Page 1014 of 1030 FirstFirst ... 10091010101110121013101410151016101710181019 ... LastLast
Results 30,391 to 30,420 of 30880

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Olympus Has Fallen was shockingly entertaining. KungFuJoe, you have a different level of appreciation for action and fighting movies than the general moviegoer - one that i share as well. I definitely use a completely different criteria for criticism when I watch action movies.
    Yes. I definitely use a different criteria for criticism when it comes to action movies as well. For the most part the action has to be more coherent than the story for me. Story takes a back seat to the action. Of course, if there's a great script and story than it's even better, but more important than that even are the characters. You need to have strong heroes, ones that you can identify with and root for, and villains.

Edit: That's the basic simple way of explaining it for me. Will I come on here and claim Ninja 2: Shadow of a Tear or Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning as being among the best American action films ever made. No. But are they enjoyable action films? Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Was that the horribly veiled anti-Obama one with the line, "get yo hands off my johdans"?
    I believe that was White House Down, which I haven't seen, with Chaning Tatum and Jamie Fox. Olympus Has Fallen is with Gerard Butler, Morgan Freeman, Aaron Ekhart and Melissa Leo (who is quite remarkable in it). Very easy to confuse the two though.
    Last edited by KungFuJoe; 04-07-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Yes. I definitely use a different criteria for criticism when it comes to action movies as well. For the most part the action has to be more coherent than the story for me. Story takes a back seat to the action. Of course, if there's a great script and story than it's even better, but more important than that even are the characters. You need to have strong heroes, ones that you can identify with and root for, and villains.

Edit: That's the basic simple way of explaining it for me. Will I come on here and claim Ninja 2: Shadow of a Tear or Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning as being among the best American action films ever made. No. But are they enjoyable action films? Sure.
    Your criteria for action films is spot-on; my only objection is when you apply it to David O. Russell movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

last place i'd expect to hear a Stars of the Lid song...

Last edited by Grandma; 04-07-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Your criteria for action films is spot-on; my only objection is when you apply it to David O. Russell movies.
    hahaha fair enough. I honestly am not sure how to explain my David O. Russell fanboydom. I'm not a fan of The Fighter, aside from a couple of the performances. American Hustle I found thoroughly engaging (mainly due to Bale and Adams) and fun. Silver Linings Playbook is about as great a Hollywood romantic comedy as I can ask for. Huckabees and Flirting with Disaster are hilarious to me. Two of my all time favorite comedies. And Three Kings is fantastic, though it's been a long time since I watched it and feel I should re-visit it soon.

And on another note, I'm stoked for Godzila too.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I just rewatched Three Kings this past week and it is indeed still great.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Godzilla is gonna be the best damn movie of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    hahaha fair enough. I honestly am not sure how to explain my David O. Russell fanboydom. I'm not a fan of The Fighter, aside from a couple of the performances. American Hustle I found thoroughly engaging (mainly due to Bale and Adams) and fun. Silver Linings Playbook is about as great a Hollywood romantic comedy as I can ask for. Huckabees and Flirting with Disaster are hilarious to me. Two of my all time favorite comedies. And Three Kings is fantastic, though it's been a long time since I watched it and feel I should re-visit it soon.

And on another note, I'm stoked for Godzila too.
    I also love action films and David O. Russell, but my opinions on Hustle and The Fighter are exactly opposite yours - I found The Fighter completely engaging from start to finish (literally from the opening scene) and I barely put up with Hustle, but loved some of the performances. Go figure.

Flirting With Disaster is underrated. And Silver Linings was the perfect date flick, especially if you have a preference for crazy chicks who like to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I just rewatched Three Kings this past week and it is indeed still great.
    I still believe that the first decade of his career was one big crescendo, each film an improvement on the last and the latter two (Kings and Huckabees) each being among the top films of their respective decades. But The Fighter was mediocre, and the last two were unrepentant dogshit.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

And yes, while Monsters was nothing more than Good For Its Budget in my eyes, I am also excited for Godzilla. The first trailer sold me to the degree that I've ignored all subsequent marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Flirting With Disaster is underrated. And Silver Linings was the perfect date flick, especially if you have a preference for crazy chicks who like to dance.
    It would take a lot of convincing to get me to believe there was a better comedy in the 1990s than Flirting with Disaster. Groundhog Day, maybe? Election?
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    It would take a lot of convincing to get me to believe there was a better comedy in the 1990s than Flirting with Disaster. Groundhog Day, maybe? Election?
    Election maybe. Rushmore. Dazed and Confused? The Big Lebowski.

And for pure laughs.. There's Something About Mary was truly funny. And I say all this film snobbily when I've probably watched "Tommy Boy" as much as any of these films, even Lebowski.

American Movie. And Billy Madison. Goddamnit I still love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I have never heard an audience laugh so loud/long as they did during Ace Ventura. I don't expect I will ever again.
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Election maybe. Rushmore. Dazed and Confused? The Big Lebowski.

And for pure laughs.. There's Something About Mary was truly funny. And I say all this film snobbily when I've probably watched "Tommy Boy" as much as any of these films, even Lebowski.
    Tommy Boy is hilarious, and Elf cracks me up every year. Election was just.. Amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Tommy Boy and Billy Madison over Dumb & Dumer and Hot Shots: Part Deux?

Clerks, Swingers and Austin Powers deserve to be in the discussion too.

Certainly not the funniest movie of the '90s front to back, but this scene always slays me:

10/22 - TV on the Radio - Fonda
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Certainly not the funniest movie of the '90s front to back, but this scene always slays me:

Love that scene.

He's hilarious as the dad...that "Fine. Go. You've stayed your hour." cracks me up.
    Last edited by Listening; 04-08-2014 at 10:50 AM.

I thought of this too when thinking of best comedies from the 90s.

I guess South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut deserves mention as well.

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    So I saw Inside Llewyn Davis the other day and I don't know what to think about it. I absolutely loved the soundtrack and it's probably going to be the first soundtrack for a movie I buy. The movie it self is probably going to have to require a second viewing to make a real opinion of it. While I liked the acting and the overall story I just didn't really like how nothing happens in the movie. I understand it was just a week in his life but I was hoping for something of significance to happen that either makes him better or worse off, not just ending the movie the way it started. It was still worth watching as I did quite enjoy it and was entertaining enough (which I know is contradicting what I previously said) but I really do need to watch it again in when it can be rented to really decide how I feel about it.
    Just watched Inside Llewyn Davis...did not like it.

There were parts I liked (like his audition for Bud Grossman, and Grossman's response to it)...but overall, the music just couldn't make up for what the rest of the film was lacking, IMO.
    Last edited by Listening; 04-08-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Listening View Post
    Just watched Inside Llewyn Davis...did not like it.

There were parts I liked (like his audition for Bud Grossman, and Grossman's response to it)...but overall, the music just couldn't make up for what the rest of the film was lacking, IMO.
    I loved it. But it's definitely an atmospheric film, and it loses some steam as it repeats itself.

It's the kind of movie that if it wasn't Coen Bros, I'd be like "this director kicks ass, I can't wait to see what they do next." And the guy who played Llewyn just absolutely crushed it. He was amazing, and totally made the movie for me.

Two really big 2013 releases recently added to Netflix Instant - Jia Zhangke's A Touch of Sin (finally!) and Claire Denis' massively disturbing Bastards.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Two really big 2013 releases recently added to Netflix Instant - Jia Zhangke's A Touch of Sin (finally!) and Claire Denis' massively disturbing Bastards.
    There was a local screening of A Touch of Sin that I missed...too bad I dropped Netflix Instant. Maybe I'll consider it for a month.

Caught Touch of Sin at the Cinefamily when it was there. Loved it!

Only Lovers Left Alive was quite beautifully wrought. Tilda and Tom were fantastic. It was mostly not silly, which is impressive for a vampire movie. The music was really good, mostly from Jarmusch's band Sqrl.

Also I have realized that I really haven't seen many of his films (only Broken Flowers?) so I am going to rectify that soon, thanks to Netflix.
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Down By Law, Ghost Dog, and Coffee & Cigarettes are fantastic. When I watched Dead Man I hated it, but I am willing to revisit. I need to check out his others as well.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 04-15-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Stranger Than Paradise

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Only Lovers Left Alive
    Down By Law
    Broken Flowers
    Ghost Dog
    The Limits of Control
    Night on Earth
    Mystery Train
    Stranger Than Paradise
    Coffee and Cigarettes
    Dead Man

Of his features, I've only not seen Permanent Vacation, and I've only not enjoyed Dead Man. Like Drinkey, I need to revisit this - I hated it initially, mainly because I saw it at the onset of my Fuck Johnny Depp period, but feel a second try is in order. And yes, Only Lovers Left Alive is possibly his best film.

I loved Captain America-one of the best marvel movies made, in my opinion.
    And am I the only one that liked Monsters?
    It wasn't a great movie, but for a sci fi monster film, it was good.
    I also saw Wolf of Wall Street last weekend for the first time.
    I kind of have mixed feelings about that film..., but overall I enjoyed it.
    Dicaprio and Hill were over the top, superb in it, and if you don't like hill, you sure will like him after watching that.
    I actually thought Wolf of Wall Street had way too much sex scenes in it, just two or three would have been good and to the point.
    (And I usually don't care about that in movies either.)
    You guys can read my movies review here:
    http://wildfiresreviews.blogspot.com...h/label/Movies

A plethora of 2013 films have been added to Netflix Instant recently, many have been discussed in here and all are at least worthy of your time: Short Term 12, Hannah Arendt, Laurence Anyways, hell, even Wrong Cops.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Thanks for that. I've been wanting to see Short Term 12.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."