Page 891 of 1023 FirstFirst ... 886887888889890891892893894895896 ... LastLast
Results 26,701 to 26,730 of 30680

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    $6 movie tickets from Fandango available through this AmazonLocal deal:

http://local.amazon.com/north-orange...75500_24134710
    Between this deal and a few others, I'm all set for summer blockbusters between now and September. I'll totally see MIB3 for $12/pair, but I doubt it's worth $25+/pair.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by euphonicfiend View Post
    Hey if anyone is interested or is a fan of Miyazaki & Studio Ghibli films they are screening them at Cinefamily in L.A. Ill be checking out Nausicca of Valley of The Wind & Princess Mononoke on June 1st. There are a bunch of others playing as well. Here is the link if anyone would like to check it out : http://www.cinefamily.org/films/studio-ghibli/

Sorry I posted this late, the screening ends June 1st. I just found this thread.
    I will be at Nausicaa but it's this Saturday, not June 1st. I would also like to see Mononoke on June 3rd, but I will have spent 10 hours at Cinefamily the previous day watching Satantango. So that may not happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I will be at Nausicaa but it's this Saturday, not June 1st. I would also like to see Mononoke on June 3rd, but I will have spent 10 hours at Cinefamily the previous day watching Satantango. So that may not happen.
    Oh yes I was getting confused with dates Nausicaa is this sat at 7:30 & 10:30 and Princess Mononoke is June 1st at 7:30 & 10:30 ( not June 3rd) :P
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by euphonicfiend View Post
    Oh yes I was getting confused with dates Nausicaa is this sat at 7:30 & 10:30 and Princess Mononoke is June 1st at 7:30 & 10:30 ( not June 3rd) :P
    The calendar has updated times for Mononoke due to the recently-added Damsels in Distress run. Mononoke is at 10:30 on 6/1 and 7:30 on 6/3.
    http://www.cinefamily.org/#calendar
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I'd love to see Porco Rosso at the theater.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    The calendar has updated times for Mononoke due to the recently-added Damsels in Distress run. Mononoke is at 10:30 on 6/1 and 7:30 on 6/3.
    http://www.cinefamily.org/#calendar
    you have secrets!
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

I have a Black Card membership.

Fancy pants!

Whoa. Jack White's cover of U2's "Love is Blindness" from "The Great Gatsby" trailer is frickin' phenomenal.

You can listen to the whole thing here.

Also, I watched "The Five Year Engagement" today (free ticket) and found it insufferably long and dreary in a lot of parts. Some cute/funny moments, but probably the worst I've seen from the Apatow clan. Jason Segal looked a bit Jabba the Huttish, too. His face looked giant and splotchy next to Emily Blunt's near-perfect complexion. Blunt even made Alison Brie look ho-hum. Movie stars.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Whoa. Jack White's cover of U2's "Love is Blindness" from "The Great Gatsby" trailer is frickin' phenomenal.

You can listen to the whole thing here.

Also, I watched "The Five Year Engagement" today (free ticket) and found it insufferably long and dreary in a lot of parts. Some cute/funny moments, but probably the worst I've seen from the Apatow clan. Jason Segal looked a bit Jabba the Huttish, too. His face looked giant and splotchy next to Emily Blunt's near-perfect complexion. Blunt even made Alison Brie look ho-hum. Movie stars.
    Yeah, I don't know who thought doing a 2 hour romcom would be a good idea. They needed to cut 20 to 30 minutes and it would have been alright. There were some funny moments and some of the San Francisco stuff was filmed about a mile from my house which made it a little more enjoyable. I did like Brie's british accent though.

Finally watched Martha Marcy May Marlene and woah, that movie was intense.. really liked it.

Silly of me to assume I'd be able to see Moonrise Kingdom this weekend. Guess I'll have to wait or catch when I'm down in Hollywoodland.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    Some cute/funny moments, but probably the worst I've seen from the Apatow clan.
    Wrong. Funny People was way worse.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Silly of me to assume I'd be able to see Moonrise Kingdom this weekend. Guess I'll have to wait or catch when I'm down in Hollywoodland.
    What's prohibiting you?

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    Wrong. Funny People was way worse.
    I haven't seen The Five Year Engagement and won't be attempting to, but even though it's from the same Apatow sub-clan, I can't imagine its worse than Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

An hour drive to the closest theater playing it, the Arclight hollywood. Holiday weekend traffic + ticket prices... I'll just wait on it.

True. Also, if anyone is a stickler - the Arclight shows are all digitally projected. The Landmark, on the other hand, is only showing it in 35mm. I feel like this movie, shot in Super16, needs to be seen in an environment where the textural elements can be best appreciated.

EDIT: I say this as someone who generally prefers Arclight to The Landmark by a wide margin.
    Last edited by schoolofruckus; 05-25-2012 at 05:25 PM.

'Pixote' was sad, but beautiful and pure. Youthful encounters getting over the deceased relationships quickly. No wonder the acclaim.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i'm happy to FINALLY be seeing bully tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I really didn't see the tie-in for a coors light/Prometheus ad, but now that I think about it they're both representative of the beginning stages of something horrible, and frightening to come.

Tonight, the TallGuy household held an '80s double feature (both first-time viewings) of Robocop and Labyrinth.

I really loved Labyrinth, the sheer amount of imagination and creativity that went into it was pretty amazing. Y'all are crazy in regards to Robocop though. I mean, I liked it well enough, I just don't see exactly what everyone loves about it so much.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I think Robocop is a big nostalgia trip. I remember it being on a couple times when I was younger and thinking it was just crazy insane awesome, and now I only like watching it with my Dad since he pumps it up so much while we watch.

Its just one of those "yeah, badass movie" but you move along deals for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Tonight, the TallGuy household held an '80s double feature (both first-time viewings) of Robocop and Labyrinth.

I really loved Labyrinth, the sheer amount of imagination and creativity that went into it was pretty amazing. Y'all are crazy in regards to Robocop though. I mean, I liked it well enough, I just don't see exactly what everyone loves about it so much.
    Crazy for saying essentially the same thing?

Haneke again motherfuckers. Can't wait to see this one.

My opinion of the Cannes awards based on having seen absolutely none of what played there:

Palme d'Or: Amour (Michael Haneke) - weak
    Grand Prix: Reality (Matteo Garrone) - weak
    Prix du Jury: The Angel's Share (Ken Loach) - no comment
    Best Director: Carlos Reygadas, Post Tenebras Lux - FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Best Screenplay: Cristi Mungiu, Beyond the Hills - approved
    Best Actress: Cosmina Stratan and Christina Flutor, Beyond The Hills - approved
    Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen, The Hunt - approved
    Camera d'Or: Beasts of the Southern Wild (Benh Zeitlin) - excited to see this

Also, my first dance with Miyazaki was a resounding success. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is incredibly awesome.

I thought Beyond the Hills looked awful. I didn't like Gomorrah but think Reality looks interesting.

and it goes without saying that Haneke and Reygadas have my attention.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 05-27-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Really? What did you see of Hills? I've only seen a few brief isolated clips and I have really high hopes (obviously motivated by his last one).

Gomorrah sucks - one of the most overrated films of recent years. I like the story about the lead actor from Reality having to be granted a prison work release to shoot his scenes, but it sounds like the movie has an exceedingly obvious point of view.

I've been saying on Twitter all week that the negative reviews of Post Tenebras Lux - and there have been dozens of them - only make me want to see it more. Really hoping this prize helps them get a US distributor.

Also, I am kind of excited to see Amour. Maybe it'll break the seal for me?

I saw a trailer for Beyond the Hills a couple months back in the theater. Also the clips online. I haven't heard anything reassuring about it either. I loved 4 Months... but don't have high expectations for this one.

And Amour looks a bit different (and also very similar), so I'm excited to hear your thoughts.

I keep hearing Bresson comparisons on Beyond the Hills, and that couldn't be more perfectly timed to pique my interest.