Page 957 of 1015 FirstFirst ... 952953954955956957958959960961962 ... LastLast
Results 28,681 to 28,710 of 30431

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Interestingly, I read a review that speculated part of the reason she didn't receive a well deserved Oscar nomination was due to the movie's content, since the noms came out right after the incident at Sandy Hook.

This news story made me think of that movie. I started reading the book I should really finish it...
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

My weekend consisted of the following:

Magic Mike - Excellent, in all the ways that "Steven Soderbergh making a male stripper movie" would suggest.

Celeste and Jesse Forever - Intriguing premise, but awful execution.

Lastly, I watched Robert Altman's Nashville yesterday morning. It was fucking amazing. I've had trouble with some of Altman's stuff before, but this movie - seemingly the one where his trademark style was perfected - was a masterpiece, a sprawlingly heartfelt collision of lovers, dreamers, entertainers and string-pullers. It's the kind of thrillingly alive cinematic canvas where it feels like anything could happen at any time. After digging this and McCabe & Mrs. Miller as much as I did, I may need to go on a 70's Altman binge in the near future.
    Last edited by schoolofruckus; 02-11-2013 at 08:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Felt a little bit under the weather this weekend so decided to just go a movie marathon type deal. First off I finally watched the Bourne Trilogy. Received them as a gift a few years back but never watched them until now. After the first one my thought was why did I wait so long to watch it and had the same feeling after all of them. I thought all three were great. Next I went online and streamed the Bourne Legacy and what a downer. Not that I was expecting it to hold up or anything but shit. When it first started it actually was good and I liked the concept of it. However one of the worst stupidest endings I've ever seen in a movie. Last movie I watched was That's My Boy. It was on HBO or one of those channels last night so I just figured what the hell. I thought it was going to be a stupid movie and it was for the most part. However that shit was hilarious, the most I've laughed during a movie in a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Celeste and Jesse Forever - Intriguing premise, but awful execution.
    I watched that on Friday as well. I though it was decent and had enough laughs to keep me entertained. At least it was only 90 minutes so it didn't drag too much. I don't know whats up with comedies these days but 2 hour comedies generally don't work and it seems like a lot of comedies lately have been way too long (aka Bridesmaids, 5 year engagement, etc).

I watched Sound City on Saturday. The documentary by Dave Grohl on the Sound City Studios. Was really entertaining and amazing to see how many great albums were recorded at that place. Good job by Dave on his first film.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

All Primer fans in the Bay Area need to jump on this shit:
    http://sffs.org/Exhibition/Special-P...eam-color.aspx
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Also, Lars von Trier's The Nymphomaniac has been purchased by Magnolia Pictures. They will apparently not be finished with it until after Cannes, but hopefully it'll land before the end of the year.

All Primer fans in the Bay Area need to jump on this shit:
    http://sffs.org/Exhibition/Special-P...eam-color.aspx
    Damn. Lucky.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

It'll be out here during Coachella Weekend 1, playing at the Sundance Cinemas on Sunset.

Actually, here are all of its engagements:
    http://erbpfilm.com/film/upstreamcolor#screenings

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Lastly, I watched Robert Altman's Nashville yesterday morning. It was fucking amazing. I've had trouble with some of Altman's stuff before, but this movie - seemingly the one where his trademark style was perfected - was a masterpiece, a sprawlingly heartfelt collision of lovers, dreamers, entertainers and string-pullers. It's the kind of thrillingly alive cinematic canvas where it feels like anything could happen at any time. After digging this and McCabe & Mrs. Miller as much as I did, I may need to go on a 70's Altman binge in the near future.
    Yes! This movie is astounding.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Watched/listened to Possession (1981) today at work after seeing it referenced on another board. What a crazy movie. Kind of Euro-Lynchian. Anyone else seen it? It's not universally acclaimed but it was weird enough to be entertaining.

I somehow missed Possession even though Cinefamily played it around 15 times last year. I did, however, see Zulawski's On the Silver Globe:

I liked On the Silver Globe quite a bit more than Chris did, I think. It is unequivocally one of the most bonkers films I've ever encountered - the kind of movie that dares you to doubt its existence even as it unspools in front of you. I've put that description on a variety of films from the masterful The Holy Mountain to the in-no-way-masterful-but-thoroughly-entertaining Southland Tales; yet this one outpaces either of those (and anything else that comes to mind) in its commitment to formal and philosophical audacity and hallucinatory originality. There were stretches where I could have believed that it was literally made on a different planet.

It's a film that has survived a rare degree of butchery. Legend has it that production was shut down in the late 70's by the Polish Minister of Culture (no doubt fearful of Zulawski's complex viewpoints and affinity for the extreme) with a considerable amount of material left to shoot, with costumes and sets and many other resources immediately seized and destroyed. When Zulawski was later persuaded to salvage the surviving footage of his would-be masterpiece, he opted to narrate the unfilmed portions of the script over nondescript footage filmed in then-contemporary Poland rather than attempt to create the film's visionary universe a second time. It's a decision that makes more than a little sense (I can only imagine how creatively exhausting it was to concoct the first time), but in practice - and in tandem with the film's far-reaching plot, which concerns an astronaut's journey to the moon to free a civilization spawned during a previous astronaut mission from the terror reign of a mutant race of bird-men - the result isn't so much a film that you follow as one you chase.

Nevertheless, while it is absolutely a draining experience to sit through, it hung together for me because I felt it was a work of uncommon substance. It's pretty rare to see a film where characters routinely shriek existential poetry in between sequences of orgy and impalement, but Zulawski (in what research suggests is the raison d'etre for most of his work) expertly uses grueling physicality as a gateway to intellectual transcendence; in this case, he has crafted a landmark portrayal of the birth of civilization and the philosophical progression mankind has taken from the spiritual toward the secular. That's a really simplistic way of putting it, and I think I've made it clear this is a film that is absolutely not going to be fully digested on a single viewing (or potentially a hundred). But I am super gratified to see that, contrary to my expectations after last night's screening, it is available on DVD (albeit in 1.33 rather than its glorious native 1.66), and thus I will probably have the chance to refine my impressions of it. Regardless, if you live in New York and you haven't solidified your plans to get loaded for St. Patrick's Day, I would suggest you head down to BAMcinematek. This shit will get you fucked up in ways you can't even dream of.

If you haven't seen it already, The Long Goodbye is fantastic 70s era Altman. I watched it on Netlfix for the first time a couple months back and enjoyed it as much as any of his films.

It's been on my Netflix Instant queue since a minute after I wrote that paragraph, along with Thieves Like Us. California Split is also on my Amazon Instant watchlist.

SERIOUS BUSINESS GUYS

Criterion's whole HULU catalog is FREE all weekend long!

http://www.hulu.com/movies/criterion

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1),12(2),13(1),13(2)
    Upcoming shows
    Neutral Milk Hotel 4/9, The Knife 4/15, The Dandy Warhols 4/23, First Aid Kit 5/26, Parquet Courts 5/27, The Faint 6/1, Lady Gaga 6/3, Robyn/Röyksopp 6/29, Sharon Van Etten 6/29, Deafheaven 7/2, Cloud Nothings 7/7
    Events
    Knifechella 4/11-13&18-20, SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015

I saw The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover last night at the New Beverly, and the first thing I said to Matt upon walking outside was "That was INSANE!" I hadn't seen this or any of Peter Greenaway's movies previously, and aside from the things implied by an NC-17 rating (HOLY FUCK HELEN MIRREN), I'm not entirely sure what I thought I was getting into...but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a sensually fetishistic, almost Marquis de Sade-esque tale of adultery juxtaposed with the theatrical artifice of Dick Tracy and formal rigorousness of Brian DePalma. One of Matt's friends mentioned that Greenaway had intended the film as a satire of Margaret Thatcher, which I find amusing....but then, I just found this movie extremely fucking amusing overall.
    With the massively NSFW trailer for Greenaway's new one coming out this past week, I decided he's the director I'll delve into in the next few months. Watched ^this tonight, it was the first of his films for me as well. It really felt like I was watching a live play for a lot of it...gorgeously shot, the costume work was phenomenal, probably the most theatrical film I've ever seen. All that aside though, HOLY SHIT THAT ENDING...

I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I searched and how is there no posting of the Evil Dead remake trailer? I actually just saw it a couple days ago, and it'll either be one of the most shocking horror films to come out or Hollywood will fuck this up. Hopefully the former since Raimi is producing

4/17 Pixies @ Pappy & Harriets
    4/26 Desert Daze @ Sunset Ranch Oasis
    5/26 Panda Bear @ Pappy & Harriets
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    I searched and how is there no posting of the Evil Dead remake trailer? I actually just saw it a couple days ago, and it'll either be one of the most shocking horror films to come out or Hollywood will fuck this up. Hopefully the former since Raimi is producing

It looks surprisingly awesome. They took some of the cheese out (it'll be a different franchise without Bruce), but it looks pretty sweet. I'm wondering if they plan on making just this single film, or a trilogy.

It got an NC-17 but is going to be cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Why the fuck is youtube loading like I have a 56K? What is even more frustrating is the advertisements before the video plays load/play seamlessly without any wait, stops, or stutters. But the second the actual video starts, its like my internet has gone to complete shit.
    Anyone else having this issue?

On Topic: Evil Dead looks absolutely amazing. I haven't been this excited to see a horror movie in an incredibly long time.
    Last edited by Dogvolta; 02-18-2013 at 09:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Watched/listened to Possession (1981) today at work after seeing it referenced on another board. What a crazy movie. Kind of Euro-Lynchian. Anyone else seen it? It's not universally acclaimed but it was weird enough to be entertaining.
    I'm late on this one, but I just want to go ahead and say Heinrich is probably the best character ever.
    05/07/14 Morrissey (hopefully) - San Jose Civic
    06/06/14 Buzzcocks - Slim's
    06/26/14 Veruca Salt - the Independent

I don't recall his performance as much as the two main characters, or even the strange dude with the pink socks.

Question - Does anyone know of a good program for the PC that converts .avi files and what not to DVDs that isn't impossible to figure out how to burn subtitles?

The programs I've tried are all impossible.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

VigoTheCarpathian

The Gene Generation was on TMC last night. It was pretty fucking awful.

Tonight I watched Louis Malle's Elevator to the Gallows. Absolute perfection. An all-time great film, this one.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

We are at an Oscars party drinking Sofia Coppola wine in a can and eating popcorn cookies. Later there will be Blue Velvet cupcakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Tonight I watched Louis Malle's Elevator to the Gallows. Absolute perfection. An all-time great film, this one.
    The soundtrack is so great as well. I hope we get a Criterion Blu upgrade soon!

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1),12(2),13(1),13(2)
    Upcoming shows
    Neutral Milk Hotel 4/9, The Knife 4/15, The Dandy Warhols 4/23, First Aid Kit 5/26, Parquet Courts 5/27, The Faint 6/1, Lady Gaga 6/3, Robyn/Röyksopp 6/29, Sharon Van Etten 6/29, Deafheaven 7/2, Cloud Nothings 7/7
    Events
    Knifechella 4/11-13&18-20, SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015

Walter White is on stage at the oscars. Dear god yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

So it usually takes me until after the Oscars to finally finish my list, but it's as complete as it can be for now...

1. Amour
    2. The Kid with a Bike
    3. The Master
    4. Zero Dark Thirty
    5. Tabu
    6. Lincoln
    7. Oslo, August 31st
    8. Django Unchained
    9. Beasts of the Southern Wild
    10. Holy Motors

Honorable Mention: How to Survive a Plague, The Deep Blue Sea, Argo, Moonrise Kingdom, Dark Horse, Killing Them Softly, The Queen of Versailles, Your Sister's Sister, Magic Mike, Bernie

Films I still really want to see: POST TENEBRAS LUX, This is Not a Film, Cosmopolis, The Loneliest Planet, 5 Broken Cameras, Barbara, Neighboring Sounds, The Color Wheel, Rust & Bone, Wuthering Heights, Anna Karenina, The Comedy, Alps, The Sessions, Leviathan, Take This Waltz
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.