Page 1016 of 1024 FirstFirst ... 10111012101310141015101610171018101910201021 ... LastLast
Results 30,451 to 30,480 of 30697

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Uh yes, several people have discussed on the last 2 pages of this thread.
    Sorry, I ran a search in this thread before asking and the results for "skin," brought up some movie entitled, Mysterious Skin.

I'll flip back a few pages and read what was said.
    8/07 LeMaitre @ The Rickshaw Stop (?)
    8/08-8/10 Outside Lands #5
    8/11 NONONO @ GAMH
    8/23 NIN and Soundgarden @ Shoreline
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/10 Woman's Hour @ the Rickshaw Stop
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Mysterious Skin is also a masterpiece, so you should see them both.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Yes, Mysterious Skin is amazing.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    only two major wipeouts (Noah and Joe).
    I thought Joe was pretty good. Nic Cage and the kid did a good job in their roles. Why did you not like it - you have big expectations going in b/c of DGG and the cast?
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I haven't had big expectations for a David Gordon Green movie in many years, but this was the first one that I consider to be a genuine failure (even The Sitter was, at least, more amusing than its rep, even if it's no better than all the films Green used to savage back when he was a wunderkind artiste). Basically, I thought Joe was phony, visually dull (which, aside from The Sitter, has never been the case in Green's work before) and the opposite of cohesive. The first act with the guys in the field was pretty good, but almost none of those characters have any significance later in the film; the climax mainly revolves around two characters who have virtually no presence in the movie until well past the 90 minute mark. The father character is well-played, but his nature and actions make no sense from one scene to the next - not even in the context of his being an abusive drunk. The stuff with the hookers and the girl that foists herself onto Joe had no meaning. I liked Tye Sheridan's performance, but I thought Cage was terrible - he simply cannot play an authentic hard drinker (I don't give a fuck that the Oscars say otherwise), and he only got less convincing as the scenarios became more overwrought. Basically, the only way the film could hang together, for me, is looking at it as an intentional pastiche of all of DGG's previous movies - almost every one has some kind of connective tissue to what happens in Joe (though I couldn't find a match for All the Real Girls), but since I'm applying this thesis to one of the most disparate, what-the-fuck filmographies of the modern age, the result is a movie that seemed to have NO idea what the fuck it is. Plus, the photography is all drab standard film-school coverage, until the sudden voiceover montage in the middle (straight out of Green's early Malick-thieving) - so it doesn't even succeed as sensory experience.

I acknowledge that this will probably be a minority opinion, much like my take on Short Term 12.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Mysterious Skin is pretty good but extremely overwrought. You can make the points Araki was trying to make without the excess. And that ending was terrible.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I would throw you in prison if I could.

You really think he had to go to the point of having two children fist a man to tell a graphic story of pedophilia? And as a huge Sigur Ros fan yourself you didn't find that ending completely forced and laughably sappy? I didn't dislike the film, but if anyone's going to prison it's Gregg Araki, having been found guilty on 9 counts of sensationalism.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

You could not be more off-base. It's literally one of my favorite endings/movies of all time, and the bombastic style is essential to the film's (and Gordon-Levitt's) character. As for the first question, I have to flip it around - what is the purpose of asking films portraying violence or abuse to set boundaries and pull back on the harsher material?

Ahhh, now I remember, Mysterious Skin. I've dl'd it, but forgot I had it, cos I haven't been in the right frame of mind to watch it. Though, I'm not quite sure what the right frame of mind is that will assist me in watching this somewhat disturbing movie.
    8/07 LeMaitre @ The Rickshaw Stop (?)
    8/08-8/10 Outside Lands #5
    8/11 NONONO @ GAMH
    8/23 NIN and Soundgarden @ Shoreline
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/10 Woman's Hour @ the Rickshaw Stop
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

As for the first question, I have to flip it around - what is the purpose of asking films portraying violence or abuse to set boundaries and pull back on the harsher material?
    No one's asking films to pull back. It's more a matter of when the line between good intent and mere shock value is crossed.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I feel like those scenes were done with as much tact as possible given the subject matter. It has been years since I've seen that movie, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Exactly. Chris, I don't know what movie you're thinking of, but it's not as though Araki photographed Mysterious Skin in some Mel Gibson-esque, lovingly slow motion close-ups of heinous violent shit - basically all of the sexual acts involving children occur outside the frame. Which makes your unnerved reaction (akin to those who swore they saw nudity and knife-into-flesh in Psycho only further proof of how expertly it was achieved.

Yes, I must side with Gabe on this. The extremities of the abuses to me are necessary to illustrate the psychological and emotional impact they had on the characters.
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Exactly. Chris, I don't know what movie you're thinking of, but it's not as though Araki photographed Mysterious Skin in some Mel Gibson-esque, lovingly slow motion close-ups of heinous violent shit - basically all of the sexual acts involving children occur outside the frame. Which makes your unnerved reaction (akin to those who swore they saw nudity and knife-into-flesh in Psycho only further proof of how expertly it was achieved.
    It all comes down to subjectivity, of course, and I just don't have a high threshold for the topic in general. And what you and Andrew are saying isn't untrue, but what about when a young JGL is explaining to the boy what the coach has been doing while the boy is laying down, and the kid flat out plants his face in the kid's crotch? I dunno, man. A lot of it seemed to seek to desensitize the viewer with shocking acts like that.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

You're right, it is subjective. For me, in this movie, I thought it all worked. Also, I hated the other Araki movies I have seen, so i am definitely not apologetic for him in general.
    last.fm

Shoot, I need to see that again. I don't remember any of that. I think I was too excited to hear (more) Curve music in another Araki soundtrack.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Well, I wouldn't say I do have a high threshold for watching depictions of child rape - it had the same horrifying effect on me. But it is a fact (not a subjective statement) that the child sex in Mysterious Skin occurs almost completely off-screen, and in conversations/narration that are graphic, but not substantially more so than many other movies (subjective), only more eloquent and nuanced than just about any of them (subjective).

Eat shit X-Men: Days of Futures Pederast...

Now a North Korean funded CGI reboot of Pulgasari and I can die happy
    Last edited by Grandma; 04-28-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Hahahaha. You guys are still debating the "five dollar game." JGL won fair and square. Time to move on.

You are referring to a conversation that hasn't been continued for 5 days.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Two really big 2013 releases recently added to Netflix Instant - Jia Zhangke's A Touch of Sin (finally!) and Claire Denis' massively disturbing Bastards.
    Watched this last night, really good. It's nice to see someone make a film involving four separate stories that don't all have to link together a la Babel or Amores Perros. The section involving the sauna worker was particularly great.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac and Max Von Sydow have been cast in the new Star Wars movie. Didn't recognize any of the other new cast members but I'm actually excited for this one.

now they just need to fire Abrams and hire anyone else and were set!

John Boyega played Moses in Attack The Block and it's about time he got part in something really big.
    Andy Serkis is known for his amazing mo-cap work - he has played Golem in all the Lord of the Rings films, King Kong is Jackon's version, Caeser in the Planet of the Apes prologues.
    Domhnall Gleeson is an irish actor whom has had a lot of small parts including one the Weasley brothers in the Harry Potter series. He was recently Levin in Ana Karenina and was great in it.
    Daisy Ridley thus far has only had small roles in several BBC shows.
    last.fm

I'm not a huge fan of Abrams but his two Star Trek movies were a lot of fun. I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm hoping that Oscar Isaac is the new lead. I also hope that Max Von Sydow manages to stay alive for the duration of the project. They could have cast him as an old man during the original Star Wars in the early 70s.

EDIT: Fuck, I forgot about Serkis. Hopefully he just plays himself rather than voicing some stupid creature but the odds probably aren't high.

The odds are even more that he would do physical mocap of a character that someone else might voice.
    last.fm

I really hope they don't go the route all nerd movies are going now, and just make it bleak. I would like to see some of the whimsical charm stay, but with Abams at the helm I am skeptical.
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

You thought the last 2 Star Trek movies were bleak?
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

I guess dark is a better word. I'm just sick and annoyed that every comic/sci-fi/nerd movie since The Dark Knight has to be dark.