Page 968 of 1030 FirstFirst ... 963964965966967968969970971972973 ... LastLast
Results 29,011 to 29,040 of 30880

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Tarkovsky. Have yet to see Soderbergh's version.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    Tarkovsky or Soderbergh?
    It was part of the LACMA Sci Fi after Kubrick series
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Coincidentally, I re-watched Soderbergh's version on Friday night. It's pretty strong for a Hollywood version of the same story, but at nearly half the length (and, as with most films by other people, half the genius) of Tarkovsky's version, it felt incomplete.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Caldera, the independent, animated short my daughter worked on, made the festival rounds last year (and won awards ), and has now been posted online:

This is a young group of filmmakers/animators. So proud of them. It is gorgeous.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

That's great - I can't wait to watch it. Congratulations to them!!!
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I continue to have a tough time with non-A Woman Under the Influence Cassavetes. It's difficult to pinpoint what it is exactly. I watched Husbands tonight and liked it ok, but wasn't overly enamored by it.
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Have you watched The Killing of a Chinese Bookie? I prefer that to A Woman Under the Influence.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Yeah you gotta watch Chinese Bookie. I love Cassavetes though... straight genius.

Have you seen Rosemary's Baby, Chris? One of my alltime favs, great Cassavetes acting.

Bookie was the first Cassavetes film I saw, and I really didn't like it.

Husbands had its moments, but some of the scenes were excruciatingly long to endure...that bar scene (and the bathroom scene that followed) in particular. I'm glad I stuck with it, but I considered turning it off after those two scenes.
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

If you're going thru the Cassavetes Criterion stuff, I think it works best to go through them chronologically. He definitely gets more control over his craft as he goes along. I think you'd probably appreciate Killing more after having seen the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I've only seen Shadows so far. He was excellent in Rosemary's Baby.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Warpaint 10/27, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

The trailer for Nicolas Winding Refn's new film looks pretty awesome:
    http://movies.yahoo.com/video/only-g...212241045.html

Hoping I like it more than Drive, which I intend to revisit one of these days to see if my opinion has softened.

After laying dormant in my queue for years, I finally watched The Spirit of the Beehive tonight. I'm most likely going to resort to my naturally hyperbolic self here, so I apologize in advance, but that was, without a doubt, among the ten best films I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. Initially a wonderful exploration into various themes of childhood including imagination, wonder, fear, and curiosity; the virtually dialogue-free second half is some of the most hypnotically paced, lushly pensive filmmaking I've witnessed. The minimal score was absolutely divine, the little girl said more in her facial expressions than most actors do ten times her age with dialogue.

I'm kicking myself for just now watching this.
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Joe, did you see that The Grandmasters got a wide release date of August 23rd?

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Joe, did you see that The Grandmasters got a wide release date of August 23rd?
    I did not see that. Thanks for the heads up! That is awesome news! Can't wait much longer for it.

Determined to catch Upstream Color and hoping to catch To the Wonder in between Coachella weekends while in LA.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Warpaint 10/27, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

jeez, how long has Tony Leung been around? He was in Hard Boiled.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    jeez, how long has Tony Leung been around? He was in Hard Boiled.
    As was Chow Yun Fat and he's still around. Not sure what your point is. There are actors still working today that have been around for way longer. I do have to say Tony Leung has been much smarter with his career choices than Chow Yun Fat and I still love the actor. Red Cliff, the two part version, is one of the most under appreciated films he's been featured in IMO. It's not perfect and gets a bit silly in the second part, but I still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    I did not see that. Thanks for the heads up! That is awesome news! Can't wait much longer for it.
    Yeah, I'm excited. It has to at least be fun to watch, even if it's not top-shelf Wong.

Quote Originally Posted by iv3rdawG View Post
    Tarkovsky. Have yet to see Soderbergh's version.
    Your avatar sucks.

May have to buy this before we get the Weinstein cut http://www.yesasia.com/us/the-grandm...0-en/info.html

Hoping it's the first cut they screened of the film. I heard they made more cuts for the international release and from the reviews I've read it sounds like it would benefit from having more footage put in instead of taken out.

I saw The Skin I Live In for the first time recently. I thought it was solid for an Almodovar movie (though I prefer Volver and Talk to Her from what I've seen of his work). I was also surprised by the plot, I thought it was going to be similar of Eyes Without A Face but it goes further.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

To the Wonder was an excellent if not pessimistic study on the transient nature of love, life, and faith, although it definitely suffers from similarities to The Tree of Life (virtually identical whisper-y, ponderous monologues) and having been released in such proximity to it (in Malick time, anyway). It was absolutely gorgeous on the exterior, as one would only expect from Malick, but with so much less substance and thematic content beneath the surface it's hard not to view it as rather slight compared to the aforementioned film that preceded it.
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I was just walking down Ventura blvd and saw this poster and got super excited

But it's a charity event and costs $75. ARGH.
    http://www.eventbrite.com/event/5958...ef=ebtnebtckt#
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Robocop was one of my favorite movies as a child! I grew up and found out that there was an unrated version and fell in love with this movie all over again.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
    "I hate you. I hate you. I donít even know you, and I hate your guts. I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and nobody else but you." -Silky Johnston

I never saw Robocop when it was on video, never saw it on HBO (the only cable network my parents would get), never really had a strong desire to seek it out and watch it. But, about 9-10 years ago I found a used copy of the Criterion DVD at a record store and bought it, thinking that I should watch it (plus, the DVD is out of print).

It was a good decision. Great story, well-acted, some good dark humor, and lots of quotable lines.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Saw "Trance" yesterday, because I'm a sucker for Danny Boyle. *Spoiler Sorta* The main character was a typical Boyle archetype, alienated from society to the point of madness, and the "heist" was a lot less interesting than I'd hoped, but it's a nice mind-bender with quality performances by the leads.

Go for the hipness of the art house, stay for the full frontal nudity. lol.

I saw Trance last weekend as well.
    I thought the storyline was interesting enough, it may not be as good as other Danny Boyle films, but i'm glad I saw it.
    It kept you watching from the beginning to the end.
    I do think however that there was too much violence in the film, and that they should have focused more on the hypnotism part and mind games instead of the violence.
    It's no where near as good as Millions or Slumdog Millionaire, but it's a worthwhile film at least.
    Grade: B-

This past weekend I also had the privilege to see The Place Beyond the Pines.
    Surprised nobody is talking about that film here,
    it was a great one.
    It didn't feel like 2 in a half hours long,
    everyone on the movie gave great performances, especially Bradley Cooper as the cop.
    I thought the film was going to be about something else then what it was, it's more about the relationship between fathers and son.
    A very well done movie, i highly recommend it!
    My grade: B+

Hopefully Elysium won't be this August's Total Recall.