Page 1020 of 1028 FirstFirst ... 10151016101710181019102010211022102310241025 ... LastLast
Results 30,571 to 30,600 of 30839

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

I had a friend who worked in a movie theater who was learning to attach trailers to film prints. His first go at it resulted in attaching the trailer for Ravenous to the Rugrats Movie.

That didn't go over so well.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    EXACTLY. While most films are either ultra-romanticizing or cute-ifying relationships, or culling them from tough circumstances and selling that as "love", this movie says "hey, this relationship is for real" - and who cares if one of the participants is totally NOT real? It's about the struggle we have to be in love with someone else despite our flaws and expectations AND their flaws and expectations. If you've never had a true love relationship with someone that challenged you, it would certainly seem like claptrap. Or if you're the kind of nitwit who thinks you're never to blame for a relationship's failures. But if you've fought hard for someone you love while fighting against your personal emotional walls and intellectual hangups, you should see some of that mirrored in Her. I loved it, and I wasn't in the "Spike Jonze is a genius so I have to love this" group at all.
    I know I am late to this discussion and you probably have discussed all of this already, but I have to interject. I can appreciate the uniqueness of the film for it's mise-en-scene, but the storyline and character development felt annoyingly contrived. The relationship was a total objectification of HER. If you guys think that is romantic you must be as sensitive and misdirected as Twombley. (Even his name is irritating)

Oh my God, i LOVE Ravenous! I saw it popped up on Netflix last week and was trying to tell Heather about it. I saw it in the the theater, and it was especially nuts at the time when Guy Pierce, Robert Carlyle, and David Arquette were all legitimate movie stars. It's such a great crazy movie.
    It would be one thing if it was some kind of little known art house flick, but I clearly recall seeing commercials on TV for it back when I was in college. Like, network TV. I can't even imagine.
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

What does that even mean? You guys should make out already.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

James Cameron Explains How He Wrote the 3 'Avatar' Sequels Simultaneously

Ever since Avatar broke box office records during its theatrical release, fans have been looking forward to a follow-up for this adventure set in the fictional world of Pandora. Instead of one sequel, we're getting three, with Avatar 2 set for release in December 2016, followed by Avatar 3 and Avatar 4 in 2017 and 2018, all of which will be shot simultaneously. Director James Cameron made an appearance at the Hero Complex Film Festival over the weekend, where he explained the "parallel process" of writing all three scripts at the same time, with co-writers Josh Friedman (War of the Worlds), the writing team of Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) and Shane Salerno (Savages) for these highly-anticipated follow-ups. Take a look at what he had to say about this unique writing process, which he compared to a television show's writers room.

"We tried an experiment. We set ourselves a challenge of writing three films at the same time. And I could certainly write any one of them but to write three in some reasonable amount of time - we wanted to shoot them together so we couldn't start one until all three scripts were done and approved. So I knew I was going to have to "parallel process" which meant I would have to work with other writers. And the best experience I had working with other writers was in television when I did Dark Angel. The television room is a highly collaborative, fun experience.

So we put together three teams, one for each script. The teams consist of me and another writer on each one of the three [films]. So I'm across all the films and then each one of them would have their own individual script they were responsible for. But what we did that was unique was we sat in the writing room for five months, eight hours a day, and we worked out every beat of the story across all three films so it all connects as one, sort of, three film saga. And I didn't tell them which one was going to be there's individually to write until the last day. So everyone was equally invested, story wise, in all three films.

So, for example, the guy that got movie three, which is middle one of this new trilogy, he now knows exactly what preceded and what follows out of what he's writing at any given moment. We all consider that to be a really exciting, creative and groundbreaking experiment in screenwriting. I don't know if that necessarily yields great scripts but it certainly worked for us as a process to get our minds around this kind of epic with all these new creatures, environments and characters and all that.

Cause the first thing I did was sat for a year and wrote 1500 pages of notes of the world and the cultures and the different clans and different animals and different biomes and so on. And had a lot of loose thematic stuff that ran through that but I didn't (have) a concrete story. I wanted to approach it more like, 'Guys we're going to adapt a novel or series of novels.' Because I felt that kind of detail, even if movies can't ever be that detailed - it can be visually detailed, it can't be that detailed in terms of character and culture. But you always get this tip of the iceberg kind of thing. You sense it's there off camera or in the past of the moment that you're seeing. So I felt that was the way to do it."
    Production is scheduled to take place in New Zealand, with shooting set to begin in October.

Avatar was released December 18th, 2009 and stars Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Joel Moore, Giovanni Ribisi, Michelle Rodriguez, Laz Alonso. The film is directed by James Cameron.

Avatar 2 comes to theaters November 2016 and stars Stephen Lang, Zoe Saldana, Sam Worthington. The film is directed by James Cameron.
    Avatar 3 comes to theaters November 2017 and stars Stephen Lang, Zoe Saldana, Sam Worthington. The film is directed by James Cameron.
    Avatar 4 comes to theaters November 2018 and stars Zoe Saldana, Sam Worthington, Stephen Lang. The film is directed by James Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    It would be one thing if it was some kind of little known art house flick, but I clearly recall seeing commercials on TV for it back when I was in college. Like, network TV. I can't even imagine.
    Yeah. This move is fantastic. If I ever ran a theater, the first thing I would do is set up a double billing of this and Pontypool.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    Yeah. This move is fantastic. If I ever ran a theater, the first thing I would do is set up a double billing of this and Pontypool.
    I would go to that. Those are both films that stayed with me long after viewing them.

Just watched Breaking the Waves... First Von Trier. God damn. My body hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Just watched Breaking the Waves... First Von Trier. God damn. My body hurts.
    Oh man. Excellent choice for your maiden voyage.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

That is one fucked up movie. I adore Emily Watson.

Ravenous is fantastic and incredibly underrated, 1999 really was fucking incredible.

I watched ...And Everything Is Going Fine and Gray's Anatomy yesterday back to back. Got take out and decided to cleanse the pallet by viewing How High for the 137th time and finally noticed this...

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I caught Godzilla last night and was quite impressed. Sure, the human characters are mostly lemons (mainly Aaron Taylor-Jarhead), but this was an improvement over Monsters, in my view, because that film based its entire story around its lemon-humans; Godzilla at least has enough sense to frequently identify them as a non-factor (or in extreme cases, an active irritant) in the grand scheme of nature. This was probably my favorite summer blockbuster since Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
    Couldn't disagree more but glad you/somebody dug it

How High is one of my all time favorites. So many good moments.

NOTTA NEHR NUTTER BITCH

has anyone seen Edge of Tomorrow?

I saw Edge of Tomorrow in IMAX 3D yesterday. I really liked it. I thought the plot was alright, action scenes well done (I dodged a grenade in my seat lol), the dialog to be believable and Emily Blunt able to hold her own in the action role and looking quite attractive.

I actually theater hopped for a total of 4 movies yesterday; Edge of Tomorrow, X-Men, The Fault In Our Stars, and A Million Ways to Die In the West.

X-Men was alright, I wasn't blown away, it was just a solid super hero movie. Also, I kinda like Rebecca Romijn better as Mystique.

The Fault In Our Stars totally destroyed my theater full of tweens, millennials and their Mothers, sniffles galore. My family went through some serious shit before my sister finally got her kidney transplant and the movie definitely got a lot right. Anyway, my sister plans on getting her cry on to the movie later this week.

I only saw A Million Ways to Die In The West to cleanse my palate after watching the sad movie. At times, it definitely felt like a live action episode of Family Guy.

All in all, an enjoyable 9.5 hours spent at the theater.
    9/18 CHVRCHES @ the Fox Theatre
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Not sure if posted already, but...Once Upon A Time In America Extended Director's Cut coming to Blu Ray in September.

How the fuck could that movie be any longer?!? That sounds horrible
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Now with moar opium.

Quote Originally Posted by fikus222 View Post
    Now with moar opium.
    They added a few more telephone rings.

Not even going to lie, I am excited for this.

Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Who wants to Buy an Endangered 1920s LA Movie Theatre? The Rialto Theatre in South Pasadena is up for sale:

http://www.messynessychic.com/2014/0...movie-theatre/

Was Edge of Tomorrow worth the Imax price?
    Or would you say its just alright seeing it in regular theater?
    I wish the theater near me i could hop between IMAX and regular, but they are seperate buildings
    and yes, Dumb and Dumber To!

I felt Edge of Tomorrow was worth the price to see it in IMAX 3D, though I'm sure you won't be at a disadvantage seeing it in regular 3D.

It wasn't shot with IMAX cameras or technology or whatever it's called, so a regular 3D theater is fine.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I wasn't particularly wild about it, but Omar is now up on Netflix Instant and is at least worth a watch.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

This looks great

Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    The Eeries The Troubadour
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

^ Agreed.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Holy shit, I can't believe that's Alejandro Inarritu's new movie. It's good to see him tackle a project with some humor. And Michael Keaton.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Holy shit, I can't believe that's Alejandro Inarritu's new movie. It's good to see him tackle a project with some humor. And Michael Keaton.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

After missing it at AFI Fest last year, I finally saw Lukas Moodysson's We are the Best! and it was wonderful.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking.

After missing it at AFI Fest last year, I finally saw Lukas Moodysson's We are the Best! and it was wonderful.

Yeah I caught it last week at the Nuart and it was fucking awesome. For a movie about teenage girls it had a lovely tone. There was a real innocence to the film and it managed to be honest and funny without any of the saccharine bullshit that usually accompanies these kinds of stories. All three of the girls were great, although I'll admit it took me a few minutes to correctly identify their gender.

I watched Coming To America for the first time in like 10 years or so. I honestly forgot how fucking funny that movie is. Eddie Murphy at his best for sure.
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?