Page 944 of 1024 FirstFirst ... 939940941942943944945946947948949 ... LastLast
Results 28,291 to 28,320 of 30700

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Or, you could just not watch it if it's not your style. I like that he's a little outside of the box.
    Is it outside the box if everyone is standing inside the box with a paid ticket in their hand? "The box" just ain't what it used to be.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Jackie Brown has been my favorite of his films since the first time I saw it, after having seen Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. Pulp Fiction was his master work, in my opinion. It's all his. Jackie Brown owes a debt to Elmore Leonard that Pulp Fiction does not owe. Pulp Fiction marked the end of Terantino as an artist, and the beginning of his life as a pop director. Everything since PF has been marred by sudden popularity without review. In other words.... his movies are just good based on being Terantino films. Kill Bill was cool. Inglorious Bastards was cool. Everything he does is just cool. Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown? Those are films you can put in whenever, and people will be drawn in whether they've seen it a hundred times or once. I've liked all of his films for various reasons, but I have yet to see Django Unchained. I've heard from people who aren't really into movies that it's a good movie.... so I'm guessing it's another pop sensation just because. I hope I'm wrong.
    This whole post is a mess. You understand that Jackie Brown came after Pulp Fiction, right? but it gained sudden popularity without review and this was the first movie where Quentin transitioned from artist to pop film maker...

You do a terrible job of explaining your thoughts.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

At the very least, Tarantino is giving people exactly what is being advertised. The trailers for his movies are not misleading whatsoever.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Making movies that his satisfy his own desires for a movie, spaghetti westerns, revenge flicks, samarai films, rather than taking an audience into account with something like character development. And, i don't care if the movie is over two hours, but if you're going to jerk yourself off maybe keep it under two hours. Just me, though.
    This makes a little more sense. You don't like the direction he went after Jackie Brown and that's a fine comment to make but you lost me on character development. I see a full fleshed out story in each of these movies and i'm missing where he is sacraficing character development for masturbation. Flesh out your argument a bit and give us specifics. Which characters did you not learn enough about at the cost of this self gratification? Also, how are you defining this masturbation beyond just his homage to spaghetti westerns and revenge flicks?

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    This whole post is a mess. You understand that Jackie Brown came after Pulp Fiction, right? but it gained sudden popularity without review and this was the first movie where Quentin transitioned from artist to pop film maker...

Are you focused on the point, or did you totally miss it? I'm down to see about anything he releases, within reason, based on the two movies he's made that will still matter thirty years from now. Does it really matter which one came first? I just assumed PF came out first, because I remember all the ads circulating for it back in the day, but I hardly remember any mention of Jackie Brown. That actually makes me further appreciate the importance of Jackie Brown. Reservoir Dogs was a good start, with Pulp Fiction efficiently wrapping up the whole gangster genre, and Jackie Brown taking it into a new dark alley of sorts. Random People have little appreciation for his work, and he's releasing his films in hopes of drawing in those same Random People knowing that his real fans will go regardless. I'll go check out Django this week, now that all of the people who just wanted to say they saw it first have already gone. Time for some film appreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesula View Post
    TERANTINO
    thx

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Are you focused on the point, or did you totally miss it? I'm down to see about anything he releases, within reason, based on the two movies he's made that will still matter thirty years from now. Does it really matter which one came first? I just assumed PF came out first, because I remember all the ads circulating for it back in the day, but I hardly remember any mention of Jackie Brown. That actually makes me further appreciate the importance of Jackie Brown. Reservoir Dogs was a good start, with Pulp Fiction efficiently wrapping up the whole gangster genre, and Jackie Brown taking it into a new dark alley of sorts. Random People have little appreciation for his work, and he's releasing his films in hopes of drawing in those same Random People knowing that his real fans will go regardless. I'll go check out Django this week, now that all of the people who just wanted to say they saw it first have already gone. Time for some film appreciation.
    Ad-nauseum.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

This makes a little more sense. You don't like the direction he went after Jackie Brown and that's a fine comment to make but you lost me on character development. I see a full fleshed out story in each of these movies and i'm missing where he is sacraficing character development for masturbation. Flesh out your argument a bit and give us specifics. Which characters did you not learn enough about at the cost of this self gratification? Also, how are you defining this masturbation beyond just his homage to spaghetti westerns and revenge flicks?
    It's not the direction I dislike it's that I feel he's made the same film over three times. The characters seem simply tools of revenge, with more effort given to the stylistic violence than who these characters are, and why we should care about them. Maybe he did a better job with Kill Bill. But, the point was made regarding the trailers, and what you should expect. I was just expecting more, which was my mistake.
    Last edited by buddy; 12-31-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Tarantino's characters usually have a great deal of depth. The exceptions to this are Death Proof (my hatred of which has been sufficiently covered here) and Inglourious Basterds, which I found mostly exhilarating but ultimately his second-worst movie. Which is a testament to how good he can be and usually is. I'm hoping Django reverses course.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Saw Knocked Up and The 40 Year Old Virgin last night and just finished Funny People. I haven't seen them all since around when Funny People came out in theaters. Heading to see This is 40 now!

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Echo & the Bunnymen 8/2, #BEENTRILL#/Jesse Andrews OSL Afterparty 8/8, Sir Paul McCartney 8/14, Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Charli XCX 10/25
    Events
    SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    Saw Knocked Up and The 40 Year Old Virgin last night and just finished Funny People. I haven't seen them all since around when Funny People came out in theaters. Heading to see This is 40 now!
    Impressive
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

"On my birthday I made everyone go see The Avengers. Do you like Thor? Chris Hemsworth? He's so good-looking. I think he should be Christian Grey."

- My grandmother, setting the family's cultural standard for the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    My problems with Looper are identical to my problems with Inception. They're both primarily action movies that drastically over-explain their admittedly clever premises, and take the science out of sci-fi by choosing to engage with their ideas exclusively via simplistic genre tropes (the Bond-derived dream settings in Inception, the time-travel-as-device-for-mob-vengeance-only here) rather than scenarios that require actual imagination or intellectual complexity.
    Excessive use of exposition or not, I just thought the whole thing was kind of hair-brained. I was actually pretty on-board with it until it got to the kid being the Rainmaker part, and the dramatic sequences/special effects that went along with it. It got unstomachably cheesy at that point.

I was, however, massively impressed by Flight. I can't honestly say that I'm pulling more for Denzel to win an Oscar than Philip Seymour Hoffman at this point, but they both turned in equally remarkable performances in my book and I'd be happy if either took home the prize. And I had really hopped ship as far as Denzel goes some time ago, I think it was after that god awful Deja Vu. But he was absolutely fantastic in this, and the film as a whole was fantastic as well.

And John Goodman absolutely killed me. The most I've laughed at a role of his since The Big Lebowski for sure.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Saw Django today; fucking loved it. Tarantino with a brilliant, bloody spin on the endless Django narrative. I love all of the throwbacks to the westerns, with the fast zooms, the sheepskin jacket, and Franco Nero's amazing cameo. I was laughing out loud at points, (Waltz, Leo, and Foxx delivering awesome performances) and the scenes of violence against slaves were brutal.

I had a blast though. The Rick Ross track had my head bobbing; all the music was great to be honest. Especially the original Django theme song.

Is Jack Reacher supposed to be a parody or something? Man, that movie looks absolutely horrible

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Excessive use of exposition or not, I just thought the whole thing was kind of hair-brained. I was actually pretty on-board with it until it got to the kid being the Rainmaker part, and the dramatic sequences/special effects that went along with it. It got unstomachably cheesy at that point.

I was, however, massively impressed by Flight. I can't honestly say that I'm pulling more for Denzel to win an Oscar than Philip Seymour Hoffman at this point, but they both turned in equally remarkable performances in my book and I'd be happy if either took home the prize. And I had really hopped ship as far as Denzel goes some time ago, I think it was after that god awful Deja Vu. But he was absolutely fantastic in this, and the film as a whole was fantastic as well.

And John Goodman absolutely killed me. The most I've laughed at a role of his since The Big Lebowski for sure.
    Maybe check out Fallen, if you haven't already. Denzel and Goodman versus a Rolling Stones loving demon. Good shit.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Just watched Looper. Thought the concept was actually alright, definitely less feather-headed and fucked up than Inception. The ending though was completely baffling. So, the Rainmaker kid wasn't Joseph Gordon-Levitt/Bruce Willis, right? Looper meant he saw the future in that he saw that if Rainmaker's mother was killed by him then Rainmaker would end up running away in the same fashion he had to and thus would be bitter enough to spend the future killing Loopers? 'Cause it made things rather confusing and for a second sounded like he was saying he is the kid, which doesn't make much sense.

Also, Joseph needs to stop doing movies that appropriate horrible pieces of old-timey language. Blunderbuss? Seriously? In the future, that phrase is coming back?
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

I'll have to watch Looper again but I thought it was pretty uninspiring the first time through.

Yeah I don't know that it was inspiring by any means but it was definitely less shitty than Inception which committed one of the most egregious acts of just completely bailing on the rules of the world they'd established in order to create a heightened tension that didn't need to be there. Plus I kinda dig the idea of murder being so difficult to get away with in the future that you have to send victims back to the past, that actually makes some sense in a weird way. All the shit about "closing the loop" was just bizarre though. Why the fuck do the people who employed these loopers give a flying fuck about killing you thirty years from now exactly?
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    "On my birthday I made everyone go see The Avengers. Do you like Thor? Chris Hemsworth? He's so good-looking. I think he should be Christian Grey."

My 10-year-old also likes Chris Hemsworth. I know no one cares, but I am just illustrating his broad appeal to ladies of all ages.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Yeah I don't know that it was inspiring by any means but it was definitely less shitty than Inception which committed one of the most egregious acts of just completely bailing on the rules of the world they'd established in order to create a heightened tension that didn't need to be there. Plus I kinda dig the idea of murder being so difficult to get away with in the future that you have to send victims back to the past, that actually makes some sense in a weird way. All the shit about "closing the loop" was just bizarre though. Why the fuck do the people who employed these loopers give a flying fuck about killing you thirty years from now exactly?
    I agree that it's less shitty than Inception. Watching Inception the second time through was like hammering nails of exposition into my skull for 2 hours.

"Uninspiring" means I finished Looper and went... "uh huh". I'll have to watch it again to see if I like it any better.

Yeah I definitely don't feel particularly compelled to watch it ever again. It was a nice idea, I was initially annoyed at how they just side step the paradox issue but then kinda pleased by it. Paradox problems in time travel stories have just gotten insanely irritating. As soon as the Rainmaker kid comes into play though I found myself really annoyed with Joseph Gordon Levitt. "Are you fucking kidding me? SHOOT THAT KID IN THE FACE."

Concept art for next four Pixar films:

Relieved at the lack of Cars III
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I'm intrigued by the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post

For the record, I'd just like to say that Thor was way more enjoyable in Avengers than he was in his own solo movie.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Got that Bond 50 set for Christmas. Very excited to start watching these again, yet I know that excitement should be tempered by the fact that I'm going to put myself through seeing Moonraker and Die Another Day again. On the flipside, I have the Star Trek Original Movie series on blu, and I still haven't had the heart to watch Star Trek V.

Theme night listing:

The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

God help me, watching Take This Waltz on Netflix this weekend caused me to have an orgy dream about Seth Rogen. I couldn't have a dream involving Michelle Williams or the other cute guy, it had to be Seth.

My gf and I watched two movies on NYE (we're so exciting): Harold & Maude and Conan The Barbarian (yes, the original). Both have excellent soundtracks. Also, outside of voicing the most famous movie villain of all time, James Earl Jones should have played more villains in his career.
    Last edited by tyles; 01-02-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Theme night listing:

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    My gf and I watched two movies on NYE (we're so exciting): Harold & Maude and Conan The Barbarian (yes, the original).
    And then you curated ten pages of MotorAve troll posts and responsive insults.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    And then you curated ten pages of MotorAve troll posts and responsive insults.
    It's what I do!

Theme night listing: