Page 919 of 1028 FirstFirst ... 914915916917918919920921922923924 ... LastLast
Results 27,541 to 27,570 of 30839

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Yeah, I was floored by both of them. And I know Amy Adams is going to be overlooked due to their performances but that last scene she was in was pretty great.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

Oh, she was killer throughout. So intense.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The Master is wild. Unlike There Will Be Blood, I need more time to digest how I feel about it, but it was definitely a big work. I probably want to watch it again before saying anything more.
    Same here. All the reasons Paul Thomas Anderson films are impressive are there, but my initial reaction when it was all over was "hmmmmm". No question this is the best work of Joaquin Phoenix's career. Best acting of the year so far as i'm concerned. Whole cast is great. The seduction necessary for a character like The Master to have followers is as real as i have ever seen in a film about religion. Pieces are sticking with me, but i'm not sure how i feel about it as a whole and would like to see it again.

Added note: Packed theater and a smattering of unconfident applause when the film ended.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

My feelings on The Master are similar to what you all have expressed, with one major point of dissent - for me, the film contained almost none of the usual surface pleasures of his other films. It's a natural progression from the menacing, unnerving There Will Be Blood, and a further rejection of his bombastic, photographically demonstrative and big-hearted (though no less lived-in or thematically developed) earlier movies. But even TWBB had the familiar elements of a restless camera and a narrative arc that felt, for lack of eloquence, satisfying in the way that I expect from PTA, and thus it was easy to walk out of the theater and feel like it was the best movie I've seen in a decade.

I think it's entirely to the credit of The Master - and a mark of its unimpeachable integrity and thematic rigor - that it resists even that impulse. For the first time, PTA has set aside his desire to show off his directorial flourishes, and chosen to focus on a mentor-protegee relationship that has absolutely no way to be easily resolved. There are plenty of elements to enjoy - the performances are so good that even hyperbolic adjectives fail, and the 70mm photography is hypnotic even though about half the film is shot in close-up - but it feels to me like many people exit this film not entirely sure they're in love with it, and I think that's by design; PTA knows that his audience wants to be wowed, and by restraining those impulses he's made a film that demands the level of careful consideration that its many thematic tributaries (man's animal nature, the duality in the mentor-protegee relationship, the complexities of psychological control on both sides of the exchange) demand. It's a remarkable act of courage in an era where the instant reaction carries more weight than ever. I wanted to convey that idea as a way of helping people who don't feel 100% in love with it initially; I was in that category when I left the Dome last night, even though I couldn't come up with a single criticism apart from Jonny Greenwood's amazing score being perhaps a bit too similar to (or at least, employed in a fashion that felt reductive of) There Will Be Blood. It's okay to have ambivalence about this movie; what's not okay is to accept the snap judgement as the final one.

Otherwise, I will not be diving into this one at great length today. In spite of a productive unpacking session with Jen on the way home, I'm also going to need to see it again before I can address it in a meaningful way. And I'll be seeing it in the Dome at least once more this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Let me know when. I'd be interested in seeing it again and maybe discussing afterwards over a beer at Blue Palms.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Yeah, seeing it again for sure. An absolute experience in the dome. Stunning print. But thats pretty much all I'm sure of at this point. Swimming in ideas over it.

Took a trip to late 30's cinema last night with a double header of "The Adventures of Robin Hood" and "Stagecoach". Good times.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

That is awesome night of adventure.
    10/12/14 Gerard Way - the Fillmore
    11/07/14 The Matches - Slim's
    11/08/14 The Matches - Slim's
    11/09/14 Julian Casablancas + the Voidz - Regency Ballroom
    11/17/14 Bastille - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    11/23/14 Sky Ferreira - the Independent

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Yeah, seeing it again for sure. An absolute experience in the dome. Stunning print. But thats pretty much all I'm sure of at this point. Swimming in ideas over it.
    Cutter, saw you at the screening on Saturday afternoon coming into the theatre, but I didn't get the chance to say hello as I was on a mad dash to the bathrooms before the start of the show. Why did they not let people in the theatre until 10 minutes before the start of the show?

Anyway, I agree with you on that print. It was comforting to see the cue points (or cigarette burns, for those of you who remember that part in Fight Club) on the print. Looked amazing. Fearless performances from the leads. I agree with everyone about seeing it a second time. I also thought the more recent print ads for the movie kinda gave away the ending of the motorcycle scene. I got the feeling that a lot of people in the audience were either stunned or disappointed, like it was going to be the ultimate scientology take-down or Boogie Nights: the Prequel, or both.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    Why did they not let people in the theatre until 10 minutes before the start of the show?
    I think it was because they were cleaning the dome from the show before until close to when the next showing started. I tried to get in the main door early to get refreshments and the lady said something of the such.
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Also nice? Going to the dome, and having the movie screening there not being a damned 3-D eyesore. Seriously, the Arclight needs to stop booking 3-D movies in that place. Thankfully, they offer 2-D screenings of 3-D offerings, but damn. Thankfully, Dark Knight Rises and the Master have helped to rectify this.

Theme night listing:

The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I think it was because they were cleaning the dome from the show before until close to when the next showing started. I tried to get in the main door early to get refreshments and the lady said something of the such.
    Thankfully though, if you have to, the trailers they attacted were mostly to stuff that doesn't look great anyway, so there's that.

Theme night listing:

Thankfully though, if you have to, the trailers they attacted were mostly to stuff that doesn't look great anyway, so there's that.
    For sure. God damn did Lincoln look nauseatingly Spielsberg'd. Syrup-y as fuck.
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Yeah, that Lincoln trailer was pretty much what I expected. The older Spielberg of late seems to switch from doing stuff that you'd expect him to do and then every once in awhile doing something actually really great, like "Minority Report" or "Munich." Personally, I would like a lot more of the later. Thankfully, a lot of his best work is coming out to blu-ray this fall.

Theme night listing:

Coachella Junkie

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Paul Thomas Anderson made a boring and shitty movie?

SHOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

You're a bad human being.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

http://www.criterion.com/library/exp...s=release_date

December releases, Following and Brazil on Blu! Yessss!

Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

A few months ago I was wondering if Criterion would ever pursue getting the rights to The Following... guess I got my answer.

Theme night listing:

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    For sure. God damn did Lincoln look nauseatingly Spielsberg'd. Syrup-y as fuck.
    An awful trailer does not an awful movie make. A trailer is designed to appeal to the people on the fence, not the hardcore film fans who will watch it just because they want to have an opinion.

By the same token, there are scads of shitty movies with strong trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    http://www.criterion.com/library/exp...s=release_date

December releases, Following and Brazil on Blu! Yessss!
    And you didn't mention the Qatsi trilogy?? Wow, those are going to look GREAT.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Heh. I actually just watched Following for the first time on Instant this past week amidst my sick time movie marathons and thought it was pretty unremarkable. There was a lot of room to explore deep issues about voyeurism and invasion of privacy and other skin crawling subjects, but instead it was just a bunch of lamely executed plot mechanics leading to a groan worthy twist. At least Godard's Weekend is finally getting the Criterion release it deserves.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    By the same token, there are scads of shitty movies with strong trailers.
    The Phantom Menace had a great first trailer. Hell, the trailer itself was so popular, I was even at a concert and it was shown before the band (That band being Reel Big Fish... yes, it was definitely 1998).

Theme night listing:

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Down Rodeo View Post
    And you didn't mention the Qatsi trilogy?? Wow, those are going to look GREAT.
    I have never seen those. Have they been available on home releases before? I thought they were only things Philip Glass performed with live. I'm excited to see them
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Cutter, saw you at the screening on Saturday afternoon coming into the theatre, but I didn't get the chance to say hello as I was on a mad dash to the bathrooms before the start of the show. Why did they not let people in the theatre until 10 minutes before the start of the show?

Anyway, I agree with you on that print. It was comforting to see the cue points (or cigarette burns, for those of you who remember that part in Fight Club) on the print. Looked amazing. Fearless performances from the leads. I agree with everyone about seeing it a second time. I also thought the more recent print ads for the movie kinda gave away the ending of the motorcycle scene. I got the feeling that a lot of people in the audience were either stunned or disappointed, like it was going to be the ultimate scientology take-down or Boogie Nights: the Prequel, or both.
    Ahhh man. Well at least you know how I look to say hello another time when there is more time. It was not a cool situation on there part. I know the arclight is prompt but if people that got there on time are still having trouble being seated, and in such quantities as the dome theater, they need to slow down a bit. Really silly. My family and friend barely made it into our as the person was introducing it (which I also thought was unprofesional compared to most "OMG ITS PLAYING IN 4 THEATERS YOURE HERE NOW LETS GO" psshh) Parking was also a bitch that day. Everyone was at the movies since it was 100+ outside I suppose.

I fucking hate trailers, even when PTA is cutting them. But you have to remember they arent made for the cinephiles who will see something just to have an opinion. They are for those on the fence and the motorcycle shots definitely look inspiring/powerful etc.

Its a shame it was framed by the whole scientology aspect and Tom Cruise PTA friendship bit. A few people have mentioned that to me and Ive tried to steer them away from that expectation.

A tough movie for me 3 days later now. I dream of making something of this stature someday but I need to figure out what exactly it captured first.

FUCK YES BRAZIL CRITERION LETSGO!

I have never seen those. Have they been available on home releases before? I thought they were only things Philip Glass performed with live. I'm excited to see them
    I've actually never even heard of this trilogy but a few people have shown a lot of excitement about them so I'm looking forward to checking them out. It will probably come out after the holiday sales but I will pick it up as soon as it's on sale.

Upcoming shows
    Events

Wow, Rex Reed from The Observer took an unwarranted shit on The Master... Dickhead.

http://observer.com/2012/09/the-mast...omas-anderson/
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

As an aside, after watching The Master on Saturday afternoon, we came home and watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Talk about a complete polar opposite in terms of acting styles! Still, I found it very charming and after so many years on this earth, I can finally see Marilyn Monroe's appeal (outside of, you know, physical attributes).

Theme night listing:

I love how Rex Reed references the Brown Derby, a place that's been closed for quite awhile I recall, which speaks volumes of how relevent a review by Rex Reed ever actually is.

Theme night listing: