Page 1008 of 1026 FirstFirst ... 10031004100510061007100810091010101110121013 ... LastLast
Results 30,211 to 30,240 of 30774

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

That movie is worth watching for Heinrich alone.
    08/22/14 The Murder City Devils - Great American Music Hall
    11/07/14 The Matches - Slim's
    11/08/14 The Matches - Slim's
    11/09/14 Julian Casablancas + the Voidz - Regency Ballroom
    11/17/14 Bastille - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    11/23/14 Sky Ferreira - the Independent

I watched Prisoners last night and I thought it started out so good but turned into the biggest mess. It had such a good premise though. I think the nearly 3 hour run-time didn't work in it's favor.

8/22 Slint @ El Rey
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I watched Zulawski's Possession last night. Complete insanity. Some of the most impressive camera work I've ever seen, but I tend to have a hard time with films that are this insane, and this was no exception. Much like when Schoolio and I saw On the Silver Globe a few years ago, I definitely appreciated the work but had a hard time getting much out of it beyond that. Same goes for the two Greenaway films I've seen.
    Where did you find this? I haven't seen any Zulawski yet, but all I can find on Netflix is On the Silver Globe.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Possession is insane. It was on YouTube a year or so ago, but no more. I'd be curious where you found it as well as I've searched for it on Netflix and Amazon Prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

So I saw Inside Llewyn Davis the other day and I don't know what to think about it. I absolutely loved the soundtrack and it's probably going to be the first soundtrack for a movie I buy. The movie it self is probably going to have to require a second viewing to make a real opinion of it. While I liked the acting and the overall story I just didn't really like how nothing happens in the movie. I understand it was just a week in his life but I was hoping for something of significance to happen that either makes him better or worse off, not just ending the movie the way it started. It was still worth watching as I did quite enjoy it and was entertaining enough (which I know is contradicting what I previously said) but I really do need to watch it again in when it can be rented to really decide how I feel about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

There's a great little noir from back in the day called The Naked City that expires on Netflix in a few days that I watched last night. Recommended if you're looking for something to watch this week.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

^ Sounds good.

I tried watching Captain Phillips over the weekend and fell asleep after Cpt leaves with the pirates. I tried watching the rest the next day and ended up pausing it at some point and never went back to finish it. I preferred A Hijacking which was more interesting and had much better acting. And talk about better acting, fucking Meryl Streep in August: Osage County was wow to watch. I can't wait to watch that movie again - it was at times hysterical and other times depressing. I don't care much for Julia Roberts but she manages to hold her own for the most part. The rest of the cast was great too, especially Chris Cooper.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Enough Said, James Gandolfini's last role and Julia Louis-Dreyfus's first film role, was a really nice piece. Nothing brilliant, but thoroughly watchable and a fairly original and thought-provoking take on self-destruction in relationships. Gotta admit, it made me a little wistful to see the big guy on screen for the last time. Glad it wasn't in a total piece of shit.

In A World... was a moderately funny little indie piece about voice over actors all competing to replace the guy who coined the "In a world..." movie trailer voice over thing who died a couple years back. It was cute enough, only had a couple joke beats worth laughing at, but it's always kinda funny to watch people whose entire lives hinge on something that seems so utterly silly.
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I preferred A Hijacking which was more interesting and had much better acting.
    Yeah. The whole negotiation basis of A Hijacking was so much more effective and tense than the action-based Captain Phillips, not to mention how the latter made the military look laughably cartoonish.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I watched Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine the other week and thought it was excellent - probably my favorite Allen film since Sweet and Lowdown. I don't know if any of you saw what Allen's son Ronin Farrow tweeted during the Golden Globes but needless to say it was pretty scathing.

I was pretty young when that whole investigation took place and I think I conflated the molestation charges with his marriage to his other adopted daughter. After researching the case I'm fairly convinced that Allen is a pedophile. Now, with that belief in mind, should I have any moral obligations when it comes to a film like Blue Jasmine? Is it okay to love the art and even though I find the artist repulsive? Or is it just that attitude that has allowed him to remain a free man and possibly abuse other children? If I torrented Blue Jasmine and didn't support the film financially, am I off the hook? So many questions.

I've had this conversation before in regards to Roman Polanski and I think it's a difficult issue. Lots of great art has been made by horrible human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    I watched Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine the other week and thought it was excellent - probably my favorite Allen film since Sweet and Lowdown. I don't know if any of you saw what Allen's son Ronin Farrow tweeted during the Golden Globes but needless to say it was pretty scathing.

I was pretty young when that whole investigation took place and I think I conflated the molestation charges with his marriage to his other adopted daughter. After researching the case I'm fairly convinced that Allen is a pedophile. Now, with that belief in mind, should I have any moral obligations when it comes to a film like Blue Jasmine? Is it okay to love the art and even though I find the artist repulsive? Or is it just that attitude that has allowed him to remain a free man and possibly abuse other children? If I torrented Blue Jasmine and didn't support the film financially, am I off the hook? So many questions.

I've had this conversation before in regards to Roman Polanski and I think it's a difficult issue. Lots of great art has been made by horrible human beings.
    The same can be said for Michael Jackson or Phil Spector or Bing Crosby, etc... Some people have a hard time seperating the artist from the person, but sometimes it's for the best, because a lot of screwed up people make some pretty great art.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Enough Said, James Gandolfini's last role and Julia Louis-Dreyfus's first film role, was a really nice piece. Nothing brilliant, but thoroughly watchable and a fairly original and thought-provoking take on self-destruction in relationships. Gotta admit, it made me a little wistful to see the big guy on screen for the last time. Glad it wasn't in a total piece of shit.

In A World... was a moderately funny little indie piece about voice over actors all competing to replace the guy who coined the "In a world..." movie trailer voice over thing who died a couple years back. It was cute enough, only had a couple joke beats worth laughing at, but it's always kinda funny to watch people whose entire lives hinge on something that seems so utterly silly.

I want to see both of these, but the main reason i am responding is that Julia Louis-Dreyfus has been in several movies, most notably to me is Woody Allen's Deconstructing Harry. She also has done voice over work in 2 Disney movies.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I was pretty young when that whole investigation took place and I think I conflated the molestation charges with his marriage to his other adopted daughter. After researching the case I'm fairly convinced that Allen is a pedophile.
    He maintained his innocence throughout, was never charged much less convicted criminally, a judge couldn't conclude that there was proof that he had done it for custody purposes in a civil court (in a context that required far less proof than proof beyond a reasonable doubt), there was no medical evidence that abuse had occurred, and a team of child abuse investigators cleared him after an exhaustive investigation. Also, the principle evidence against him at the time were videotaped allegations that were presented in a video that was recorded and edited by the other party in the custody proceedings. All of which is a world away from Polanski, who admitted to having had drug-fueled sex with an underage girl without her explicit consent, and who even plead guilty to charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    He maintained his innocence throughout, was never charged much less convicted criminally, a judge couldn't conclude that there was proof that he had done it for custody purposes in a civil court (in a context that required far less proof than proof beyond a reasonable doubt), there was no medical evidence that abuse had occurred, and a team of child abuse investigators cleared him after an exhaustive investigation. Also, the principle evidence against him at the time were videotaped allegations that were presented in a video that was recorded and edited by the other party in the custody proceedings. All of which is a world away from Polanski, who admitted to having had drug-fueled sex with an underage girl without her explicit consent, and who even plead guilty to charges.
    I'm fully aware that Allen has maintained his innocence. I'm also aware that his adopted daughter has maintained her version of the story her entire life. The judge in the custody trial you mentioned characterized Allen's conduct with the child as "grossly inappropriate."

EDIT: Also, the team of child abuse investigators you mention never even interviewed the little girl, declined to testify at trial except via deposition, and destroyed their notes on the case.

The case came down to the word of a 7 year old girl versus that of a rich adult celebrity. At the time I think it's safe to characterize the relationship he had with his current wife as grossly inappropriate. Soon-Yi was 20 years old when Mia Farrow found the nude pictures that Allen took of her.

Anyhow, this is not the conversation I was interested in having. We can shift to Polanski if you think that's a better example.
    Last edited by bobert; 01-23-2014 at 04:01 PM.

I want to see both of these, but the main reason i am responding is that Julia Louis-Dreyfus has been in several movies, most notably to me is Woody Allen's Deconstructing Harry. She also has done voice over work in 2 Disney movies.
    I meant to say her first good movie. And doing voice over work is not being in a movie.
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I watched Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine the other week and thought it was excellent - probably my favorite Allen film since Sweet and Lowdown. I don't know if any of you saw what Frank Sinatra's son Ronan Farrow tweeted during the Golden Globes but needless to say it was pretty scathing.
    Fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Fixed.
    He does have Frank's eyes.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanity Fair
    It is striking how much Mia and Ronan are alike—the same porcelain skin, the same intense blue eyes, the same ability to perform. He was only 11 when he entered Bard College; Mia drove him back and forth nearly every day—90 minutes each way—for four years. Ronan is writing a book on America’s proxy wars, but he also writes songs and scripts. Mia sent me a tape of him belting out Stephen Sondheim’s “Not While I’m Around,” which she used to sing to the children, and his phrasing sounds eerily familiar. In August of last year, gossip columnist Liz Smith wrote that he had been in Los Angeles visiting Nancy Sinatra Jr. and “has caused the anti–Woody Allen contingent to point out that such a connection gives heft to the ongoing theory that Ronan is not the son from [Mia’s] relationship with Woody, but from her post-divorce romantics with the late Sinatra himself.”

I asked Nancy Sinatra Jr. about Ronan’s being treated as if he were a member of their family, and she answered in an e-mail, “He is a big part of us, and we are blessed to have him in our lives.” She said of Mia, “From the early days until now, we have been like sisters. My mother is also very fond of her. We are family and will always be.”

I asked Mia point-blank if Ronan was the son of Frank Sinatra. “Possibly,” she answered. (No DNA tests have been done.)

Ronan attended Sinatra’s funeral, in 1998, with his mother, Nancy Sinatra Jr., and Nancy Sinatra Sr., who fusses over him and cooks for him like a grandmother, he says. Mia told me that she and the two Nancys put several items into Frank’s coffin, including “a small bottle of Jack Daniel’s and a dime, because he always told us never to go anywhere without a dime. ‘You never know who you’ll have to call.’ ” Mia also put in a note and her wedding ring.

“Was he the great love of your life?,” I asked.

“Yes.”
    http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...-ronan-farrow#
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I think they can skip the DNA test.
    Last edited by bobert; 01-23-2014 at 06:04 PM.

I have zero problem separating the art from the artist. The way I see it, people like Polanski and (allegedly) Allen are only the ones who have been caught/publicly accused. We'd likely be appalled by several of our favorite musicians/filmmakers if we were privy to all of their actions. That said, this top photo totally creeps me out now haha.

8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The Act of Killing is a fucking crazy film... what a trip. These men are monsters.

Last night I went to a screening of Our Robocop Remake, a project organized by Dave Seger from Channel 101, in which roughly 60 teams of filmmakers took on 60 scenes from the original Robocop. It is one of the funniest, strangest, and incredible things I have ever seen. I was dying the entire time.

I imagine it will be available to watch in its entirety online in the near future, and I cannot recommend it enough.

And here is a photo with me and some friends the incredible ED-209 costume/puppet from one of the scenes.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Has anyone seen All is Lost? I hadn't heard anything about it whatsoever, but I saw it tonight on a whim. It stars Robert Redford as a man who appears to be a well-to-do retired solo sailor in a nice, modest yacht. He wakes up one morning to find his ship punctured by a shipping container adrift at sea. He has to fix a hole and bail out the yacht, and things continue from there. Redford is the only face on-screen the whole time, and he only speaks, at most, ten lines over the course of the film. He does an excellent job of embodying this old, obviously skilled sailor. The bare-bones plot was forgiven, for my, by his strong performance and the spare film-making. There were some gorgeous shots of the ocean and a really desolate atmosphere created by the vast amounts of space it provides. I enjoyed the hell out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Yeah, I liked that one ok. Surprisingly captivating for something with zero dialogue and only one actor for 90 minutes.
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Speaking of which, enjoyed Polanski’s Knife in the Water as it really stirred the loins without having to resort to a bunch of nudity. All the playful teasing and power struggles was enough. Did beat off.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Anyone in LA/Hollywood area been to the Chinese theater since TCL redid with IMAX? There's a number of contradicting reviews about it on yelp saying its smaller then a real imax screen but then others saying its the 3rd largest in the US? Pretty much deciding between seeing the rerelease of Gravity 3D in the Dome at Arclight hollywood or TCL chinese IMAX. Thoughts appreciated.

The issue is that it's being billed at the third largest "commercial" screen, so not as large as what you'll find at museums, but the issue with that is that there are screen like the Edwards in Irvine and the AMC at Universal, that play both kinds of films, so they're not technically included in that list. The reported dimensions of it definitely make it a real IMAX though, and definitely bigger than the Dome.
    last.fm

Ugh, might as well go to the Rave18 IMAX, great great experiences there. Thanks for info. I think it may be worth it for the IMAX sound standards, also there seem to be good comments about the 3d glasses at the Chinese theater, plus stadium seating which has been a downfall at the Dome in some of my experiences on crowded nights there.