Page 959 of 1033 FirstFirst ... 954955956957958959960961962963964 ... LastLast
Results 28,741 to 28,770 of 30990

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

So did anyone participate in the flash sale on criterion.com this week?

(somehow, I know that Xanman did, and would be more shocked if he didn't)
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Another Upstream Color screening got announced. RSVP for free here. Q&A as well. March 5th.
    https://attend-upstream-color.eventbrite.com/

Upstream Color was a lot to take in, but was completely remarkable. A substantial step forward for Carruth in every way (regardless of what you thought of Primer)...mesmerizing score, incredible imagery, shot in a style that, even after only two films, has quickly become very recognizable as his. I have only a vague idea of what it all meant, but I can't wait to see it again.
    12/04 - Angel Olson - El Rey (?)
    12/06 - Dr. John - Royce Hall (?)
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/20 - Stevie Wonder - Forum (?)
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Yeah, Upstream Color is fucking amazing. It doesn't initially seem stylistically kin to Primer - Carruth has essentially followed his lo-fi jigsaw puzzle with a Malick-descendent, kaleidoscopic fever dream that explores the connective tissues between identity, reality, and creation - but there is a distinctive through-line from the earlier film that can be subtly detected in the writing and editing (although Carruth has, this time around, solicited help in the latter field from the apparently brilliant director/editor David Lowery, whose Ain't Them Bodies Saints also debuted at Sundance and comes out in August). No question it's a tremendous step forward for Carruth, as well as a monolith (in both the landmark and 2001-open-ended-metaphor senses) in its own context. I can't fucking wait to see it a second time.

HERE ARE ITS THEATRICAL DATES EVERYWHERE. EXCUSES WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Except that it is airing in the Bay Area during both Coachella weekends

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015, SDCC 7/9-12/2015

1. These are release dates - the film will play for at least a week at all of the theaters listed after April 5th.
    2. It's better than Coachella.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Blasphemy, Gabe.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Yeah, Upstream Color is fucking amazing. [...]

I am really excited for this. I plan to see it shortly after it opens at the IFC Center.
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I am really excited for this. I plan to see it shortly after it opens at the IFC Center.
    You will love it. Basically, all of you will at least get something out of this.

Maybe not Randy.

I trust you, Gabe, as long it's not another Southland Tales.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Southland Tales is awesome.

But no, this is not another one of those.

1. These are release dates - the film will play for at least a week at all of the theaters listed after April 5th.
    2. It's better than Coachella.
    In that case, who wants to see it in LA in between Coachellas?

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015, SDCC 7/9-12/2015

Watched Compliance last night on Netflix and I'm convinced of its brilliance. "Based On A True Story" is one of the most over used and exploited devices in modern film but in this instance it's absolutely vital to the narrative. The movie made me uncomfortable. Then it made me angry and for the life of me I can't stop thinking about it. The acting, writing and directing are all superb and the movie manages to shine some light on the motives for some of the most unspeakable acts in human history - Nazi Germany, you name it. And it takes place in a fast food restaurant. And yeah, true story.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

So I finally watched Prometheus and I don't get it--what was everyone so pissed about? Seriously. Looked pretty, decent enough action though I hate the way Ridley has made strobe lighting an affect of any space ship in distress (which got carried over from Alien to every single shitty space movie ever made), and definitely made me tilt my head at the screen a few times pondering the implications of what the Engineers are supposed to represent. Totally dug the merging of traits from numerous ancient God lores and incorporating it into the more current scientific viewpoint that life started from alien matter that landed on Earth somehow, although in this instance it's intentional but I still like it.

It made my mind start whirring going back over concepts of creationism and religion I'd spent years dissecting as a teenager when I had a lot of drugs around. Lots of the ancient myths are similar from one culture to the other--Norse gave way to Greeks gave way to Romans and their lore got reinterpreted in a different language with different names and somewhat different content but a lot of the same ideas. Similarly, Judaism evolved into Christianity and then that evolved into Islam. What if none of them are wrong? What if the differences between them are really just a reinterpretation due to cultural and language differences that were then beefed up with these human-invented concepts that any of them are more correct than the other--or that God gives a flying fuck--by men who were trying to seize power? Reducing the creator-beings to just some simplistic embodiments of either life-giving or life-taking also kinda rubs me the right way. If you're doing a creation lore you better either get REAL detailed--which is gonna piss people off--or keep it REAL broad, which apparently still pisses a lot of people off.

Generally speaking I'm a big sucker for any time someone looks at the question of what happened to God and the answer is just that He fucked off for whatever reason. Got bored, didn't like us so much anymore, whatever. Seems infinitely more logical than the general precept that if there is a God, that God must still care about us and is still hanging around with his thumb up His ass not doing anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

This pretty much goes over everything I thought was hilariously bad about Prometheus, specifically the motivations/actions of characters and their personalities. I enjoyed Prometheus, but when I saw it a second time I noticed all these ridiculous things that much more.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RBaKq...%3DRBaKqOMGPWc

Eh, this is a lot funnier at making the same criticisms: http://charismagic.tumblr.com/post/2...inutes-or-less

The problem--and it seems like a lot of people have forgotten this--is that these are inherently fucking ridiculous movies. In the first Alien there's like two or three times particularly towards the end where you're just like "OH GO FUCK YOURSELF THE ALIEN WAS ALL THE WAY AT THE OTHER END OF THE SHIP AND NOW IT'S OVER HERE WHAT IS THIS SHIT," and little to nothing about the Alien is explained at all and it's all a big mind fuck but it works so it's cool. Then in Aliens it's okay, I get why the Marines are here, they're Marines. I get why the greedy Jew is here, he's greedy. But why the fuck is this chick willing to go back to the planet that birthed the things that horrifyingly killed her entire crew? And why don't space marines wear anything more defensive than a light jacket? And did we really have to make the big death moment for the alien being sucked into space AGAIN? That's how we ended the last movie.

They're not great stories and frankly I'm not sure that they could be. There's not much meat to the subject.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Watched Compliance last night on Netflix and I'm convinced of its brilliance. "Based On A True Story" is one of the most over used and exploited devices in modern film but in this instance it's absolutely vital to the narrative. The movie made me uncomfortable. Then it made me angry and for the life of me I can't stop thinking about it. The acting, writing and directing are all superb and the movie manages to shine some light on the motives for some of the most unspeakable acts in human history - Nazi Germany, you name it. And it takes place in a fast food restaurant. And yeah, true story.
    I agree its a chilling movie. You think its too fucked up to actually be real and then I read about the real life story and its all basically real. Worth a watch if your in the mood. Definitely not feel good.

Peter Greenaway is a crazy bastard. I watched A Zed & Two Noughts tonight, and this is the second time in as many films that I was mostly onboard throughout, but then came this wonderful ending that totally won me over.

Where to go next after The Cook and A Zed? I'm assuming The Belly of an Architect is the next logical step.
    12/04 - Angel Olson - El Rey (?)
    12/06 - Dr. John - Royce Hall (?)
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/20 - Stevie Wonder - Forum (?)
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The Belly of an Architect.

Compliance was wonderful.

Prometheus was fantastic if you took most of the characters out.

Can't wait for Upstream Color.

Just watched Bully (2001) for the first time. What a deeply disturbing and great movie, way better than Kids imo. Michael Pitt is one of my favorites after his character in Boardwalk, he did a great job like always.

1/29 Patti Smith @ Theatre At The Ace Hotel
    2/12 Babes In Toyland @ The Roxy

Chronicle was kind of the shit. Absolutely the best found-footage film I've seen so far (and maybe possible), and admirably dark in a way that superhero movies almost never dare to be.

Chronicle was kind of the shit. Absolutely the best found-footage film I've seen so far (and maybe possible), and admirably dark in a way that superhero movies almost never dare to be.
    Yes! Glad other people feel the same.. I posted earlier in here that Chronicle was my favorite surprise of last year.

1/29 Patti Smith @ Theatre At The Ace Hotel
    2/12 Babes In Toyland @ The Roxy

I saw Side Effects yesterday, it was pretty good, I'd say the less you know about the movie going in the more you'll enjoy it. Rooney Mara (doesn't it sound like her last name and first name should be switched?) did a great job playing depressed.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    Just watched Bully (2001) for the first time. What a deeply disturbing and great movie, way better than Kids imo. Michael Pitt is one of my favorites after his character in Boardwalk, he did a great job like always.
    Great movie. Gave me a sick, dirty feeling the whole time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Bully is fucking garbage.

So Christopher Nolan is in talks to take over Justice League and apparently bale will reprise his role as batman. Interesting.

Could be dope

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Great movie. Gave me a sick, dirty feeling the whole time.
    This movie made me queasy too, but I love that about it. I would say some of the acting was great. Michael Pitt was pretty funny. Loved his comment to Bijou Phillips when they pick her up and she asks for tweak. "How was rehab?" ... Great timing. I thought at first that there was no way anyone would be intimidated by a baby-faced Nick Stahl. But once I started watching I was surprised how believable he was as a villain.

Side note - one of the best movies I've seen with Nick Stahl is In the Bedroom. Oscar nominated film, must watch if you've not seen it.
    Last edited by ThatGirl; 03-04-2013 at 07:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    So Christopher Nolan is in talks to take over Justice League and apparently bale will reprise his role as batman. Interesting.
    Somehow, I can't imagine this to be 100% the truth, not to mention, he's already got his post-Bat project lined-up, not to mention Bale stating he was done with the character (nothing a HUGE payday wouldn't fix though). Also, this goes off the assumption that just because Avengers is out, a Justice League movie would totally work, not taking into account that Marvel made at least five movies that all teased and lead to Avengers over a four year period. Somehow, I just don't see Justice League either a) happening anytime soon, or b) being watchable.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    This movie made me queasy too, but I love that about it. I would say some of the acting was great. Michael Pitt was pretty funny. Loved his comment to Bijou Phillips when they pick her up and she asks for tweak. "How was rehab?" ... Great timing. I thought at first that there was no way anyone would be intimidated by a baby-faced Nick Stahl. But once I started watching I was surprised how believable he was as a villain.
    My favorite part of that movie is when the find the crabs eating the body, and Derek says, "Nature sucks."
    last.fm
    11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo