Page 1015 of 1029 FirstFirst ... 10101011101210131014101510161017101810191020 ... LastLast
Results 30,421 to 30,450 of 30841

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Forget Short Term 12 - if you've seen any low-budget movie over the past 12 years, there's nothing to get out of it. WATCH LAURENCE ANYWAYS.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Tip acknowledged.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Forget Short Term 12 - if you've seen any low-budget movie over the past 12 years, there's nothing to get out of it. WATCH LAURENCE ANYWAYS.
    Respectfully disagree. An excerpt from my review on Letterboxd:

"What transpires is delicate and nuanced. Larson and Gallagher, Jr. are terrific, walking that line between caretaker and warden, teacher and friend. Marcus and Jaydan's stories get darker before they get brighter, but the movie never stoops to easy sentimentality (even if it stumbles ever so slightly in the final third). Most impressively, it never looks to take the easy way out. These are kids who have lived (and in some cases are living) hard lives. So, too, have their counselors. The movie never cheapens their experience, nor the experience of the real-life foster children who clearly inspired this movie. If I had seen this early enough, it would have been very near the top of my favorite movies of 2013."
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    A plethora of 2013 films have been added to Netflix Instant recently, many have been discussed in here and all are at least worthy of your time: Short Term 12, Hannah Arendt, Laurence Anyways, hell, even Wrong Cops.
    Thanks for the netflix tips. I've added these to my queue

Also new on netflix I plan on watching soon are Beyond Outrage and Young Detective Dee.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Oh I didn't realize Young Detective Dee had even been made already! My Girlfriend and I watch the Mystery of Phantom Flame several months ago and we loved it.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

And yes, Only Lovers Left Alive is possibly his best film.
    Although I have a few more to go, at this point I'm inclined to agree. Man. There's so much there. The score + soundtrack. I could write a 10 page paper on the last 20 minutes of the film and especially that last shot.

"I'm more of a Stax girl myself." Only in a Jarmusch film...
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    Respectfully disagree. An excerpt from my review on Letterboxd:

"What transpires is delicate and nuanced. Larson and Gallagher, Jr. are terrific, walking that line between caretaker and warden, teacher and friend. Marcus and Jaydan's stories get darker before they get brighter, but the movie never stoops to easy sentimentality (even if it stumbles ever so slightly in the final third). Most impressively, it never looks to take the easy way out. These are kids who have lived (and in some cases are living) hard lives. So, too, have their counselors. The movie never cheapens their experience, nor the experience of the real-life foster children who clearly inspired this movie. If I had seen this early enough, it would have been very near the top of my favorite movies of 2013."
    My Letterboxd review is all jerkface, so there's really no need to share it. The respectful version is that I agree the acting is good/great, but I had no patience for the storytelling (particularly with Grace being shoe-horned into both an uncharacteristic burst of violent catharsis and an unnecessary-yet-inevitable back story) or filmmaking.

Regardless of whether my take is too harsh or not, the point remains - WATCH LAURENCE ANYWAYS.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

The director of Short Term 12 was an acquaintance of mine in college. Small, 2500 undergrad school and he's probably made it the biggest of anyone that's ever gone there. Supposedly he's already signed Jennifer Lawrence on for his next project, really crazy. So yeah you'll likely hear glass-half-full takes on ST12 from me for that reason alone.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

So is anyone following this Bryan Singer chickenhawk shit? I know a couple guys who did the whole move-to-LA-to-work-in-catering/acting-in-commercials-right-after-high-school thing and they had some real surreal stories to tell about the guy. Employing a task force to scout LA hostels and shelters for twinks, mansion parties with stocked drug buffets and off-duty cops working security, etc. Hard to give the guy any benefit of the doubt from what i've heard, especially as its starting to delve into some Sandusky-level shit as more names are being dropped.
    Last edited by Grandma; 04-21-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    So is anyone following this Bryan Singer chickenhawk shit? I know a couple guys who did the whole move-to-LA-to-work-in-catering/acting-in-commercials-right-after-high-school thing and they had some real surreal stories to tell about the guy. Employing a task force to scout LA hostels and shelters for twinks, mansion parties with stocked drug buffets and off-duty cops working security, etc. Hard to give the guy any benefit of the doubt from what i've heard, especially as its starting to delve into some Sandusky-level shit as more names are being dropped.
    I met him once VERY VERY briefly about about eight years ago and he had a entourage of four or five incredibly young-looking dudes. That told me all I needed to know right then and there.
    Last edited by tyles; 04-21-2014 at 05:13 PM.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    I met him once VERY VERY briefly about about eight years ago and he had a entourage of four or five incredibly young-looking dudes. That told me all I needed to know right then and there.
    This is specious logic at best, and possibly evidence of ugly inner currents.

That said, I have seen Singer act abusively on set before, and the stories about his proclivity for young guys have been whispered about for at least as long as I've worked in Los Angeles. I think it's fair for the court of public opinion to waive his presumption of innocence.

So who here has seen Under the Skin? I watched it on Sunday. I liked it for the most part, there are some scenes that I won't be forgetting soon, but there are also some scenes that dragged and felt tedious. I hope we don't have to wait as long for Glazer's next movie.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

My Letterboxd review is all jerkface, so there's really no need to share it. The respectful version is that I agree the acting is good/great, but I had no patience for the storytelling (particularly with Grace being shoe-horned into both an uncharacteristic burst of violent catharsis and an unnecessary-yet-inevitable back story) or filmmaking.

Regardless of whether my take is too harsh or not, the point remains - WATCH LAURENCE ANYWAYS.
    This was my reaction as well. I thought the movie squandered its merits with that unfortunate plot point and sadly that's what I find most memorable about the film.

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    So who here has seen Under the Skin? I watched it on Sunday. I liked it for the most part, there are some scenes that I won't be forgetting soon, but there are also some scenes that dragged and felt tedious. I hope we don't have to wait as long for Glazer's next movie.
    I've seen it a couple times - it's savage, terrifying and transcendent. Along with Nymphomaniac, it's my favorite film of the year so far. This spring has ruled in general - Only Lovers Left Alive, Grand Budapest Hotel, It Felt Like Love and Stray Dogs are also excellent. So that's six excellent movies in the first four months of the year (not counting things I haven't seen but presume I will enjoy, such as The Lego Movie), and for me, only two major wipeouts (Noah and Joe). Pretty solid ratio, especially with The Dance of Reality, Night Moves and The Immigrant coming up next month.

This is specious logic at best, and possibly evidence of ugly inner currents.
    So I see Singer come to a screening with a posse of underage boys and I have "ugly inner currents?" Please. I know I was assuming, but considering what I knew EVEN then, it's not like I was going to assume they were ALL his nephews or whatever.
    Last edited by tyles; 04-22-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Theme night listing:

The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

So far worst movie of 2014 has to be 300: Rise of An Empire. From a real weak story with no character development and does that slow down thing way to much it was just bad. It has plenty of violence and sword play and blood with pretty cool effects but that can only last so long before it gets tiring with nothing backing it up. I'm glad I only paid three dollars for that because I would have been really angry if I paid anymore. Hell I still left thinking I got ripped off paying the 3 dollars.
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

I think the Wolf of Wall Street will be the Scarface for the Millennial Generation.

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    why? I dont want to backread. Give a definitive answer as to why thats lame.
    Just because.

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    So I see Singer come to a screening with a posse of underage boys and I have "ugly inner currents?" Please. I know I was assuming, but considering what I knew EVEN then, it's not like I was going to assume they were ALL his nephews or whatever.
    What exactly did you "know" even then? What does anyone "know" even now? Judging solely by what you said - you encountered a gay man traveling with an entourage of teenagers and made up your mind "right then and there" that he was fucking them. Unless you elided an anecdote in which you saw him sexing them up, that says more about you than it does about him.

I went to a screening of Locke tonight. It's not all that great. There's nothing wrong with it per se, but after seeing crazy positive reviews from critics using words that you would all laugh at me for using I expected more...after all, those same critics said similar things about Under the Skin and were spot on. Although I can only blame myself for not seeing a laughably generic shit phrase like "Reverberates with the power of big, universal themes" (wtf does that even mean) as a red flag. Tom Hardy's good in it. But it's not a thriller as it's been advertised as. So go into it knowing that, if you must go see it. Definitely watch one of the films Gabe recommended before this though if you haven't seen anything recently.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

What exactly did you "know" even then? What does anyone "know" even now? Judging solely by what you said - you encountered a gay man traveling with an entourage of teenagers and made up your mind "right then and there" that he was fucking them. Unless you elided an anecdote in which you saw him sexing them up, that says more about you than it does about him.
    First of all, I love how you are trying to paint me as some sort of homophobe, which, if you knew me IRL, you'd know wasn't true at all. Should I have just rephrased what I said into "I saw Brian Singer with a posse REALLY young-looking boys and it creeped me out?" Sure, but let's make one thing perfectly clear: it doesn't matter if Brian Singer is gay man with a posse of young boys or if he was a straight man with a posse of young girls that were picked up in the afternoon from Sacred Heart - both scenarios are pretty suspect and a red flag was raised in my mind.

Sure, I could be totally wrong. I mean, I am young looking for my age and I was mistaken/accused of being a teenager throughout my twenties, so maybe they were just EXCEPTIONALLY young-looking for their age. Perhaps they were indeed underage, but Brian Singer was being a totally cool nice guy and after the screening party let out at 11pm, he gathered them all up and they all went for ice cream before having back at their parents houses before mignight so they'd get enough sleep for school the next day. I wish I could believe that... I really do.

Now that I have said that, does anyone thing Singer's career will recover from these allegations, or will it damage his career, even if he is exonerated, like Fatty Arbuckle?

Theme night listing:

shut up
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

This weekend, I am planning on seeing Under the Skin. I've read the book and wasn't overly impressed, but am willing to give the movie a go. I've heard the movie is either loved or despised. Has anybody here seen it yet and if so, what did you think of it?
    9/18 CHVRCHES @ the Fox Theatre
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Uh yes, several people have discussed on the last 2 pages of this thread.
    last.fm

Masterpiece.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

While not a classic by any means, did enjoy 'The Railway Man' with Colin Firth (of 'The Single Man' and soon to be released 'The Quintessential British Gentleman'). The film's a tribute to the challenges of overcoming psychological battle scars, forgiveness, and forging friendships out of unlikely places. Kidman did some fine acting work as well, especially in the opening scenes, with her true portrayal of an open for human interaction, slightly awkward lonely woman. B- grade.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

I watched 'Mr. Nobody' this weekend. Jared Leto's acting chops have grown exponentially in recent years. The film's themes of choice, technology, and love are all presented very effectively and with beautiful symbolism and imagery.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

Uh yes, several people have discussed on the last 2 pages of this thread.
    Sorry, I ran a search in this thread before asking and the results for "skin," brought up some movie entitled, Mysterious Skin.

I'll flip back a few pages and read what was said.
    9/18 CHVRCHES @ the Fox Theatre
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Mysterious Skin is also a masterpiece, so you should see them both.

Yes, Mysterious Skin is amazing.
    last.fm