Page 983 of 1030 FirstFirst ... 978979980981982983984985986987988 ... LastLast
Results 29,461 to 29,490 of 30873

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

A woman seeking out the livelihood of her son and sister in war ravaged southern Lebanon. It's a heart puller for sure, but the cab driver male character sprinkles in some humor to offset it a bit. Best movie I've seen in a while.

Last edited by lehorne; 07-28-2013 at 05:08 PM.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I think I'm going to fall on the positive side with Only God Forgives. It was much more effective than Drive for me; I think some of my issues with the previous film derived from Refn's half-hearted and uncharacteristic attempts at narrative structure and, for lack of eloquence, sweetness (you all know how I feel about Carey Mulligan and any film that attempts to place her in a romantic context). Only God Forgives can be accused of many, many things, but there isn't a single person on earth who would believe it to be attempting those qualities. But while the filmmaker's doubling down on his impressionistic sick-fuckery yields a form of aesthetic purity, it's a much more hollow experience than the ostensibly similar Valhalla Rising. Refn's new film matches his only great film in hypnotic sensory overload - OGF uses black space onscreen more strikingly than any film I can recall in the past several years, and contains a masterful soundscape juxtaposing Lynchian silences with one of the best scores in Clint Martinez's distinguished career - but where Valhalla had something vaguely resembling an emotional core (the paternal shadings of the relationship between One-Eye and the kid) and a potent allegory concerning a society's sacrificing values in the name of acquisition, OGF has virtually no handle on recognizable human behavior, or on any other subject beyond hacked limbs and shredded sternums. It's one of the most heinous visions of existence that I've ever seen, fueled by dread and distrust and violent torture and familial bonds that rise to the level of poisonous on Thanksgiving. Which is, I think, exactly as Refn prefers it to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I will never argue with anyone hating on Only God Forgives, because I completely understand. However, I loved it and can't wait to watch it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

"The Act of Killing" was incredible. Really one of the most disturbing and thought provoking films I've seen.
    I was in Medan a few months ago. Gives me chills thinking who was walking down the streets with me. I had
    never even heard of the holocaust in Indonesia.

Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

I watched two films today. Martha Marcy Mae Marlene was a spectacular film that really developed a sense of growing dread and threat through an excellent performance from the lead female and a great score that perfectly cast the film. I loved the ambiguity of the ending. Highly recommended.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum is Charade, an early 60s Cary Grant/Audrey Hepburn spy thriller/romance that has tons of twists and turns and laughs. I've seen it before but I just adore the film and the bizarre humor throughout it. I also love that, until the last minute, you don't know what exactly is going on in the movie. Great stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Room 237, a documentary about the theories about the meaning and symbols in The Shining, was the equivalent of watching a movie made my Radiohead wackos trying to relate the color of Thom's pants to the quality of the band's setlists.
    10/22 - TV on the Radio - Fonda
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Room 237, a documentary about the theories about the meaning and symbols in The Shining, was the equivalent of watching a movie made my Radiohead wackos trying to relate the color of Thom's pants to the quality of the band's setlists.
    I haven't seen it, but yeah, I've heard enough that it's just a bunch of lunatics rambling that I don't want to.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

I'm sold!
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I really want to see that.

Meanwhile, Grabbers is a really fun and quite hilarious Irish horror/sci-fi film, in the vein of Attack the Block, about a small island community inundated by some weird, tentacled alien creatures. They discover that the blood-sucking aliens are averse to - get this - alcohol, so the grand plan is to quarantine the entire town into the bar for one night of intense boozing in order to ward off the creatures. It's a good entertainment, calling to mind early Spielberg (had he been Irish & fond of jokes about hard alcohol).
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Today I watched three films:

Unfaithfully Yours is one I've seen and adored, and it was every bit as fantastic as I remembered. This time I was better able to understand how each movement of music the conductor used influenced his visions of his and his wife's demises. What I didn't appreciate as much the first time through is Sturges' absolutely stellar dialogue, which is his true hallmark as a filmmaker and what makes his movies. He was so quick with lines that their humor is lost on first viewing, but repeated sittings reveals so much comic relief that these films are true hallmarks of slapstick and insane comedy.

McCabe and Mrs. Miller is a fantastic take on the Western genre as well as a great study of a community and how its growth affects those who live there. Warren Beatty absolutely destroys as McCabe, an entrepreneur moving to a Pac Northwest mining town to establish a whorehouse and saloon despite his forthcomings as a businessman and general intellectual, and Julie Christie is perfection as Mrs. Miller, the high-class whore who truly establishes his business and convinces him to build beyond what he would have ever envisioned. She becomes his downfall, sure, but the film is great at showing a whole community in full relief and is so refreshing for not falling into the traditional heroism roles that plague westerns. I loved it.

42 is all about heroism. That said, I'm a huge Dodgers fan and watching Jackie Robinson's rookie career so adeptly portrayed was great. I thought the whole film was well made as far as sports dramas go, that they did not shy away from the brutality of the racism that Robinson fought through early in his career, and that, while it didn't show nuance to his character (he was known as a hot-head and an egotist) it was satisfying as a fan of his story. I enjoyed it.

Man With a Movie Camera was fucking mind-blowing. It essentially weaves an entire catalog of camera and editing techniques (circa 1929) into a slice-of-Soviet-life documentary. It also manages to make cinema seem both unencumbered by logistical boundaries and inextricable from daily life, with many of its vast array of subjects composed to resemble, on some level, the moving parts of a camera. Required viewing for any cinephile.
    This. Just watched it tonight. If you were to call this the greatest film there is, I wouldn't argue with you. Every frame was just dripping with energy and feeling. Absolutely essential.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Many recent Sight & Sound voters agreed with your assessment. I really need to watch that again. Is it still streaming on Netflix?
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Oh yeah, i watched that in a "history of the Documentary" class in college. it's amazing.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post

42 is all about heroism. That said, I'm a huge Dodgers fan and watching Jackie Robinson's rookie career so adeptly portrayed was great. I thought the whole film was well made as far as sports dramas go, that they did not shy away from the brutality of the racism that Robinson fought through early in his career, and that, while it didn't show nuance to his character (he was known as a hot-head and an egotist) it was satisfying as a fan of his story. I enjoyed it.
    Watched it on my flight. I liked it too. But I felt like the story ended too soon. I wanted it to keep going.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    Many recent Sight & Sound voters agreed with your assessment. I really need to watch that again. Is it still streaming on Netflix?
    Yes, still streaming.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Oh yeah, i watched that in a "history of the Documentary" class in college. it's amazing.
    I've watched it in every. single. fucking. film. class. ever.

I loathe the announcement of it and groan as lights go out but about 3 minutes in i'm hooked all over again. its great to watch it with different scores attached to it (depends on the copy you watch or you could even find another and start it at the same time) as you get a whole different kind of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Watched it on my flight. I liked it too. But I felt like the story ended too soon. I wanted it to keep going.
    My mom said the same thing, but my dad and I agreed that was the point to end the story. It really is the tale of his first season and the post-script tied that up perfectly, with the photo of Don Newcombe and Roy Campanella joining Robinson on the Dodgers and showing that Ben Chapman (Phillies manager) was fired in the 1948 season and never managed again. Robinson had tons more story left in him, but that was further than the reach of the film, which really was about that iconic season.

Guy Maddin's Careful was much more of a hardcore art house film than I had anticipated, after having only seen My Winnipeg of his films before tonight. I did like it a good bit though, and now I'm chuckling at reading how some refer to him as "the Canadian David Lynch."

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Although Careful reminded me much more of Greenaway than Lynch.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    He's a dick for wanting to cut it. But, I mean, he's right.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

He's wrong, because the movie isn't going to play well in those markets regardless of running time. There are enough people out there that won't even bother watching a movie with subtitles, so why not market the film toward the type of people that actually want to see it?
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    He's wrong, because the movie isn't going to play well in those markets regardless of running time. There are enough people out there that won't even bother watching a movie with subtitles, so why not market the film toward the type of people that actually want to see it?
    Exactly! The problem with this dumb ass is he is quick to cut asian films, thinking they will play better to a western audience, because he is too cheap to actually market the films properly. There is a built in audience that already wants to see these films, but you lose that audience once they know you're going to fuck with the cut. They will go ahead and import the blu ray instead. People that weren't interested to begin with aren't suddenly going to see it because you've cut down the running time. Release it as it was meant to be seen and market the fucking thing properly or don't purchase the distribution rights.

Where's the petition to sign?
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Exactly! The problem with this dumb ass is he is quick to cut asian films, thinking they will play better to a western audience, because he is too cheap to actually market the films properly. There is a built in audience that already wants to see these films, but you lose that audience once they know you're going to fuck with the cut. They will go ahead and import the blu ray instead. People that weren't interested to begin with aren't suddenly going to see it because you've cut down the running time. Release it as it was meant to be seen and market the fucking thing properly or don't purchase the distribution rights.
    Pretty much. I was totally interested in seeing this film (though I have yet to catch up with Bong's previous films), but there's no way I'm wasting time to see the version that Harvey thinks will kill in Des Moines.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I'm impressed with her choices:

http://www.criterion.com/explore/202...jesus-s-top-10

What I saw in July...

The Bling Ring - Sofia Coppola - 83
    Super 8 - J.J. Abrums - 95
    Much Ado About Nothing - Joss Whedon - 90
    Wild Strawberries - Ingmar Bergman -100
    Spring Breakers - Harmony Korine - 100
    Pacific Rim - Guillermo Del Toro - 88
    The Wolverine - James Mangold - 68
    Cannibal! The Musical - Trey Parker - 98

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Warpaint 10/27, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Seen a couple good films lately. 'A Summer in Genoa' with the actor who played Marc Darsy in Bridgette Jones had you on edge the entire time. Was that established by, and carried through the entire film, the death of their Mother in the first scene? The camera angles and narrow Italian side streets I'm sure added to the paranoia of impending tragedy. I wanted to fast forward through a few parts because of how emotionally affecting they were. Phew, glad that's over.

Also, 'Byzantium' is a quality vampire film in an era of terrible ones.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Movies I've seen recently (Past 2 Months) and Ratings:
    Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore: B+
    Sci Fi Channel Dune Mini Series: A+
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: A-
    How to Train Your Dragon: A
    Jack Reacher: B
    Evil Dead (Remake): B-
    House of the Devil: B
    Haywire: B-
    British Series Sherlock Holmes: A+
    Session 9: A+
    The Inn Keepers: B-
    Last of the Mohicans: A
    Contagion: B
    Traffic: A
    World War Z: B
    Superman 2: A+
    District 9: A+
    This is the end: A+
    Check out my movie & Concert blog page here:

http://wildfiresreviews.blogspot.com/

Thanks guys!

Mud. Loved it. Best film of the year so far for me.

Absolutely dying to see it. Haven't been so captivated by something so quickly in a long long time.