Page 924 of 1026 FirstFirst ... 919920921922923924925926927928929 ... LastLast
Results 27,691 to 27,720 of 30774

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by atom heart View Post
    I wasn't super satisfied with the film though, and it's been needling at me too. My favorite part of the whole thing was the frog toy communicator booty call!
    Agreed.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atom heart View Post
    The voiceover really bothered me, because much of it ran in parallel to what was happening on screen. If it wasn't there I would have still understood what was going on. It seemed like a total misuse of noir-ish voiceover (nb: I don't know many noir films, but I think the purpose is more than just for exposition). In that sense it reminded me a lot of Inception, which was way too concerned with set up.

I actually liked that the two Joe's conflict was played out at a distance and indirectly for much of the film. I saw it as Willis Joe failing to get the proper perspective and continuing to just shoot his fucking problems down (everything Willis Joe does in the film conforms perfectly to his action-star type which I found amusing) while JGL Joe slows down, sobers up and finally sees something that's not just the inside of a night club or gang hideout.

I wasn't super satisfied with the film though, and it's been needling at me too. My favorite part of the whole thing was the frog toy communicator booty call!
    I agree with your first paragraph 100%. I realized this morning that this movie commits most of the same sins as Inception - the shallow use of female love interest, the absurd over-explanation of its own conventions - and is only marginally more fun.

As for the conflict between the two of them....my feelings toward that have only gotten worse since I typed that up last night. SPOILERS

The conflict between Willis Joe and Joe Joe is absolutely annihilated by the end scene of the film. We see several minor instances (such as the carving directions into his forearm) and one major one (when Cid has his big freak-out in the house and they learn instantaneously that he's the Rainmaker) in which something happens to Joe Joe and then immediately becomes part of Willis Joe's backstory/knowledge inventory. But yet, the growing connection between Joe Joe and Sara/Cid never has any impact on Willis Joe, as the movie continues to hinge upon his single-minded need to kill the boy. I feel like Johnson squandered an ENORMOUS opportunity to dig in and play with the psychological conflict within Willis - this memory of someone he loved, and the desire to kill in order to save her, conflicting with growing feelings toward his marks that he has no control over. But no - Johnson's main focus is on making something hip and slick and self-aware to the point that the movie has a black eye from winking at us so fucking hard.

I really hate to do the Randy thing where I shit all over a movie for choosing to be something other than what I think it should be. But why raise any of these ideas about a person's past haunting/helping them in the future if you're just going to end the movie with a thoughtless set piece?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    WHAT TEENAGER ON PLANET EARTH WOULD FOLLOW U2 ON TOUR
    A 20-something year old "teenager" who runs like a newborn pony. Her attempt to act like a teenager is one of the most uncomfortable moments in film for me over the last half-decade.

There's just something much more dispiriting about Taken than there is about its cheaper looking brethren. I've never been this annoyed by a Jason Statham film, for instance.
    That's because Jason Statham exudes charisma and down-home charm. And makes family favorites such as Crank 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

There's just something much more dispiriting about Taken than there is about its cheaper looking brethren. I've never been this annoyed by a Jason Statham film, for instance.
    I don't doubt a word of what you're saying, but honestly, if you watch more than one of these programmers in a given year, I kind of think you bear some of the responsibility.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Also, everybody who isn't white and American is a chortling cartoon here to buy your slutty yankee women and defile them with their foreign penises, those animals. There is more moustache laughing in this film than you can shake one of your mighty, god-fearing American sticks at. It's not quite up there with 300 on that score - at least all the not-white guys aren't physically deformed or gay too - but it's so laughable that when I asked a middle eastern guy I know if he found it offensive, he told me he'd assumed the whole thing was a parody.
    wasn't everyone in 300 gay?
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex

Everyone in 300 should have been gay, sort of, because the Spartan agoge system was built around institutionalised pederasty, but blah blah blah go to hell Frank Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    A 20-something year old "teenager" who runs like a newborn pony. Her attempt to act like a teenager is one of the most uncomfortable moments in film for me over the last half-decade.
    She's supposed to be 17 or 18 right? She looks 20 something and she acts like a 9 year old. There's a whole bit when she freaks out over the pony at her birthday party. Super weird.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I don't doubt a word of what you're saying, but honestly, if you watch more than one of these programmers in a given year, I kind of think you bear some of the responsibility.
    I do like action movies, I love them, I just wish this stuff wasn't part and parcel of the genre. Lately it feels like there's a weird undercurrent of... I don't know, a kind of conscious or unconscious macho ego backlash, and Taken just brings it to an extreme.

But like I said, in this case, my flatmate made me watch it. I take no responsibility, I was a conscientious objector.

You were complicit in its broadcast in your home. Silence is violence.

I wish Amazon wasn't monopolizing the market with the Universal Classic Monsters Blu Ray set that came out this week. They are pricing it at $111! I'd love to see all of these this month but not at that price. I tried checking a few Best Buys, Costco and Target and no one got a copy in.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Clas...ersal+monsters

Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Coachella Junkie

Ridley Scott is a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    I wish Amazon wasn't monopolizing the market with the Universal Classic Monsters Blu Ray set that came out this week. They are pricing it at $111! I'd love to see all of these this month but not at that price. I tried checking a few Best Buys, Costco and Target and no one got a copy in.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Clas...ersal+monsters
    It's really not that much if you break it down, It's only about $12 a movie if you count the Spanish version of Dracula. Plus all the stores are carrying it online (and charging more than Amazon), I think it's just so expensive for what has become a kind of a niche set that it probably wasn't really viable for them to carry it in store. I've only watched Dracula from the set so far and it looks amazing.

Oh, and also, I probably should have started the post with this info, but the UK set is region free (the same exact discs, I believe) and you can get it for $55 including shipping
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Cl...SO/ref=lh_ni_t
    08/22/14 The Murder City Devils - Great American Music Hall
    11/07/14 The Matches - Slim's
    11/08/14 The Matches - Slim's
    11/09/14 Julian Casablancas + the Voidz - Regency Ballroom
    11/17/14 Bastille - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    11/23/14 Sky Ferreira - the Independent

Quote Originally Posted by AlecEiffel View Post
    It's really not that much if you break it down, It's only about $12 a movie if you count the Spanish version of Dracula. Plus all the stores are carrying it online (and charging more than Amazon), I think it's just so expensive for what has become a kind of a niche set that it probably wasn't really viable for them to carry it in store. I've only watched Dracula from the set so far and it looks amazing.

Oh, and also, I probably should have started the post with this info, but the UK set is region free (the same exact discs, I believe) and you can get it for $55 including shipping
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Cl...SO/ref=lh_ni_t
    Yeah I just wish it came out in all the stores first week at a sale price like $60-75ish then went back to where it is now.

Upcoming shows
    Events

Fuck Universal's horror box - THIS is the Blu-Ray release to care about.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

NO.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Anyone know where I can buy a wall mounted projection screen? Frys carries them but they only sell 4:3 aspect ration, I need widescreen. I know I can order online, but I kind of need it by this weekend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Baffuaro66
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Anyone know where I can buy a wall mounted projection screen? Frys carries them but they only sell 4:3 aspect ration, I need widescreen. I know I can order online, but I kind of need it by this weekend
    Costco is a really good place to look!
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Costco is a really good place to look!
    Thanks, and yeah I checked there last night. They don't. I believe I have exhausted all of my resources. The only place that seems to carry them is Office Depot and Frys. Unfortunately both of those places, as I mentioned, are 4:3...I just figured I'd throw the question out here with the hopes of someone randomly knowing a place to purchase quality screens. It seems online ordering/shipping is the only way to go. Sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Fuck Universal's horror box - THIS is the Blu-Ray release to care about.
    This is bound to get a domestic release eventually. I'm tempted to pick it up anyway, gotta make sure the subtitles aren't burnt in first.

I agree with your first paragraph 100%. I realized this morning that this movie commits most of the same sins as Inception - the shallow use of female love interest, the absurd over-explanation of its own conventions - and is only marginally more fun.

As for the conflict between the two of them....my feelings toward that have only gotten worse since I typed that up last night.

[SPOILERS REDACTED]

I really hate to do the Randy thing where I shit all over a movie for choosing to be something other than what I think it should be. But why raise any of these ideas about a person's past haunting/helping them in the future if you're just going to end the movie with a thoughtless set piece?

I actually thought about this while watching the movie, that idea of connecting them wasn't fully realized. When the movie finally brought them together again I thought they would have some sort of simultaneous epiphany and resolve the conflict. As it is we just got something weirdly Heroes-y. Also there's a weird tension in the film's message: can people escape what kind of people they are?

SPOILERS I GUESS

Joe Joe (thanks for that one) seems to thinks HE can't, but that the kid can. I stopped thinking about the connection problem but this one stuck with me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecEiffel View Post
    This is bound to get a domestic release eventually. I'm tempted to pick it up anyway, gotta make sure the subtitles aren't burnt in first.
    An answer should be here:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/misc/buffalo_66.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Yeah, I was going to post that link too - that's where I heard about this release.

Quote Originally Posted by DVD Beaver
    Subtitles:Japanese, none

Nice! Sold!

So more money is about to get thrown in a pile to be burnt:
    'Terra Nova' co-creator to write "50 Shades of Grey" script

A new short film that I made with my brother and our friend Merne.

Now, I specifically waited until after my birthday to post it here because I don't want any gift reviews. We sort of made this movie up as we shot and cut it, and while I think there are some really interesting/cool ideas beneath it, I don't think they really came through. I think most people will see this as little more than a camera test, but I want to know what (if anything) you get out of it. You know, if you care enough to spend nine and a half minutes watching it in the first place.

I felt this was a look at the daily life of SoulDischarge.

What were your tools for the job? During production and post (FCP/AVID/Premiere). I take it a friend scored it?

Your friend has a great name by the way, he's taken the III to a new level.
    Merne "Mutha Fuckin" Judson The Third

Shot on a 5D Mark II, edited (including what little sound editing took place) in FCP 5. I'm pretty satisfied with how the image quality came out considering how little planning/resources went into it, so I would imagine I'll be using them again on my next, hopefully better-conceived project.

Default lens for the 5D? or do you have a tasty selection? I ask as some shots seemed a bit richer in color than others, or did you color correct a little?

Also, where the fuck were the other girl's parents and has anybody told them their daughter's dead yet?
    Details details

Best line of the movie
    She's been taken!