Page 1009 of 1026 FirstFirst ... 10041005100610071008100910101011101210131014 ... LastLast
Results 30,241 to 30,270 of 30774

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Going to see Gravity (for the first time) at the Dome on Super Football Day. We are thinking of making it a double feature at the Arclight... any suggestions?
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Did anyone else see Lone Survivor and like it besides me?
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

I found it really hard to see anything else happening in it past the extreme gore and honest portrayal of how injured those men got. Far too much for my liking. The Explosions in the Sky score was nice, and the performances were good not great. The grandiose "men who have fallen" montage of pictures was banging you over the head by the end of you already being assaulted. But obviously it struck a chord with the old man bawling next to me and the gaggle of woman trying to remedy their tears with some off-putting laughs...

One note though, DAT SOUND DESIGN. MY GOD.

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    Going to see Gravity (for the first time) at the Dome on Super Football Day. We are thinking of making it a double feature at the Arclight... any suggestions?
    If you want to stick around the area that day, assuming you aren't watching the game, Wolf of Wall Street in the dome would be fantastic. That movie will command anyones attention for 3 hours, the big dome screen would be icing. Her is in the dome right after Gravity, a beautiful looking movie as well. Her would be nice post Gravity. Or catch a regular screened time of Inside Llewyn Davis to wine down-- not getting enough sadly. Heartbreaking movie. There's some good shit in theaters! Enjoy Gravity!

This is way late, but I've finally watched enough films from 2013 to confidently put together this list so here goes...

1. The Act of Killing
    2. Her
    3. 12 Years a Slave
    4. Leviathan
    5. Inside Llewyn Davis
    6. Room 237
    7. Spring Breakers
    8. Computer Chess
    9. Gravity
    10. Post Tenebras Lux
    11. Upstream Color
    12. Before Midnight
    13. Stories We Tell
    14. To the Wonder
    15. Frances Ha
    16. Nebraska
    17. The World's End
    18. An Oversimplification of Her Beauty
    19. Night Across the Street
    20. Bestiaire

Films that might make the list after multiple viewings: The Wolf of Wall Street, Berberian Sound Studio, Beyond the Hills, Drinking Buddies, Blue is the Warmest Color, Ain't Them Bodies Saints

Films that might make the list once I finally get a chance to see them: A Touch of Sin, Like Someone in Love, The Past, Museum Hours, Hannah Arendt, The Grandmaster, Faust, At Berkeley, Bastards, The Great Beauty, Let the Fire Burn, The Unspeakable Act
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    Did anyone else see Lone Survivor and like it besides me?
    I loved it. I'm a sucker for military movies though and it definitely moved me. I just finished the book too and surprisingly the movie was pretty damn accurate to the actual story.

David Cronenberg's Shivers is a damn masterpiece. That's the second in as many films of his that I've seen that aren't as well known that I've liked more than some of his bigger titles (the other being The Brood a few months ago). So good. I enjoyed both of those two over Dead Ringers and even The Fly. Videodrome and Crash remain the two best I've seen of his at this point.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead in his NYC apartment. Damn.

After watching about 15 minute of Paolo Sorrentino's The Great Beauty on my laptop yesterday, it became apparent that I needed to see it on the largest screen possible. So I bolted up to the Laemmle in Santa Monica for what I was under the impression was going to be a wonderful experience, and I really didn't like what I saw. The film gets somewhat of a pass for how incredible the camera work was...it really was something to take in at times, and that aspect of it was really good. But I'm not sure I've ever seen a film so up its own ass before. Imagine The Wolf of Wall Street, but without Scorsese's sense of humor. It hints at wanting to be an art film without any kind of follow through at all, making the more abstract elements come off as completely arbitrary. I'm sure there's a way to make a good film that depicts the empty lives of pretentious Roman socialites, but Sorrentino didn't do it here. Instead, he let their vapid ways become his style instead of his subject.
    Last edited by TallGuyCM; 02-05-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I only saw Gravity on Sunday, in case you were wondering. Now I know what you guys were all talking about five months ago.

And yes, I dug it.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

If this site isn't a filthy liar, Blue is the Warmest Color will go up on Netflix Instant on 2/25.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Speaking of characters' vapid ways becoming the style instead of the subject, I watched The Canyons last night and it was a total disaster. Paul Schrader took a fairly interesting concept - the death of cinema via usurpation by talentless, vapid, social media-obsessed hacks - and runs it into the ground with bad acting, amateurish (intentionally?) direction and a dull, one-note script. One might argue that that is the film's entire point, but I wasn't buying it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil50 View Post
    I loved it. I'm a sucker for military movies though and it definitely moved me. I just finished the book too and surprisingly the movie was pretty damn accurate to the actual story.
    I didn't love it, but I was really happy with the accuracy. I like the actors (Alpha Dog reunion FTW!) a lot and generally enjoy military flicks. That said, it doesn't rank up there with the likes of "Glory" of "Platoon" for me, or my other fave military movies (and I love Edward Zwick's style). It was a great effort that could have used some time shifting and a little compression.... which is to say by the end I was ready for it to be over. But seeing the ridiculousness of being shot more times than a target range and rolling down mountains multiple times.... Ffffff. Those guys were hardcore.

I'm not a fan of armed conflict at all, but if you're going to engage in it, you should have some of the toughest, most well trained soldiers on the planet. This movie was a reflection of that, no matter where you side on the war/peace issue.

SPOILERS

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    If this site isn't a filthy liar, Blue is the Warmest Color will go up on Netflix Instant on 2/25.
    Yes! I loved that movie, especially the shots of the younger girl musing over love on the park bench and drifting in in the ocean. Also really loved the bar scene when they met and the scene when they met up after they broke up. The two actresses had such amazing chemistry.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Room 237 is great. I might have to become obsessive over it like the commentators. I don't really agree with the fake moon landing bullshit though.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I watched The Kings of Summer last night and quite enjoyed it. It suffers a bit from trying to make its characters a bit too quirky and smart, but the young cast is all extremely charming and they manage to put out very convincing performances despite it. The adult cast is made up of comedians we all recognize, many from Parks and Recreation. it's amazingly shot though, which surprised me the most. It's a really beautiful film for being a small coming of age story.
    Just watched this. I expected quirky and somewhat overly cutesy characters. Based on the trailer, I even expected it to be as well shot as it was. What I didn't expect was it to be so laugh out loud hilarious. The hardest I've laughed in a long time. Really liked it.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Room 237 is great. I might have to become obsessive over it like the commentators. I don't really agree with the fake moon landing bullshit though.
    LOL. Really? That was just about the most credibly stuff in the entire doc, and really the only part that had any substantive evidence backing it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    LOL. Really? That was just about the most credibly stuff in the entire doc, and really the only part that had any substantive evidence backing it.
    If you're analyzing the film in terms of whether the narrators readings of the film are "correct" or not, I think you're a missing the larger theme that the movie was trying to express.

We've only just started but The Lego Movie is the best movie of 2014 so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

kvnty's 85-100% accurate 2013 Oscar pics (i.e., in case you feel like winning your office pool).

Best Picture Oscar Nominees (in order of greatness):

1. Nebraska*
    2. Philomena*
    3. Gravity 3D (iMax)*
    4. 12 Years A Slave*
    5. Her*
    6. The Wolf of Wall Street
    7. American Hustle
    8. Dallas Buyers Club
    9. Captain Phillips

(*The real five best picture nominations - the other four don't have a chance in fuck of winning.)

• Best Picture: Gravity 3D (a technical and directorial marvel)
    • Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity 3D
    • Best Actress: Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine
      (Meryl Streep is possible dark horse for her tour-de-force in August: Osage County)
    • Best Supporting Actress: June Squib - Nebraska
    • Best Actor: Bruce Dern - Nebraska
      (Chiwetel Ejiofor could upset by getting the darkie vote)
    • Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto - Dallas Buyers Club
      (Jonah Hill could upset by getting the fat vote)

You're very fucking welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Kvnty - get your head out of your [Filipino rent boy's] ass. In what alternate universe do Nebraska and Philomena have a better chance at Best picture than American Hustle or Wolf of Wall Street? This isn't the Independent Spirit Awards. And if McConaughey is going to be upset by anyone in the Best Actor race, it's going to be Chiwetel Ejiofor, not the (no doubt, respectable) Bruce Dern. Also, what's up with your gross "darkie vote" comment, dude? Jesus.

Saw Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen in Hollywood a couple of weeks ago. Hadn't seen the film (on any screen size) since I was a kid and it was a rare treat to see such a well made, big, lavish Hollywood epic. BTW, if you can find Peter O'Toole interviews in which he discusses filming the big ensemble scenes with hundreds of extras and wildly unpredictable camels, it sounds like a miracle that he and Omar Sharif survived the filming.

I watched Ben Wheatley's A Field in England tonight. It took a little while to get going, but was really incredible once it hit its stride. There's a scene of what looks like it's called "stroboscopic editing" that is absolutely jaw-dropping. It'll be interesting to see reactions to this one, I'm sure they'll be greatly divided. I haven't seen Wheatley's debut, and this one is really fantastic but I still think that Kill List remains his best and most subversive statement to date.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    (Chiwetel Ejiofor could upset by getting the darkie vote)
    Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Also, what's up with your gross "darkie vote" comment, dude? Jesus.
    "According to a February 2012 study conducted by the Los Angeles Times (sampling over 5,000 of its 5,765 members), the Academy is 94% white, 77% male, 14% under the age of 50, and has a median age of 62." After Michael Clarke Duncan's tragic passing I'm pretty sure the only remaining black Academy members are Denzel Washington, Halle Berry and Forest Whitaker, but I could be wrong.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

kvnty proves again he just has to go into every conversation and say fucking awful things
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Despite the intended shock value I'm always impressed by how boring he is.

kvnty proves again he just has to go into every conversation and say fucking awful things
    He's just so... boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    If you're analyzing the film in terms of whether the narrators readings of the film are "correct" or not, I think you're a missing the larger theme that the movie was trying to express.
    Not really. The question isn't whether Kubrick faked the moon landing or not, the question is whether the imagery used by Kubrick was designed to create that illusion, or reflect on that possibility. If you take the logical "no way they faked it" bullshit out of it, it's completely obvious that he was strongly alluding to the fakery.

But I wouldn't go that far. There's a lot of other factual support for the argument that he actually did fake the moon landing, based largely on the tech his special effects designers used for 2001 vs. the actual moon footage. Just google it, the dude from Room 237 has reams of writing based on this stuff.

watched The Wicker Man (1973) and, other than Brit Ekland's gyrating dance scene and the films' impressive sacrifice finale, it wasn't all that compelling as a whole. Evidently it caused some fear in folk back then and was classified as a "horror". The director attempted a companion piece, The Wicker Tree in 2011, also marketed as a horror film but the critics panned it as too camp.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Kvnty - get your head out of your [Filipino rent boy's] ass. In what alternate universe do Nebraska and Philomena have a better chance at Best picture than American Hustle or Wolf of Wall Street? This isn't the Independent Spirit Awards. And if McConaughey is going to be upset by anyone in the Best Actor race, it's going to be Chiwetel Ejiofor, not the (no doubt, respectable) Bruce Dern. Also, what's up with your gross "darkie vote" comment, dude? Jesus.
    The alternate universe of common decency and mother-fucking good taste, that's where.

Though I may be wrong (alert the press) about Cate now that that fucking cooz Mia Farrow is slinging shit about Woody, and consequently hurting Cate's chances at taking home a well-deserved Oscar.
    Last edited by kvnty; 02-11-2014 at 07:45 PM.
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

kvnty, as in the LA Bars thread, it'd be nice if you either tried to contribute or didn't come in here at all.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Spike Lee's Oldboy remake was even worse than I feared it would be. Completely pointless.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare