Page 1027 of 1030 FirstFirst ... 102210231024102510261027102810291030 LastLast
Results 30,781 to 30,810 of 30892

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Jacob's Ladder is A superb film and one of my fave psychological thrillers. So many of those images I watched as a child are forever etched into my head....it's influence is truly felt to this day in film and in video games alike. I'm sure the 'Silent Hill' franchise owes a large debt to its imagery because of it. The demon grind/fucking Jacob's wife on the dancefloor sure was intense for a 9 year old when I first watched it.
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

Yikes. You saw that when you were 9??
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Yikes. You saw that when you were 9??
    yeah :/ ....lol, then again my dad used to rent 'The Nightmare on Elm Street' for my brother and I to watch as kids
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

Quote Originally Posted by ballroomdancer22 View Post
    yeah :/ ....lol, then again my dad used to rent 'The Nightmare on Elm Street' for my brother and I to watch as kids
    you and I grew up in the same era. Trips to the video store always included a comedy (usually some sexed up "Last American Virgin/Revenge of the Nerds" awkwardness to watch with the parents) plus an action (anything Stallone, Norris, Bronson, or Schwarzenagger) or horror (bloodier the better) movie. Action if dad was home because he wanted to see someone kick ass and not take names, horror if I got to stay up late on the weekend.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    10/31 Yelle@Fonda - 11/3 Galantis/Booka Shade@Mayan - 11/8 Digitalism@El Rey - 11/14 DFA1979@Regent - 11/15 The Presets@Regent - 11/16 Brazilian Girls@Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    you and I grew up in the same era. Trips to the video store always included a comedy (usually some sexed up "Last American Virgin/Revenge of the Nerds" awkwardness to watch with the parents) plus an action (anything Stallone, Norris, Bronson, or Schwarzenagger) or horror (bloodier the better) movie. Action if dad was home because he wanted to see someone kick ass and not take names, horror if I got to stay up late on the weekend.
    Did we just become friends? Ha. It was always awkward watching any comedic sexed up scene, around my dad in particular although at that age it was definitely a confusing mix of emotions that wouldn't really form into the all out horniness present in my teens.

Also, don't forget the Van Damme action gems lumped into the dad pick at the video store. My earliest memories of quality time with the old timer was my brother and I cozying up with my pops for a back to back viewing of 'Bloodsport' and 'Kickboxer'
    Last edited by ballroomdancer22; 08-26-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Van Damme! He was definitely in the rotation.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    10/31 Yelle@Fonda - 11/3 Galantis/Booka Shade@Mayan - 11/8 Digitalism@El Rey - 11/14 DFA1979@Regent - 11/15 The Presets@Regent - 11/16 Brazilian Girls@Roxy

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

my parents took me to see "disclosure" and i sat in between them. so awkward.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I can't remember if the first R-rated film (that my folks took me to) was Braveheart or Vampire in Brooklyn, but it was either of those 2.

I watched Thelma & Louise for the first time last night and that is one extremely overrated piece of shit of a movie. A 2 hour long Melissa Etheridge music video with no actual Melissa Etheridge music.
    Last edited by Grandma; 08-26-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Did somebody trick you into thinking it was a Japanese monster movie?
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

No. Somebody told me Ridley Scott directed it and I still get a rude horn from Geena Davis so I gave it a shot.

I remember my parents letting me watch the climax of Aliens, when Ripley takes the elevator down to rescue the girl. I think I was 9 or 10. I remember thinking it was all gross (especially Bishop puking that white stuff and blowing himself apart), but COOL.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

My parents took me out to see Basic Instinct when I was 10. We had the birds and the bees talk when we got home.

My dad was a huge Stern fan, so he took me to see Private Parts when I was fairly young. And showed me The Shining at a young age too.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    My parents took me out to see Basic Instinct when I was 10. We had the birds and the bees talk when we got home.
    Did you also have a nice talk about stabbing people with ice picks?
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

The first R film I saw was definitely Fargo. Parents made us cover our eyes during the sex scene but we were allowed to watch the wood-chipper scene. Afterwards, my mom remarked that it would have made more sense to switch that editing.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I saw The Exorcist when I was around 8. Shit had me bawling. I had definitely been watching Robocop, Predator, Alien, and Terminator before that. I was definitely around 6 when I told my parents I wanted to name my in utero sister after my favorite movie at the time, Terminator. My parents obviously didn't supervise me well, so it's hard to pinpoint my first R movie.
    Last edited by stinkbutt; 08-26-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i wasn't really censored either. i remember running out of the theatre crying during the intro credits of terminator 2 when the skull is in the fire. the only movie my mom ever got mad about was my dad taking me to see dazed and confused. i think she knew how i would turn out before i did.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    My dad took me to see a movie called Smooth Talk when I was about 14. It was with Laura Dern and was all about her characters' sexual awakening, and in the end she gets taken advantage of by some slimy older guy. I think he thought of it as After School Special lesson type material but at the time I was mortified.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

So, Boyhood. Wow. If there was an award for pure craft, it would be hard to argue against this being a near masterwork. But unfortunately, that's not reality. It's funny that the main character mentions Bright Eyes at one point, because I imagine the main divide between those who love it and those who don't is precisely a band like that - if you're ok with completely overly zealous and nauseatingly eager music that is always trying to be so fucking important and meaningful, then you'll likely be onboard with this film. But, if you're the type of person who is really turned off by all of those attributes and can barely get to the end of a Japandroids song without rolling your eyes, it's possible you'll see this film as being laughably trite. Most of the great coming-of-age films have all felt natural, and this feels completely forced. Not to mention the political shit that is so ham-fisted and un-vague that even Michael Moore probably blushed. It's not bad overall, like some have mentioned before it doesn't feel as long as its running time and it is indeed pretty spectacular to watch a character grow up over the course of a movie. It's just way too full of cringeworthy acting, American Pie-esque musical interludes, and strange tone to really pull of what so many have been claiming it does.
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace
    11/14 - Flying Lotus - Wiltern (?)
    11/22 - The Dream Syndicate - Echoplex (?)
    12/03 - Jonathan Richman - Bootleg (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Yeah the music was really bad in that movie. Who opens their masterpiece with a Coldplay song? No one.

I bet Coldplay did.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    So, Boyhood. Wow. If there was an award for pure craft, it would be hard to argue against this being a near masterwork. But unfortunately, that's not reality. It's funny that the main character mentions Bright Eyes at one point, because I imagine the main divide between those who love it and those who don't is precisely a band like that - if you're ok with completely overly zealous and nauseatingly eager music that is always trying to be so fucking important and meaningful, then you'll likely be onboard with this film. But, if you're the type of person who is really turned off by all of those attributes and can barely get to the end of a Japandroids song without rolling your eyes, it's possible you'll see this film as being laughably trite. Most of the great coming-of-age films have all felt natural, and this feels completely forced. Not to mention the political shit that is so ham-fisted and un-vague that even Michael Moore probably blushed. It's not bad overall, like some have mentioned before it doesn't feel as long as its running time and it is indeed pretty spectacular to watch a character grow up over the course of a movie. It's just way too full of cringeworthy acting, American Pie-esque musical interludes, and strange tone to really pull of what so many have been claiming it does.
    I liked the part with the Obama signs. It reminded me of that time before the 2008 election when everyone was so excited about Obama, remember that? Man, we are way past that now. I liked the talks between the dad and the kids and how realistically awkward they were and how genuine.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I got an AMC email with a code for (up to) 4 FREE tickets for Begin Again. It's only good this weekend, 8/29 to 9/1. Anyone plan on seeing this movie and want me to forward the email?

Stars Mark Ruffalo, Keira Knightly and Adam Levine, from the producers of Once.

"This is a soul-stirring comedy about what happens when lost souls meet and make beautiful music together. Gretta and her long-time boyfriend Dave are college sweethearts and songwriting partners who decamp for New York when he lands a deal with a major label. But the trappings of his new-found fame soon tempt Dave to stray, and a reeling, lovelorn Gretta is left on her own. Her world takes a turn for the better when Dan, a disgraced record-label exec, stumbles upon her performing on an East Village stage and is immediately captivated by her raw talent. From this chance encounter emerges an enchanting portrait of a mutually transformative collaboration, set to the soundtrack of a summer in New York City."

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Forced is a good word for it. The waiter scene at the end perhaps the best example of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Listening View Post
    Forced is a good word for it. The waiter scene at the end perhaps the best example of it.
    Yep.
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Watched this over the weekend. Completely insane. And William Hurt's debut to boot!

11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I absolutely love that movie.
    last.fm

My first viewings of Scanners and Altered States were both done in the same sitting back to back, with Altered States being the one that took days to settle in afterwards. If it hasn't been discussed yet (it probably has), Ken Russell's The Devils is even more fucked up and should be required viewing.

Selected Blu-Ray entries in the Cohen Film Collection are now on sale by the way
    Last edited by Grandma; 09-03-2014 at 07:46 PM.

My dad and I are watching The Big Lebowski and drinking white russians, because sometimes that's the only thing you can do on a Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    My first viewings of Scanners and Altered States were both done in the same sitting back to back, with Altered States being the one that took days to settle in afterwards. If it hasn't been discussed yet (it probably has), Ken Russell's The Devils is even more fucked up and should be required viewing.
    Will seek out The Devils asap, thanks.
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare