other resources immediately seized and destroyed. When Zulawski was later persuaded to salvage the surviving footage of his would-be masterpiece, he opted to narrate the unfilmed portions of the script over nondescript footage filmed in then-contemporary Poland rather than attempt to create the film's visionary universe a second time. It's a decision that makes more than a little sense (I can only imagine how creatively exhausting it was to concoct the first time), but in practice - and in tandem with the film's far-reaching plot, which concerns an astronaut's journey to the moon to free a civilization spawned during a previous astronaut mission from the terror reign of a mutant race of bird-men - the result isn't so much a film that you follow as one you chase.

Nevertheless, while it is absolutely a draining experience to sit through, it hung together for me because I felt it was a work of uncommon substance. It's pretty rare to see a film where characters routinely shriek existential poetry in between sequences of orgy and impalement, but Zulawski (in what research suggests is the raison d'etre for most of his work) expertly uses grueling physicality as a gateway to intellectual transcendence; in this case, he has crafted a landmark portrayal of the birth of civilization and the philosophical progression mankind has taken from the spiritual toward the secular. That's a really simplistic way of putting it, and I think I've made it clear this is a film that is absolutely not going to be fully digested on a single viewing (or potentially a hundred). But I am super gratified to see that, contrary to my expectations after last night's screening, it is available on DVD (albeit in 1.33 rather than its glorious native 1.66), and thus I will probably have the chance to refine my impressions of it. Regardless, if you live in New York and you haven't solidified your plans to get loaded for St. Patrick's Day, I would suggest you head down to BAMcinematek. This shit will get you fucked up in ways you can't even dream of.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

WANT.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

‘Carnage’ was a surprisingly disappointing pile.

After three nights of half hour or so incremental viewing, looking to finish off ‘Giu La Testa’ this evening. What’s taking so long? Sergio Leone westerns tend to have that affect on me most likely due to their slow pace and reflective scenes. Though he created masterful movies, I find them hard to take all-in in one seating. Plus I’ve had some long work days. And also it maybe the desert sun coming out of the TV. But anyway, another great one from Signor Leone.

This friday there's a drink-along double feature of Alien and Aliens at the los Angeles Downtown Independent! Tickets are $10 which include 1 free drink! i am going! Wee!

http://www.downtownindependent.com/e...re-drink-along
    last.fm

Alien scared the stuffing out of me when I was younger... Still can't shake it.

21 Jump Street is good dumb fun. Easily the most likable Chaning Tatum has ever been. It helped I went in with very low expectations.

Can not wait for The Raid, Grandmasters, Stoker, Cogan's Trade & Chinese Zodiac.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I liked On the Silver Globe quite a bit more than Chris did, I think. It is unequivocally one of the most bonkers films I've ever encountered - the kind of movie that dares you to doubt its existence even as it unspools in front of you. I've put that description on a variety of films from the masterful The Holy Mountain to the in-no-way-masterful-but-thoroughly-entertaining Southland Tales; yet this one outpaces either of those (and anything else that comes to mind) in its commitment to formal and philosophical audacity and hallucinatory originality. There were stretches where I could have believed that it was literally made on a different planet.

It's a film that has survived a rare degree of butchery. Legend has it that production was shut down in the late 70's by the Polish Minister of Culture (no doubt fearful of Zulawski's complex viewpoints and affinity for the extreme) with a considerable amount of material left to shoot, with costumes and sets and many other resources immediately seized and destroyed. When Zulawski was later persuaded to salvage the surviving footage of his would-be masterpiece, he opted to narrate the unfilmed portions of the script over nondescript footage filmed in then-contemporary Poland rather than attempt to create the film's visionary universe a second time. It's a decision that makes more than a little sense (I can only imagine how creatively exhausting it was to concoct the first time), but in practice - and in tandem with the film's far-reaching plot, which concerns an astronaut's journey to the moon to free a civilization spawned during a previous astronaut mission from the terror reign of a mutant race of bird-men - the result isn't so much a film that you follow as one you chase.

Nevertheless, while it is absolutely a draining experience to sit through, it hung together for me because I felt it was a work of uncommon substance. It's pretty rare to see a film where characters routinely shriek existential poetry in between sequences of orgy and impalement, but Zulawski (in what research suggests is the raison d'etre for most of his work) expertly uses grueling physicality as a gateway to intellectual transcendence; in this case, he has crafted a landmark portrayal of the birth of civilization and the philosophical progression mankind has taken from the spiritual toward the secular. That's a really simplistic way of putting it, and I think I've made it clear this is a film that is absolutely not going to be fully digested on a single viewing (or potentially a hundred). But I am super gratified to see that, contrary to my expectations after last night's screening, it is available on DVD (albeit in 1.33 rather than its glorious native 1.66), and thus I will probably have the chance to refine my impressions of it. Regardless, if you live in New York and you haven't solidified your plans to get loaded for St. Patrick's Day, I would suggest you head down to BAMcinematek. This shit will get you fucked up in ways you can't even dream of.
    I was trying to get my Polish friends to see this film but couldn't get them to go. They had never heard of it and didn't want to bother. So depressing.

The Raid is having another free L.A screening tomorrow at the Writer's Guild Theater after that I'm going try to head over to Cinefamily for Klovn and if i get too drunk I'll end up watching The FP.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

The Cinefamily ‏ @cinefamily
    Working on our Bela Tarr retrospective and imagining "I Survived Satantango" t-shirts. . .

That is all.

The Raid is bad ass. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the best action film I've seen in decades, but it's darn good. Some sick fight sequences with cool fx.

Full Prometheus trailer. Watch in 1080p and in fullscreen:

*drool*
    Last edited by iv3rdawG; 03-17-2012 at 04:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Quote Originally Posted by Phenomena View Post

Looks like there's a third screening of On the Silver Globe scheduled on Monday 4/2. I may go again.

Where at? I'm super intrigued.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Cinefamily.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Other viral video for Prometheus

I would like to HIGHLY recommend the Downtown Independent theater! The Alien/Aliens double feature on Friday was so much fun. it's right next door to the Smell, and the double features cost $10 and include a free Tecate. The theater is pretty big with very comfortable seats, nice size screen and decent audio. their programming generally seems pretty fun. i hope they get lot of Cinefamily-ish programming because the space is a billion times better, and they serve beer!
    last.fm