Page 956 of 1034 FirstFirst ... 951952953954955956957958959960961 ... LastLast
Results 28,651 to 28,680 of 30998

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

In "The Minority Report" Anderton is fat, old and balding. He is a typical Dickian protagonist in that he is half-incompetent and unsure of himself. In the film he is played by Tom Cruise and is a superhuman (though, to be fair, he is a divorced drug addict).

In the short story two of the pre-cogs think Anderton will kill a General and one of them (the minority report) says that he will not; the fact that there is a minority report and that Anderton hears about the reports that drive the story. In Minority Report there is no actual minority report, the pre-cogs agree on what Anderton will do. The film is about the pre-cogs and pre-crime (or, rather, pre-muder) but they are not integral to the plot.

In the Dick version the minority report is explained and Anderton kills the General, realizing that he must. Pre-crime is affirmed, even in such complicated situations. In Spielberg's version Anderton says, no, I have free will, I don't have to kill you. The pre-cogs don't actually see the future and pre-crime is a bad thing. His boss commits suicide and the system is shut down.

Spielberg, et al took ideas from the source material and then attacked the premises and conclusions.

I haven't seen it recently enough to remember what Stromare did but I will admit that the movie looked stylish and cool and that the computers and optical recognition systems were fantastic (though, again, because Spielberg is who he is there was no actual bite to the ads because they were real; actual businesses paid money to look futuristic and cool).

I think Spielberg is a great technician, he is exceptionally proficient at what he does. I just hate what he does, what he wishes to present, the messages he wishes to share and promote.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 02-02-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: forgot about Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

The Master dvdrip is up on The Pirate Bay now!
    Upcoming Shows:
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    The Master dvdrip is up on The Pirate Bay now!
    Dude. Wait for the Bluray for that one.
    12/04 - Angel Olson - El Rey (?)
    12/06 - Dr. John - Royce Hall (?)
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/20 - Stevie Wonder - Forum (?)
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Dude. Wait for the Bluray for that one.
    This will likely be the first Bluray I buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I concur with the folks who said Lincoln was a very good film. It was definitely not a Best Picture, in my opinion, but the political intrigue and Lincoln's stories were super-entertaining.

Personally I think film geeks bag on Spielberg way too much. Like Tarantino and Scorcese, he's a master of nailing SCENES. He may be too broad and grandiose in the stories he's telling, at times, but there are always some really, really fantastic scenes that stand out and make the film notable. Lincoln is no exception to this, nor is War Horse, Jurassic Park, etc. Crystal Skull may be, frankly I don't remember much about the movie except some flying monkeys and the retarded kid from "Transformers". And a refrigerator. I think the intro sequence with Indy was good, though.

War Horse was saccharine at times, although that may be part and parcel of the source material, but I thought it was a well made, entertaining film. Shoot me.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    War Horse was saccharine at times, although that may be part and parcel of the source material
    Yeah, that happens when you adapt a children's novel.

A number of people recommended seeing the play version solely because the horse puppetry was so impressive. They said that the story was cheesy and forgettable but see it anyway.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 02-04-2013 at 08:49 AM.
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

The play was absolutely stunning. Beyond the puppetry, it was exceptionally staged in a way i had never seen before - incredible use of minimalist props, lighting, sound effects, music, and jaw-dropping choreography.
    last.fm
    11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Well, if the parts about using horses like machinery was true then there was a minor eye-opener for me, but other than that pretty standard cheesy war film fare. I just so happen to not hate cheese in a film if I expect it to be there from the outset, which I most certainly did.

Seen two films recently that I'd give a solid "A" grade. The Moroccan 'Ali Zaoua: Prince of the Streets', set in the run down port city of Casablanca, about child gangs and friendships was touching and true. Anyone who has dealt with Arab street kids should check it out for a different perspective. And 'Roman Holiday' is so much fun and really captured the feeling and sights of Rome. Audrey Hepburn is very beautiful along side Gregory Pecks' kindhearted tall, dark, and handsome romantic character. Liked the realism of the ending too.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    This will likely be the first Bluray I buy.
    Dang, holding strong.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015, SDCC 7/9-12/2015

so The Master loved Phoenix so much because he thought he could flip him, but turned sour and cold when those attempts appeared unsuccessful? That's real healthy.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Crystal Skull may be, frankly I don't remember much about the movie except some flying monkeys and the retarded kid from "Transformers". And a refrigerator. I think the intro sequence with Indy was good, though.
    pure and utter crap that movie was, no excuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I watched We Need to Talk About Kevin last night and I couldn't get it out of my mind afterwards. I absolutely loved Tilda Swinton's performance but the movie really left me rattled.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    so The Master loved Phoenix so much because he thought he could flip him, but turned sour and cold when those attempts appeared unsuccessful? That's real healthy.
    What is this supposed to mean?
    12/04 - Angel Olson - El Rey (?)
    12/06 - Dr. John - Royce Hall (?)
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/20 - Stevie Wonder - Forum (?)
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I watched We Need to Talk About Kevin last night and I couldn't get it out of my mind afterwards. I absolutely loved Tilda Swinton's performance but the movie really left me rattled.
    I was bothered for weeks after I saw it. It's an great movie, though.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    What is this supposed to mean?
    did you watch the movie? I was just commenting on the character of The Master with whole ultimatum at the end ("If you walk out of here you will be my enemy in this life and the next"). An unhealthy mentality to have. Wasn't about a loving relationship with Phoenix the man, no matter if they merrily rolled around in the grass together at times, but one of control and manipulation. Never about the person, all about the conquest. He referred to his "animal" behavior often, because he viewed him that way. Like a untrained dog. But, hey, that's The Master for ya.

Yeah, that movie was chilling. Of course Johnny's score added to the overall freakiness of it. Tilda was amazing in it and I thought it was really well done. It seemed like it was overlooked somewhat when it came out. I'm not sure how many "Columbine" type movies the general public can handle so thats part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    Yeah, that movie was chilling. Of course Johnny's score added to the overall freakiness of it. Tilda was amazing in it and I thought it was really well done. It seemed like it was overlooked somewhat when it came out. I'm not sure how many "Columbine" type movies the general public can handle so thats part of the problem.
    Interestingly, I read a review that speculated part of the reason she didn't receive a well deserved Oscar nomination was due to the movie's content, since the noms came out right after the incident at Sandy Hook.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Swinton was admittedly great, but she wasn't nominated this year because the movie was released in late 2011. And, to further be that guy, if you like the movie you should absolutely read Lionel Shriver's book. It was the first thing of hers I'd read, and it trumps the movie in virtually every way. And I love the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    Swinton was admittedly great, but she wasn't nominated this year because the movie was released in late 2011.
    I was going to say the same thing, but I looked it up and it actually didn't get theatrical release until January 2012, which is what determines the year of awards eligibility. It made the festival rounds in 2011, but that doesn't count as a release.
    last.fm

I thought about that, too, but IMDB has listed a December 9, 2011, New York non-festival release date. L.A.'s listed as January 20, 2012, but the New York release would trump that, right? I admit I don't know all the ins and outs of Oscar regulations, so I could be totally wrong. It's been known to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

You are correct. I have read a few different reports about the release dates. It did get a limited release in both NY and L.A. in December 2011.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    You are correct. I have read a few different reports about the release dates. It did get a limited release in both NY and L.A. in December 2011.
    However It was up for 2012 nominations - it also was included in 2012 Golden Globes noms.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Its Oscar qualifying run was at Cinefamily.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

on VHS. Good cast, average special effects.

[continued synopsis]...while his last name is Applesperm, he is not a fruit fucker. He wears a pot on his head like Johnny Appleseed. Instead of chopping trees and planting apples into the ground, Johnny Applesperm plants his seed into vagina orchards otherwise known as Cunt Trees.

Interestingly, I read a review that speculated part of the reason she didn't receive a well deserved Oscar nomination was due to the movie's content, since the noms came out right after the incident at Sandy Hook.

This news story made me think of that movie. I started reading the book I should really finish it...
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

My weekend consisted of the following:

Magic Mike - Excellent, in all the ways that "Steven Soderbergh making a male stripper movie" would suggest.

Celeste and Jesse Forever - Intriguing premise, but awful execution.

Lastly, I watched Robert Altman's Nashville yesterday morning. It was fucking amazing. I've had trouble with some of Altman's stuff before, but this movie - seemingly the one where his trademark style was perfected - was a masterpiece, a sprawlingly heartfelt collision of lovers, dreamers, entertainers and string-pullers. It's the kind of thrillingly alive cinematic canvas where it feels like anything could happen at any time. After digging this and McCabe & Mrs. Miller as much as I did, I may need to go on a 70's Altman binge in the near future.
    Last edited by schoolofruckus; 02-11-2013 at 09:02 AM.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Felt a little bit under the weather this weekend so decided to just go a movie marathon type deal. First off I finally watched the Bourne Trilogy. Received them as a gift a few years back but never watched them until now. After the first one my thought was why did I wait so long to watch it and had the same feeling after all of them. I thought all three were great. Next I went online and streamed the Bourne Legacy and what a downer. Not that I was expecting it to hold up or anything but shit. When it first started it actually was good and I liked the concept of it. However one of the worst stupidest endings I've ever seen in a movie. Last movie I watched was That's My Boy. It was on HBO or one of those channels last night so I just figured what the hell. I thought it was going to be a stupid movie and it was for the most part. However that shit was hilarious, the most I've laughed during a movie in a long time.
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?