Page 993 of 1015 FirstFirst ... 988989990991992993994995996997998 ... LastLast
Results 29,761 to 29,790 of 30421

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

  1. #29761
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    22,150

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Yeah. Almost as silly as being personally offended that someone proffered a personal opinion that differed from your own.

    4/11-13: Coachella
    4/15: The Knife @ The Fox
    4/16: Factory Floor @ The Independent
    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

  2. #29762
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    22,150

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    I disregarded your second paragraph because this is the INTERNET -
    brilliant.

    4/11-13: Coachella
    4/15: The Knife @ The Fox
    4/16: Factory Floor @ The Independent
    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

  3. #29763
    Coachella Junkie SoulDischarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vampire State Building
    Posts
    15,823

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I interpreted and responded to your review of 2001: A Space Odyssey as though it were a review of My Little Pony, because this is the INTERNET.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

  4. #29764
    AMBIVALENT bobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,644

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Gravity is the biggest bummer of the year for me. I will never understand why Alfonso Cuaron would devote so much time and so many resources to learning how to depict the physical reality of space travel, and then employ his findings to a simplistic, woman-against-the-elements survival story that refuses to engage with space in any way that isn't "it's gorgeous" or "it wants to kill you". I don't need it to be 2001 - with which Gravity has no more common ground than what's shared between Blow-Up and Spice World - but if I'm stuck inside a person's space suit for 90 minutes, there simply has to be more depth to the characterization than what is offered here. And it has to be suggested, at least some of the time, rather than explicitly stated - which, for fuck's sake, shouldn't be possible in a film with so few characters.

    And yet....while it's very easy for me to get carried away with how unsatisfied Gravity ultimately left me, it would be disingenuous to say that the film shouldn't be seen. It MUST be seen, and on the biggest, most three-dimensional canvas available to you, for even thoughtless, insubstantial time spent in space is still time spent in space. And from a purely technical standpoint, this film does it as well as almost anyone since Kubrick. It's just crucial to know that the comparison ends there.
    If your biggest complaint was that the characters had no depth then I think 2001 is a splendid comparison. The human characters in 2001 were about as sterile and one-dimensional as it gets and I'd say it's a safe assumption that both Kubrick and Cuaron had other priorities. For a big-budget studio movie Gravity has an embarrassment of riches. If you found it to be the biggest disappointment of the year maybe you're being too goddamn greedy.

  5. #29765
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    22,150

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    It's a cop out to express a personal distaste for something but to still recommend it to others, because presuming that others might like something even though you didn't like a certain aspect of that something is an unacceptable stance to take.

    4/11-13: Coachella
    4/15: The Knife @ The Fox
    4/16: Factory Floor @ The Independent
    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

  6. #29766
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    20,570

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Cara, how do you feel about the movie Cop Out?
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

  7. #29767
    Coachella Junkie getbetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Palo Alto
    Posts
    8,145

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    more like Cara likes Cop in , amrite or what

    Trentemoller @ Mezzanine 04/06/14
    The Knife @ The Fox 04/15/14
    Factory Floor @ The Independent 04/16/14
    The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's 04/17/14
    Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's 04/26/15
    Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch 05/02-04/14
    The Decemberist @ Crystal Ballroom 05/30/14
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds @ The Warfield 07/07/14


    Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    thanks for whatever you did in mexico.



  8. #29768
    Loveable Curmudgeon TallGuyCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach
    Posts
    19,667

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Gravity is not a terrible movie, it's just not the movie you thought it would be.
    This.

    Over the years I've learned that it's best to not go into something with preconceived notions whenever possible. If the character in Gravity were thin, the narrative basic - all of that Cuaron obviously did on purpose. I have several friends that constantly go to concerts with the whole if the band doesn't play x, y, z songs it's not going to be a good show. More often than not you're going to be disappointed with that kind of approach.

    That's a terrible example actually, haha. But you see what I'm getting at. Instead of going into something with an idea of how it should be, that you ultimately compare it to, go into it with attention to what the artist is getting at, and go from there.
    4/17 - Mogwai - El Rey (?)
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall


    Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

    Twitter, if you dare

  9. #29769
    Coachella Junkie stinkbutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    9,114

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    It is amazing how so many people can look at a movie with 2 people on the screen for 90 mins (30 mins for one of them), and claim you don't need to care about the characters to enjoy the fim. What else is are you supposed to like? The beautiful view? Go watch Hubble Imax 3D if that's all you jerkoffs want in a space film.
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

    Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

  10. #29770
    Banned thelastgreatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Wasteland (LA)
    Posts
    12,547

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Oh great, TomServo and TallGuy agree. Nothing about this conversation is going to be horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

  11. #29771
    Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brentwood, CA
    Posts
    6,149

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Let's just say that Cara wins the thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It is amazing how so many people can look at a movie with 2 people on the screen for 90 mins (30 mins for one of them), and claim you don't need to care about the characters to enjoy the fim. What else is are you supposed to like? The beautiful view? Go watch Hubble Imax 3D if that's all you jerkoffs want in a space film.
    Fucking bingo. That's precisely the level that Gravity works on. I loved those nine minutes of Hubble 3D, but I don't want someone to multiply it by ten and then hear that it's the film of the year.

    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    This.

    Over the years I've learned that it's best to not go into something with preconceived notions whenever possible. If the character in Gravity were thin, the narrative basic - all of that Cuaron obviously did on purpose. I have several friends that constantly go to concerts with the whole if the band doesn't play x, y, z songs it's not going to be a good show. More often than not you're going to be disappointed with that kind of approach.

    That's a terrible example actually, haha. But you see what I'm getting at. Instead of going into something with an idea of how it should be, that you ultimately compare it to, go into it with
    attention to what the artist is getting at, and go from there.
    I agree with this in principle; it's been the basis of several arguments I've had, here and elsewhere. But maybe I'm not harping on this loudly enough - I BELIEVE GRAVITY DOES NOT EXECUTE ITS CHOSEN NARRATIVE WELL. Think about Clooney's ultimate contribution to the story - it's a simply awful storytelling stroke, and the film depends on it full-stop.

    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    If your biggest complaint was that the characters had no depth then I think 2001 is a splendid comparison. The human characters in 2001 were about as sterile and one-dimensional as it gets and I'd say it's a safe assumption that both Kubrick and Cuaron had other priorities. For a big-budget studio movie Gravity has an embarrassment of riches. If you found it to be the biggest disappointment of the year maybe you're being too goddamn greedy.
    The latter point is entirely possible, but Kubrick didn't make a film that centers entirely on one character's "journey", so you'll have to forgive me for not holding his movie to the same standard of character work. If only Cuaron had shown even a fleeting interest in the mysteries of the universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

  12. #29772
    old school unit300021's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    By The Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,273

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    So today I watched The Goonies like I do almost every first rain of the season (I would say major rain but lets face it, any rain in so cal is major rain). I don' care what anyone else says that is the perfect rainy day movie.

    After that ended was going through the movie channels and Dogma was on so I watched it. It's probably been about 10 years since I've seen it but holy shit I forgot how funny that movie is. So many great lines in it plus a lot of reflects my own personal beliefs. Plus I forgot Chris Rock was the apostle so that was a great surprise again. I don't know if it's Kevin Smiths best movie but fuck it's up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

  13. #29773

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Gabe, I can't necessarily fault you for your feelings on Gravity, but I do find it curious that you can positively review a film like Somewhere (or any sparse, subtle art film) but then slam Gravity for its dearth of character development.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

  14. #29774
    Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brentwood, CA
    Posts
    6,149

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    You guys are fixating too heavily on certain things I'm saying and ignoring others. I'm not slamming Gravity for its dearth of character development alone; I'm also objecting to its dearth of ideas, earned feelings, and telling stories without horrendous exposition.

    Also, disagree that Somewhere or any [I]good[I] sparse, subtle art film lacks any of those things.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

  15. #29775

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Sandra giving a five minute dialog to an imaginary dead drunk Clooney floating around in space to tell her stupid ugly dead kid hello was one of the worst things I have ever seen on film. Every second counts when you are a elementary teacher that has unlimited access to two space stations and the Hubble telescope. Getting back to earf is what should have been the main focus, not character development.

  16. #29776
    Member TomServo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Granada Hills, CA
    Posts
    1,628

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubesock Shakur View Post
    Sandra giving a five minute dialog to an imaginary dead drunk Clooney floating around in space to tell her stupid ugly dead kid hello was one of the worst things I have ever seen on film. Every second counts when you are a elementary teacher that has unlimited access to two space stations and the Hubble telescope. Getting back to earf is what should have been the main focus, not character development.
    Uh... what? Bullock's character was an engineer who was re-tasking medical equipment for the Hubble.

  17. #29777
    Member FEELS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA
    Posts
    2,019

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I just watched Buffalo '66. Really good. Though I don't think I've ever wanted to punch someone in the face as much as Vincent Gallo.

    4/17 Pixies @ Pappy & Harriets
    4/26 Desert Daze @ Sunset Ranch Oasis
    5/26 Panda Bear @ Pappy & Harriets
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium

  18. #29778
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    20,570

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Somewhere is totally fucking dreadful.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

  19. #29779
    Member FEELS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palm Desert, CA
    Posts
    2,019

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Somewhere is totally fucking dreadful.
    Agreed.

    4/17 Pixies @ Pappy & Harriets
    4/26 Desert Daze @ Sunset Ranch Oasis
    5/26 Panda Bear @ Pappy & Harriets
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium

  20. #29780

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Saw Hope Floats 2 today. Overall I liked it a lot. Technically it was a marvel no doubt and a true cinematic experience. However, I did have problems connecting with it on an emotional level and had to feel that it is a tad over rated. Best space movie ever? No. For my money, I'd probably rank Danny Boyle's Sunshine higher.

  21. #29781
    Coachella Junkie algunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rustin' in Tustin
    Posts
    20,776

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    Though I don't think I've ever wanted to punch someone in the face as much as Vincent Gallo.
    A lot of people feel this way.

  22. #29782

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Uh... what? Bullock's character was an engineer who was re-tasking medical equipment for the Hubble.
    I wanted her to go out like Christa McAuliffe. I didn't give a fuck about her background or character development.
    Last edited by Tubesock Shakur; 10-12-2013 at 11:53 PM.

  23. #29783

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Gravity was amazing, especially IMAX. I liked both Clooney's and bullock's character. You really felt like you were in the movie.
    All you guys that are hating it just want something to bitch about it

  24. #29784
    Member zircona1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    1,267

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    I get where Schoolio is coming from on his disappointment for Gravity. Visually, it's incredible (I saw it in 3D). But I didn't feel very invested in Sandra Bullock's character - the dialogue didn't help either. I wasn't disappointed, though - totally worth the ticket price to see on the big screen. I'd give it a B+.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

  25. #29785
    Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brentwood, CA
    Posts
    6,149

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Saw Hope Floats 2 today. Overall I liked it a lot. Technically it was a marvel no doubt and a true cinematic experience. However, I did have problems connecting with it on an emotional level and had to feel that it is a tad over rated. Best space movie ever? No. For my money, I'd probably rank Danny Boyle's Sunshine higher.
    Absolutely.

    Quote Originally Posted by flaminggodlikecreature View Post
    Gravity was amazing, especially IMAX. I liked both Clooney's and bullock's character. You really felt like you were in the movie.
    All you guys that are hating it just want something to bitch about it
    That's the dumbest fucking logic of this conversation to date. I'm choosing to be monumentally disappointed with this film, and could easily alter my perception if not for my inherent thirst for complaining?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

  26. #29786
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    20,570

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    how dare you argue with the creator of "Gravity - The Thread"
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

  27. #29787
    Member Grandma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Putting the "ass" in assisted living
    Posts
    1,749

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Rush was fantastic, especially if you're a fan of F1's golden era

    Gravity was the most beautiful disappointment of the year. Its as if they flushed the WCS within the first few minutes and accidentally jettisoned more logic than piss. Seeing it within earshot of a group of armchair planetarium managers who felt the same way was the only saving grace for my viewing experience
    Last edited by Grandma; 10-14-2013 at 05:57 PM.

  28. #29788

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Saw Hope Floats 2 today. Overall I liked it a lot. Technically it was a marvel no doubt and a true cinematic experience. However, I did have problems connecting with it on an emotional level and had to feel that it is a tad over rated. Best space movie ever? No. For my money, I'd probably rank Danny Boyle's Sunshine higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Absolutely.
    Sorry, Sunshine is pretty terrible. There are many space movies that are better.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

  29. #29789

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    Sorry, Sunshine is pretty terrible. There are many space movies that are better.
    Don't confuse what I said to mean Sunshine is one of the best space movies ever made.

  30. #29790
    old school Drewski27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    California's Elbow
    Posts
    4,697

    Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

    How did House of 1,000 Corpses get such shitty reviews? I thought it was a delightful little piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    You guys are mean. Sexy people are not meant to be smart.

Similar Threads

  1. Bring back the Coachella Movie Lounge.
    By bballarl in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 08:34 AM
  2. Where's the movie thread?
    By amyzzz in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 09:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •