Page 930 of 1030 FirstFirst ... 925926927928929930931932933934935 ... LastLast
Results 27,871 to 27,900 of 30892

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Was not a fan of Holy Motors. Granted I was tired from not being able to get into the Amour screening yesterday, then having to waiting for Motors to start an hour & a half late. It was a trouble keeping focus on the film. However, I think I saw enough of it to believe I don't really need to give it another chance. Did not live up to the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by VigoTheCarpathian View Post
    Cabin In The Woods was fucking funny
    Watched it last night. I had a fantastic time watching that movie.
    It was remenicent of Botched, Feast series, and little hints of Funny Games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

I saw Man With the Iron Fists last night. I thought it was pretty good. Russel Crowe was actually really good in this, in a comedic relief kinda way. I want his knife gun. That thing was fucking sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

This past weekend, one new movie and a bunch of re-watches:

Certified Copy
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
    10 Things I Hate About You
    The Godfather Part II
    Raiders of the Lost Ark

I need to go to a movie theater lol

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

RED STATE

Caught most of this on Showtime. Pretty fucked up, predictable but still twisted. The 'trumpets' at the end gave me chills. They should have gone with the 'original ending' (wiki it)

Yeah, I thought the ending was pretty great, got chills as well when the trumpets came in, but ive never read the original ending before. That shit would have been crazy.
    During various interactive Q&As for the film, Smith has stated that the original ending actually continued through with the trumpets signaling the Rapture. After Cooper tells Keenan to shoot him, Cooper's chest explodes, followed by the remaining family members' chests exploding one by one, and then the remaining agents' chests exploding one by one. During these deaths, the ground shakes and splits, and Keenan curls up on the ground and closes his eyes. When he opens his eyes he sees the last agent killed with a giant sword coming out of his chest, which is being wielded by an enormous armored angel. The angel looks at Keenan, puts a finger to his lips, and says "shhhhh". The angel then flies off into the sky, and as the angel banks out of the picture, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse descend

This reminded me of a movie called "The Rapture" starring Mimi Rogers. It really struck a chord with me at the time I saw it, but so disturbing. I read a review that stated, "Under no circumstances should a child see this movie". It was really hard to watch. Now I'm really curious about Red State.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Now I really want to see that movie.

If you haven't seen Red State it's basically about a Westboro Baptist type cult on crack, crossed with the Branch Dividian siege in Waco. Some kids looking for sex get drugged and wake up captive in the middle of a church service. Eventually the ATF is brought in and it becomes all out war. Kind of over the top stuff but pretty gripping. And yeah I can't express the feeling I got w/ those trumpets. My mouth was literally gaping for 5 minutes there. I was pretty disappointed with how they handled it (apparently a budgetary issue)

I stopped watching it once they started torturing/killing the sexed up guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

The story in The Rapture takes some time to develop, but also involves a somewhat cult-like religious movement, and how the main character's involvement, and her family's involvement with it, begins and grows. Starting off it can seem a bit slow, (I think in order to get through all the fine details of the storyline) but I thought Mimi did a great job of showing the change and transformation of her character.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I stopped watching it once they started torturing/killing the sexed up guys.
    i missed about 10-20 minutes there but its way better after that.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I'll write more in the near future, but I can say without question that Post Tenebras Lux has ruined AFI Fest for me, and I mean that as a compliment. It was the first film I saw and it's such a rapturous, horrifying, transcendent experience that everything I've seen since has felt like less than cinema.

Leviathan came closest to making me forget about it for a moment; that one is a truly staggering feat of image capture, using the real life mechanics of a commercial fishing boat to create an impressionist vision of brutality in nature (ideas that PTL also tackles), but even at 87 minutes it starts to feel a bit redundant at some point. I don't think that's thematically inappropriate (it appears that every day is exactly the same in this world) but it kept it from being an unqualified triumph for me.

Something in the Air was my first Assayas, and I know Chris will disagree, but I thought it was weak sauce. It's about a bunch of left-wing teenagers coming of age in early-70's France (and abroad); I'm under the impression it has echoes of Assayas' own coming-of-age, but it felt completely hollow to me. There's no depth to the political content (which is basically used as a self-actualization device and nothing else) or any of the relationships between the characters. It reminded me a lot of the upcoming Not Fade Away, actually - another portrayal of the young and artsy searching for themselves against a backdrop of mid-20th century turbulence which is passable, but emotionally and dramatically vacant.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

The Hunt is not only the best film I caught at AFI this year, but possibly the best film of the year. This one floored me.

I'm going to echo Gabe's sentiments about Post Tenebras Lux. It was my first Reygadas film and I was absolutely blown away by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Was not a fan of Holy Motors. Granted I was tired from not being able to get into the Amour screening yesterday, then having to waiting for Motors to start an hour & a half late. It was a trouble keeping focus on the film. However, I think I saw enough of it to believe I don't really need to give it another chance. Did not live up to the hype.
    After seeing the trailer and reading the reviews, this is the upcoming film I'm most excited to see (and of course it's not playing within 200 miles of me at any time in the next few months). I'm not allowing this to dissuade me in my excitement one bit.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Red State is by far the best Kevin Smith movie, from a "fan of movies" perspective. It's really good once it gets going, and nobody who saw the final 75% would guess it was a Kevin Smith film, which is sadly a compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    After seeing the trailer and reading the reviews, this is the upcoming film I'm most excited to see (and of course it's not playing within 200 miles of me at any time in the next few months). I'm not allowing this to dissuade me in my excitement one bit.

I seem to be in the vast minority on this (most everyone I went with either liked it or loved it) but I really, really disliked it. I can usually find some kind of silver lining amongst most films that I don't care for, but this one caused an almost violent level of vitriol from me. I'm not sure quite what it is that made dislike it so much, but I absolutely loathed it.
    Last edited by TallGuyCM; 11-07-2012 at 12:43 AM.
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace
    11/14 - Flying Lotus - Wiltern (?)
    11/22 - The Dream Syndicate - Echoplex (?)
    12/03 - Jonathan Richman - Bootleg (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Red State is by far the best Kevin Smith movie, from a "fan of movies" perspective. It's really good once it gets going, and nobody who saw the final 75% would guess it was a Kevin Smith film, which is sadly a compliment.
    Watched it last night. Pretty enjoyable but I thought the preacher ranted too long sometimes. It would have been great if they could have stayed with the original ending, but budgets are a bitch.

I kept thinking that eventually one of the actors was going to start getting snarky in a Kevin Smith fashion but no one really did and I respected him for that.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I seem to be in the vast minority on this (most everyone I went with either liked it or loved it) but I really, really disliked it. I can usually find some kind of silver lining amongst most films that I don't care for, but this one caused an almost violent level of vitriol from me. I'm not sure quite what it is that made dislike it so much, but I absolutely loathed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    I missed my AFI screenings of Holy Motors, but I'm super excited to see it at Cinefamily in a few weeks. I'm also really hoping Tabu gets some run here, as I was too tired for that one yesterday.

Joe, did you see Something in the Air? As a long-time Assayas guy, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Super fucking excited for this:

Going to the AFIfest "secret screening" tonight at Graumen's. Whatever that may be.

Variety says it's Skyfall. In a related story, I have a couple extra tickets if anyone needs them...

Uhh just saw it and was coming here. Same I suppose. Going to see it this weekend with my dad since its his birthday and all. Could still be fun but not with all the other billion things going on this week.

The rumor I heard this morning is that it would be Django Unchained. I would have still had minor reservations about skipping a movie that comes out in April (Simon Killer) for a movie that comes out in December, but at least it would be an electric environment with it having been a world premiere. Seeing any movie that has been out in the UK for a month and which drops here in two days would not have that factor - let alone that Bond is among my least favorite movie franchises ever.

<--- Jealous

Upcoming shows
    Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events

thestripe

Watched the Tree of Life last night. What a great experience. Every single shot is gorgeous. I don't think I moved for the entire 2.5 hours the movie ran. I already want to watch it again.

We Bought a Zoo was freakin' adorable

Upcoming shows
    Events

I saw Cloud Atlas and I really, really liked it. Although, reading Gabe's review, I have to admit that he's right on all accounts. I wasn't bothered by a lot of the things in the film that should have bothered me, but the one thing that did get me was the casting. Very rarely did the casting races into other races not look... weird. Also, while I thought Tom Hanks was fine in the Sloosha's Crossing storyline (the post-apocalyptic one) and the Half Lives: A Luisa Rey Mystery, I thought he did come off very sketch comedy-ish in the others... Some of the casting gimmicks did work for me, though. I loved that Hugo Weaving played the mean nurse in The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish. I was also surprised to see that the young Sixsmith and the old Sixsmith were played by the same actor. That old person make-up sure fooled me... Also, I though Hugh Grant was pretty good in this.

As far as the content of the stories, I wasn't bothered by their inconsistency and problems, because, well, the same can be said of the novel. This is what I was expecting. Just like in the book, my favorite story (one that I love, actually) was the Letters from Zedelheim (the music storyline), because it was very straight-forward, and it wasn't trying too hard to fall into a genre . I love David Mitchell, and this book got me into him, but I have to admit that it isn't his best work. The Luisa Rey Mystery comes off as a badly-written detective fiction, and even though we learn in the Timothy Cavendish comedy that it is supposed to be a badly-written detective fiction, it is still as fun to read (and watch) as a badly-written detective fiction. I mean, I admire what he was doing, but I don't like that section. I also don't really like the Orison of Somni-451 and Sloosha's Crossing stories, because the former is way too cliché and the latter is quite confusing. That being said, I loved the visuals in the movie for Somni-451... I did enjoy the Timothy Cavendish storyline (the old people one), but it isn't exactly an amazing story. It is supposed to be a movie-comedy, and I think it works all right... I also enjoyed the Pacific Journal storyline, as I also did in the book. I think the twist in that story is creepy and good, but I don't like Tom Hank's casting in this one.

All in all, I really want to go watch it one or two more times at the theaters. I loved the visuals and the music. Sometimes it was weird, but I like that they presented all the stories at once, instead of how Mitchell did it (first half of 1,2,3,4,5, all of 6, last half of 5,4,3,2,1). Mitchell's presentation worked in the novel, but it might have been oddly paced in the movie. There were so many times when the gimmicks pulled me out of the movie, but then, Mitchell's gimmicks do the same for some of his books. Despite its faults, there were moments in the movie that got me quite emotional and moved.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I saw Skyfall in IMAX last night. I'm not going to write up a full critical review or anything but I will say that Javier Bardem's character acting is superb and pretty much carries the film. But there's one thing that deeply perturbed me (spoilers, I suppose):

In the scene where they are in the underground tube and the bomb goes off and Bond is like "was that for me?" and then Javier's like, "no but this is" and then the train comes crashing through WHY ARE THERE NO PASSENGERS ON THE FUCKING TRAIN DURING RUSH HOUR? WHEN ALL THAT HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED FOR THE PRIOR 10 MINUTES IS HOW GOD DAMNED CROWDED THE LONDON TUBE IS DURING RUSH HOUR?

If anyone can coherently explain how I'm supposed to make logical sense of that scene I'll be much obliged.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

In search of a good film to watch with a few cocktails tonight, I randomly stumbled upon Peter Weir's The Last Wave (just one entry in the massive Criterion library streaming on Hulu Plus). I hadn't heard of the film itself, nor of the director before, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. With the sudden drop in temperature, I think I also might have been subconsciously seeking something that was also cold and dreary, and this did the trick in that regard as well.
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace
    11/14 - Flying Lotus - Wiltern (?)
    11/22 - The Dream Syndicate - Echoplex (?)
    12/03 - Jonathan Richman - Bootleg (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare