Page 897 of 1035 FirstFirst ... 892893894895896897898899900901902 ... LastLast
Results 26,881 to 26,910 of 31031

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Immortals and Coraline were both pretty spectacular in 3D as well.

EDIT: just remembered some others...Beowulf, the terrible movie it is, looked incredible in IMAX 3D. Transformers 3 also used 3D extremely well.
    The 3D in Coraline was breathtaking. Depth of field was astounding. That's the only time I thought it worth the trouble taken. Too bad Dakota Fanning's and Teri Hatcher's voices were so grating they basically ruined the film for me. If only they'd cast other actors...
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    Also, Tom Cruise, rock god? Stop. Just stop already.
    Let it be known, anyone who comes in here this weekend after having seen this will get a nice, swift BANLETE to the nuts.
    12/22 - Beachwood Sparks, et al - Echoplex
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Wanted to watch all the Alien movies before Prometheus for the hell of it and wow no one ever told me how good Aliens is, I'd only seen the first one. Instant favorite, that's how a sci-fi movie is done.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    Wanted to watch all the Alien movies before Prometheus for the hell of it and wow no one ever told me how good Aliens is, I'd only seen the first one. Instant favorite, that's how a sci-fi movie is done.
    Kidding? How do you escape the constant circle-jerking on that one? But yes, its great.

Haha I know right... somehow it's evaded me. Now I can see how it has 100% on RT and shit but yeah had no idea what to expect.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

WOW to watch Aliens for the first time! It's the perfect action film. Did you see the theatrical cut or the extended version? The extended one is even better, i barely even watch the theatrical one any more, i remember being so blown when i finally got to see the longer cut.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

Yeah it was the extended version. Great way to see it for the first time I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Let it be known, anyone who comes in here this weekend after having seen this will get a nice, swift BANLETE to the nuts.
    Puts on cup.

Best Prometheus review ever. 100 percent spoilers enclosed!

http://charismagic.tumblr.com/post/2...inutes-or-less

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Saw Moonrise Kingdom last night. I thought it was good, but not great. It was well done and definitely Wes Anderson, but I just didn't get the same feelings for the movie that were engendered by Royals, Rushmore and to some extent Aquatic. Oh well, it's still better than Darjeeling, which I also liked. I'd say Moonrise Kingdom is tied for third with Life Aquatic.
    12/31 NYE w/ Chromeo @ Fort Mason
    02/07 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre
    02/13 Breakbot @ The Mezzanine (?)
    03/02 Caribou @ The Fillmore (?)

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    Barbara Carrera as Fatima Blush - HOT.
    Yes, she was interesting and attractive till her body incinerated. But that had to be one of the worst Bond movies ever and couldn’t make it through till the end.

Anyone for ‘The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel’ with Dame Judi Dench leading the way? I kind of want to see it.

prometheus 8/10

this isn't like you're watching the first mission impossible as a ten year old for the first time. pay afuckingttention.

I have not seen Moonrise Kingdom yet, and who knows when it will finally get released in Hawaii, but this made me chuckle:

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    prometheus 8/10

this isn't like you're watching the first mission impossible as a ten year old for the first time. pay afuckingttention.
    To what, exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

TMZ doesn't recognize Malick as it stalks Benicio del Toro trying to work with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    To what, exactly?
    to the bantam novelization

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I meant the question sincerely even though it came out snarky. I'm not really a fan of the series (love Aliens, saw Alien over a decade ago and didn't care for it, slept on the other two) but if anything, it seems like Prometheus would appeal less to those who are.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I'm an Aliens fan, and I loved it. I love all the movies, except I need to revisit Alien3. For what it's worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I meant the question sincerely even though it came out snarky. I'm not really a fan of the series (love Aliens, saw Alien over a decade ago and didn't care for it, slept on the other two) but if anything, it seems like Prometheus would appeal less to those who are.
    You are correct. Grandma's just being a contrarian. On its own it's a decent movie but when they crammed it down our throats as an Alien prequel (and it seems clear this was wholly the studio's intention, not Scott's) it is riddled with holes.

But now that I'm becoming more convinced of Scott's intended allegory I'm getting even more annoyed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I'm an Aliens fan, and I loved it. I love all the movies, except I need to revisit Alien3. For what it's worth.
    Tywin Lannister bones Ripley.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    Tywin Lannister bones Ripley.
    Oh shit i didn't place that as the same guy. He was great in it too.
    last.fm

Oh! I read that as Tyrion by mistake. I was confused for a minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Oh shit i didn't place that as the same guy. He was great in it too.
    He really is the best part about the shit movie and then has a ridiculous out of nowhere death.

And the CGI is too funny.

What if it's a Doug Benson’s Movie Interruption screening?
    Translation

Sparks @ Ace Hotel 02/14/15
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15

Last.fm

Prometheus has been on my mind a lot this week. And something I realized that was a big part of my apathetic response to it was the characters. In the first two films, I really rooted for Sigourney's character. She was very likeable, and made it easy to be on her side. Prometheus contained absolutely no characters anywhere near as appealing. Noomi Rapace's character was the only one who was even remotely tolerable, but even she was no more than a 6 or 7 out of 10 on the charisma scale.
    12/22 - Beachwood Sparks, et al - Echoplex
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Maybe the extra 20 to 30 minutes in the directors cut will give us a little more in characters. Also I guess there was supposed to be a big fight scene between Shaw and the Engineer but Ridley didn't find it realistic. It'll be a deleted scene on the dvd.

Prometheus has been on my mind a lot this week. And something I realized that was a big part of my apathetic response to it was the characters. In the first two films, I really rooted for Sigourney's character. She was very likeable, and made it easy to be on her side. Prometheus contained absolutely no characters anywhere near as appealing. Noomi Rapace's character was the only one who was even remotely tolerable, but even she was no more than a 6 or 7 out of 10 on the charisma scale.
    The thing about the older movies, aside from Ripley, was that all the characters felt real, especially in the first Alien. I heard a review recently that mentioned the original film almost felt like it was ad-libbed, all the dialogue was so natural and all the over-talking in the table scenes really felt like a fly on the wall conversation. Even in Cameron's film, it's a military film and everything is focused and to to the point and all the joking and shit-talking felt natural for the characters.

In Prometheus almost all of the "personality" given to the characters feels forced, especially in the geologist and biologist characters, both of whom i didn't buy for a second. Besides verbally stating their professions, they offered absolutely nothing to lead me to believe that they were of any value to the mission whatsoever, and they were unfunny assholes. The captain was the only member of the crew that made think of the earlier films.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Phenomena View Post
    Maybe the extra 20 to 30 minutes in the directors cut will give us a little more in characters. Also I guess there was supposed to be a big fight scene between Shaw and the Engineer but Ridley didn't find it realistic. It'll be a deleted scene on the dvd.
    I think the major flaw with the characters isn't that there wasn't enough information given, but rather that they were just written and played totally wrong.

Save for the Shaw and David, and the aforementioned captain, who were all great.
    last.fm

I Watched The Patriot last night for the first time in probably 10 years. It's a lot dumber and sappier than i remembered - I never realized is was directed by Roland Emmerich. Even so, once it kicks into high gear it's pretty damn entertaining. The battle scenes are really exquisite. Emmerich has a great eye for massive violence and mayhem, which this movie has plenty of - canon balls knocking people's heads off, Mel Gibson chopping people up with an axe, hundreds of extras blowing each other to bits in open fields, an entire village being burnt to death. There's enough of this to not really care about historical inaccuracies, non-accents, and the snappy quips of all the supporting soldier roles. It pretends to be a highfalutin drama the same way that Pearl Harbor,m but at least Emmerich had enough sense to make the focus of the film its revenge-story core and as much brutal, relentless, hard R-rated violence as possible, all shot as lovingly as Terrence Malick shoots nature. Jason Isaacs, as I remembered, is the real treat in the whole thing, but it's a shame he's not in it more. He plays the sadistic villain a quiet intensity and a subtlety that seems downright out of place amongst all the noise of the rest of the movie.
    last.fm