Page 1023 of 1028 FirstFirst ... 1018101910201021102210231024102510261027 ... LastLast
Results 30,661 to 30,690 of 30838

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Also, there's really no way to say this without sounding pretentious (especially with this crowd), but it was obvious from the trailer that this was a pretty abstract art film. One that was meant to be experienced more than anything else. If you really need answers Packer's right about elephant man and the guy on the motorcycle was another alien that was more or less keeping an eye on her, but that doesn't even matter that much. Art films aren't meant to be "solved", and this is no exception.
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Plus, boobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    And what the fuck was with that ending? Why? is what I kept asking myself the entire film. Why was this happening?
    The ending is about the longest standing of human traditions: if you can't screw it, kill it.

Hah, I just watched Under The Skin tonight. I loved it! Not really too much to say except that it's definitely a movie that will stay with me for a while.

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/7 Ought @ Eagle Rock Center For The Arts
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Heads up. Both The Immigrant and The Master are now available on Netflix.

I absolutely loved Under the Skin. Definitely one of the best of the year so far for me. The music/score is fucking unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    The music/score is fucking unreal.
    It's been stuck in my head for days

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/7 Ought @ Eagle Rock Center For The Arts
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

I know I'm completely behind but I just watched Her and I absolutely loved it. Brilliant. Joaquin is amazing of course but Amy Adams also impresses me every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Yesterday, I tried watching Under the Skin, granted I was distracted, but my feeling is this movie is best appreciated by those sequestered in the theater. The book ain't all that either.
    9/18 CHVRCHES @ the Fox Theatre
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

So I was convinced to go see Godzilla at the three dollar theater this previous weekend. It wasn't as stupid as I thought it was going to be but I just don't like what they did with Godzilla the monster. I mean the story line was your typical monster movie and all. I just feel like they made Godzilla to much of a good guy. To me Godzilla does save the day but at the same time he really doesn't care what damage he does to humans. I don't know I just thought it wasn't the best representation of Godzilla.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Has anyone seen Dawn of the Planet of the Apes yet? Thoughts?
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

The Way Way Back. Good summer movie.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Has anyone seen Dawn of the Planet of the Apes yet? Thoughts?
    It was great, but the trailer makes it seem that Gary Oldman is the main human character. He is far from, and is barely in the film.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It was great, but the trailer makes it seem that Gary Oldman is the main human character. He is far from, and is barely in the film.
    This is why I have stopped watching trailers for movies I know I want to see. I haven't seen anything from this movie yet at all. I need to get on that.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I had only heard that the special effects were supposed to be terrific, so I'd love to see it on the big screen.

Particle Fever on Netflix is a baddass documentary on the CERN LHC.

The Lego Movie seems to have been almost universally praised, but what I haven't seen mentioned is how insanely trippy of a movie it is. I'm not a drug person, but I enjoy watching movies with a few strong drinks from time to time and this worked wonderfully in that regard.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The Lego movie was great till the ending.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 10/03 - 10/05/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the ending to Lego Movie either. I understand what they were going for, but it really took me out of the movie. The whole "it was all in the character's head" scenario rarely gets pulled off without feeling cheap.

Akron finally got an independent film theater! Living here is just a degree less hellish now! So yeah, I got to see Under The Skin on the big screen and I'm glad I did. It's been 2 or 3 years since I've seen a movie in the theater. There were parts of that film that were disturbing on a such a visceral level to compare to Eraserhead and The Shining. It's going to take a lot of time to unpack everything going on there, but the experience of watching it was stunning and unique. Some absolutely incredible pairings of image and sound throughout the movie. Even if you hate it or don't get it, you probably won't ever forget it.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    The Lego Movie seems to have been almost universally praised, but what I haven't seen mentioned is how insanely trippy of a movie it is. I'm not a drug person, but I enjoy watching movies with a few strong drinks from time to time and this worked wonderfully in that regard.
    Most kids movies, especially animated ones, come off a bit druggy when enhanced by adult party favors. It's the only way I can manage as many as I watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the ending to Lego Movie either. I understand what they were going for, but it really took me out of the movie. The whole "it was all in the character's head" scenario rarely gets pulled off without feeling cheap.
    The ending was expected, so it wasn't that annoying to me, but the "it was all in the character's head" doesn't work in this storyline. The Lego world is not just in the kids imagination.

Finally watched Rachel Getting Married with a few friends tonight. Everyone was cooing madly about what a masterfully directed film it was. I, uhh, I can't say I share that sentiment. I'm kind of shocked that it was such a well received film. I found it insufferably dull and ponderous. And about an hour too long. God, the United Colors of Benetton/UN interracial wedding with bridesmaids in saris and Ganesh on the cake (and a terrible actor as the groom) and seemingly every world music musician in the greater Connecticut area playing on and on and on. What a turgid Robert Altman impression. Demme hasn't made a decent film since Silence of the Lambs.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    God, the United Colors of Benetton/UN interracial wedding with bridesmaids in saris and Ganesh on the cake (and a terrible actor as the groom)
    bro do u even TV on the Radio

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

He's too busy listening to Gaga on repeat.

Thought he looked familiar! I suppose if you're into that non-actor, no craft thing he was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Finally watched Rachel Getting Married with a few friends tonight. Everyone was cooing madly about what a masterfully directed film it was. I, uhh, I can't say I share that sentiment. I'm kind of shocked that it was such a well received film. I found it insufferably dull and ponderous. And about an hour too long. God, the United Colors of Benetton/UN interracial wedding with bridesmaids in saris and Ganesh on the cake (and a terrible actor as the groom) and seemingly every world music musician in the greater Connecticut area playing on and on and on. What a turgid Robert Altman impression.
    Anne Hathaway was great in that.

Speaking of movies that are 'insufferably dull and ponderous', I watched Only God Forgives last night.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    AI got to see Under The Skin on the big screen and I'm glad I did. It's been 2 or 3 years since I've seen a movie in the theater. There were parts of that film that were disturbing on a such a visceral level to compare to Eraserhead and The Shining. It's going to take a lot of time to unpack everything going on there, but the experience of watching it was stunning and unique. Some absolutely incredible pairings of image and sound throughout the movie. Even if you hate it or don't get it, you probably won't ever forget it.
    I watched it last night and today I'm having trouble thinking about anything else. Sexy Beast was great but this film is on another level. I feel like that opening scene was something Kubrick would have been proud to call his own and it just never let up. And Scarlett Johansson, wow. Just wow. Between her disembodied work in Her and the physicality of this performance I'm starting to think she's capable of anything. Except maybe a British accent, but even that made sense in the context of the story.

Anyone care to fill me in on Birth? How does that compare to Glazer's other two movies?

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Anyone care to fill me in on Birth? How does that compare to Glazer's other two movies?
    I'll second this. The only one of his I haven't seen.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I LOVED Birth. It's actually my favorite of Glazer's films. It's a wonderfully moody, atmospheric and stylish film. It's part horror, part supernatural thriller, part psychological melodrama. At the center of the film is a pretty remarkable performance by Nicole Kidman - maybe her best. You've probably read about this scene at the Met Opera which consists of a 2-minute close up on Kidman's face as she sits in the audience of a Wagner opera and quietly wrestles with a torrent of emotions. In the wrong actress' hands it could have been a ridiculous, indulgent moment, but with Kidman in the seat, Glazer created a stunning coupe de theatre. On paper, the film's premise is decidedly silly, but with Glazer's direction and Kidman's central performance it's absolutely spellbinding. The film also offers wonderful supporting performances from Lauren Bacall and, yes, Anne Heche.
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 07-27-2014 at 12:17 PM.