Page 1012 of 1030 FirstFirst ... 10071008100910101011101210131014101510161017 ... LastLast
Results 30,331 to 30,360 of 30880

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    A staple of my childhood.
    Mine, too. But I only remember bits and pieces about it. It was fun to watch last night from an adult point of view.

Also, I randomly watched Play It Again, Sam yesterday. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time...I was a bit leery since Woody didn't direct it, but that script was so spot-on it didn't even matter. I don't often hear it mentioned, and the Bogart stuff was stupid and mostly pointless, but damn did I have a blast watching it.
    10/22 - TV on the Radio - Fonda
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The Incredibles 2 and Cars 3 were announced.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Warpaint 10/27, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

For fucking sakes, Pixar.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Better them than their parent company making the sequels/spinoffs... like Planes.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    Yes, I definitely agree with this. I watched that a few weeks ago and came away very impressed. There were a few times the film descended into histrionics in order to advance the plot, but they were minor enough not to derail the whole film. When are we going to see your list, man?
    Well, it's after St. Patrick's Day, so I guess it's safe to post it.

Gabe's Best 20 Films of 2013
    1. Upstream Color
    2. Laurence Anyways
    3. Spring Breakers
    4. The Act of Killing
    5. To the Wonder
    6. The Counselor
    7. Her
    8. Inside Llewyn Davis
    9. A Spell To Ward Off the Darkness
    10. The Wolf of Wall Street
    11. Bastards
    12. Museum Hours
    13. Mud
    14. Room 237
    15. Blue Jasmine
    16. You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet!
    17. Ain't Them Bodies Saints
    18. Only God Forgives
    19. Jodorowsky's Dune
    20. Captain Phillips

Films That Should Have Been On That List, But They Fucked Up Down the Stretch

Closed Curtain (mild spoilers, but it's the kind of thing that wouldn't hurt to know going in) - Jafar Panahi's second feature since being relegated to house arrest and a 20-year filmmaking ban was one of my favorite films of the year for its first hour of runtime. An extraordinary narrative complement to This Is Not A Film (the documentary that Panahi shot of himself at home while awaiting sentencing for treason), the first half of Closed Curtain concerns a writer who has fled to a remote beach house, ostensibly to protect his dog during a purge by the Islamic Republic, and the intrusion of a young couple who are on the run for unknown reasons. It's maybe the finest single-location thriller I've ever witnessed, and the parallels to Panahi's own life are subtle but unmistakable, and far more powerful in the form of allegory. Moreover, the performance by the dog is genuinely moving - one of the most expressive and charismatic animals to ever grace the screen. And then....Panahi wanders onscreen in the middle of one scene, and one of the year's best films suddenly morphs into another Not a Film about its own making. And to compound the disappointment, the dog virtually disappears for the rest of the movie! Given the circumstances, I have a hard time faulting Panahi for succumbing to depressed self-portraiture in his recent work. But aside from the stirring finale of This Is Not a Film, I must note that his work is vastly more effective when he's behind the camera.

Blue Caprice (SPOILERS - avoid if you ever intend to see this) - This striking debut from Alexandre Moors chronicles the budding relationship between the two men who would ultimately perpetrate the 2002 Beltway shootings so perfectly that the story feels complete before they begin the interstate drive in the titular vehicle: the angry, charismatic ex-soldier (played brilliantly by Isaiah Washington) has morphed his impressionable, lonely teenage charge into a loyal assassin. So, why exactly did Moors choose to portray the shootings and the apprehension of the killers, events that were already well-documented in the media? This film wasn't exactly Elephant, where its theme was the impact of violence on the high school community (and in which the victims had a voice) - these two guys are the only characters we focus on. Their transformation into killers was finished before they ever set out for DC, and casting aside the largely-impressionistic approach of the first 80 minutes in favor of murder set pieces that are unimaginative and completely unnecessary, and frankly, ethically dubious, added nothing but a bad taste in my mouth. Had the credits rolled over their road trip, with the specter of their real-life crimes looming off-screen, I would be among this film's biggest evangelists. With the film ending as it does....I can only recommend it with a huge asterisk.

Films That Should Have Been On That List, But They Disappointed The Fuck Out Of Me
    • Gravity (Note: I saw it a second time in IMAX. I'm more appreciative of its spectacular power as a viewing experience, but I'm more certain than ever that my complaints about its substance are spot on.)
    • The Place Beyond the Pines
    • The Bling Ring
    • Before Midnight
    • The Grandmaster (US version, at least)
    • The Selfish Giant
    • American Hustle (This is primarily a comment on David O. Russell's general trajectory - I expected this film would be shit and I was correct)

Films That Might Have Been On That List, But I Fucked Up By Missing Them
    • Faust (Sokurov's version)
    • Like Someone In Love
    • The Past
    • The Great Beauty
    • Stories We Tell
    • Nebraska
    • All the Light In the Sky
    • Mother of George
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Gabe, what disappointed you so much about Before Midnight?

I still need to see To the Wonder and Her but I'm glad to see Spring Breakers so high up. Upstream Color deserves another viewing or two because I think it went over my head when I saw it in theaters.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Warpaint 10/27, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    Gabe, what disappointed you so much about Before Midnight?
    Here's the spoiler-heavy review I posted on Letterboxd:

A frustrating third entry in this series, which I can't refer to as a trilogy because it seems very clear that there will be further entries even though this one insists upon an uncharacteristic bookend resolution. And also, because I'm sick of the word "trilogy" and only want to use it when the third film in a series lives up to the first two (at least in purpose, if not execution).

There's a lot of great stuff here, but it's consistently undermined by a few major flaws. Most problematic is the foreshadowing of the extended argument that crescendos throughout the film's second half, an albatross around the neck of everything that precedes Jesse and Celine's night of solitude-gone-awry. The pervasive schism in their not-marriage, authentically rendered though it generally is (I thought Celine was saddled with a few overly flagrant barbs, but most of the resentment rings painfully true), robs the proceedings of vitality, spontaneity, or anything resembling surprise. The group dinner scene, in particular, ultimately wastes some of the film's best commentary as inevitability sets in that this is a mere warmup for pending fireworks that will wait until Celine and Jesse are out of the public eye. To the degree that one agrees with this (and I acknowledge that most will not), it's is absolutely a demerit in the shadow of the genuine unpredictability of SUNRISE / SUNSET. My other main problem with the film's first hour is with its attempts at the patented Celine-Jesse walk-and-talk (or sometimes, ride-and-talk) - namely, that there seems to be an effort to re-contextualize the earlier films' trademark probing dialogue without understanding the fundamental need to fully re-think the way these two would relate to one another having been together for nine GD years. Most of their conversation sounds essentially the same as in the two previous entries, with only superficial alterations from these scenarios where they were meeting for the first time ever / in nine years; in this setting, the never-ceasing questions become narrative straw men, often existing only to fill in the space left by the earlier films' cherished ambiguity. Just as critically, Linklater also does almost nothing to distinguish these scenes visually; maybe it was harder for me to recognize this when the writing was stronger, but I have to agree with Richard Brody's assertion that Linklater's filmmaking here is devoid of inquiry (tinyurl.com/pq6yzlv).

The hotel room sequence is mostly tremendous, and I don't mean to gloss over its virtues. But it's overshadowed, again, because MIDNIGHT's specific and unfortunate need to solve as many mysteries as it can doesn't stop with the retroactive; Linklater improbably allows that final shot to continue well past the point that it should have ended (still in a two-shot, with Jesse's "what more do you want?" hanging in the atmosphere as an impenetrable fog) so that Celine can have an abrupt change of heart and leave us more certain than ever - at ANY point in the duo's history - that they would be together forever. I have to be honest - my overall impression of the film would be immensely improved had it not delivered that final beat of unambiguous optimism.

(I acknowledge that there are entirely too many references to BEFORE SUNRISE and BEFORE SUNSET in the previous paragraphs. This isn't because I hold those films as evidence of some kind of monolithic perfection that must be attained by any film starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy; it's just that I feel they worked very well - the second one in particular - for specific reasons, and I don't see the point in continuing their story on purely aesthetic terms. Whatever. At least I didn't compare it to FACES or BLUE VALENTINE.)
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Finally made it out to the actual movie theater this year to see The Grand Budapest Hotel. I enjoyed it fine, not my favorite Wes Anderson, but Willem Dafoe cracked me up. Great sets, costumes, so much attention to detail and at times over the top but it was a fun watch. Also watched The Great Beauty over the weekend and fucking loved it. So funny, great dialogue - really fast subtitle reading going on but I was laughing so much. Beautifully shot! Can't wait to watch it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Nice list, Gabe. We missed out on some of the same films. Did you get a chance to see Raul Ruiz's final film, Night Across the Street? I think you'd dig it.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    Nice list, Gabe. We missed out on some of the same films. Did you get a chance to see Raul Ruiz's final film, Night Across the Street? I think you'd dig it.
    I didn't - I don't believe it ever played here. I'll have to put it in my Netflix queue.

I finally watched In the Mood for Love tonight. Like the other Wong films I've seen, it was beautiful. But also like his other films, I feel like it kind of kept me at arms' length in a way. I liked it a lot, but would like to rewatch it at some point.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I don't think Nebraska would have made it on your list. I don't think it was bad, I just think it was too "cute". I like the fact that the film was about the older characters, however a lot of them seemed to fall into a stereo type, "the funny senior citizen". Will Forte was very good, though.
    Always wear a helmut

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Not Macgruber good.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    The Incredibles 2 and Cars 3 were announced.
    This is such an incredible bummer to me. Some of those concept films they released teaser posters for about a year or so back seem to have so much potential. Now they are phoning it in with sequels. Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    This is such an incredible bummer to me. Some of those concept films they released teaser posters for about a year or so back seem to have so much potential. Now they are phoning it in with sequels. Ugh.
    Those are still on. The next two (Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur), which come out next year, are original concepts. The Dia de Muertos movie is coming out most likely after Finding Dory. They seem to be doing a one sequel for every two original concepts rule now.

The first part of Nymphomaniac was good. It's hard to really gage only seeing half of something, and this first section was much less unhinged than what I expected (although from the looks of it Volume II will make up for that and then some). I can't help but think that the anecdote format might not be the best way to go about all of this - if the audience was experiencing the character's actions in more or less real time it might be more effective than an obviously end result deranged person telling a tale to a willing and sympathetic ear - but regardless that's what we've got and it's worked decently well so far. Stacy Martin is phenomenal as a young Gainsbourg. It's kind of hilarious that both Christian Slater and Shia LeBouf can pull off foreign accents better than Tom Hanks or Leonard DiCaprio. Uma Thurman's scene was wonderful. Lots more laugh out loud moments than any other von Trier film so far. Can't wait to see Volume II on the big screen in a few weeks.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

pumping up for wine tasting next weekend in Santa Barbara*, so drank a couple bottles watching Sideways again last night. Semi-funny film, but the locations kinda steal the show. Ending is great.

*have large group reservations for Fess Parker and Firestone. Sandwiches planned from Panino and dinner at Los Olivos Cafe. All featured in the film. Staying a night at the Windmill Days Inn. Other recommendations? The Santa Rosa Rd drive worth it or just drink at the wineries?
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Quote Originally Posted by skyismad View Post
    Those are still on. The next two (Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur), which come out next year, are original concepts. The Dia de Muertos movie is coming out most likely after Finding Dory. They seem to be doing a one sequel for every two original concepts rule now.
    Oh phew. I still think the sequels are a waste of time. Monsters University was entertaining, but lacked the heart of Monsters Inc. Cars is just a waste of time in general. The first Cars movie was the first Pixar film I did not like. I really like the idea behind the Dinosaur film and Dia de los Muertos film, so I cam glad those are still happening.

With all that being said… the Toy Story trilogy is perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Oh phew. I still think the sequels are a waste of time. Monsters University was entertaining, but lacked the heart of Monsters Inc. Cars is just a waste of time in general. The first Cars movie was the first Pixar film I did not like. I really like the idea behind the Dinosaur film and Dia de los Muertos film, so I cam glad those are still happening.

With all that being said… the Toy Story trilogy is perfection.
    Making a lot of money is not a waste of time for a company whose only purpose for existence is making money.

Also, I'd watch an entire series of Incredibles movies - it's still my favorite of their films, and to me, the only one that conceptually makes sense as a long-running series.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I am sure that was discussed in here 4 months ago when that article was published.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Your icon may console you for this discrepancy.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post
    Your icon may console you for this discrepancy.
    "Well said."
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Making a lot of money is not a waste of time for a company whose only purpose for existence is making money.

Also, I'd watch an entire series of Incredibles movies - it's still my favorite of their films, and to me, the only one that conceptually makes sense as a long-running series.
    this.

I don't know how they failed to market Incredibles into a huge franchise the way they are doing with other ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

The Decline Of Western Civilization (part II, and parts I & III two weeks later) are screening at the Bing Theater, thanks to the Academy. Penelope Spheeris will be in attendance.

http://www.oscars.org/events-exhibit...-decline-march
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

The excellent Kathleen Hanna doc The Punk Singer is now up on Netflix Instant, as is The Grandmaster.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie

Noah is garbage. It's a garbage film with garbage writing.

But how's the acting?