Page 1022 of 1028 FirstFirst ... 10171018101910201021102210231024102510261027 ... LastLast
Results 30,631 to 30,660 of 30838

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Boyhood is a treat of a masterpiece.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

KumgFuJoe: recent graduate of the TallGuy Academy for Vapid Hyperbole
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by fikus222 View Post
    I'm surprised by the reviews for Snowpiercer, the trailer makes the movie look like total cheese to me.
    I found the movie to be a pretty mixed bag. There was some cool set-pieces and the film had a strong pulse whenever Tilda Swinton was on screen, but Chris Evans was just horrible. Admittedly he had the worst character to work with but horrible nonetheless.

Yeahhhhh sorry to burst everyone's bubble but Snowpiercer was meh. Fun at points but overall.... eh.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I have to be something of a bubble-bursting asshole as well, on both Snowpiercer and Boyhood. Overall, I would give them both positive grades, because their innards outpace their exteriors - Snowpiercer is 17 different kinds of dumb on the outside, but the parable has teeth; and Boyhood is.....well, I bemoan its shortcomings with spoilers here. But neither would even crack my top 10 of the year today, and I've only seen 22 total new releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Clearly, I didn't graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I have to be something of a bubble-bursting asshole as well, on both Snowpiercer and Boyhood. Overall, I would give them both positive grades, because their innards outpace their exteriors - Snowpiercer is 17 different kinds of dumb on the outside, but the parable has teeth; and Boyhood is.....well, I bemoan its shortcomings with spoilers here. But neither would even crack my top 10 of the year today, and I've only seen 22 total new releases.
    Don't worry guys, you're not bursting anyone's bubble. I enjoy and appreciate films on my own merit.

Snowpiercer is the type of genre film I totally eat up. It deserves some criticism to be sure and I wouldn't expect everyone to like it, but for my money it is fantastic. I'd put it in the same category as Looper, which I know many here didn't like as well. As for Chris Evans, I like him and didn't see anything wrong with his performance aside from his flubbed speech in the 3rd act. Overall I wouldn't say it's Joon-Ho Bong's best film, but it's still a great piece of cinema.

As for Boyhood, I noticed it shortcomings as well and was ready to forgive them even before the ending of the film, but those last few lines summed it up perfectly for me. I mean how can a film this ambitious not have shortcomings? It's pretty miraculous they were able to pull it off. The film as a whole definitely struck a cord with me and was one of the more emotional films I've seen in a while. I didn't go in expecting a Malick film and would put it next to a film like Margaret which I'm not so sure was any more "interesting as cinema".

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I watched Stephen Chow's Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons and I really, really liked it. It does suffer from some bad CGI and and uneven pacing, but it's wildly entertaining. There are some absolutely outstanding action sequences and quite a bit of really funny bits, as well as just purely good storytelling. It seems to be overall a pretty faithful adaption to the original story as well. I really hope they are able to follow through with a sequel.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I watched Stephen Chow's Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons and I really, really liked it. It does suffer from some bad CGI and and uneven pacing, but it's wildly entertaining. There are some absolutely outstanding action sequences and quite a bit of really funny bits, as well as just purely good storytelling. It seems to be overall a pretty faithful adaption to the original story as well. I really hope they are able to follow through with a sequel.
    Agree with all of this. The movie is a great deal of fun, but yes it's CGI is really bad in parts.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    As for Boyhood, I noticed it shortcomings as well and was ready to forgive them even before the ending of the film, but those last few lines summed it up perfectly for me. I mean how can a film this ambitious not have shortcomings? It's pretty miraculous they were able to pull it off. The film as a whole definitely struck a cord with me and was one of the more emotional films I've seen in a while. I didn't go in expecting a Malick film and would put it next to a film like Margaret which I'm not so sure was any more "interesting as cinema".
    I don't disagree with any of that aside from the last bit re: Margaret (it was far more visually accomplished than anything Linklater has made outside of Slacker and his rotoscope films). I don't think I'm expressing my sentiments properly, because ultimately I do think Boyhood is a film that needs to be seen/considered - and it feels like a better film today than it did yesterday. It's just that the things it does right have been covered (every) elsewhere, so I don't need to repeat them.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by fikus222 View Post
    I'm surprised by the reviews for Snowpiercer, the trailer makes the movie look like total cheese to me.
    That's what someone else told me as well when I first brought up having seen the movie and I was surprised. Then I went and watched the trailer and had the same opinion.

Some of the satire in the film, like the classroom scene, is quite over the top...and doesn't work in a trailer, and is a little uneven in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Clearly, I didn't graduate.

Don't worry guys, you're not bursting anyone's bubble. I enjoy and appreciate films on my own merit.

Snowpiercer is the type of genre film I totally eat up. It deserves some criticism to be sure and I wouldn't expect everyone to like it, but for my money it is fantastic. I'd put it in the same category as Looper, which I know many here didn't like as well. As for Chris Evans, I like him and didn't see anything wrong with his performance aside from his flubbed speech in the 3rd act. Overall I wouldn't say it's Joon-Ho Bong's best film, but it's still a great piece of cinema.

I had a similar opinion of Chris Evans in the movie. There's a particular part of the speech that I thought was a real low point...both in the script and in the film. But for the most part I had no problem with him in the film.

Boyhood though, for me, was underwhelming to be honest. I saw it a while ago and it just never really connected with me. And some of the film, like Roger Clemens, didn't age well. And I get it, when you commit to film over a 12 year period, that's gonna happen...not everything ages well, that's life. But then I guess that's part of my problem with the film, once you get past the effort and commitment it took to make a film like it, I'm not sure the rest of it quite measures up.
    Last edited by Listening; 07-14-2014 at 11:23 AM.

I don't disagree with any of that aside from the last bit re: Margaret (it was far more visually accomplished than anything Linklater has made outside of Slacker and his rotoscope films). I don't think I'm expressing my sentiments properly, because ultimately I do think Boyhood is a film that needs to be seen/considered - and it feels like a better film today than it did yesterday. It's just that the things it does right have been covered (every) elsewhere, so I don't need to repeat them.
    Fair enough. If anything, I need to go re watch Margaret now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I got around to watching We Need To Talk About Kevin last night and I am absolutely traumatized. i can't get it out of my head. i haven't experienced such a deeply disturbing, affecting film in quite a while. It's masterfully crafted, and Tilda Swinton's performance is brilliant. i don't think I'll have any desire to watch it again any time soon though. Sometimes I forget that movies can have this kind of emotional effect on me.
    I finally watched We Need To Talk About Kevin this past weekend because I was in the mood for some Tilda Swinton. I did notice that sometimes Kevin seemed more like a "normal" disturbed boy, and other times he seemed like he was put on earth just to torment Swinton's character. The boys who played both young and teenage Kevin were very convincingly creepy. What a terrifying movie. The mom also seemed resigned to accepting whatever guilt anyone would heap upon her, whether it be broken eggs or an unprovoked slap in the face, and of course she stays in the same town where everything happened.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

The thing to keep in mind with We Need To Talk About Kevin is that its perspective is 100% subjective - the whole film is taking place within Tilda's point of view. That helped me forgive some of the more histrionic moments.

That movie stayed with me for days. I love movies that do that to me. I had a similar experience after watching Melancholia.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Now that it's a little past the halfway mark of the year, what are some of your guys' favorites of 2014 so far?

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/7 Ought @ Eagle Rock Center For The Arts
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Grand Budapest Hotel. What a wonderful movie.
    9/27 - Simian Mobile Disco - Mezzanine
    10/2 - Elton John - SAP Center
    10/3-10/5 - Hardly Strictly Bluegrass - GGP
    10/4 - DJ Shadow + Cut Chemist - Mezzanine
    10/6 - Kasabian + Bo Ningen - Fox
    10/21 - Melvins + Le Butcherettes - GAMH
    11/1 - Hard Day of the Dead - Fairplex
    4/17-4/19 - Coachella weekend 2

Grand Budapest Hotel was tops for me until I saw Life Itself last weekend. It's a beautiful tribute to Ebert's life and work, but it's also incredibly harrowing when it focuses on his cancer battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Under the Skin and Nymphomaniac are my two favorite films of 2014 so far. Night Moves, Only Lovers Left Alive, Ida and The Lego Movie are also on the list.

Wow, I absolutely agree with your top two, Gabe. I need to see Only Lovers Left Alive.

Watched Snowpiercer last night...Did I apparently not pay attention to the part where they state "WHY" they're on a damn train forever? I thought it was good at some levels, other parts of the movie seemed to depend too much on the viewer accepting what was being thrown out at you.

**Spoiler,
    So are the little asian girl and black boy supposed to repopulate the world in that last scene?

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Have you seen Boyhood yet? Because if you have, and as a result think KungFuJoe's response is ridiculous, then that's fine. But if you're just saying that and don't have an informed opinion of it, that's a pretty baseless and dumbheaded dig. Especially since I've seen at least a dozen reviews that have used similar words, it really is being received incredibly positively.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Recently rewatched 'Boyz in the Hood' on Netflix. My god how that movie has not aged well and the "acting" is just horrid in parts. I have always been a bigger fan of a film that possibly benefited from the success of 'BITH' in 'Menace 2 Society' despite the former getting most accolades, I felt like the Hughes Brothers did a better job at the helm than Singleton but it's hard to fathom how Zingleton, at age 24 got a best director nod at the Academy Awards for his work. To this day still the youngest director to get nominated, a full 2 years younger than Orson Welles for 'Citizen Kane'
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    I found the movie to be a pretty mixed bag. There was some cool set-pieces and the film had a strong pulse whenever Tilda Swinton was on screen.
    These are pretty much my thoughts on the movie exactly. Tilda Swinton was a ton of fun in the film and her scene's were, easily, the best and most memorable of the film. I didn't think Chris Evans was bad, but his character wasn't given a lot to work with. I also thought the end was stupid. Overall, a fun watch, but I'm not writing home about it.

Under the Skin and Nymphomaniac are my two favorite films of 2014 so far.
    Woah. What?... Why? I am genuinely curious here. I watched the film the other day and I just... Why?. Nothing happens the entire film. Who was the guy on the motorcycle? Why was the baby on beach thing included in the film at all? How did the dude with the fucked up face get free? Why did she let him free? What did the motorcycle dude do with him? And what the fuck was with that ending? Why? is what I kept asking myself the entire film. Why was this happening? I thought these things would amount to something in the end. But, nope. Sure, it was beautifully shot and there is probably some deep meaning to what happened in the film. But seriously... favourite of the year. Once again... Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Has anyone seen The Bunnyman Massacres? It's deeply memorable and deeply terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

2 hours of my life wasted on Inside Llewyn Davis. I've seen plenty of movies where the main character is an insufferable prick. But an insufferable prick who's a folk singer? UNFORGIVABLE.

John Goodman's character joking about Llewyn's partner killing himself was a very Randy-board moment and probably my favorite scene, but even he got annoying. btw, I don't really like folk music.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

I LOOOOVED the folk music. Great movie if just for that. I need to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrank View Post
    Watched Snowpiercer last night...Did I apparently not pay attention to the part where they state "WHY" they're on a damn train forever? I thought it was good at some levels, other parts of the movie seemed to depend too much on the viewer accepting what was being thrown out at you.

**Spoiler,
    So are the little asian girl and black boy supposed to repopulate the world in that last scene?
    Come on with the spoiler. Put it in clear text or something.

They need to be on the train because humankind sent some shit up in the sky to fix global warming but it ended up causing a terrible ice age and someone made a perpetual engine on this train which is the only spot where people could live in some sort of "comfort".

That said, I enjoyed the film and I would put it in my top ten so far this year, but I haven't seen a ton of 2014 movies so I don't think it will stay on the list by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Woah. What?... Why? I am genuinely curious here. I watched the film the other day and I just... Why?. Nothing happens the entire film. Who was the guy on the motorcycle? Why was the baby on beach thing included in the film at all? How did the dude with the fucked up face get free? Why did she let him free? What did the motorcycle dude do with him? And what the fuck was with that ending? Why? is what I kept asking myself the entire film. Why was this happening? I thought these things would amount to something in the end. But, nope. Sure, it was beautifully shot and there is probably some deep meaning to what happened in the film. But seriously... favourite of the year. Once again... Why?
    The reply to each of those questions can be covered in one sentence: because it's an original, complex, mysterious, haunting, savagely beautiful and deeply original examination of life on this planet.

She let elephant man free because she began to sympathize with human life.