Page 890 of 1028 FirstFirst ... 885886887888889890891892893894895 ... LastLast
Results 26,671 to 26,700 of 30838

Thread: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Default Re: Schoolio's Movie Corner

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    Exactly. I love The Fall, but next to Baraka it might as well have been shot by Kevin Smith.
    ^100% sig-worthy.
    This thread is responsible for bringing Baraka into my life. This thread is holy. There is no language equipped with the forms of expression capable of communicating my infinite gratitude. May you all Monkey Dance into eternity beyond this life.
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '13.1
    LAST.FM

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Yorick View Post
    This thread is responsible for bringing Baraka into my life. This thread is holy. There is no language equipped with the forms of expression capable of communicating my infinite gratitude. May you all Monkey Dance into eternity beyond this life.
    Real talk. My sentiments exactly.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

One of the film professors at the community college I went to has a screening of it once a semester, for free in the big auditorium/theater. Most of the other profs offer extra credit for a write up/proof of attendance (you know, that kind of thing). So there are always a lot of people that would never see it but are seeking out a few points in their intro to film class that ended up being a real amount of work. On both occasions I went, cus hey you dont pass up any opportunity for that on a big screen, there were multiple people crying in the audience. Being total open (or even coaxed) to something but still extremely uninformed is always an extremely unique mindset to go into things with.

Can't wait to see Samsara in the theater this summer.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    The other day I was part of the first audience to see Killing Them Softly. I'll just say to all you Andrew Dominik fans, heed the warning that was sent to us when they change the films title. It was far from the worst film I've ever seen, but I'd be shocked if it takes home any awards at this years Cannes film festival. It can be greatly improved between now and it's release date, but I doubt so much as to make it an excellent film. It's main problem is it's incredibly heavy handed with its political message, the music used in the film is very cliched & there are too many scenes in which the characters are just rambling on.
    The Cannes reviews I've been skimming from this morning have been wildly enthusiastic, largely because of the film's political viewpoint and anti-action film aesthetic. I need to figure out a way to see this today.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Also, if my Twitter feed was the Cannes jury, Leos Carax's Holy Motors would be running away with the Palme. Anyone have a suggestion on where to start with his work?
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

I don't even think this trailer will be a 50-50 proposition. I'm fairly sure 80% of people will hate it - and will probably also hate the film itself. And they will all be wrong. This is going to be mind-blowing; Baz has absolutely nailed the decadence of Fitzgerald's Roaring Twenties, and if he can take enough of a subversive angle to it (which, granted, is no sure thing), this has a chance to be an all-time great reinvention of a classic book. Between this and Django Unchained, I'm genuinely not sure which film I will see first on Christmas.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Looks great! i am a complete 100% unabashed Baz Luhrmann fan though.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I have never been a big Luhrmann fan and I think it looks great. I think that's partly because I adore Carey Mulligan, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post

Can't wait to see Samsara in the theater this summer.
    That's when I realized I watched (observed? consumed? absorbed?) Baraka the day the trailer for Samsara was released... Praises be to the Coachella gods for aligning my stars.

Also, Gatsby looks much more refreshing than I expected.
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '13.1
    LAST.FM

I'm also not much of a Baz Luhrmann fan, but I'll withhold judgment on this one until I see it. Given the current economic climate, I could certainly see this one resonating in some interesting ways.

But nevermind that shit... I just watched Assault On Precinct 13 (the original) and think I may have just seen John Carpenter's best film. I know what you're thinking, and as an unabashed lover of The Thing I'm right there with you, but I think the two are actually very close.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

I would be hard-pressed to call that Carpenter's best, but Assault On Precinct 13 is pretty perfect horror film. He was pretty young and the genre, as it was at that time, was pretty young, and he just hit everything just right. The tension is nuts and you really do end up loving the characters.

I have a hard time stacking that up against The Thing, Escape From New York, Christine, Halloween, Big Trouble In Little China, or They Live, but as a pure genre film it's pretty pitch perfect.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Love Precinct 13.

Yeah, um, that trailer looks lovely; is there any doubt that Luhrmann and his team know how to make pretty things? But a healthy dose of skepticism about the man behind Romeo+Juliet, Moulin Rouge and the dreadful Australia seems pretty reasonable.

I meant to post this a couple of weeks back now. I caught Terence Davies' newest film The Deep Blue Sea -- I think it's out of theatres now. Beautiful, nuanced, deeply sensitive, lovingly shot, unforced. Everything you would expect from a Terence Davies film. I wish he were a bit more prolific; no one quite makes films the way he does. Rachel Weisz is mesmerizing in this one, too.

Great Gatsby looks a little too colorful. My own imagination has it rendered in such a way in my head that I'd probably be upset with any adaptation but its just a little much.

Precint 13 is great, but the score is even better.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Coachella Junkie

Wrong. Precinct 13 is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I would be hard-pressed to call that Carpenter's best, but Assault On Precinct 13 is pretty perfect horror film. He was pretty young and the genre, as it was at that time, was pretty young, and he just hit everything just right. The tension is nuts and you really do end up loving the characters.

I have a hard time stacking that up against The Thing, Escape From New York, Christine, Halloween, Big Trouble In Little China, or They Live, but as a pure genre film it's pretty pitch perfect.
    Love Precinct 13.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    I haven't seen it and I trust all your opinions on horror films. I guess I will have to watch it and judge for myself.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Precint 13 is great, but the score is even better.
    This is the correct opinion.

I love all of Carpenter's early scores
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Fuck that noise. It's an incredibly tense and brutal piece of genre work.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

$6 movie tickets from Fandango available through this AmazonLocal deal:

http://local.amazon.com/north-orange...75500_24134710

Sean Durkin is doing a ten episode television adaptation of The Exorcist. Could be very interesting, though they haven't announced/don't know where it will air.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Assault on Precinct 13 in no way qualifies as a horror film. It is also rather shitty in retrospect, but I'd imagine at the time it came out it was cool. Saying that it's even in the same league as masterworks like The Thing and Big Trouble In Little China is fucking crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

I loved Precinct 13 as a kid, but aside from that opening sequence, its fangs no longer have all that much bite, whereas The Thing and Big Trouble still play perfectly.
    It's still a tightly made film and there's much about it that works, but it's impact has faded quite a bit since its release.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

— Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Hey if anyone is interested or is a fan of Miyazaki & Studio Ghibli films they are screening them at Cinefamily in L.A. Ill be checking out Nausicca of Valley of The Wind & Princess Mononoke on June 1st. There are a bunch of others playing as well. Here is the link if anyone would like to check it out : http://www.cinefamily.org/films/studio-ghibli/

Sorry I posted this late, the screening ends June 1st. I just found this thread.
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    $6 movie tickets from Fandango available through this AmazonLocal deal:

http://local.amazon.com/north-orange...75500_24134710
    Between this deal and a few others, I'm all set for summer blockbusters between now and September. I'll totally see MIB3 for $12/pair, but I doubt it's worth $25+/pair.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by euphonicfiend View Post
    Hey if anyone is interested or is a fan of Miyazaki & Studio Ghibli films they are screening them at Cinefamily in L.A. Ill be checking out Nausicca of Valley of The Wind & Princess Mononoke on June 1st. There are a bunch of others playing as well. Here is the link if anyone would like to check it out : http://www.cinefamily.org/films/studio-ghibli/

Sorry I posted this late, the screening ends June 1st. I just found this thread.
    I will be at Nausicaa but it's this Saturday, not June 1st. I would also like to see Mononoke on June 3rd, but I will have spent 10 hours at Cinefamily the previous day watching Satantango. So that may not happen.

I will be at Nausicaa but it's this Saturday, not June 1st. I would also like to see Mononoke on June 3rd, but I will have spent 10 hours at Cinefamily the previous day watching Satantango. So that may not happen.
    Oh yes I was getting confused with dates Nausicaa is this sat at 7:30 & 10:30 and Princess Mononoke is June 1st at 7:30 & 10:30 ( not June 3rd) :P
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby